Man stabbed and mugged for GTA V

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A man was walking home in the early hours of the morning after getting the game when he was hit with a brick and then stabbed, the mugger then nabbed his copy of GTA V and legged it. Fortunately the victim wasn't killed but it is still a shitty thing to happen.

It's odd that they focus on the game considering other things were stolen, but I guess it makes for a better story than 'Man mugged. No one arrested.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24127999

I almost want to bet that this happened when the WiiU was released or when the latest CoD was released, and it just wasn't commented on. Depends really on where it was in the headlines; people can and do get mugged for less in some cities in this country - though they are often singular events - it could of course represent just a simple reportage of a crime, but that seems unlikely.

So somebody stabbed him, took all his valuables, and since one of those was a videogame, the media decided that must have been the mugger's main goal, rather than his watch, wallet or cell phone?

I imagine it was the fact it was the early hours of the morning and therefore dark that made the guy a target, as opposed to what he was carrying.

The sad thing is the article reads more like an advertisement for GTA V than an actual news story. It goes into detail about the game in the title and three paragraphs, briefly mentions that other items were stolen and the rest is what the police said and his condition.

I'd be laughing at the irony if the victim in question didn't get hurt. :/

But yeah, that really sucks.

Legion:
The sad thing is the article reads more like an advertisement for GTA V than an actual news story. It goes into detail about the game in the title and three paragraphs, briefly mentions that other items were stolen and the rest is what the police said and his condition.

That's what I found odd too, it's weird that the Beeb would report on any old mugging and they didn't even ask people who may have information to contact the police.

scorptatious:
I'd be laughing at the irony if the victim in question didn't get hurt. :/

But yeah, that really sucks.

Actually as I waiting in line to get the game last night, I wondered how ironic it was that to play a game were we play degenerate pyschopaths we had to civilly and patiently stand on a line and pay actual money for it.

CriticalMiss:

It's odd that they focus on the game considering other things were stolen, but I guess it makes for a better story than 'Man mugged. No one arrested.'

Honestly, I think the sheer irony of it makes it worth keeping the game as the centerpiece for what was stolen.

With that said, though, I'm glad it sounds like the guy is recovering fine.

A gang of law abiding citizens turned violent because of the close proximity of GTA5. :-) Poor guy, he was robbed because criminals knew people are queuing to buy this game so they knew that their victim would have a game. Same way criminals well wait during the day one sale of PS4/XB1 because they know people will have things worth stealing.

I read this on yahoo.co.uk and the first two lines were about the guy being mugged and where. The other 10 lines were about the game, how much it cost etc An this is why i dont buy games at midnight....and if i did, i would never go alone. When me and my cousin by consoles we team up so it makes us less of a target.

Poor guy, why did they need to stab him? Sure he would have given them the game etc. Bunch of fucking cowards.

I can imagine this may have happened a lot for a few releases, considering the number of shitholes in england. But perhaps the media found something to shine on in this case...or even the victim found it necessary to contact the media. Maybe to earn back the money to buy the game again ;)

Pink Gregory:
I almost want to bet that this happened when the WiiU was released or when the latest CoD was released, and it just wasn't commented on. Depends really on where it was in the headlines; people can and do get mugged for less in some cities in this country - though they are often singular events - it could of course represent just a simple reportage of a crime, but that seems unlikely.

I have a similar story about something like this back when the Wii and PS3 launched. When the Wii launched down where I am, there were about 14 people who ended up getting trampled when trying to get one.
When the PS3 launched about 4 or 5 people were shot for their PS3s.

Ah, people prizing material things over actual lives...>.>

People need to calm their tits about GTA V. Seriously, I feel like people are maybe overreacting about how good it is. It's a strong game, GOTY contender most likely judging by audience reactions, but it's not the best game ever.

I wonder if he'll find beating people in game and taking their stuff anywhere near as entertaining now?

You would think that a man who has purchased a GTA game would be more aware of criminal elements around him.

This is just another in a long string of ironic game purchase/mugging crimes over the last few years. I think last year someone who had just bought a CoD game was held at gunpoint but managed to fight his attacker off. And then a year before that, someone who had just bought Skyrim was accosted by a man with a battle-axe.

We live in grim times.

I could expect this from a midnight console launch, it's happened before, but for a $60 game? Really? You couldn't wait until next payday.

Pink Gregory:

I doubt this would happen on any Cash-In of Duty release because everyone already owns Cash-In of Duty so there'd be no one to sell it to.

MAN IN LONDON GETS STABBED

FILM AT ELEVEN

Seriously, they should come down to Canning Town sometime. They'll stab you for a packet of Rizlas round these parts.

BleedingPride:
People need to calm their tits about GTA V. Seriously, I feel like people are maybe overreacting about how good it is. It's a strong game, GOTY contender most likely judging by audience reactions, but it's not the best game ever.

Couldn't agree more. I'm so tired of turning around every corner and someone is screaming their head off about how the game is the next coming of Jesus Christ. Can't wait for the stupid overhype to die down.

I'm not surprised. People will kill for a pair of shiny new LeBron Shoes (or whatever the fuckery they're called), so why wouldn't this be a possibility? Sometimes, I really hate humanity.

Pink Gregory:

I remember a story from back when Modern Warfare 3 (I think) was released where a someone tried to rob a guy at gunpoint to get the game from him, and the victim took the guy's shotgun away and beat his ass.

He was just mugged, that's all.
I'm pretty doubtful the mugger saw his plastic bag in the middle of the night, from a distance, magically knew it was GTA V, and then snatched it from him after a violent assault.

And this is a good reason to buy stuff online IMO. My PS4 will come to me on launch day (Amazon). Don't have to worry about being shot or mugged on release day :)

Now see, if the mugger had just read the Escapist review-

Is the man in bad condition?

Legion:

At least they didn't call the crime "understandable" and say they'd do the same to get their hands on GTA.

cloroxbb:
And this is a good reason to buy stuff online IMO. My PS4 will come to me on launch day (Amazon). Don't have to worry about being shot or mugged on release day :)

You say that now, but wait until criminals figure out how to mail themselves!

Chapter11:
'Muri--Britain? WTF?

It said stabbed not shot . So yeah britain.

OT: hope the guy feels better soon . I also hope there is a mission in the game where you stab a guy to get a videogame . That would be funny ( in a dark kinda way ).

Psychobabble:
I wonder if he'll find beating people in game and taking their stuff anywhere near as entertaining now?

I've been beaten to a pulp on the sidewalk and still play violent videogames. The only difference is that I remember about it now and then. Don't flinch or feel bad, just remember.

lacktheknack:
Now see, if the mugger had just read the Escapist review-

Is the man in bad condition?

The article in the OP says that the man is in stable condition.

Another article seems to suggest that he was attacked by multiple assailants.[1]

And this is why I order my games online rather then queueing up across town in the wee hours of the morning, well, that and work/real life.

DataSnake:
So somebody stabbed him, took all his valuables, and since one of those was a videogame, the media decided that must have been the mugger's main goal, rather than his watch, wallet or cell phone?

It's release night. The man probably had the game in a bag, or even just in his hand. Kind of stands out.

Mugger targets man for the game (because honestly, if he had no interest in it he would have probably left it). Takes other stuff because he might as well.

I know it always feels like games get buttfucked in the media and focused on as the 'source' of Crime X, but I think this time it might have actually been the case. Games are expensive, man.

I remember walking to my apartment in Chicago at midnight after picking up Skyrim a couple of years ago. I probably would have been more worried, but the Loop is pretty well lit at night. Still, Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in the US, so... Anyway, I don't live there anymore, so no worries.

The title of the thread is misleading. It seems more like he was mugged, and the mugger got his copy of GTA. Because it was one of the things he had. And muggers take the things you have. More accurate title would be "Man Mugged after Picking Up GTA". A better title still would be "Man Mugged, Mugger: Asshole". The game's probably only brought up because people who like to attack games as purveyors of violent behavior (ironic much?) love confusing correlation with causation.

People obsessing over GTA is just .... well sad for want of a better word, and yes I REALLY CAN believe that someone would mug and stab someone for a copy of GTA, which is what I think this incident was rather than a criminal just targeting someone for their property in general, especially if they knew the victim had just bought the game and even more so if it was release night. In fact I'm sick of hearing about the game, I mean people are skipping work and school to play it? And now someone has been stabbed over it? FOR A FUCKING GAME? Seriously people need to get their priorities in order, and I say that as an avid gamer.

I think Britain needs brick and knife control laws.

Seriously though that sucks for the guy, loses the game, his phone, and his watch to some punk.

And this is surprising, why? Someone committed a crime to get a game that is nothing but a power fantasy about committing crimes. This seems perfect, actually. Rockstar did everything they could to get the attention of the worst people possible; did they not? They even used real gang members for voice overs for Christ's sake.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked