The worst things that happened to gaming.

So this thread will be talking about things that have hampered the gaming industry.Be sure to list any you can think of.I'll start with some of the biggest ones IMO:

Graphics over gameplay:Hey remember the old days of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era where there were tons of games that had very fun gameplay?Sure the graphics were crummy but atleast the games themselves were fun...fast forward to today and the gaming industry(the AAA industry to be exact) has stagnated beyond belief.Every single game is either a rehash,sequel,or a game in name only.

Some people need to get it through their thick heads that graphics don't matter.I personally don't care if your game has photo realistic dirt if it plays like shit.I can still play games that came out years ago and still have fun whereas I only buy AAA games today if they are actually good.

Overbloated marketing budgets:So I've seen charts of just how much money is spent marketing and the results made my jaw drop.Millions of dollars put into marketing alone when that kind of money could be used for actual development.I mean has the AAA game industry not figured out why they are bleeding money?That kind of spending is wasteful and has lead to some great games being ruined or made worse off because of it,personally if the costs keep going up then I can easily see a recession type scenario for the gaming industry where game devs/publishers keep spending more than they are making back.

Preordering:I get it,pre ordering is a convenient way of getting a game before the actual release date.However I can't see the logic in paying for something when you have no idea what you're going to get.I've seen people pre order games based off a title screen..no gameplay footage,no fancy trailers,just a title screen.Now gam devs are taking advantage of that by adopting a "give us your money even though we have'nt showed anything about our game yet' mentality and it baffles as to why people keeping putting money for up something that amounts to a unfilled box.

Don't even get me started on the fact game devs/pubs are cutting content out of games years before they are even in development.No,you can't say the content was made after the game was finished when people have proof that's complete bullshit.The fact some people defend getting half games or portions of it does'nt make it any better.

The console wars:Oh boy... the amount of rage I have built up over the years because of the stupidity of fighting over a goddamn machine!!(Calm down eagle...calm down...)This right here has done actual harm to both the gaming community and the industry as a whole.

You have game devs being paid to keep games off of other systems and you have the dumb fanboys throwing temper tantrums because one game became multiplat or vice versa.

This idiocy is hampering gaming more than it's helping and that's not even mentioning the double standards regarding console exclusives.What's that....?You think console exclusives are okay as long as it's YOUR console that gets them?

I have a better idea:get rid of all exclusives since some people are spitefully wishing for game companies to go out of business(looking at you Nintendo haters/Sony fanboys/haters/Microsoft fanboys/haters.)

I mean who cares if a game gets ruined because their design isn't compatible with the type of games X/Y console handles right?

Activision: Oversaturating the market with Guitar Hero games, which helped kill the genre quicker than should have been. Harmonix did it right by focusing more on dlc songs and making everything compatible with the next in the series ( except Beatles).

Nintendo and their overvaluing their old library, lack of consumer friendly dlc practices ( which should be remedied soon)...

the hidden eagle:
I can still play games that came out years ago and still have fun whereas I only buy AAA games today if they are actually good.

Well that seems rather obvious. Why would anyone buy games that aren't (in their opinion) good, or have the prospect of being good?

OT: The death of survival horror. I thought Outlast might spark something, but that was just cheap jump scares mingled with a shitty stealth mechanic. These first-person spook house games really aren't doing it for me. I want the good old character driven horror.

Casual Shinji:

the hidden eagle:
I can still play games that came out years ago and still have fun whereas I only buy AAA games today if they are actually good.

Well that seems rather obvious. Why would anyone buy games that aren't (in their opinion) good, or have the prospect of being good?

OT: The death of survival horror. I thought Outlast might spark something, but that was just cheap jump scares mingled with a shitty stealth mechanic. These first-person spook house games really aren't doing it for me. I want the good old character driven horror.

Hopefully The Evil Within will be good...

The internet.

Gone are the days of on couch co-op. Gone are the days of going to the arcade and meeting people. Gone are the days where you got a full game with costumes and cheats and extras.

Now we have dlc, online passes, disc locked content, online multiplayer ( without on couch co-op).

That doesn't mean good things didn't come from it like patches and stuff but i think we lost more than we gained.

The whole graphics and console war thing has been going on ever since the SNES/Genesis days. Hardly anything new.

I can somewhat agree about pre-ordering, as I like to wait until reviews for a game I'm interested in come out before I buy one now. I don't think it's one of the worst things to happen to gaming though.

Hm...I think the cost for developing AAA games is way out of hand. Way, way, waaaaaay out of hand, and it's choking the industry. But that's been said countless times, so moving on.

I think developers are doing more harm to the industry right now than anything else. Or at least the big ones are. Throwing copyright claims at everyone who posts videos about your game--from a bad review by Total Biscuit to just talking about a game in Nintendo's case--is not fostering love and loyalty among gamers. This really needs to stop.

This is EASY.

EA
Microtransactions
and essentially the embracing of creating games by corporate committee to try and make games engineered to make money rather than games created by creators who have an actual vision.

EA being the biggest company in gaming meant people wanted to copy them. Their embracing of microtransactions and committee games essentially made other people copy them.

I think it has been very well established that this, this, or this is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming.

As for things that have hampered the industry in more overarching ways, there's:

1. Archaic obsession with graphics. This may have helped us develop new styles of play 10-15 years ago, but now, all it really does is hinder us from investing more in meaningful technological improvements and better game design. Unfortunately, it has been so ingrained in us ever since the Nintendo vs. Sega days, that it seems like we'll have a lot of trouble completely shaking it off.

2. Obsession with making a singleplayer and multiplayer game. Way too many games shoehorn one or the other into their game, and it ultimately funnels money away from the core mode, and both tend to suffer for it. The shooter genre has been hit particularly hard with this, and part of me is glad games like BioShock Infinite and Titanfall seem to want to break away from this. We'll see if it works.

Other than that, I can't really think of too much.

PS2 is "the old days"? lol

Since when? Ps2 sold on a platform of awesome graphics too, gameplay was just as important then, even worse in some genres. Also, ps2 graphics were amazing for it's time. If you call em crummy you might have no perspective or you started gaming in the last 6 years. As someone who got into gaming in 92, trust me, ps2 graphics were anything but crummy.

As for the worst thing that happened to gaming, that would have to be the popularization of it to people who even as little as 8 years ago would classify themselves as non-gamers and would have nothing to do with the culture but now somehow get power to affect it despite their prior decrying of it. If all you ever buy each year is call of duty and madden you should not hold power to sway the creation of gaming culture stuff since all you ever will buy is call of duty and madden and the rest of us have to suffer through shitty games made to target you in place of epic awesome games that could have existed but don't. It happens for no reason to since you don't buy these games either, since they're not call of duty or madden.

The infamous decision to cancel multiple potential Mega Man games from Capcom because they felt no one cared enough. Then the double infamous release of a game called Street Fighter X Mega Man that seemed like a bunch of novices were the ones who slapped it together.

Otherwise, the concept of DLC and "Buy2Continue" games that flood the Internet. It's beyond stupid, but to be fair, some people find it amusing to spend money on something unbelievably trivial.

If you want to go really back in the day, research a man named Ted Woolsey.

My complaints about gaming revolve around software rather than marketing, hardware, or budgets. While I certainly understand what the OP is saying, I look at the games themselves, which (in theory) are what sell the consoles.

One of the worst things that happened to gaming was Metal Gear Solid on PS1. I played that game all the way to the last boss, became severely annoyed, and never went back to it or the sequels. Why? Because the focus of the game was the character of Solid Snake, who I had a complete lack of ability to identify with. Sure, that's my opinion, but what's not my opinion is that they took a solid game and changed the focus. I see Assasin's Creed and MGS as the same game for the most part.

Skyrim is the second worst thing that happened to gaming for me. How can you have an amazingly huge game with an interesting world that's a royal pain in the arse to negotiate in? Sure you can play the PC version and modify the heck out of it, but for all the hype that Skyrim has received, I was severely disappointed with the actual gameplay.

To go way back, I'd also have to say that Mike Tyson being thrown in jail was one of the worst things that happened to gaming. Who remembers the NES version of Punch-Out without Mike Tyson? That was ridiculous. Mike Tyson's Punch Out is hands down required gaming for anyone interested in re-visiting the NES. If Tyson somehow avoided prison, we might have seen some kind of precedent for World Champion personalities in games. It would have been amazing to see Tyson in an arcade game. We have the UFC games, but fighting Tyson on the NES was a legendary thing.

I'd say micro transactions. Remember when games had cheat codes? Nowadays you don't see that, why put in something like that in when you can make people pay for the convenience of god mode? Now to be far I don't think it's all bad, alot of dlc is good value and not so different from expansion packs but I don't think we've seen the worst of it either. If your wondering just how deep the rabbit hole goes just take a look at the mobile market.

I'd say the mass push of gaming into non-gaming circles, that came into its own with the Wii, Kinect and the mobile movement. A focus on the non-gaming crowd lead us down a dark path, where micro-transactions come first and games come second, where virtually every major franchise has become "Call of Duty mixed with [Game]", and where the gamer themselves ultimately do not matter at all. I feel this came to a head with the Xbone - an over-priced, under-powered "not a games" game console that spent the first few weeks of its existence pushing "TV TV TV TV SPORTS". Most "gaming" is now actually targeted at people who don't actually play video games - save for the Playstation 4, and the PC Gaming scene of course.

Ieyke:
This is EASY.

EA...

Damn hard to fault this logic, too.

scorptatious:
The whole graphics and console war thing has been going on ever since the SNES/Genesis days. Hardly anything new.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. It's rather silly to call out things like the console war and graphics over gameplay things as anything recent. Those arguments have been going on for ages now. Even back to the days of the Ataris and Intellivision, one of the biggest selling points for games was how great the graphics were (and, at that time, how faithful the games were to their arcade counterparts). Little mention was ever made of gameplay, but a lot of time was spent on how great the graphics were and how much better they were than their competitors.

The massive push towards pre-orders is something that is definitely more recent and this is only going to get bigger now that the early access model is gaining prominence. At least in the case of a pre-order, you usually have previews and media coverage to help guide you. With early access, there may be little or no reliable coverage available at all and yet you're buying into a game regardless.

Uh... pandering to the lowest common denominator has ruined gaming. Games like Duty actively targeting a demographic that half of the age range can't legally buy the game. Xp based, time played multiplayer games. The dumbing down of games/making them more accessible has cost the industry a lot of niche games that were outstanding. Mirco-transactions and cutting out content to re-sell back to players after the fact. Companies constantly chasing their tails trying to land the next Duty or WoW. In short, games and gaming have gone corporate, big business and stopped being about the game play and games.

I'm surprised no one has said the most obvious thing...

Guys, the worst thing that ever happened to gaming was the E.T. Atari game. Y'know, the one that is often considered to be the cause of the video game crash of 1983. The one where for about 4 years video gaming was going further and further down the toilet and many developers and publishers were going bankrupt.

Imagine for a moment if something like that happened in this day and age. Imagine if Ride to Hell Retribution had been so bad that people stopped buying games, console manufacturers threw in the towel, baker's dozens of game developers went out of business and games just became this barren wasteland for about half a decade...

Anyway, to the people who say microtransactions are the worst thing ever, let me just say I disagree. Now I'm not super familiar with how they're used on the AAA market right now so I dunno what "the norm" is, but microtransactions aren't inherently evil. It all comes down to how the developer chooses to use them.

I play a lot of iOS games, and yes, many of them follow the freemium model of using real money to pay for a special type of in-game currency. But as long as the game keeps it so you can actually earn that currency in the game itself without paying for it, and stuff isn't overly priced it works out. Decent examples of this include Happy Street or Middle Manager of Justice. Both of these games were free for me to download and not once have I been forced to spend money on them.

Or Layton Brothers: Mystery Room. That game is free to download, and then you spend about $5 to unlock the full game after what is basically a demo. That's a microtransaction but it seems fair.

So I dunno, I wouldn't say microtransactions are the worst thing that happen to games, I would just say developer greed and stupidity over the use of microtransactions are the worst :P

@ Strain42 most of the AAA practices regarding micro-transactions follow this model; Create full game with costumes, unlockable weapon and skins, then have them on game disk, lock that content off from the customer that already bought the game and then sell that content to them as if it's DLC. Or the dev creates that content, cuts it out of the game disk then has the balls to sell content that should have already been with the base game back to the customer. Or, they have day one dlc that is on game disk, gate it behind an additional fee or a "pre-order bonus" and sell it as if it was developed alongside the game and isn't on disk.

A really, really good recent example of this is the reboot of Killer Instinct. It's supposedly a free to play fighter, complete game on the xbox1 ready to roll from go. In reality what they did was give customers a demo with one playable character, chopped out all the other characters and the new "combo breaker" system (that you need to be competitive or complete achievements) and then had the stones to sell each character, their costumes and the combo breaker piecemeal. This is the type of micro-transaction bullshittery that is going on in AAA gaming and has been for awhile.

"PS2/Gamecube/Xbox" era had good graphics for the time.

As for what I think, I'd say the fast internet speeds was the best and worst thing to happen to gaming.

On one hand, you have awesome online stores like Steam which completely bypass retailers for a cheaper price with awesome sales etc.

On the other hand, you have a growing problem where things like day-one patches, week-one patches and month-one patches are becoming routine, since these days there is very little reason to think that the player can't or won't update to the newest version the very second it becomes available.

I agree with you on graphics OP its now pretty much graphics first, second, and maybe story third. I wouldn't mind them stopping the progression into realism and either hold it or turn it down so we can focus on stories and mechanics if they can't get over hauling these things the industry will crash again you can only dress things up so far before everyone knows your a pig. I have that debate all the time some people I know are graphics only story be damned others get it they'll play whatever for the story and can see beyond the graphics.

The term player accessibility is now code for making the game stupid and hand holding for noobs and to make it even worse its include with every single part of their trilogies I'm sorry if you started to play a long running series or a trilogy from the latest release you deserve to be lost the exception being the model of FF as they deliberately have a new story each game save sequels new players can join in game 1 or allowed to get caught up via 2 but after that sorry do some homework devs need to stop this trend it hurts their player base and long time gamers.

Yes to too huge budgets most of that budget is going towards the realistic graphics I think it was like 80 - 90%! Thats huge and then they want to make not just 100% profits back but 400 - 500% back otherwise they consider it a flop. The keep going for graphics and money as their main goals over the quality of the product they're asking to go under again!

Stifling the industry by refusing to produce games with new heros and new stories we've all heard how black lotus became sleeping dogs only because the publishers didn't want to fund a fem crime boss game and forced them to change her into a he and so rewrite alot of the script in the process and we've all heard about how hard Remember Me devs had to fight to get that game even to market so the industry is stiffing its own creativity by actively denying stories and experiences in favor of the McStubbles template sure every non Mcstubbles gamer will still buy the product just as everyone will go see movies they aren't portrayed in but for how much longer? People are sick of the same old material without the agenda pushers complicating things so normal people are tired of the same templates, the same plots, the same hero arcs, and the same mechanics but the industry isn't getting the hint on a larger scale so maybe they are pass due I can't help but look at the industry they're pretty much repeating alot of mistakes the last crash did but instead of over saturating us with millions of crappy games its limiting it to copy pastes sequels and pretty facades with low to no substance they're practically begging for a industry collapse at this point and they can't even see it.

The so-called "Trinity" Tank-DPS-Healer system. It's been an absolute blight for years, starting from MMORPG's, and has even leaked into singleplayer RPG's, strategy games, and even Pen and Paper D&D. It's one of the most pervasive, simplistic, and mindless concepts in the history of gaming, and it's taken a little over a decade for game developers to even start to abandon it.

I think it's kind of a symptom of modern gaming that I find so troubling sometimes. Where gameplay is designed to be "memorized" instead of encouraging players to find their own creative solutions or tactics. And where AI is designed to act predictably so as to fit in with this entirely botched game design concept(also aggro, another terrible concept).

I think DRM is quite an obvious one here.
Ever since the birth of different media, piracy was always there, copying and taking without paying.
Several developers just decided to use DRM as ''protection'' for piracy, but that was nothing more than a pain in back for legit buyers and the DRM got bypassed anyway. I'm especially talking about online activations and always-online.

Who doesn't remember Error 37 and Simcity? What a chaos that was.
Thankfully this trend is dying off, though some devs still insist on using it.

These DRM distribution platforms are a plague as well.
As an avid gamer I got my games spread over so many logins and platforms (Battle.net, Uplay, steam, origin, gfwl)
Most games don't even support a good offline function and are dependant on these platforms.
Currently we can even see what happens when one of these platforms vanish, GFWL.
Some devs will patch out the DRM, others just remain silent, leaving customers with many questions.

I get the idea of it all sure, but today games are so tightly controlled by companies.

Thank the heavens for sites like GOG.

Ender910:
The so-called "Trinity" Tank-DPS-Healer system. It's been an absolute blight for years, starting from MMORPG's, and has even leaked into singleplayer RPG's, strategy games, and even Pen and Paper D&D.

Wait, D&D? The one, which, you know, has the stereotypical party of rogue, wizard, fighter, and priest? That D&D? I think you may have gotten your cause and effect switched there.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked