Enough with 'Nintendo is doomed'

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

*sigh* Really, guys? I thought we were done with this.

Yes, Wii U sales have been very, very poor. Yes, this is because Nintendo did a crap job of marketing it. Yes, third party developers aren't exactly trampling each other to get on their consoles. Yes, Sony and Microsoft are now gobbling up massive sales numbers. And yes, Michael 'how did I get this job in the first place' Pachter says that Nintendo is now done for, with Sony now poised to take over the human race.

But Nintendo is not doomed.

Remember during the Gamecube days? Call me crazy, but I think we had this exact same debacle. In fact, we had this same argument a year or two after the Wii launched, when everyone said its sales would drop off and we'd never hear from Nintendo again. What's more, I bet we'll have this same argument again in a few years when they announce their new console. I had assumed that everyone recognized a pattern when they saw it, and that we'd never have this problem again.

Well, apparently, not everyone.

To everyone who is positive that Nintendo's current shortcomings are proof of a complete collapse, let me go through a few reasons why that is not the case.

Firstly is stock price. To investors, stock prices are the most important part of a company. Stock prices go up, people make money, more people invest, etc. And right now, Nintendo's stock is valued higher than Sony's. This is partly due to China's recent announcement about removing the ban on consoles, but partly due to Sony's incredible failures in every branch but their consoles (in fact, Sony recently had their credit rating downgraded to 'junk'). Now, a high stock price does not guarantee high sales, but you can't go bankrupt when your company is worth more than your main competitor.

Next, handhelds. Nintendo always has, and always will, dominate the handheld market. As long as their handheld sales are strong, they can piss away however much money they want and still be financially sound.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, companies don't just collapse due to a single bad console. Nintendo didn't collapse because of the Gamecube. Sony didn't collapse in the opening years of the PS3. Hell, Microsoft unloaded a whole clip into their balls during the Xbox One announcement, and they still sold well. So far, the only recent company that has withdrawn from the race altogether is Sega, which has spent the last twenty years proving they had no idea how to run a videogame company. And I wish we could learn from these constant misjudgments, but I suppose we'll just keep on supposing for years to come. Next generation, people will be crying the doom of Microsoft because their Xbox Two (watch, they'll totally name it that) hasn't lived up to its sales predictions, and they'll be as wrong then as you are now. So, until then, just remember these famous words from William Shakespeare: "If videogame companies went bankrupt from bad decisions, EA would just be a pair of vowels violating each other's personal space."

P.S. For those of you saying Nintendo 'deserves to die,' I challenge you: Find a friend who has Nintendo Land and play it with them. Then, tell me the company that made that game deserves to go bankrupt.

People will keep saying Nintendo is going to die until one day they die and Nintendo lives on. It's kind of like Boxing in that respect.

People have been saying "This is the death of WoW" for years now.

8 Million Subscribers and it's still alive.

The same thought process could be said for Nintendo

Oh look, another "I hate nintendoomed threads" thread. If this keeps up, someone's going to make a "I hated nintendoomed threads threads" thread. And then of course, WE NEED TO GO DEEPER.

I can see why people are discussing it, though. Let's face it. We're bored. All of us are just plain bored. No real big discussions have popped up recently that haven't already been done to death. The arguments over games journalism corruption, stupid politicians, games as art, and other such fare have just become the same shit over and over again.

I think these threads just popped up because, for god's sake, we need something new to talk about. Literally anything.

Nintendo Issue- bring a decent strategy game that does not involve stupid kiddy characters or some adult games, Just like MacDonalds its no longer the family entertainment system, just full of junkies and quick to satisfy consumers.

Conquers was the only decent game nintendo brought out on 64 that was fun for me ( I dont own nintendo ever) Goldeneye was supposed to be great as well.

@Racecarlock

we could talk about how to get players back into games like myth II and tournaments, but they end up just getting locked. Hypocrisy is rife on the internet as much as boredom.

Nintendo is dead like how World of Warcraft is dead...

Which is to say, not dead in the slightest.

If Nintendo bothers to market the Wii-U, maybe sales will pick up, I have never seen commercials for it on TV (plenty of 3DS ones) The name of the console was the biggest problem (my mother and my aunt thought it was an expensive peripheral for the Wii)

Whether they are doomed or not remains to be seen I mean ultimately it is but then so is almost everything.

I dont think they are in so bad a position as to be worried about collapse yet but with all these threads telling me they will be ok I am starting to be sceptical. Juts release some game already Nintendo ones I care about like Bayonetta 2 and X.

I dont think Nintendo is doomed at all, sure its not doing amazingly at the moment but its not about to crash and burn any time soon. However i do think 10-20 years from now we will look back on the Wii U and call it a failure.

Capcha- Vote Pancakes. You just get me dont you.

What I dont get is why everything Nintendo has to be either their end or their supreme control. Cant they just be there?

But hey, I guess it balances out, Nintendo fans are the first to make big scenes out of small good news and everybody else are the first to make big scenes out of small bad news. If I remember correctly didnt you even made a thread about gloating with video game related stuff where you were only gloating about the fact that Nintendo had a rise in their shares value?

Nintendo is far from 'dead' but there is no denying the WiiU is a total flop(stock price rarely relflect the actual value of a company but that's another matter). At the same time the 3DS is a big success. So it's just a waste the success of one product needs to compensate for the financial loss of another. Nintendo also needs to be less reliant on their antiquated IPs and come up with some new stuff, something that keeps people excited other than Nintendo afficionados. Brilliant as A Link Between Worlds is I would love to see a totally new game by Nintendo on 3DS.

As long as the 3DS is doing as well as it is Nintendo will be fine. I do however think they need to cut their losses with the WiiU. And come up with some new ideas for games that aren't Mario or Zelda. Maybe its time to attract some talent that won't work in the shadow of Miyamoto.

I see more people telling people to stop saying Nintendo is doomed than I do people saying Nintendo is doomed. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Matthew Jabour:
Next, handhelds. Nintendo always has, and always will, dominate the handheld market.

Seriously? "Always has", sure I guess, but "always will"? That's just blatant fanboism (well, the whole OP was that, but this part in particular was the worst). Yes, the 3DS is selling well, and yes past Nintendo handhelds have also sold very well. But you can't extrapolate that into the future - especially in a market as dynamic as technology. The future of dedicated handheld gaming devices isn't as clear at it was a decade ago. There's a been a lot of speculation about phones and tablets knocking handhelds out of the market, and while I don't think it has/will be as big of a whitewash as predicted (there's clearly still a market for what they're offering) I do think we'll eventually see that shift.

Anyway, no of course Nintendo won't die, yes they're still very financially solid despite reporting losses the last few years, and if/when Nintendo pulls their finger out and starts using that solid financial base to move the Wii U I think it will eventually be a decently selling system. They just need to, first and foremost, MARKET the damn thing! Secondly, and almost as importantly, they need to "encourage" third parties to develop for it. Forget about trying to court Western publishers like EA or Activision - the Wii U doesn't have the horsepower to match their focus, they're not interested and won't be until the system gets a wider install base (and then they'll still only put out garbage like they did on the Wii, so fuck them). They've got a ton of (mostly Eastern) affiliates publishing for the 3DS - that's where they need to throw their money. Nail down some exclusive JRPGs, shooters (vertical/horizontal shooters, not first person shooters) and dating sims to at least make it attractive in Japan, then bring those games to the West. It'll be a niche system but it'll at least be SOMETHING. At the moment it's a stagnant NOTHING. The Sega Saturn is fondly remembered for having great shooters that never made it to the West, the SNES was praised for its JRPGs, and while those niches might not have been the money makers for those systems in the West the Wii U is going nowhere if they try to appeal to Western audiences with sports and military shooters and everything else that drives Western sales. The Xbone and PS4 have that market cornered and Nintendo is wasting their time there. Focus on something niche, something the big boys aren't offering and you'll find a market - even if it's a smaller market.

I don't care either way, and think people should just let Nintendo be what it is and see what happens. No use naysaying yet.

That said, if it means Monster Hunter on a decent platform, it might not all be frowns and gloom.

enough with people policing what kind of threats we cant and cant create!

people need some sort of doomsday to rile agaisnt, they need a common enemy. 2012 came by and went, Xbox One didnt bancrupt microsoft, so now its time to get Nintendo some slack as they seem to be doing the worst of the three.

ShinyCharizard:
I see more people telling people to stop saying Nintendo is doomed than I do people saying Nintendo is doomed. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

I think it depends on the mood of the day. People hopped onto the Nintendo is doomed hype when the Wii U sported some obviously bad sales. Then Jimquisition said Nintendo is awesome and people agreed they are awesome. Then people went back to saying it was doomed, then they realized it was cooler to defend them and different. The thing is the internet population is big, we don't remember who said what, a lot of people change their mind, swayed by news, swayed by opinions, people they know and some of us just pay attention when we disagree.

So I don't know what the "official" verdict of Nintendo is right now, but I think Nintendo is doomed is the one right now.

Honestly I don't know what will happen. Nintendo has had some solid years in their back now and they won't be doomed no matter what happens with the Wii U, but they certainly aren't doing fine or even OK in that regard. They are doing great on the 3DS which isn't enough to balance out the Wii U's abyssal sales right now, but this might change.

As someone else have already stated, why do we need to divide the world into "winning" or "doomed"?

Another great point is that this has already been discussed enough. We aren't bringing any new arguments to the table. The Wii U still doesn't have any games and Nintendo still isn't making third party games. Let go already.

Nintendo... even if they let go of their home console they'd still be rocking the portable console market and could potentially sign with one of the other providers and still make tons of money off their current IP's.

Take Sega for example, technically Sega died but they are essentially still alive, they still make lots of great games and are able to turn profits without the downside of risky console production.

Either of the two remaining companies would kill for the chance to have Nintendo side with them.

As for WoW, yeah it's still going and has lots of subscribers... but it's not doing as well as it was back in the hay day. I still play it for a few months after a patch comes out but the staggered release of content after a patch just feels like so much filler until that last patch each time. So much so that the guild I frequently rejoin when I do play usually runs the previous raid after that new patch so you can gear up in heroic pugs 5 levels higher then go back and experience the battle yourself.

But the world just feels emptier. Stormwind, Orgrimmar both just feel so empty compared to when WotLK was around,
part of it is the matchmaking system and not having to be in a guild to do standard raids anymore. No one needs to lurk around main cities spamming chat to organize a raid.

That's what I feel was taken away. No one remembers you anymore and in raids you just match into the crowd.

I never did get the hang of my main, a Warlock... In my server I was known as a high end DPS/Healer Shaman and a useless Warlock. I never gave up trying though.

[quote="josemlopes" post="9.840588.20660103"]What I dont get is why everything Nintendo has to be either their end or their supreme control. Cant they just be there?

quote]as far as i can tell, the millenial generation and modern media can only deal in extremes

josemlopes:
What I dont get is why everything Nintendo has to be either their end or their supreme control. Cant they just be there?

But hey, I guess it balances out, Nintendo fans are the first to make big scenes out of small good news and everybody else are the first to make big scenes out of small bad news. If I remember correctly didnt you even made a thread about gloating with video game related stuff where you were only gloating about the fact that Nintendo had a rise in their shares value?

Yep, that was me. And when did I last say that Nintendo was going to have supreme control? As of right now, that's pretty obviously not going to happen.

ShinyCharizard:

I was thinking the same thing. And I seem to see these threads every week. It seems that bad news about Nintendo's finances is "hating on Nintendo". Apparently stating that Nintendo made numerous mistakes with the Wii U equates hating on the company. Who knew?

Racecarlock:
Oh look, another "I hate nintendoomed threads" thread. If this keeps up, someone's going to make a "I hated nintendoomed threads threads" thread. And then of course, WE NEED TO GO DEEPER.

Funny enough I've considered making such a thread. I'm tired of these threads.

I think that everything all those uninformed people say is a load of bull. Especially the people that said that tablets and laptops would kill the PC.(hasn't happened) That Consoles would kill the PC.(hasn't happened) That casual games would kill hardcore games.(hasn't happened) That Nintendo would die.(hasn't happened) That no-one wants spacesims, point and click adventures, and true RPG's (Kickstarter tells us otherwise)...
So I don't really bother with those empty slogans.

Nintendos had prophecies of doom ever since it became a gaming company. First it was too old fashioned, then too gimmicky, then too childish. It's the same way every single time there is a financial or political problem people rush to declare that the United States is about to fall apart. Nintendo will do what it always has...

"Endure. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of Nintendo, they can be the outcast. They can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice."

Matthew Jabour:

josemlopes:

Yep, that was me. And when did I last say that Nintendo was going to have supreme control? As of right now, that's pretty obviously not going to happen.

Im not saying that you said that, but overall Nintendo threads usually mean taking small things and blowing them out of proportion.

I've been waiting for this to happen. A lot more people saying "Stop saying Nintendo is doomed" than people actually saying Nintendo is doomed. And nobody is saying Nintendo deserves to die either. But even if they were Nintendo Land would definitely not be the game I would choose to try and sway someone otherwise.

And finally, people that take Michael Pachter even somewhat seriously should probably be sectioned. =P

Andy Shandy:
I've been waiting for this to happen. A lot more people saying "Stop saying Nintendo is doomed" than people actually saying Nintendo is doomed.

Because Nintendo fanatics need to defend Nintendo more than anyone else really needs to condemn them.

We're looking at the next SEGA

kingthrall:
Nintendo Issue- bring a decent strategy game that does not involve stupid kiddy characters or some adult games, Just like MacDonalds its no longer the family entertainment system, just full of junkies and quick to satisfy consumers.

Conquers was the only decent game nintendo brought out on 64 that was fun for me ( I dont own nintendo ever) Goldeneye was supposed to be great as well.

I hate to be abrasive, but you can't really claim to know what Nintendo are/aren't doing when you 'don't own nintendo ever'.

... and Nintendo already has several excellent strategy series'. Surely you've heard of Fire Emblem, yes?
How about Advance Wars? Hell, the most recent Advance Wars game was a grim post-apocalyptic reboot about war and greed.

Zachary Amaranth:

Andy Shandy:
I've been waiting for this to happen. A lot more people saying "Stop saying Nintendo is doomed" than people actually saying Nintendo is doomed.

Because Nintendo fanatics need to defend Nintendo more than anyone else really needs to condemn them.

No no no, don't you remember, anything that's not overwhelming praise and frothing fanaticism for a company means you hate their guts. Being apathetic about the company, despite there being many legitimate criticisms, means that you want them to fail. Finally, and use of facts to support said apathy means you hate other people's childhoods because obviously everyone grew up with Nintendo and never grew up in gaming with PC, Sony, Sega, or Microsoft. That'd be silly. :P

Because this type of thing never happened before. Oh, no. Nintendo has never made a game system that sold poorly ever in their lives. *sarcasm*

This type of thing never happens! They never have wonky peripherals that they sell and then lose money over.

OT: I just think they should cut their losses and release the gamecube 2... With Super Mario Sunshine 2, Wind Waker 2, continue the Pokemon Colosseum games, a good sequel to Luigi's Mansion that doesn't use a 3DS, and I hear that Twilight Princess is already getting a sequel. Though that's just rumors.

Or they can just release those games XD

I'd buy a Wii U for Super Mario Sunshine 2.

Matthew Jabour:

P.S. For those of you saying Nintendo 'deserves to die,' I challenge you: Find a friend who has Nintendo Land and play it with them. Then, tell me the company that made that game deserves to go bankrupt.

Really? Nintendo Land? A bland mixture of mini games parading around the usual suspects? That's the title you're gonna use to win the sympathy of the masses of the internet?

Good luck with that.

Anyway, I don't think Nintendo is doomed nor do I think Nintendo deserves to go bankrupt. Allow me to explain:

1) As long as they have their franchises, there will still be enough money coming in from fanboys and manchildren to keep the motor running. If all else fails, they can always release a Pokémon MMO. Even if the console was made of fossilized horseshit, Nintendo would still outsell Sony and Microsoft combined if it had a Pokémon MMO.

2) I've got some grievances with Nintendo and their fans, but that doesn't mean I want to see them crash and burn. The more competition, the better!

Andy Shandy:
I've been waiting for this to happen. A lot more people saying "Stop saying Nintendo is doomed" than people actually saying Nintendo is doomed. And nobody is saying Nintendo deserves to die either. But even if they were Nintendo Land would definitely not be the game I would choose to try and sway someone otherwise.

And finally, people that take Michael Pachter even somewhat seriously should probably be sectioned. =P

Is it just me, or did Escapists NDF used to be better? I mean like, I could have sworn they used to be able to present reasoned, serious arguments and did so only when the situation called for it. These days it seems like the mere act of reporting news is considered an affront to the NDF should the news be negative in any light.

Maybe I'm just being internet old, and everything in the past wasn't really better.

Oh, also:

Matthew Jabour:

Firstly is stock price. To investors, stock prices are the most important part of a company. Stock prices go up, people make money, more people invest, etc. And right now, Nintendo's stock is valued higher than Sony's. This is partly due to China's recent announcement about removing the ban on consoles, but partly due to Sony's incredible failures in every branch but their consoles (in fact, Sony recently had their credit rating downgraded to 'junk'). Now, a high stock price does not guarantee high sales, but you can't go bankrupt when your company is worth more than your main competitor.

Oh snap! Nintendo's stock is worth more than Sony's? I guess that means the fact that they lost me money doesn't count somehow. Also, it apparently means they can't go bankrupt despite being two vastly different companies in terms of size and diversification, although no that isn't how that really works at all.

EbonBehelit:
... and Nintendo already has several excellent strategy series'. Surely you've heard of Fire Emblem, yes?
How about Advance Wars? Hell, the most recent Advance Wars game was a grim post-apocalyptic reboot about war and greed.

They're both by Intelligent Systems.

I'm slowly playing through the backlog of FE titles, and it's becoming evident that IntSys made one game that they've repeated verbatim about a half dozen times since they started porting it to the states.

(I really have a mouthful to say about Fire Emblem mechanically, and in its defense, the only real problems I have with the game stem from its mechanics. The rest of the production tends to be very good all round.)

Advance Wars however, was pretty awesome for the most part. Especially AW2 and Days of Ruin.
It isn't anywhere near perfect, but they've made small improvements to the game with iteration, and not just small changes.

So...yeah. I'm also kinda in the camp that would like some better tactics/strategy games on Nintendo's systems.
Especially on the 3DS.

You are preaching to the choir with me. They aren't going anywhere for a looooong time. I believe the only one in danger of leaving the console market is Microsoft, and I doubt that will even happen for a long time too.

To be fair though, the Escapist forums aren't full of people saying Nintendo is doomed, sometimes you may see someone suggest they go third party, or that they suck, but that's the exception. It seems like on this forum, you either really love Nintendo, or you just don't care about it.

NoeL:

Matthew Jabour:
Next, handhelds. Nintendo always has, and always will, dominate the handheld market.

Seriously? "Always has", sure I guess, but "always will"? That's just blatant fanboism (well, the whole OP was that, but this part in particular was the worst). Yes, the 3DS is selling well, and yes past Nintendo handhelds have also sold very well. But you can't extrapolate that into the future - especially in a market as dynamic as technology. The future of dedicated handheld gaming devices isn't as clear at it was a decade ago. There's a been a lot of speculation about phones and tablets knocking handhelds out of the market, and while I don't think it has/will be as big of a whitewash as predicted (there's clearly still a market for what they're offering) I do think we'll eventually see that shift.

Anyway, no of course Nintendo won't die, yes they're still very financially solid despite reporting losses the last few years, and if/when Nintendo pulls their finger out and starts using that solid financial base to move the Wii U I think it will eventually be a decently selling system. They just need to, first and foremost, MARKET the damn thing! Secondly, and almost as importantly, they need to "encourage" third parties to develop for it. Forget about trying to court Western publishers like EA or Activision - the Wii U doesn't have the horsepower to match their focus, they're not interested and won't be until the system gets a wider install base (and then they'll still only put out garbage like they did on the Wii, so fuck them). They've got a ton of (mostly Eastern) affiliates publishing for the 3DS - that's where they need to throw their money. Nail down some exclusive JRPGs, shooters (vertical/horizontal shooters, not first person shooters) and dating sims to at least make it attractive in Japan, then bring those games to the West. It'll be a niche system but it'll at least be SOMETHING. At the moment it's a stagnant NOTHING. The Sega Saturn is fondly remembered for having great shooters that never made it to the West, the SNES was praised for its JRPGs, and while those niches might not have been the money makers for those systems in the West the Wii U is going nowhere if they try to appeal to Western audiences with sports and military shooters and everything else that drives Western sales. The Xbone and PS4 have that market cornered and Nintendo is wasting their time there. Focus on something niche, something the big boys aren't offering and you'll find a market - even if it's a smaller market.

Yes, Nintendo Handheld's always will dominate. Until the day IPhone games reach the level of complexity, innovation, design perfection, and free choice as say a game from 1998-9 released for the GBC, namely Wario Land 2, then they will forever be little more than gimmicks and ripoffs of far better titles. I recently beat Soul of Darkness, a game ported from the IPhone market onto the 3DS. Wonder what it was? A shallow Metrovania ripoff by a hack Western studio. Innovation and creativity are stifled in the stagnant IPhone market, any good games they have were for better systems and better consoles see Megaman 2. One, you're wrong that any developer will actively select IPhones and Tablets to make full-scale games for any reason, our Lovely God Given Jim was wrong on that front, and in doing so you selectively alienate companies who would very much like to make a good game for a deserving console. Didn't we vilify Capcom for flipping the bird to its fans and going for the notoriously vapid and turbulent IPhone market? And two, there will never be an IPhone that has better games than the PSP, you can't make good platformers or control them with the touch screen, shooters won't get the graphical firepower necessary from a tablet, RPG's...PFHAHAHAHAHAHA! Action Adventure, well that's a bland genre to begin with so maybe there could be a few decent ripoffs of Metroid levels released in installments that all cost 5$ to play. Point is, Handheld's will dominate IPhones as gaming platform's, because good games that aren't ripoffs of better ones will never flourish in that hateful warzone people falsely consider a games market.

Neronium:

Zachary Amaranth:

Andy Shandy:

No no no, don't you remember, anything that's not overwhelming praise and frothing fanaticism for a company means you hate their guts. Being apathetic about the company, despite there being many legitimate criticisms, means that you want them to fail. Finally, and use of facts to support said apathy means you hate other people's childhoods because obviously everyone grew up with Nintendo and never grew up in gaming with PC, Sony, Sega, or Microsoft. That'd be silly. :P

"In this, the year of Luigi, we pray to our God Mario, his son, Baby Mario, and the holy ghost, King Boo, that Nintendo may continue on through these darker times. So dark, it has created dark worlds such as Lorule for us to Link between. But with every dark world, there is light. So I ask that you keep faith, both in our games and in our representatives here on Earth, Pope Iwata, and his Cardinals Shigeru Miyamoto, "My Body Is" Reggie Films-Aime and Satoru Shibata. And of course, please understand"

Okay, that kind of got away from me there, I'll admit. XD

EvilRoy:

Andy Shandy:

Is it just me, or did Escapists NDF used to be better? I mean like, I could have sworn they used to be able to present reasoned, serious arguments and did so only when the situation called for it. These days it seems like the mere act of reporting news is considered an affront to the NDF should the news be negative in any light.

Maybe I'm just being internet old, and everything in the past wasn't really better.

It used to be better before jeffers was banned. He tended to bring some truth and reasoned arguments whenever he was talking about stuff, which was why I enjoyed talking to him on here, outside of Nintendo topics, where he became a bit less reasoned, and more angry.

Atmos Duality:

EbonBehelit:

They're both by Intelligent Systems.

-snip-

Advance Wars however, was pretty awesome for the most part. Especially AW2 and Days of Ruin.
It isn't anywhere near perfect, but they've made small improvements to the game with iteration, and not just small changes.

I know they're both made by Intelligent Systems. I was just kinda making a point about there being at least one good strategy game on a Nintendo console. Though I do agree that there's not enough compared to the other platforms. The Wii U's tablet controller would be pretty damn nifty for the strategy genre, if only sales would actually pick up.

My favourite Advance Wars game is actually Dual Strike, despite how utterly borked the mechanics were. The music in Days of Ruin is awesome though, and really drives home the fact that it's done by the same people who worked on the music of the newer Fire Emblem games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked