If you could delete one game forever, what would it be?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

As the title says, If you could delete a single game from the history of the Universe forever, what would it be and why? There would be some rules as to the games in questions:

1. Deleting the first game in a franchise would NOT delete the franchise itself (e.g. if you would delete Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica etc would not be deleted)

2. Remakes of the game would not be deleted (deleting LoZ: Wind Waker would not delete Wind Waker HD)

3. Games with multiple expansions like World of Warcraft or Skyrim WOULD delete all expansions for it as they depend on the base game itself. E.g. if you would delete World of Warcraft, it would also delete The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mist of Pandaria and the soon to be released Warlords of Draenor.

4. You have to have played the game for it to qualify

Personally I would delete Bioshock 2 because the story was redundent, converting Adam from a mutagenic compound into a plot device and simultaneously making adam almost worthless and the general feel that it was some random person's fan fiction game made and released by a major publisher

Alright, you ready for this?

None whatsoever. Seriously, none. Do I have games I don't like? Of course, but how would I be aware of my preferences without those games I don't like?

And really, that's the big thing. Every bad game has a LOT of mistakes, and people can learn a lot from those mistakes, and so people can improve at what they do and how they do it. Without those games there, they would just end up making other shitty games because they haven't already made those mistakes.

That's why I wouldn't erase anything.

None. No matter how much I might dislike any game, somebody, somewhere is enjoying it. To erase it would shatter their joy, ruin their fun, take away their happiness. Nobody has the right to take that away from anyone, nor the objectivity to erase anything from history.

I'd kinda want to delete WoW just to see the fallout. Or maybe the next sports games so it goes from Madden 13 to 15 and people of the future will go, "what happened to 14?"

I'd love to delete Halo for bringing FPS to consoles and the FPS boom, but if that one didn't another game would.

To be honest, no game.

I'm serious. A game that you didn't like yourself, could be a real joy for another person. There will be people who will want Pokemon to never fucking exist anymore. However there are millions of Pokemon fans who would be devastated by it.

If you really don't like something....just ignore it.

I'm pretty skeptical that there would be no value in going back in time to prevent a company from spending money on certain games. Choosing to develop and sell certain games was a bad decision. Value would be gained from preventing that decision from occurring. I'm sure some people loved burning the Great Library of Alexandria, but the joy that brought wasn't worth the cost.

I would look for games that wasted a large amount of unique and talented people's time that could have been spent elsewhere. I'm making mountains out of molehills, but dismissing the idea that a game would have done better to not exist is a bit weak.

Definitely WOW. Not because I perticularly hate World of Warcraft (just didn't care for it), but because it has generated a plethora of cheap "Me Too!" games that have flopped, and otherwise good games that flopped because they competed directly with WOW. Like, imagine a world where the only FPS out there is Counter Strike and all other FPSes out there either directly copy it and get curb stomped by CS, or try to do something different and hide in a niche because they are scared of CS. Seriously, WOW needs to go already so we can get some new stuff!

(captcha: Without a doubt)

mezorin:
Definitely WOW. Not because I perticularly hate World of Warcraft (just didn't care for it), but because it has generated a plethora of cheap "Me Too!" games that have flopped, and otherwise good games that flopped because they competed directly with WOW.

And just think of all the people you would free from its influence!

No offense to those enjoy it. I just had a friend who got hooked on it a while back, and they were dark times.

Coakle:
I'm pretty skeptical that there would be no value in going back in time to prevent a company from spending money on certain games. Choosing to develop and sell certain games was a bad decision. Value would be gained from preventing that decision from occurring. I'm sure some people loved burning the Great Library of Alexandria, but the joy that brought wasn't worth the cost.

I would look for games that wasted a large amount of unique and talented people's time that could have been spent elsewhere. I'm making mountains out of molehills, but dismissing the idea that a game would have done better to not exist is a bit weak.

If they didn't exist, how do we know they're mistakes? They would happen at a later date, with a different game. Who are you to make the call that something isn't worth the cost? You don't have the objectivity to tell us what's worth it and what isn't, to tell us what is or isn't a bad decision. Not everyone thinks the way you do. Would you like having your favorite game erased because someone else thought it was a bad decision? Those made unhappy would erase the favorite games of people that brought such unhappiness upon them. In turn, others who enjoyed that game would erase another game, then those people would erase another. Inevitably, it would escalate to the entire industry being erased. As far as I can tell, erasing any game from history would be a distinctly bad idea.

Exius Xavarus:

Coakle:

If they didn't exist, how do we know they're mistakes? They would happen at a later date, with a different game. Who are you to make the call that something isn't worth the cost? You don't have the objectivity to tell us what's worth it and what isn't, to tell us what is or isn't a bad decision. Not everyone thinks the way you do. Would you like having your favorite game erased because someone else thought it was a bad decision? Those made unhappy would erase the favorite games of people that brought such unhappiness upon them. In turn, others who enjoyed that game would erase another game, then those people would erase another. Inevitably, it would escalate to the entire industry being erased. As far as I can tell, erasing any game from history would be a distinctly bad idea.

Dude... you're indirectly defending this:

Think about what you're saying before you say it.

OT: With the benefit of hindsight... I'd scrap Ride to Hell: Retribution 1%. It was not worth the 5 year wait.

Mangod:

I'm indirectly defending something as reprehensible as Rapelay. Know why? Someone, somewhere actually enjoys it. Someone finds it to be their favorite game. Just because we cannot fathom such a thing happening, doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened. What would happen if we erased their favorite game? They would erase another game. Then fans of that game would erase another. The cycle would repeat until the entire gaming industry has been erased from existence and it would all happen again. Erasing anything is a distinctly bad idea, no matter how bad or reprehensible you may personally find it.

I suppose out of all the games out there, there is one in particular that I would like to see erased...

Exius Xavarus:

Mangod:

I'm indirectly defending something as reprehensible as Rapelay. Know why? Someone, somewhere actually enjoys it. Someone finds it to be their favorite game. Just because we cannot fathom such a thing happening, doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened. What would happen if we erased their favorite game? They would erase another game. Then fans of that game would erase another. The cycle would repeat until the entire gaming industry has been erased from existence and it would all happen again. Erasing anything is a distinctly bad idea, no matter how bad or reprehensible you may personally find it.

yeah but big rigs is one of those so bad its good games XD it the room of the video games

Every time there is one of these threads, people flock to say some variation of "I wouldn't get rid of aaaanything because other people liiiiiike it!"

Yea, it's just a hypothetical question, so stop acting that way.

I'd delete Persona because it seems like something those people would like.

ccdohl:
Every time there is one of these threads, people flock to say some variation of "I wouldn't get rid of aaaanything because other people liiiiiike it!"

why persona theres like thousends of games that are just as well recived as persona

ccdohl:

That's our answer to this hypothetical question. Our answer isn't any less valid than yours, simply because it pisses in your cereal.

ccdohl:
yeah but big rigs is one of those so bad its good games XD it the room of the video games

Did you mean to quote me? I wasn't the one attacking Big Rigs. :x

none because even bad games can be entertaining even if its for the wrong reasons

Exius Xavarus:
None. No matter how much I might dislike any game, somebody, somewhere is enjoying it. To erase it would shatter their joy, ruin their fun, take away their happiness. Nobody has the right to take that away from anyone, nor the objectivity to erase anything from history.

This.

No matter what game you can think of, there is someone somewhere that absolutely loves it. I wouldn't wanna take that away when i can just happily ignore it.

Spore (2008)

If not for Spore, I probably would have bought EA games for at least another year or two.

And Will Wright would still be alive.

Exius Xavarus:

ccdohl:

That's our answer to this hypothetical question. Our answer isn't any less valid than yours, simply because it pisses in your cereal.

ccdohl:

Did you mean to quote me? I wasn't the one attacking Big Rigs. :x

i know but it is you have to admit its so broken its downright entertaining XD

What would be the point? For every shitty game deleted 2 more would just take it's place.

I would only delete it from my memory of having played it but keep the game around for those who actually liked it. That game would be FFXIII. Because it really hurt to see the nail driven into the coffin of my Final Fantasy fandom, to lose faith in that series felt like the end of an era, the loss of a friend maybe even family. I just severely dislike that game but again would not remove it from existence just because it hurt. I just want that memory gone, replaced with a warning every time I try to buy or play the game that "THIS IS A BAD IDEA", preferably in giant 40' tall flaming letters. That might cause havoc and destruction depending on where I'm at when I decide to try to buy that game or play it. Come to think of it that sounds interesting, and fun. More fun than playing that atrocious walking simulator with "Interactive Battles".

Exius Xavarus:

Obviously I disagree and think that it is less valid, and just derails the discussion. However, I guess you're right. Maybe they should add some stakes in to it like

"If you don't choose a game to delete, then your favorite game studio will be purchased by EA!"

Then you would have to choose.

I would delete Sonic '06. While it was nice to see Sega try to move Sonic into the next-gen of the time, it was just a mess. I don't think I've seen a single person do a Let's Play of it without going some degree of insane XD. I barely made it through half of the game before giving up on it since I was frustrated with the controls and the story.
Ride to Hell Retribution would've been my first choice, but I haven't played that one, personally.

canadamus_prime:
What would be the point? For every shitty game deleted 2 more would just take it's place.

HA! I dub this the Hydra Theory of Shitty Games

well, resident evil is out of the picture since deleting one game wont make the franchise good again.
deleting any call of duty game would have no effect.

i could delete okami or shaddow of the colossus for the lulz, but if they never existed, no one would become mad about it.

the worst games made me apreciate others and i learned a lot from them.

deleting world of warcraft mmo would just go the "Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act" route.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HitlersTimeTravelExemptionAct
by which i mean that something bigger and more evil would come to power.
like a sims mmo mixed with second life and the 4chan threads.

so i chosed to delete half life 3 and it kind of worked.
dont hate the player, hate the GM/OP.

also inb4: mass effect 3

Not sure, either Silent Hill: Origins or Shattered Memories.

Origins is a broken, nonsensical disgrace and Shattered Memories is a boring, non-sensical disgrace. Guess I'd have to flip a coin.

thesupremegamer:

ccdohl:

why persona theres like thousends of games that are just as well recived as persona

Well, on the assumption that everyone who said none likes it, I picked it. Though it would serve a dual purpose. I've always wanted to play it, but I've never gotten a chance. If it were deleted, I wouldn't have to try to track it down.

Eh forget the high road, You know what game needs to be deleted. "Day One : Garry's Incident" considering the Dev's of the game itself tried to delete people's content on the game no more fitting then having this junk deleted.

ccdohl:

Exius Xavarus:

Obviously I disagree and think that it is less valid, and just derails the discussion. However, I guess you're right. Maybe they should add some stakes in to it like

"If you don't choose a game to delete, then your favorite game studio will be purchased by EA!"

What if EA was their favorite publisher? Hah!

How does it derail discussion? Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. Just as you have the choice to erase something, you also have the choice not to erase something. Everyone has their own beliefs. Mine just happen to be that erasing any game from history is a bad choice.

Baron von Blitztank:
I suppose out of all the games out there, there is one in particular that I would like to see erased...

Ha! Funny thing is, only the bottom one is true. Most of the people I know(including myself) spend way more on their outdoor activities than I ever have on games, people go outside their comfortable 10 mile radius once a year for the family vacation, it's amazing just how dumb and predictable adults can be, everyone is the same special snowflake, and you get banned to a special "server" if you engage in PvP. The graphics are fucking mind blowing, though.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.

Nice thread topic

*reads your rules

Never mind. I would want Postal deleted forever but I haven't played it and it has a sequel so deleting it would do nothing. Why would deleting a game not delete its remake? Can we just make up the rules as we go, like "I only want this game deleted from this franchise" or "Game X but not its remake because the remake was good"?

Assuming I ignore your rules, I want Postal deleted because its always the go to example for "them vidya games is turrible!". What you do in the game is the most idiotic, juvenile, shit I've heard. It sounds like the type of thing that would only exist as a half-life mod made a deranged high school kid

Exius Xavarus:

ccdohl:

Exius Xavarus:

What if EA was their favorite publisher? Hah!

How does it derail discussion? Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. Just as you have the choice to erase something, you also have the choice not to erase something. Everyone has their own beliefs. Mine just happen to be that erasing any game from history is a bad choice.

Yea, that's my belief too. Like, if a posse were going to round up every copy of a game and burn it, I'd be opposed, no matter what the game was.

But that's not really what the question is getting at. The OP is trying to create discussion about what games people dislike, or wish would never have been made for whatever reason, and folks come in just to let your know that, in essence, they aren't going to participate in the discussion. They let everyone know that by participating in the discussion. It's like if someone asks you your favorite brand of bubble gum, and someone comes in saying that they hate bubble gum and, by the way, bubble gum ruins your teeth. Then you're like, gtfo dude.

At least, that's how I see it.

I would say delete Minecraft because of the countless hours I wasted on it, but it led me to make my own texture pack and generally get my first introduction to modding. Not sure if any of that is ever going to be useful to me, but we'll see.

Oh, I've got it. I'd delete Borderlands. The sequel was great, but the first one ended with 'tentacles and disappointment', leaving me feeling as though I'd just wasted something like 100 hours of my time. It probably would have been better with friends, but so would most aspects of my life.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked