Need good fantasy rts / turn based game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hi, I've been looking for a good fantasy strategy game. I'm kind of getting tired of playing the same games over and over.

I currently own these games:
-Warcraft III + expansion
-Spellforce I and II
-HoMM 5 + expansions
-Age of Wonders II
-LoTR BFME I

So, what games can you veterans out there advice me? Ofcourse, I'm looking for a fantasy setting RTS or turned based. Doestn't matter if it's old or not, as long as it's worth playing :).

P.S. is this the right forum?

Master of Magic.

Disciples II + Expansions

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 + Expansions (there are about a dozen of them); skip HoMM4, it's bad.

Age of Wonders 1

Etherlords

I concur on the quality of Disciples II and its expansions, and beating a ten-dollar price point is tough.

Final Fantasy Tactics. The DS one is pretty good; the playstation one is, in my opinion, the best final fantasy game that's been made.

The Fire Emblem series if you have a GBA or DS.

If you're willing to stray from fantasy;

Company of Heroes
Medieval 2 (there are some fantasy mods for that)

Also if willing to stray from fantasy:
Valkyria Chronicles

Gamer137:

Or Gamcube/Wii. The Gamecube and Wii ones are the absolute best, in my opinion (I've only had the privelage of playing the ones released in the US, though).

Would reccomend Final Fantasy Tactics, especially Tactics Advance. Also on Final Fantasy, I would go for XII: Revenant Wings, although that's not strictly RTS, more DS Final Fantasy with some tactical elements. Advance Wars is good but not particularly fantasy, while Fire Emblem is meant to be good (although I've not played it myself).

King's Bounty is like a juiced up Heroes of Might and Magic. Fantasy Wars is also pretty nice if you don't mind the somewhat bad translation (it is a Russian game translated into English after all).

What about Starcraft: Brood War?

Rise of Legends I heard was supposed to be pretty decent. Never played it though but if anything as good as Rise of Nations than definately worth checking out

Cousin_IT:
Rise of Legends I heard was supposed to be pretty decent. Never played it though but if anything as good as Rise of Nations than definately worth checking out

Good game. Plays a lot like Rise of Nations.

It would help if you mentioned what systems you have, but anyways:

-Final Fanasy Tactics (GB or PSP versions)
-Disagea (gameboy, PSP)
-Disagea 2 (PS2 and soon PSP)
-Bahamut Lagoon (SNES emulator only)
-Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA)
-Jeanne D'arc (PSP)
-Wild Arms
-Fire Emblem...I guess (not a big fan)
-Warhammer 40K squad command (DS or PSP)
-Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars (GBA)

There is more that I can't remember at the moment but that list will keep you busy. The hand Held is THE way to go if your looking for turn based strategy in particular.

Age of Empires 2? Not fantasy but historical.

utopia.swirve.com

Fantasy MMO Strategy Game. Next to no graphics (web-based) but the experience is something special. It's hard to explain, there's alot of depth and diplomacy to the various interactions you have with other players. Try it - you'll see!

Try out the Heroes of Might and Magic series. I recommend Heroes 3. Its great.
Final Fantasy Tactics is, of course, brilliant but towards the end requires very little strategy.
I've heard Age of Wonders is wicked as well.

Dominion 3 - The Awakening

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/DOM3/DOM3_page.html

Pretty minimalistic and hardcore from an independant developer. Constant patches. Mostly strategy map gameplay with simulated battles.

I have a great one but its futuristic not fantasy
http://www.supremecommander.com/
I have had it for a year or so and I am still playing with it.
downside is it takes a fair amount of power to run so you would need a decent comp.

Battle for Wesnoth, which is a completely free indie game. The bad part is that I'm so lazy I'm not going to give you a link.

Gamer137:

Yes. YES.

Gamer137:

Hell yes. This is what I was going to suggest. The games of the series I have played were so much fun.

If you can wait about 6 months you might want to try Demigod.

I'm in the beta right now and its shaping up to be a lot of fun.

WaffleGod:
Hi, I've been looking for a good fantasy strategy game. I'm kind of getting tired of playing the same games over and over.

I currently own these games:
-Warcraft III + expansion
-Spellforce I and II
-HoMM 5 + expansions
-Age of Wonders II
-LoTR BFME I

So, what games can you veterans out there advice me? Ofcourse, I'm looking for a fantasy setting RTS or turned based. Doestn't matter if it's old or not, as long as it's worth playing :).

P.S. is this the right forum?

dr_scitt:
Also if willing to stray from fantasy:
Valkyria Chronicles

Seconded. Fantasy WW2 RTS for the win.

It's a shame the story goes from interesting to cookie cutter anime bullshit about half way through.

Valkyria Chronicles
Age of Wonder 2: Shadow Magic
Dawn of War (Soulstorm is on sale for $7.50 until the 28th on Steam. Also includes invite to the DoW2 Beta)

It would help if you mentioned what systems you have

I have a PC (pentium IV so, not too good for playing modern day games ;)), a Gameboy classic, colour, advance and a Playstation 2 and 3.

Company of Heroes
Medieval 2 (there are some fantasy mods for that)

Already got those :)

Dawn of War (Soulstorm is on sale for $7.50 until the 28th on Steam. Also includes invite to the DoW2 Beta)

Got all the DoW games aswell (not DoW2 obviously :p). Forgot to put those in there, sorry. And, DoW II won't run on this pc :'(

Hehehe Im playing Age of Empires again, forgot how much fun it was...

Ummm, other than that, got no idea, this is one of my rarely explored genres, that I play on a random whim, you'd probably be able to recommend me better.

J-Man:
If you're willing to stray from fantasy;

Company of Heroes

IF patching decides it wants to work on your computer, sure, I'd reccommend CoH as well.

*is a regreful owner of Opposing fronts since July and has never played it cause it utterly refuses to patch.*

I bought advance wars today (haven't got it yet)
It's so toony it can be considered fantasy as well :P

The Random One:
Battle for Wesnoth, which is a completely free indie game. The bad part is that I'm so lazy I'm not going to give you a link.

I agree so here is the site: http://www.wesnoth.org/

Final Fantasy Tactics. You can have an army of Black Mages! A whole army!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Final Fantasy Tactics. You can have an army of Black Mages! A whole army!

And all of them will jog on the spot constantly.

Definetely Warhammer - Mark of Chaos + Battle March expansion.

Hmmm...people have already said Fire Emblem, and you already have DoW plus all the expansions.

I second Wesnoth. It's complex enough to be challenging and competitive, yet easy enough to pick up that my mum can play it with me.

She also plays Advance Wars 2 with me when she's in the mood. ^.^ It's actually quite a lot of fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked