Saints Row 2 brings PC gaming to shame

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This is what was promised:

Saints Row 2 in amazing 60 FPS in glorious 16:9 resolution.
(This is directly from the Saints Row 2 for PC trailer released yesterday)

This is what was delivered:

The game looks like an Xbox 1 game.
It runs at 7-15 FPS and the game doesn't even supports Wide-Screen resolutions.

After being traumatized with the very poor port of Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC this is really not what PC gamers wanted. The game runs tremendously bad on all computers, even on Hi-End rigs. Not only is it a poor port directly from the Xbox 360 version, but also it suffers from tremendous preformance issues making the game downright unplayable.

After messing around with configuration settings for half an hour I discovered

* The game runs tremendously bad regardless if the resolution. 800x600 or 1600x1200.
It won't make a difference in the preformance

* The sound is mono and will only come out from the left speaker

* The game will run at a slow paced 7-15 FPS even when all settings set to low

* The game does not support widescreen resolutions at all.

* The game does not support SLI nor Crossfire.

Reading some game reviews online:

...I was getting performance around the 15-20 fps mark which I don't think is particularly acceptable in 2009 for such a decent gaming PC. Clearly developers recently feel we should all be running Skulltrail with 3 280 GTXs in SLI to get acceptable performance from our console ports!

Graphically, the game is a disaster. Sure they look nice on still frames, but the whole experience is a rushed and half assed effort which results in a half assed game.

Saints Row 2 is basically the same core game that was on the 360 and Ps3, but it has suffered from a shoddy, half assed port which has all but ruined the experience for PC users. Only if you lower a lot of the graphical niceties does the game speed up to become playable, but you begin to wonder why a machine with almost four times the power of the aging 360 console struggles to keep framerates high. Only those with a ludicrously expensive PC need apply."

Gaming Heaven

From IGN:

The technical shortcomings are the only truly bad part of Saints Row 2, and, sadly for PC gamers, it pretty much kills their experience unless they can play with the bulk of the visual settings turned down or off. Not doing so ruins your gameplay experience.

What does that translate to in terms of quality? A crazy good time. Or at least, what would have been a crazy good time if not for the game's poor coding on PC. For whatever reason the PC version absolutely chugs. Even on my Intel Core2Quad 2.4 GHz with 2GB RAM, an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX, and a Vista 32 operating system, the game ran between twenty and seven frames per second and had a host of other performance issues. In other words, it was nauseating and almost unplayable. The core gameplay is the same, but the general performance basically kills the experience.

This is in essence why the PC is not getting the attention it deserves by the gaming community.

This is a disgrace - No; an INSULT to PC gamers to bare with a port like this by 2009 years standards of gaming.

Oh, and here is the kicker:

In an article posted 2 months ago the developers mentioned this:

The PC version was delayed because we wanted to make the highest quality game across all platforms, but it just needed more time.
The game is a port of the console version from an external company, but that doesn't mean the code can just be copied over, and ship it out.

The PC version is still being produced and tested at Volition with support from the design and programming teams as needed.
This is in no way a hands-off external port of the game.

In the game, when you use the quick-selection function of weapons, there's an Xbox360 controller D-Pad on the screen:

Some of your points were really ridiculous. Sound one one speaker, lmao.
GTA 4 was poorly ported as you wrote too. Are we seeing a starting trend?

Try and port Crysis to a PS3 and then tell me PC gaming has been "brought to shame".

GTA 4 wasn't even this bad. This is a bloody insult to PC gamers. Why the hell would they release it? Even the staff knew how bad it was. Atleast GTA 4 was playable and Rockstar immediately got on the issue. I actually prefer Saints Row to GTA games but this is just f#cking terrible. I waited ages for Saints Row 2 for PC. It promised the world and delivered it but just for console gamers.

Gormers1:
GTA 4 was poorly ported too btw.

After being traumatized with the very poor port of Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC

I'm not a PC gamer for these types of games, but I'd be monumentally pissed if a Total War game was given such treatment.
And that's the problem. The developers know that the game has already made it's money on consoles. Why put any effort into it for the PC? Shame. But surely you PC-ers would have learned your lesson by now?!

To be fair, GTAIV may be a poor performer if you are used to having everything maxxed out, but if you can hold back on your urge to slide everything all the way up, you can run it at 40fps easily at medium or high settings assuming you have a reasonable PC (these days, a basic quad core, 3-4 gigs of ram, and an 8800GT or above graphics card is not exactly unreseasonable).

The moaning for GTAIV comes from people who were expecting to max it out. This simply isn't the case.

Saints Row 2 on the other hand doesn't even give room to max out. I looked it up, and it appears that while GTAIV has had a lot of stuff added to it graphically (higher res textures etc), SR2 had none of the polish.

Sorry for the comparing of the two ports, but they are the closest comparison currently. I would be interested in knowing if SR2 uses 3 of the 4 cores on a quad core like GTTIV does (emulating the behaviour of the tri-core 360).

I hope for SR fans that they patch it for you.

The_Deleted:

Gormers1:

After being traumatized with the very poor port of Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC

Yeah but I edited it a while before you posted this though. Since I sometimes post before having read the whole thing.

I was looking forward to this.
My mistake was having hope it wouldn't be the clusterfuck of issues GTA was.
If anything, it just reinforces my personal philosophy: Hope is BAD. It will only hurt you. Always. Especially recently. Every time you think it is safe to show enthusiasm, Life will decide you're getting too upbeat and kick you in the throat.

CyberAkuma:
In the game, when you use the quick-selection function of weapons, there's an Xbox360 controller D-Pad on the screen:

That's a 360 analog stick too, just to be clear.

I just had to link that picture of the weapon menu to the Saints Row 2 forums. Violation sure did mess up. All the SR2 forums are at the moment are constant posts about how people want their money back or other performance issues.

Gormers1:

The_Deleted:

Gormers1:

Yeah but I edited it a while before you posted this though. Since I sometimes post before having read the whole thing.

That makes two of us, apparently.

so the developers are retarded and are just trying to make as much profit as they can.

Why is THAT not surprising?

To even add more insult to injury, the game is VERY high paced.
The game is A LOT fster than GTA IV.
Driving from 0-60 mph takes less than a second and aiming and firing is really really fast.

Low FPS rates really hurts a game like that.

I say that SR2 is actualy a pretty good game, but it still has several bugs in it as you said

This is why I quit PC gaming.

And speaking as a PC gamer, PC gamers pretty much deserve it. If you release anything on the PC, half the PC gamers out there shit on you by pirating it, if you use DRM to try to stop that, half the PC gamers out there shit on you for using DRM. Why should anyone put a lot of effort into doing a PC game with PC gaming in it's current sorry state?

Lucky for me then, I am in 360.

But that wasn't that great, LOTS of game crashing bugs.

So you're saying because someone else steals the game, honest people who buy those games deserve to suffer?

CmdrGoob:
And speaking as a PC gamer, PC gamers pretty much deserve it. If you release anything on the PC, half the PC gamers out there shit on you by pirating it, if you use DRM to try to stop that, half the PC gamers out there shit on you for using DRM. Why should anyone put a lot of effort into doing a PC game with PC gaming in it's current sorry state?

Sorry state? How? PC gaming still strives, there's still a big market in the PC scene.
Fallout 3? Left 4 Dead? TF2? Those games are just designed for PC.

It's true that it isn't bigger as it was but that's because the consoles just attract the lowest denominator and as we know those tend to be a lot less judgement and critical.

This is a clear example of a bad port, if anyone's brought to shame here it's the developer. Not the platform for fucks sake. That's like me releasing a game composed by 5 minutes of the retarded batman meme on the Xbox and everyone saying that the Xbox sucks. Makes no god damn sense.

I'd like to say though. The consumer deserves to be treated this way? What are you smoking? No one that spends money on something deserves this. Pirates deserve whatever problems they may encounter, not the buyer. Oh and if the gaming market permanently shifts to the console then piracy will too.

ksn0va:
So you're saying because someone else steals the game, honest people who buy those games deserve to suffer?

No, I'm saying there are too many dishonest people and not enough honest people to make it really worthwile to do better.

CmdrGoob:

Good point but it still doesn't excuse the poor quality of the port. Why should the honest part of PC gamers have to suffer because of the ones that pirate every game in sight?

It's at rare times like these that I'm glad to own a 360.

CmdrGoob:

ksn0va:

No, I'm saying there are too many dishonest people and not enough honest people to make it really worthwile to do better.

And if developers don;'t do better then people will not see it as worth their while to support them and piracy will probably just increase as people pirate games they don't see as worth their money to buy as the developers just didn't put work in.

Maybe this is Microsofts secret plan to make everyone by a 360 instead.

CmdrGoob:

ksn0va:

Haha, so somehow those dishonest people are only on the PC are they? You clearly have no idea why piracy is easier on the PC whatsoever.

CmdrGoob:

You may deserve it, I don't.

I pirate games when there isn't a demo, I delete the games when I don't like them and buy them when I do. I can almost guarantee at the very least quater of the pirated copies that publishers wale on about are just pirated for demo purposes.

The only time I shit on DRM is when it breaks basic consumer rights. I didn't mind Starforce, even when it was causing people issues. I started hating SecuROM when EA decided to use it as an advanced form of video game rental, however the SecuROM on GTAIV or FO3 is much less intrusive.

The only game I pirated soley because I disagreed with the company is SPORE. And I am glad I did to be honest.

Try not to make sweeping generalisations, it makes you look thick and your other posts have proven this is not the case.

Richard Groovy Pants:

CmdrGoob:

Sorry state? How? PC gaming still strives, there's still a big market in the PC scene.
Fallout 3? Left 4 Dead? TF2? Those games are just designed for PC.

It's true that it isn't bigger as it was but that's because the consoles just attract the lowest denominator and as we know those tend to be a lot less judgement and critical.

This is a clear example of a bad port, if anyone's brought to shame here it's the developer. Not the platform for fucks sake. That's like me releasing a game composed by 5 minutes of the retarded batman meme on the Xbox and everyone saying that the Xbox sucks. Makes no god damn sense.

I'd like to say though. The consumer deserves to be treated this way? What are you smoking? No one that spends money on something deserves this. Pirates deserve whatever problems they may encounter, not the buyer. Oh and if the gaming market permanently shifts to the console then piracy will too.

Those games are all multi-platform. I haven't played the last two, but Fallout 3, are you serious? The controls are clearly designed for a gamepad first and foremost (just look at the number and arrangement of the weapon hotkeys!). It even has auto aim in the PC version!

The bottom line is, if not enough people actually buy PC games, then there's not much point spending much money on the PC version. Even worse, if some of the people who pirated the PC version might have bought the console version if there was no PC version then releasing a good PC version on time is even more uneconomically feasible.

curlycrouton:
Try and port Crysis to a PS3 and then tell me PC gaming has been "brought to shame".

Well considering that their machines cost a lot more than ours it would seem they would have a right to cry out against being ignored.
PS3: $600.
CHEAPEST PC in a gaming magazine: $699
MOST EXPENSIVE PC in a gaming magazine: $1539

So you can see here with the money they usually spend to make their systems bad asses that they have a right to complain when they were just insulted by lazy developers who tried to make a quick dollar off of a port.

whyarecarrots:

CmdrGoob:

ksn0va:

And if developers don;'t do better then people will not see it as worth their while to support them and piracy will probably just increase as people pirate games they don't see as worth their money to buy as the developers just didn't put work in.

Even when they do well, it doesn't help. Look at CoD4 - it had a great PC port. Still got crappy PC sales. Fallout 3 is a decent port but PC sales aren't great either.

Richard Groovy Pants:

CmdrGoob:

ksn0va:

Haha, so somehow those dishonest people are only on the PC are they? You clearly have no idea why piracy is easier on the PC whatsoever.

Piracy is vastly more frequent on the PC, and that's a fact.

I don't see why people buy PCs for gaming anyway. They are more expensive than buying all of the consoles you would need to play games across the board, and PCs outdate a lot faster. Only games I play on my laptop are retro. For my other gaming needs, I spent roughly 600 on a PS3 and roughly 300 on my 360. It rounds to 900 and my laptop, not a gaming system but relatively good when I bought it, was 1100. You do the math. Oh wait, I already did. Sorry for the loss on Saints Row 2. It's pretty good on Xbox

Mercanary57:

curlycrouton:

Well considering that their machines cost a lot more than ours it would seem they would have a right to cry out against being ignored.

So you can see here with the money they usually spend to make their systems bad asses that they have a right to complain when they were just insulted by lazy developers who tried to make a quick dollar off of a port.

Erm, speaking as a PC Gamer I can confidently tell you that those prices are utter rubbish. I can build a very good quality PC for 230 pounds, and in fact already have done, and am sitting here, using it right now.

Besides, I'm not too bothered about Saint's Row anyway.

Richard Groovy Pants:

Best. Picture. Ever.

CmdrGoob:

Those games are all multi-platform. I haven't played the last two, but Fallout 3, are you serious? The controls are clearly designed for a gamepad first and foremost (just look at the number and arrangement of the weapon hotkeys!). It even has auto aim in the PC version!

The bottom line is, if not enough people actually buy PC games, then there's not much point spending much money on the PC version. Even worse, if some of the people who pirated the PC version might have bought the console version if there was no PC version then releasing a good PC version on time is even more uneconomically feasible.

You have just awakened the Angry PC Gamer in my soul. Be afraid.

A D-Pad? For a game that involves aiming? Hah! Fallout 3 also has optimised graphical capabilities, and of course that added bonus of a keyboard for swift navigation of the menu.

Not enough people are buying PC Games? Have you never heard of Steam? (Twice as many members as Xbox Live may I add). Just because they're not in the stores, doesn't mean people aren't buying them! No, we've advanced beyond that, and are now buying all our games online.

Mercanary57:

curlycrouton:

Actual money you have to spend on a reasonable gaming PC? $400 if that. Look up Eggo's topic on the matter.

Although if you are in Australia I could see where the $600 comes from.

Anyways, this is derailing the topic some what.

Well, it boils down to the fact that I will NOT be buying Saint's Row 2, while I was honestly considering it before due to the good console reviews. Also, I'm pretty sure that lack of sales will be blamed on piracy and not on the crappy port...

CmdrGoob:

Richard Groovy Pants:
*snip*

Who was talking about exclusives?
I'm talking about games which simply go well in the PC. Bioshock surely isn't a exclusive but it's appearance on the PC was remarkable. So there, your first point going moot.

Come on, people don't buy PC games?! Are you serious!? Don't the 11.5 million WoW players, the 10 million Steam users disprove that idea already? What's this archaic thought? Do you know that the sales of Fallout 3 were pretty balanced across platforms? Sure retail might have sold better on the Xbox but that's retail. Digital sales do count.

Your last point leaves me confused though.
Are we talking about hypothesis now? Because if we are then I'll say that tomorrow a meteorite might just crush this planet to dust so it doesn't really matter does it?

CmdrGoob:

Richard Groovy Pants:

CmdrGoob:
[quote="ksn0va" post="9.83213.1154102"]So you're saying because someone else steals the game, honest people who buy those games deserve to suffer?

You're not countering what I said. So I guess you do agree with me that you have no idea why piracy is easier on the PC.

Mercanary57:

curlycrouton:

Seeing as I configured a 16-core, 16GB system for just over €1,200, I reckon you're looking in the wrong place for gaming PCs. Home builds are the way to do it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked