The Witcher 3 - DAT TRAILER THO edition *NOW WITH GAMEPLAY FROM E3AND IGN*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Ultratwinkie:

Kiting also means what I just said. You walk backwards or side to side. Neither of which is a complex combat system. Neither of which are new ideas. There are many different kinds of kiting, you are using its MMO definition.

Ok, so I'm done debating things with you since you like putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about the Souls games being the height of complexity. I simply said I found it more complex. That's it, and I still stand by it. I found TW2 combat to be repetitive and dull. Yes, please continue to debate that.

However, what you said is simply incorrect. Let me re-iterate that: you are wrong. Kiting doesn't mean anything regarding what you just said. You cannot just make up a new definition for a very well defined and used game mechanic and use it on the fly to try to help your argument. Kiting means kiting. There are different kinds, like snare kiting, root bombing, and quadding. However, none of these involve melee. Kiting, is by definition, not a melee range skill. That's not even objectively debatable without a significant amount of intellectual dishonesty.

Gonna update the thread later when the Witcher 3 gameplay from E3 gets uploaded to youtube.

I don't have exclusively good things to say about it.

Cant wait for this, 1&2 were fantastic, i got first 3 books too and will have to get the rest. But finally more witchers in the gang, just awesome!

... I don't see the Hype Guys, I just don't see it. It looks nice, but all I'm seeing is Elder Scrolls gameplay wise, and that is just "Okay".

Still, I hope you guys have fun with it, I just don't see anything good in it myself...

I don't know if it's possible for me to want this game more...

Absolutely stunning. I love how the world is so colourful. It goes against the standard of: dark gloomy story needs a dark gloomy world.

From an art design and graphical perspective, the Witcher 2 is IMO the best looking game ever. This looks set to take its spot.

Gameplay looks fantastic. Very much like Witcher 2's combat only more refined, pretty much exactly as I was hoping it would be.

Mr.Mattress:
... I don't see the Hype Guys, I just don't see it. It looks nice, but all I'm seeing is Elder Scrolls gameplay wise, and that is just "Okay".

Witcher 1 and 2 play nothing at all like the Elder Scrolls games. Nothing at all. So if thinking they're like the Elder scrolls series has been keeping you from giving them a try you shouldn't worry. Seriously, you might as well be comparing The Witcher to Warcraft 3 for how valid the comparison is, after all both games take place in a fantasy setting... and that's about it as far as similarities go.

Might be worth giving a try in the future.

Gameplay looks good. I'm all for the additional tracking mechanics and fighting and tracking more monsters, the actual combat of TW2 worked well and was fun so I'm glad that is back.

Re: gameplay video, ofc it's likely to look easy - they had a 5 minute slot so obviously were playing on easy settings so the guy wouldn't have to restart so often. If he was even playing it...

I want to preorder this from gog.com but don't have the money. Or a pc that can run it. I'd still buy it for when I have a pc to run it.

Too bad they showed the downgraded version (X1), because what they showed wasn't looking better than Witcher 2 on PC.

Other than that loved the gameplay, really glad to see the stunned followed by an execute kill is being kept. Dodging is way better than rolling for me.

The gameplay is looking pretty nice so far. Seems like the parrying is more viable this time around, so fortunately we should be rolling around a lot less. The dodging seems better overall as well (though I hope we'll also be able to pirouette). The environment looks pretty good too. Only thing that concerns me is the whole cutscene at the end. I hope battles don't end in cutscenes like that, and it was just done for this presentation.

Mr.Mattress:

Still, I hope you guys have fun with it, I just don't see anything good in it myself...

You go in for the storyline which is everything bioware used to put out and more. The gameplay is special more because: Its designed around the witcher and how he operates. your not just in his skin swinging his sword your swinging and moving and fighting the way he would have moved! your hunting and stalking and preparing your body with potions(which dont heal but alter certain stats) the way he would.

edit: also consider me making payments on the collectors edition! this mans getting his witcher medallion!

BathorysGraveland2:
The gameplay is looking pretty nice so far. Seems like the parrying is more viable this time around, so fortunately we should be rolling around a lot less. The dodging seems better overall as well (though I hope we'll also be able to pirouette). The environment looks pretty good too. Only thing that concerns me is the whole cutscene at the end. I hope battles don't end in cutscenes like that, and it was just done for this presentation.

I imagine some will and some will not. Though I wouldnt mind it so much.

Alarien:

Ultratwinkie:

Kiting also means what I just said. You walk backwards or side to side. Neither of which is a complex combat system. Neither of which are new ideas. There are many different kinds of kiting, you are using its MMO definition.

Ok, so I'm done debating things with you since you like putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about the Souls games being the height of complexity. I simply said I found it more complex. That's it, and I still stand by it. I found TW2 combat to be repetitive and dull. Yes, please continue to debate that.

However, what you said is simply incorrect. Let me re-iterate that: you are wrong. Kiting doesn't mean anything regarding what you just said. You cannot just make up a new definition for a very well defined and used game mechanic and use it on the fly to try to help your argument. Kiting means kiting. There are different kinds, like snare kiting, root bombing, and quadding. However, none of these involve melee. Kiting, is by definition, not a melee range skill. That's not even objectively debatable without a significant amount of intellectual dishonesty.

Kiting means you aggroed a monster, and can't be damaged by it while also still have the ability to damage it. Ranged combat is famous for it, but its not the only way you can do it. There are different kinds, and that varies by MMO and what class you play. Everquest started it, but it does not own it. Its well past the purist meaning now, and even has its owwn bastardization.

You can do it as a melee character, you just can't do it 100% of the time. Moving out of melee range during an attack is kiting. All the monster has to do is keep its attention on you.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kite
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/18903/what-is-kiting

Its meaning changes with the MMO. Don't say Everquest has a monopoly on it. It doesn't even need ranged attacks anymore because it diversified. All of them are kiting now. You keep calling back to "objective definitions" from an ancient almost dead MMO. Not to mention how ridiculous it is to use "objective" on words that expand in meaning and happens to also be slang.

You were, by definition, complaining because you wanted an outdated bog standard RPG from over 6 years ago. Crying about the evil "consoles" when CD Projekt was always PC first so therefore it must be "tainted" in your mind. Even when they give PC gamers 150% to make sure they are happy.

You keep trying to use "complex" and "definition" and "intellectual" but there is nothing complex in your entire argument. You are trying to pass off something simple as something complex. In reality, you played the witcher on easy and then complained about how easy it is.

There is a reason everyone is dog piling on your argument and not on mine. Because your complaints are pointless, and as others have even said was just plain wrong.

And yet all of that wouldn't have happened if you just said "I didn't like it personally" and left it like that instead of trying to make it all "fancy" and "intellectual" with buzz words. You try to turn your opinion into fact and praising other games that are far from complex and are incredibly simple.

DarkhoIlow:
Too bad they showed the downgraded version (X1), because what they showed wasn't looking better than Witcher 2 on PC.

Other than that loved the gameplay, really glad to see the stunned followed by an execute kill is being kept. Dodging is way better than rolling for me.

It looks like complete shit because all the videos uploaded are crap as far as quality goes. First the quality gets downgraded because its on a massive screen, then its downgraded because its on a stream, then its downgraded again because some guy is recording the stream on his PC at home, and then downgraded once again when its uploaded to youtube. With each step the game looks less and less impressive.

I can guarantee you the same bit will look absolutely stunning on your PC at home. That being said, I'm also willing to bet a copy of The Witcher 3 that the gameplay shown was in fact running on a PC and not an XB1, just like 90% of the other games shown at the conference.

BathorysGraveland2:
Only thing that concerns me is the whole cutscene at the end. I hope battles don't end in cutscenes like that, and it was just done for this presentation.

Same here, if that griffin fight is cut in half for a cool finishing cutscene where Geralt whirls around doing kickass shit while I take my hands off the keyboard I'm gonna be pissed off.

Also that whole demo better have been running on easy, it didn't look nearly challenging enough for my taste. I also hope I can turn off the big "HEY THIS GUY IS ABOUT TO ATTACK SO YOU BETTER PRESS PARRY IN THE NEXT 10 SECONDS BEFORE HE DOES SO" indicator, I absolutely despise that stuff. Contrary to popular developer belief, yes, we gamers actually tend to have eyesight sufficient to see when an enemy raises his sword above his head and runs in the player characters general direction.

On the positive side, it seems like having to use specific tactics for specific monsters is back again and more important than in The Witcher 2. Heres to hoping the crossbow isn't the end all be all solution to every fight in the game. Speaking of which; FUCK YEAH CROSSBOWS!

Also that DA: Inquisition trailer was complete trash, holy shit.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Also that whole demo better have been running on easy, it didn't look nearly challenging enough for my taste. I also hope I can turn off the big "HEY THIS GUY IS ABOUT TO ATTACK SO YOU BETTER PRESS PARRY IN THE NEXT 10 SECONDS BEFORE HE DOES SO" indicator, I absolutely despise that stuff. Contrary to popular developer belief, yes, we gamers actually tend to have eyesight sufficient to see when an enemy raises his sword above his head and runs in the player characters general direction.

To be fair, the first two games had similar things. The flaming sword indicator in The Witcher, and the riposte indicator in Witcher 2. The former gets turned off on the hardest difficulty setting though (not sure about second game's riposte indicator). I imagine it'll be similar.

But for presentation purposes, they'd probably play on easy anyway, so as not to get killed and have their limited showing time wasted.

Goodbye frame rate on my current pc, seriously i want this game.

Mr.Mattress:

It ain't the Elder Scrolls. For one, the world is said to be much bigger than Skyrim. I think they said a single city has more buildings and people than the entirety of Skyrim.

You can ride boats, do underwater exploration, and then you have the save import system so the world changes with your choices and you import all your old stuff. Something that Bethesda never does.

The combat also isn't going to be floaty where the block button only exists for Role Playing Purposes and hits have no weight behind them.

An Open world RPg is hard to find, an open world RPG the scale of the witcher 3 and none of the aspects are dumbed down is a gaming unicorn now. Its amazing the witcher 3 exists, and they spent much less than any other AAA game.

Also, it has special effects like full on fur physics. Which hasn't really been done before.

Oh and they said you can't abandon your quests. They actually have urgency to them.

Ultratwinkie:
Also, it has special effects like full on fur physics. Which hasn't really been done before.

Fucking physx though, I won't be able to turn that on with my 7950.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Ultratwinkie:

No one can. I hear that it gets 30fps on a 780 TI. No one right now can run it if that's true.

I guess that will be a treat for everyone in 2020 though. Just like how Crysis is low spec now.

Ultratwinkie:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Ultratwinkie:

No one can. I hear that it gets 30fps on a 780 TI. No one right now can run it if that's true.

I guess that will be a treat for everyone in 2020 though. Just like how Crysis is low spec now.

Maybe if CDProjekt revealed what hardware they were running when they recorded the gameplay for the trailers (and probably for the E3 demo too) we could build that exact PC and pray for 30 FPS when maxing it out. ;_;

Ultratwinkie:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Ultratwinkie:

Nah..a Titan Z will probably be enough to run fur physics.

Just pre-ordered the game. First time I've ever done so. While usually I like to get the physical copy of a game, here, I got it for $50.00 (discounts) with a bunch of bonus stuff, including the entirety of Neverwinter Nights 1 and its expansions for free, all together neatly. To get the standard retail, I'd have to spend $90.00 without those bonuses.

This is the only time I've seen a pre-order that has actually moved me to take advantage of it. Really good shit.

Ultratwinkie:
It ain't the Elder Scrolls. For one, the world is said to be much bigger than Skyrim. I think they said a single city has more buildings and people than the entirety of Skyrim.

So then the depth of the world will be even more shallow than Skyrim? That doesn't bode well at all. Adding more shit doesn't make a better game. CDPR still has to obey the laws of physics: if they spend more time making the game "wide", that necessarily means they must spend less time making the game "deep".

Ultratwinkie:
....and then you have the save import system so the world changes with your choices and you import all your old stuff. Something that Bethesda never does.

So like TW2, where your import did approximately fuck and all?

Ultratwinkie:
The combat also isn't going to be floaty where the block button only exists for Role Playing Purposes and hits have no weight behind them.

The combat looked even worse than TW2. The flash-step hop Geralt has now when dodging looks terrible. The sword blows don't look weighty at all.

edit: I have rewatched the gameplay e3 trailer, and the new "dodge" Geralt does is way less teleport-y than it looked when I watched it on the stream. I rescind that particular gripe, but will leave the comment as is.

Ultratwinkie:
An Open world RPg is hard to find, an open world RPG the scale of the witcher 3 and none of the aspects are dumbed down is a gaming unicorn now. Its amazing the witcher 3 exists, and they spent much less than any other AAA game.

For the love of God do not hype this up to be gaming Jesus. You will only disappoint yourself and everyone who is naive enough to believe you.

Oh and they said you can't abandon your quests. They actually have urgency to them.

That actually sounds interesting!

Now, despite my post up until now being rather negative, I don't mean to state that TW3 will be, at all, a bad game. I would bet 60 U.S. dollars in fact that it will be at least pretty good. HOWEVER, just because TW2 was a very good RPG and a colossal leap over its predecessor doesn't mean that CDPR will be able to make such a similar leap with the 3rd game. Letting developer hype pull you into making a fantasy Witcher 3 in your head won't do anyone any good, other than CDPR to make more money. Discuss the game as it is actually presented and how it is discussed by people who have actually played it without bias, as opposed to the people who have a very vested interest in getting you to part with your money.

And hey, maybe The Witcher 3 actually will end up being the amazing gaming Unicorn everyone would love it to be and we can all laugh about how silly I am next year, but on the very real chance it isn't, getting overhyped will only make it worse.

That's All, Carry On.

There's an IGN gameplay video of more of the game shown: it shows the city of Novigrad and others.

Here's the link, update it in the main post: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/10/the-witcher-3-gameplay-demo-ign-live-e3-2014. If you can't I guess you gotta wait for a youtube upload.

DarkhoIlow:
There's an IGN gameplay video of more of the game shown: it shows the city of Novigrad and others.

Here's the link, update it in the main post: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/10/the-witcher-3-gameplay-demo-ign-live-e3-2014. If you can't I guess you gotta wait for a youtube upload.

404 PAGE NOT FOUND

FUCK

You had me fooled for a second.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNiiQpDPJE

Nevermind, its legit. Thanks for making me aware of this.

Fuck that city is big.

doesn't look that different from witcher 2. unfortunately I didn't like the way that game controlled. felt like the gamepad was emulating a mouse and a keyboard, or something. menu navigation and ability usage was pretty unnecessarily complicated too. overall, I gave up trying to 'have fun' playing the game around a couple hours in. i'd say a good 1/3rd of that time was spent in cutscenes, loading screens and dialogue sessions....

not really my cup of coffee.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

DarkhoIlow:

404 PAGE NOT FOUND

FUCK

You had me fooled for a second.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNiiQpDPJE

Nevermind, its legit. Thanks for making me aware of this.

Fuck that city is big.

Here, enjoy:

This is what IGN was showing earlier. I am going to looooove wandering about Novigrad :)

EDIT: LOL you edited your thing just as I posted mine XD

DarkhoIlow:

Your link is broken, but I looked up the footage from the IGN homepage and...

Holy crap, that's pretty damned impressive. Running on PC there by the looks of it and the game looks gorgeous. Even more impressively that city they show is both huge and lively. People walking everywhere, merchants making deals, kids playing in the streets. It's both gorgeous and vibrant, something most games tend to lack when they try to emulate big cities.

No loading screens whatsoever either, not even when transitioning from the countryside to the city and into individual buildings. In fact everything was running perfectly smoothly, I didn't even see any draw distance effects.

That's really, really impressive. Riding on horseback also looked nice and smooth, reminiscent of Mount & Blade, although we've yet to have seen any mounted combat.

Yep, no denying it, Witcher 3 is looking pretty damned amazing.

I'm not really all that hype. TW2 was so busy being GRIMDARK that I hated everyone and stopped caring about the story at all (I think the exact point was the end of act 1 where the game goes "ok chose between the hypocritical, racist, murderer elf who was trying to have you killed an hour ago, or the violent, untrustworthy human who had you tortured in a dungeon a few days ago" and did't give me a "kill them both and find someone who isn't scum to travel with" option) and the combat here looks like more of the same weightless floatty mediocrity complete with spending more time buffing up and prepping for the fight than actually fighting. Still not totally turned off, but no way I'm preordering.

The Madman:

DarkhoIlow:

Your link is broken, but I looked up the footage from the IGN homepage and...

Holy crap, that's pretty damned impressive. Running on PC there by the looks of it and the game looks gorgeous. Even more impressively that city they show is both huge and lively. People walking everywhere, merchants making deals, kids playing in the streets. It's both gorgeous and vibrant, something most games tend to lack when they try to emulate big cities.

No loading screens whatsoever either, not even when transitioning from the countryside to the city and into individual buildings. In fact everything was running perfectly smoothly, I didn't even see any draw distance effects.

That's really, really impressive. Riding on horseback also looked nice and smooth, reminiscent of Mount & Blade, although we've yet to have seen any mounted combat.

Yep, no denying it, Witcher 3 is looking pretty damned amazing.

No it's running on Xbox one. It has been confirmed this guy on Witcher 3 official forums:

translation: "Was played on the Xbox. Please do not underestimate the power of my favorite console".

He didn't want to say PC to not show elitism, but we all know CDPR are PC centric developer and all of their games have PC as the lead platform.

major_chaos:
I'm not really all that hype. TW2 was so busy being GRIMDARK that I hated everyone and stopped caring about the story at all (I think the exact point was the end of act 1 where the game goes "ok chose between the hypocritical, racist, murderer elf who was trying to have you killed an hour ago, or the violent, untrustworthy human who had you tortured in a dungeon a few days ago" and did't give me a "kill them both and find someone who isn't scum to travel with" option) and the combat here looks like more of the same weightless floatty mediocrity complete with spending more time buffing up and prepping for the fight than actually fighting. Still not totally turned off, but no way I'm preordering.

I get your gripe with the combat but your description of Roche and Iorveth is a bit shallow.

The hypocritical, racist murderer elf is a guy who spent his entire life watching his race being treated like shit, plus he has his reasons for acting the way he does beyond that, which you find out later on. No, the entire character actually isn't laid out to you the moment you meet him, if you can believe that.

Very minor spoilers about Roche here; Roche had you tortured, then set you free and helped you escape. I fail to see how he's the bad guy here. Beyond that he's the most trustworthy character in the entire game because he is unquestionably loyal - not to you, but to his country.

While The Witcher 2 is a pretty grimdark game, it rarely tries to hard. People claiming the contrary puzzle me. Take a look at the world it plays in. Kings dying like flies, racism and poverty rampant, a devastating northern invasion on the horizon and you're in the middle playing someone with a few friends and considerably more enemies - where do you get the idea you're likely to meet much more than a terrorist, a torturer and a host of shady characters?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

major_chaos:

I get your gripe with the combat but your description of Roche and Iorveth is a bit shallow.

The hypocritical, racist murderer elf is a guy who spent his entire life watching his race being treated like shit, plus he has his reasons for acting the way he does beyond that, which you find out later on. No, the entire character actually isn't laid out to you the moment you meet him, if you can believe that.

Very minor spoilers about Roche here; Roche had you tortured, then set you free and helped you escape. I fail to see how he's the bad guy here. Beyond that he's the most trustworthy character in the entire game because he is unquestionably loyal - not to you, but to his country.

While The Witcher 2 is a pretty grimdark game, it rarely tries to hard. People claiming the contrary puzzle me. Take a look at the world it plays in. Kings dying like flies, racism and poverty rampant, a devastating northern invasion on the horizon and you're in the middle playing someone with a few friends and considerably more enemies - where do you get the idea you're likely to meet much more than a terrorist, a torturer and a host of shady characters?

I couldn't have put it better myself.

It really baffles me really how some people can like the other Action RPG's that are way worse than this game and yet I see multiple people that haven't enjoyed the combat in Witcher 2. Even the one in Witcher 1 was very interesting and something I haven't seen in any other game.

It's maybe because americans are used to Western RPG/JRPG and are not accustomed to RPG's made from Europe or? (I don't want to say it in a harsh way). I haven't seen a mature game that really had mature themes like Witcher universe had (please don't say Dragon Age because that game was simply too clishee, even though it was pretty good; Origins that is).

Only the choice & consequence system that they had I really enjoyed and haven't seen in a very long time.

Hmm. Hopefully being open-world will make it far more enjoyable than Witcher 2. I think wandering around and doing stuff on your own accord would be pretty bad ass, but I can't help but recount the sheer boredom I had when playing the second game. Which is a real shame :(

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

The hypocritical, racist murderer elf is a guy who spent his entire life watching his race being treated like shit,

And that's kinda why I felt he was a bit of a hypocrite. I could understand him and his followers being reclusive and responding to violence with violence, but they seemed to have a blanket "kill any human who enters the forest" policy, which struck me both "becoming what you hate" and detrimental to his supposed ideal of a peaceful world. But I never finished act 2 so I will admit that maybe it makes more sense later.

not to you, but to his country.

And that is exactly why I don't trust him. It seemed to me that the second he felt your continued existence wasn't best for his country he would stab you in the back without remorse.

Take a look at the world it plays in. Kings dying like flies, racism and poverty rampant, a devastating northern invasion on the horizon

You kinda answered your own question. Witcher 2 felt so grimdark to me because of the world. I can't get invested in a world where everything is shit and everyone is an asshole. Its the Dark Souls problem: I don't feel like I'm winning, I feel like I'm surviving, and in a world like this that's a cruel mercy.
All that said I'm not going to pretend this is an objective complaint and not just my preference. A story doesn't have to be sunshine and rainbows with a perfect happy ending for me to enjoy it, but if you keep hammering in that the world I'm in is an awful place, don't expect me to care.

5:35:00 livestream Day 1

New Witcher 3 footage (Johnny footage)

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/samsung-stage-1-2014/

It's very little..like 3mins of footage shown.

Update: you can jump now in the game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked