Pokemon NXT

So, while browsing YouTube. I came across this footage of a fan-made Pokemon game called Pokemon NXT . The game is an open-world Pokemon game in which you can control your Pokemon in battle. It also looks like they give you an option to do the classic form of battling as well.

The game is currently in pre-alpha, so it still has a long way to go. But I see potential. But I see two big roadblocks that could ruin this game. Nintendo and lack of a skilled development team. I don't know how Gamefreak or Nintendo handle these types of things, but I know a good majority of other companies would slap a copyright claim on this in a heart beat. *cough Skyrim Lord of the Rings *cough. And this would be a huge endeavor that would require a skilled team to make.

The YouTube page has a link to help out with the game and a free demo for those interested.

So, what are your thoughts on this game. Think it'll get shut down soon? Think the goal is unachievable? I for one have always wanted an open-world Pokemon game where you can play as a Pokemon.

Here is a hardlink in case the embed fails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK2Dsdn-uq0

Elfgore:

The game is currently in pre-alpha, so it still has a long way to go. But I see potential. But I see two big roadblocks that could ruin this game. Nintendo and lack of a skilled development team. I don't know how Gamefreak or Nintendo handle these types of things, but I know a good majority of other companies would slap a copyright claim on this in a heart beat. *cough Skyrim Lord of the Rings *cough. And this would be a huge endeavor that would require a skilled team to make.

How Nintendo handles these things? Generally with big fat cease and desists and threat of legal action. They shut down several fan projects already including various attempts at Pokemon MMOs. I don't expect this will be alive for very long, as much as I'd love to see something like it come to fruition.

The footage looks extremely unpolished at the moment, but it is in pre-alpha so obviously there will be improvements. Hopefully this lives long enough to make it into a playable state. I've wanted a Pokemon where you directly control your Pokemon in 3D battles for so long.

They should've kept it hidden until it was done honestly. Nintendo will shut it down as soon as they can, which is a great shame.

I'm reminded of Sega and the Streets of Rage remake, but at least that was pretty much finished and once they put a build out there for download it became impossible for them to get rid of it.

Why do people insist on showing off their work, before it's finished, when it can get slapped with Copyright?

It looks like crap right now. They've got a LONG LONG way to go to make it playable, let alone "Good"

SaneAmongInsane:
Why do people insist on showing off their work, before it's finished, when it can get slapped with Copyright?

That's what I always think when someone shows off this kind of project. I guess these days they may want to get stuff like this Kickstarted. or at least garner some attention, which as you said, will mean more trouble in the long run.

OT: It looks neat and all, but I've never felt an intense desire for a full 3D Pokemon game like that. I hope it's made someday, but considering Gamefreak is very determined to keep the main series on handhelds, I don't think we will get it for a while.

SaneAmongInsane:

It looks like crap right now. They've got a LONG LONG way to go to make it playable, let alone "Good"

My thoughts exactly. Usually if you're an aspiring game dev and you have a project with potential, showing it off is fine, even when it is in Pre-Alpha and sucks. It's a good way to get yourself hyped and to get people interested. But showing something off that is an obvious copyright infringement (Free game or not) can get you in big trouble. To many interesting projects based off of already known IPs have been cancelled because of this. The best way to approach something like this would be finish it, get it onto the torrent sites, and never officially associate yourself with it. Of course if you want credit you can associate yourself with it, just make sure you put it onto your "official site" and when you get slapped with a copyright claim take it down, never speak of it again, and make sure it can still be torrented. That way people know you made it, you get to look like a martyr, and people still get to play it.

Ehh. I dunno. I find that Pokemon, like Animal Crossing, is a franchise that is best done on handhelds. Still, if it's truly open world, not like "yeah there's a big world but you gotta go about it in this exact order" that would be cool.

Unfortunately, this game is now destined to die, since Nintendo will strike it down with copyright.

teqrevisited:
They should've kept it hidden until it was done honestly. Nintendo will shut it down as soon as they can, which is a great shame.

SaneAmongInsane:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say because they don't want to spend six months to a year working on this, only for all their hard work to be completely taken away by a copyright claim.

A comment did say they received the okay from Nintendo, but I don't really trust the YouTube comment section. I'll look into it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked