Game prices (across the world) and Steam

This is probably a question to the non-USarians (I' still interested how it actually looks locally) here but, It's been something that's been bugging me for some time and it seems another topic about how magnificent Valve is appeared, so I decided to ask about it at last.

Is Steam really that cheap, aren't the prices too high ??

I know it depends where you live and Australians are probably going to hate me, but some games especially indie and older ones are horribly overpriced when compared to my local retailers.

The major well advertised releases are usually comparable, anything else really isn't. It usually affects more under the radar and older games. I have had situations where in a choice between steam at 75% discount and a full price for a new physical copy, steam lost. I don't even consider buying anything unless it's at least 50% off.

Also steam takes ages to lower the base prices. They sell Morrowind for 20€. At 25€, I'm looking at the cheaper end of new releases.

And that brings me to my third point indie games. At 10-15€ I can buy a good game from a year or two that was released too close to another one or something, major one if you are willing wait a bit more, not a platformer of possibly questionable quality.

I know that is probably why they have such big sales so often, but off-season steam shop is practically useless. And I don't take into account that local shops have sales too.

So that is my question, how do the local prices compare to Steam in more places across the world ?

P.S. Before everyone starts hating me how good I have it and that games are luxury goods I would like to clarify that just because the exchange rates make it unfavourable to shop abroad it doesn't necessarily mean I have more purchasing power.

Steam is only cheap when the sales are are on. Other than that, nah. I can get retail at around the same price. Or I can get a better price on new releases on sites like Greenmangaming, which often have Steam keys attached to them anyway.
Oh and I'm Canadian by the way. Honestly, the downloading portion is what bugs me most about Steam and PC gaming. I have mediocre internet.

I only ever buy Steam stuff on the sales because otherwise you don't save a lot. I'll typically wait for something to be <10 before buying it, which generally means more than 50% off.

That said, even with that restriction my Steam Library far outnumbers all my other games combined. It's generally swelled by things like the Tomb Raider Collection, or Hitman Collection, which you can save a lot on, especially given that buying the originals is difficult/expensive.

Videogames are expensive no matter who sells them in Argentina. Steam is no different. Which is why we have such a thriving black market for them.

Steam tends to run 10-20% cheaper than nearby retail for me (Canadian), and dramatically cheaper during sales. Usually I've built such a backlog during sales that there's little need for me to buy anything off-sale, unless I'm sorely tempted and/or it was something I wanted at release.

In Australia, Steam is pretty expensive. I can get games at retail for about 10-20% less than what it costs on steam.

I'm living in Switzerland and games in retail are horrendously expensive, not to mention the lack of variety any retail shop offers, be it GameStop or MediaMarkt. Depending on the release Steam can be 10-40% cheaper. The thing, though, is that Steam doesn't "offer" Switzerland-specific pricing (thank god), which is why all prices are in Euro instead of Swiss Francs - Steam might just have us pay German prices, I don't really know.

Sweden representing and it's all in euro for me(not our currency). It's quite expensive, but not as bad as the game prices in retail. I tend to buy my game codes from Amazon though, where I sneakingly can buy them with dollars. Have also bought all my console games from the UK for the past four years because their prices is almost half of ours.

As an example:
Bioshock Infinite(only recent PC game I could think of) is 30 euros($40) on Steam, $26 on Amazon and 279SEK($43) here.
So yeah, only worth it on sales really.

I think Playstation Network is worse. Games that go for $10-$20 in USA is like $50-$70 here. Have only checked it out a few times and the prices has always been horrible.

Mexico here. ANd it is cheaper, almost all year round. Here video gmae prices are inflated by quite a bit, so it is 50-60% cheaper to buy it digitally in Steam, even when there are no sales. Retailers almpost never reduce prices (I've seen last gen games at full retail price) so it is worth buying Steam. Steam is the standard 60$ while retail can be up to 100$ or more easily for AAA games, and while not PC games to be found (excepto WOW and Diablo) in retail. At least untill the install the Mexican currecnty and hike up the rpices, as they are bound to do, I keep my Steam account in full health.

Steam has some good deals on in sales but just because its on sale on steam dosent mean its always the cheapest in fact sometimes its downright expensive even on sale.

Like everywhere it pays to shop about buy all your games on Steam and you wont get the best deal, digitally I always check GOG for older games as more often than not I get better deals there than at Steam and I dont have to deal with any of the crap I get with Steam.

With no sale Steam is expensive and if you can find it anywhere else you will almost certainly get it cheaper there.

From the UK btw.

Steam is generally slightly more expensive than online stores over here. I think it's worth it because I find it a lot more practical to have digital games than a bunch of discs. This is helped along by the few disc errors I've had on entirely new games.

Steam is usually more expensive than retailers in Germany, sometimes even during the sales.

Hitman Absolution for example costs 24,99€ on Steam, physical version costs 9,99€ on Amazon and the digital version 6,99€ on MMOGA.

Rtoip:
This is probably a question to the non-USarians (I' still interested how it actually looks locally) here but, It's been something that's been bugging me for some time and it seems another topic about how magnificent Valve is appeared, so I decided to ask about it at last.

Is Steam really that cheap, aren't the prices too high ??

I know it depends where you live and Australians are probably going to hate me, but some games especially indie and older ones are horribly overpriced when compared to my local retailers.

The major well advertised releases are usually comparable, anything else really isn't. It usually affects more under the radar and older games. I have had situations where in a choice between steam at 75% discount and a full price for a new physical copy, steam lost. I don't even consider buying anything unless it's at least 50% off.

Also steam takes ages to lower the base prices. They sell Morrowind for 20€. At 25€, I'm looking at the cheaper end of new releases.

And that brings me to my third point indie games. At 10-15€ I can buy a good game from a year or two that was released too close to another one or something, major one if you are willing wait a bit more, not a platformer of possibly questionable quality.

I know that is probably why they have such big sales so often, but off-season steam shop is practically useless. And I don't take into account that local shops have sales too.

So that is my question, how do the local prices compare to Steam in more places across the world ?

P.S. Before everyone starts hating me how good I have it and that games are luxury goods I would like to clarify that just because the exchange rates make it unfavourable to shop abroad it doesn't necessarily mean I have more purchasing power.

Congratulations on discovering several of the great Steam fallacies. Honestly it only gets worse from there the deeper you dig.

Also the disparity of equivalent international pricing was one of the reasons GOG came to be.

In Israel, regular game prices are okay for games on pc (50$ for a game), but batshit insane on consoles (100$ for a new game), so today I order everything from england.

I don't really tend to buy new stuff on steam (not really a pc gamer), either I buy indie or anything on special sale but it is a comfortable service.

I remember when Steam first started up, you'd be able to get games in the UK for their equivalent value in the US... now we've got stuff coming out at 40 (which, for those so inclined to do the maths, is about 60 cans of beer) ...so ...yeah...

To quote someone smarter than me (Ross Scott): "I feel like Malcom McDowell from the movie "Star Trek: Generations"; a man who had a taste of a better existence only to be ripped out of it, leaving him obsessed on getting it back. In the movie he blows up some planets in the process, I'm not at that phase yet."

I haven't bought a boxed game in a long while, truth be told but I have the ability to buy from Steam in either UK pounds or US dollars so I often save some by buying in USD. If a game is cheap, I don't normally question it, if it's more expensive I might check steamprices.com first to see which is cheaper. Sometimes things might be $9.99 and 9.99 respectively, so it makes sense to pay in dollars and save myself 3 (or 33% of the price).

In terms of new games, there's very few I have or will buy now at full price, for whatever reason. I want Thief 4, but after Hitman: Absolution (and every news snippet about the game making me sadder, not more excited) I'm not prepared to pre-order a Squeenix game. For other things, I've been ruined by DLC. I pretty much outright will not buy a game on release now, then pick up bits and pieces over time for double the cost. Saints Row 3 is an example of this, now available in a "complete" pack. I just wait now till the game has a "complete" version and buy that when it's reasonably priced.

I believe new prices on Steam are intentionally inflated to give brick-and-mortar shops a chance. Considering the reduced cost for digital delivery, the only reason the price is the same (or higher in some cases) is to artificially keep retail alive.

At Spain, the price is pretty much the same. It depends on the game. I make lists of the interesting games I find at a GAME shop, check their prices on steam, and buy the one that is cheaper, which usually will be steam but by a relatively small margin (maybe between a 5 and a 10%). It's not hard to find specific games that happen to be cheaper physicially.

On the other hand, nothing beats steam sales, and that's pretty much the only time I buy games, except for humblebundle.

Thanks everyone. It seems that Polish publishers actually care about having low prices and make better deals. They are also usually quick to re-release games in some gaming classics edition or something similar at lower prices. Piracy is high here so I guess they figured out it's better to sell cheaper than not at all.

I suspect Steam has the same prices in euro for most of Euorpe. Having prices in euro on Steam is really bad for me though, because the exchange rate is terrible.

All I say only applies only to PC games, console games cost the same or more and that leads to some weird situations when a console version can cost twice as much as the PC one.

Steam only goes cheaper with sales and it's all same for the normal prices.
With indies I noticed an up tick with overpricing probably to compensate for Steam taking 30% and then wanting you to be in sales, which quickly adds up to 50% or more out of the devs pocket.

Also in the last two years during Steam sale events other sites will actually have better deals so it's worth browsing.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked