Watch Dogs suffers "bullshots" scandal *Ubi damage control & censorship update*

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

http://gamingbolt.com/ubisoft-are-absolutely-frightened-due-to-backlash-against-watch-dogs-insider
http://www.gamepur.com/news/13920-ubisoft-pr-comment-recent-watch-dogs-controversy-graphics-downgraded-looks-.html
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780290
http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/watch-dogs-comparison-latest-build-versus-e3-2012-june-2013-builds/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-visuals-have-not-been-downgraded-ubisoft-says/1100-6418171/

Gamespot video (gif source):
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hacking-and-hentai-one-ridiculous-hour-in-the-watch-dogs-sandbox/1100-6418125/

Just for clarity, bull shots refers to a deceptive bait and switch marketing tactic by showing doctored or fake footage to sell a product. It was used by Aliens Colonial marines, and Rambo: the game. It means "bull shit screen shots."

Watchdog info came out recently, and so did blacklash. Mostly on Neogaf which spread everywhere else.

Neogaf users report a graphical downgrade in the trailer from the initial reveal and the stream from gamespot (the gif) did not help. A far cry from what E3 promised on console.

Ubisoft is reportedly terrified of the backlash, and is asking gamers to trust them and that the game will look great. They offered very little physical evidence so far to support their claims even though they claimed to have actual footage of this "superior" build.

If the footage of the "real" gameplay existed, they would have posted it instead of just asking us to trust them. This is possibly the most unprofessional thing I have seen any major company do.

Now, what do you think? Is anyone else getting an Aliens Colonial Marines vibe here? I mean, yeah there are graphics downgrades but I never seen anything this drastic. If they lied that much about the graphics, I wonder what else they might have lied about. For all I know, this could end up like Duke Nukem forever, a game that was doomed by development hell.

I was planning on preordering it, but now I will wait for reviews and actual in game footage instead of this mish mash of mixed gen footage. The fact ubisoft is tight lipped and relied on twitter is really making me want to wait. They don't sound confident in their game at all if all they do is deflect, deny, and ignore. I cannot afford to drop 60$ on a dud or even an Aliens: Colonial Marines. I doubt anyone can.

If it does turn out to be that bad, I wonder what the hell watch dogs was like before they delayed it for 6 months. I always wondered why the screenshots they showed were almost non existent a couple weeks before release with no pre orders in sight anywhere. Even on steam.

I know everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off and doesn't necessarily prove anything because of hysteria, but the lackluster response from Ubisoft is making me worry. If it was last gen footage, why not just say that? Instead of insulting games from much smaller companies and saying that graphics ultimately doesn't matter? After they marketed the hell out graphics and promised mind blowing graphics?

So what do you think escapist? Has this scandal made you wait? Is it just nitpicking? Did this make you weary of Ubisoft? What are your thoughts?

EDIT: added a source from gamespot itself.

Ubisoft damage control: http://www.gamepur.com/news/13920-ubisoft-pr-comment-recent-watch-dogs-controversy-graphics-downgraded-looks-.html

The Ubisoft PR & event manager says the graphics haven't been down graded. She is asking us to trust her word on how the game looks.

Watch Dogs Creative Director Jonathan Morin mentioning that people shouldn't "worry" about the graphics on a live stream. He says we should just read the Ps4 previews which were positive.

Live stream that Ubisoft deleted then put back up:

He is basically asking us to trust his word and previews as well. People have already accused the positive previews of being written by paid shills.

I also managed to find his twitter: https://twitter.com/Design_Cave/status/442046988133998592

He says the ps4 will look like what E3 2013 showed. Which is contradicted by everything else that's been said by other Ubisoft employees.

Basically, without actual physical evidence and Ubsioft's shifty PR and contradictory answers, trust and transparency has completely broken down between Ubisoft and consumers.

Censorship Update:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780290&page=72
http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/03/ubisoft-downgrades-watch_dogs-graphics-while-denying-it-to-their-customers/

In other news, Neogaf forums are saying Ubisoft is banning users for asking questions about the graphical gap on their twitch Q&A instead of answering their very real questions on their concerns. When things went tits up, they deleted the video entirely.

UPDATE: They re-uploaded the video. It seems they have finally found out that censoring your customers is bad business.

Ubisoft is still being tight lipped on sub par previews, and censoring anything they can. This has reached Defcon 1 on the PR scale.

Hell, I think Ubisoft fucked up their PR on a level that EA won't even go to.

better buckle in, Ubisoft has just opened a gigantic can of worms by censoring instead of actually giving people answers. It seems they have something they really don't want anyone to see, and this is should a huge red flag to cancel pre orders and wait for reviews.

Sorry dude, someone beat you to it. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.844239-Watch-Dogs-visual-downgrades-causing-a-stir-on-neogaf

On that note, oh no, the game might not have as much antialiasing as promised! Call the national guard! Alert the military! Call the president! This is a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY!

Racecarlock:
On that note, oh no, the game might not have as much antialiasing as promised! Call the national guard! Alert the military! Call the president! This is a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY!

Oh no, someone is angry about blatantly dishonest advertising! Better roll my eyes and sneer!

I have a hunch(just a hunch ofcourse :p) that Ubi might have tried to overreach with this game and that the concept was too ambitious for its own good. First delay and now downgrade in graphics it just seems like troubled development. It also sounds this game had trouble with too many conflicting variables which probably hugs up a lot of memory resources. It already looked/sounded too good to be true when I saw the first few trailers and you know how the saying goes. Still I hope Ubi atleast(if not delivering on its full promise) releases a game that is worth playing and is able to show what differentiates the old from the new gen.

Also the twitter comments by that Ubi employee are almost embarrassing. Instead of addressing the issue she dances around it driving the nail in the coffin even further. She probably has her instructions about what she is permitted to say about the game but damn Ubi(like many other companies) should probably give their personnel some lessons in communication. PR disaster in the making.

Well everything will be clear soon. Luckily like with Aliens I dont care about the game and wont be getting it whether it sucks or is amazing, that said if they are deliberately trying to mislead people I hope they get what they deserve and ofc vice versa.

I think Aliens was just a drastic overstepping of a boundary that is crossed often and not stridently by a lot of other games and their previews. But yes, Ubisoft should be afraid, because not supplying what you advertise is a sure way to get even the people who are interested to doubt you.

I'm inclined to agree with stroopwafel, I think Ubisoft shot for the moon here and reality has set in. While they probably were being deceptive I would say that they genuinely believed they could get the game to look like that by prom night. I'm not outraged, yet, because fuck graphics, but I will wait for reviews before I pick this up now just to make sure I don't get suckered.

Well it's a good thing I haven't been following this game that closely. All I can really remember from what I have seen is being able to turn the street lights off and cover shooting... So if I do end up getting this game I'll be oblivious to what was bs and what actually made it.

If the game is running at anything less than 1080p on PS4, then ill be all out of fucks to give as it will likely run at higher resolutions on PC.

[REDACTED]:

Racecarlock:

Oh no, someone is angry about blatantly dishonest advertising! Better roll my eyes and sneer!

Oh, no. A game might not coming out exactly the way it was announced nearly 2 years ago.

Ha, nice reference to the Far Cry 3 fiasco. Man that Aisha Tyler trailer is fucking terrible, hope the next gen versions don't look like that.

Crying shame... Watch Dogs was looking like one of my favorite games of the year, along with Titanfall.

Let's see where this goes, but I admit it's not looking for Ubisoft.

While I can agree that there's definitely an issue with the graphical quality, I don't see how this is at all on the level of Colonial Marines. In that case it wasn't just about graphical quality, it was about being sold a near completely different game than was delivered. I don't doubt that Watch Dogs will be at least a little less "pretty" than they made it out to be but it's probably still going to be the modern day Assassins Creed that it originally looked like.

While I find the reaction of gamers and people interested in the game way too over the top, I throw this in Ubisoft's lap. They helped create a console generation based on 'Best looking graphics' with the PS3/360, crying foul is very unprofessional when people point out the issues with the game's graphics between a two year gap. It is something that should have been expected.

gigastar:
If the game is running at anything less than 1080p on PS4, then ill be all out of fucks to give as it will likely run at higher resolutions on PC.

Looks like the PS4 will be 1080p for PS4 960p for Xbone, and 4k for PC. So you will still have some fucks left to give.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/report-watch-dogs-will-1080p-ps4-960p-xbox-one-4k-pc/73596.html

[REDACTED]:

Racecarlock:

A company promising the moon and not delivering on such is nothing new. I mean, be mad by all means, but why are people surprised? Are they new to this industry? Everyone knows they lie about stuff by now.

Plus I'm pretty sure those new screenshots were taken from the 360 and ps3 version that they're also developing.

Racecarlock:

[REDACTED]:

Racecarlock:

A company promising the moon and not delivering on such is nothing new. I mean, be mad by all means, but why are people surprised? Are they new to this industry? Everyone knows they lie about stuff by now.

Plus I'm pretty sure those new screenshots were taken from the 360 and ps3 version that they're also developing.

Actually, the bridge comparison gif was from the ps4 version. Gamespot and Sony confirmed that part. Which makes it all worse because the PR damage control is sticking to the E3 story, which is patently not true if previewers show something different.

It also makes no sense to show last gen gameplay on a next gen game meant for graphics hype.

There is a reason its been spread around so much, its what Ubisoft promised and what they delivered.

Ultratwinkie:
Now, what do you think? Is anyone else getting an Aliens Colonial Marines vibe here? I mean, yeah there are graphics downgrades but I never seen anything this drastic. If they lied that much about the graphics, I wonder what else they might have lied about. For all I know, this could end up like Duke Nukem forever, a game that was doomed by development hell.

I was planning on preordering it, but now I will wait for reviews and actual in game footage instead of this mish mash of mixed gen footage. The fact ubisoft is tight lipped and relied on twitter is really making me want to wait. They don't sound confident in their game at all if all they do is deflect, deny, and ignore. I cannot afford to drop 60$ on a dud or even an Aliens: Colonial Marines. I doubt anyone can.

I just watched one of the gameplay videos on GameSpot (about stealth and hacking) you linked to and it has me more excited about the game than before. Unless there's something about gameplay being different, then it doesn't matter. Tell me if there's something I can't do now that they showed in a gameplay demo previously. You and others care so much about graphics, it's ridiculous, just play the fucking game. It's an open world game, it's not going to look as good as some linear game, all I care about graphics-wise with open world games is framerate and pop-in. This is nowhere near Aliens Colonial Marines territory.

haha holy fuck, that is 2008 levels of badness, now normally I'm not a graphics snob in the slightest, but this is horrible false advertising and the back pedalling by ubisoft is shameful, I really hope they get one fat fucking kick to the face with this in some way, it's horseshit when companies blatantly lie about their games.

(there is a difference between cinematic and gameplay trailers, they CLEARLY confirmed it was actual gameplay footage they were using.)

Well, Watchdogs always did look a little too good to be true.

And it turns out it was!

Meh, the gamespot preview looks about how I expected it to look. I really don't care about Watchdogs, but it doesn't look terrible.
When actual footage is played in trailers, don't they just scream and rub this fact in your face? I don't recall any of that from the old videos.

I can handle a graphical downgrade - the Aliens debacle was about a LOT more than just the graphics we were shown. Still, it's good that publishers are afraid of their customers now. Maybe Aliens, tragic though it was, will have a positive influence never the less.

I plan on getting this game for my Wii U anyway, so graphics are no big deal.

Oh for fucks sake, who cares? The thing only needs to look as good GTAIV and GTAV for it to satisfy me.

Like I said earlier: this happened with Farcry 3, I'm not surprised it's happening here.

It's a dickhead move, and the game really did look too incredible, graphically speaking, to be something that would actually end up in the living room or on our monitors.

And, lo and behold, it was, and is. Steam sale game, I guess.

I find this delightful in a way...

It's a nice continuation of the Jimquisition episode on "resolutiongate": These dumb-ass publishers have been promising the fucking moon, graphics-wise, on console hardware, and when it turns out that "oops, those machines can't actually handle that" people flip out.

Well, they deserve it. The console fanboys (the fanboys, not everyone) deserve to have their unrealistic expectations crushed and the publishers deserve every bit of backlash they get for creating that expectation.

Wait a gosh darn second. You mean Ubisoft is making bullshots of their games? Why they've never ever ever ever EVER done that before.

Seriously, was anybody really expecting this to be a representation of the full game, especially after learning that Ubisoft, the Bullshot Extraordinaire, was involved?

I'm still looking forward to it, but come on guys, did anybody not see this coming?

Looks like it's missing some shaders there.

While nobody likes bait and switch tactics and it's right to criticise them, you also shouldn't jump to conclusions. Wait until we start getting footage through from review builds, not preview builds two months before release. Marketing and development are two different divisions trying to work together to sell a game. The marketing people are going to want a number of builds for things like press demos and preview videos, but sometimes the realities of development can work against that.

Let's say a bug is introduced to the demo branch at the 11th hour. It's pretty crippling and causes a crash, but you find that if you run without some of your post processing effects, you can circumvent the bug. Now you have a choice to either delay your press demo or run with the version missing the post-processing. Depending on the marketing schedule, you may well choose to do the latter. In this case for example, I imagine Ubisoft wanted to release some stuff this week before Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 start dominating the press.

By all means draw attention to the reduced quality and keep a close eye on the review footage a week before release, but it is too early to be calling shenanigans just yet.

Ultratwinkie:

Kinda weird to see a twitter conversation between two people I know irl show up on this forum. Small world and the age of information technology, I guess.

Anyway, about the graphical downgrade. It's pretty much what I suspected would happen. I've seen too much examples of it happening for it to even make me raise an eyebrow anymore, so I'm not going to blow gasket over it.

The censorship attempts are worthy of some eyerolling though. They should know better than to think they can contain something like that. Not on the internet.

I am tired of the "I don't play graphics" argument. Personally, I always cared about story more anyways, which kept me from enjoying MP heavy offers. Even so, it is a far cry for me to go back and play, say, an RPG on the SNES (unless the nostalgia factor kicks in). It's the XBONE/PS4 era, we should expect a certain level of quality by virtue of that alone. Otherwise, why did we bother "upgrading" the console generation at all?

More of concern for me is the FALSE ADVERTISING that is happening. Frankly, I think the graphics look fine (assuming those caps were for last-gen). However, if they are having trouble achieving their ambition, I am more concerned about either:

a) hardware capabilities of current gen, or

b) the faithfulness/trustworthiness of the dev team itself.

I am getting a distinct vibe here that reminds me of Alpha Protocol, which I happen to like. That was a game that catered to my interests: great story, branching paths, action RPG, being a spy. However, my enjoyment of the product was privy to ignoring that it was a buggy-as-heck mess that was poorly optimized and more poorly implemented.

There too was a game that SHOULD have released prior to the X-mas season, but took an extra 6 months. When it released, I wondered what the team had done with that extra time, as quality of the game was much lower than I had expected. Granted, Obsidian games are always buggy, but also competent, entertaining, and imminently playable. Heck, with fan mods, my few complains were removed for KOTOR 2 (and Fallout New Vegas).

On an unrelated note, I find it amusing how fan restoration/mod projects seem to bring Obisidian's projects in line with initial expectations. It's as if that dev team is constantly shorting itself on time, or simply following-through poorly because they can't be bothered.

Back to Alpha Protocol, I enjoyed that game on the potential I saw for what might have been. I shouldn't have to do that with Watch Dogs, and I don't think I will. I have faith in the company that brought us Assassin's Creed 2 and 4. Unfortunately, it is also the company that brought us Assassin's Creed 1 and 3...so my faith only extends so far...

In any event, I preordered Watch Dogs already, with expiring gift cards, so I can only complain but so much (effectively getting it for $30, after all). Unfortunately, it also means I am stuck with whatever they decide to put out. Even if Watch Dogs falls below expectations, I'm sure it will become a cult hit among a group of die-hards (just like Alpha Protocol).

However, for the amount of time, money, and effort spent, I am severely hoping this all turns out for the better.

EDIT: I just saw the released trailer. It isn't as pretty as prior trailers, but the game still looks good. I shouldn't be surprised anymore by these things. However, what DOES get me is what the heck the earlier tech demos were (E3 and Jimmy Fallon). It's like Halo 2 all over again.

Perhaps I'll just get this on PC after all, which is a waste, as I got my PS4 to play this game (among others).

Well no wonder they get backlash when they show it one way and then they deliver something else. It's fucking Alien Colonial Marines all over again with the vertical slice of gameplay just to make stupid people preorder.

Game still looks interesting regardless and I don't think I will have any lowered graphics problems on the PC, but still this is just wrong in my opinion.

i think the lie is more prominent than these half life 2 ps2 grade low res graphics.

i know why they do it, but they should really start to tone it down or we may suspect that old pete is a vampire.
out to build an army to conquer the gaming galaxy.

SaneAmongInsane:
Oh for fucks sake, who cares?

we do.

its the developer who cried wolf story and we are sick of it.

if they would come clean....

but then again, we are talink about gamer communities.

Easy solution to all of your problems:
Dont preorder (its bs anyway)
Look at reviews...than buy it or dont.

Problem solved. Do I get a medal now?

Seracen:
More of concern for me is the FALSE ADVERTISING that is happening. Frankly, I think the graphics look fine (assuming those caps were for last-gen). However, if they are having trouble achieving their ambition, I am more concerned about either:

a) hardware capabilities of current gen, or

b) the faithfulness/trustworthiness of the dev team itself.

This.

I normally don't give a shit about graphics, and I would have no problem if they showed us graphics like this straight from the start.

As it stands though they either lied about their game or something fucked up so badly behind the scenes they had to lower the quality of the game to get it running.

Neither of those scenarios are particularly good.

Rather wait and see what the gameplay is like, if that sucks then amazing graphics would never have saved it.

Colonial Marines got ripped a new one because of the same thing, rightly so, and so should this game... just because its something many here have been eagerly anticipating one shouldnt be too prepared to give it some leeway.

Can I show you footage of a game so realistic it looks like a rip out of some high quality movie, then sell you pac man ? Its a game, it works and graphics aint everything ...right ?

If I show you Minecraft, you dont expect Crytek graphics...you expect blocks...but if I show you Crytek graphics and deliver Minecraft, then I am misleading you with false information.

Sorry, but no matter what game or what it promises... the fact remains that at a tradeshow what was shown as actual game footage and won awards and much hype as a result, and is now suddenly not even close to the same level, it is lying to you and hoping to get away with it with some PR BS.
Either they lied or are incompetent, neither bodes well.

To all who say "why are people upset/little sissies etc":

Ubisoft themselves made the hype, now they feel the backlash. Nothing wrong or abnormal with that.
This whole thing is nothing new in gaming.

There is no reason for you to try and ride a high horse here. If you really do not have anything to say but "i dont care and do not understand why you do" then it would be best, to just not comment at all.

I am a little surprised, honestly, that ubisoft would even run the RISK of putting an arrow into the knee of its new ip flagship project.
"I once had the prospect of being a best selling game, but then i took a false-marketing-arrow to the knee..."

Alas, i am sad that this tactic is creeping its way back into the so called AAA market.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked