Should You Join the Goblins or Save the Grove in Baldur’s Gate 3 (BG3)

In typical RPG fashion, here are the pros and cons of whether you join the Goblins or save the Grove in Baldur's Gate 3 (BG3).

Baldur’s Gate 3 features more choices than you can shake a brain-worm at. One of those decisions revolves around the Emerald Grove and its environs. You have the choice to save its inhabitants, who are using it as a refuge, or have them annihilated. If you’re wondering should you join the Goblins or save the Grove in Baldur’s Gate 3 (BG3), here’s the answer.

Recommended Videos

Here’s Whether You Should Defend or Attack the Emerald Grove in BG3

Like many of the choices in BG3, this decision is entirely down to you. The “good” choice is to defend the grove so if you’re being a goody two-shoes, that’s the option to go for. You’ll also gain access to (and keep) two companions, Wyll and Halsin. There are also positive consequences for Karlach’s story, a little later down the line and, potentially, other benefits we’ve yet to encounter.

However, the easier option is to side with drow badass Minthara. It also makes for a more awesome fight. You get to betray the druids, let the enemy into the camp and watch spiders tear your former allies apart.

Yes, there’s clearly a “right” thing to do. But when one side has giant spiders, ogres, and goblins with explosives strapped to them, I know which team I’m on. You can also romance Mithara, something that will definitely not end badly. And, while it’s not as easy as Shadowheart and Astarion just signing up with you, you can later get her as a companion. If you slaughter her to keep the grove safe, that’s not going to happen.

A reload or two later, my canon choice was to attack the Emerald Grove and I haven’t regretted it so far. Ultimately, if it’s more companions you’re after and the gratitude of a group of druids and tieflings, you should save the grove. But if you want to fight along giant spiders and have an easier time of the battle, you should join the goblins.

So on the subject of whether to join the goblins or save the grove in BG3, that’s what you need to know.

For more on BG3check out our guides on how to respec your party members, as well as fixing any save bugs that might pop up. And if you’re just starting out, watch Destructoid’s excellent beginner’s guide to Baldur’s Gate 3.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Do Sticker Stars Roll Over To New Album Challenges in Monopoly GO
Sticker Stars Monopoly GO
Read Article Rugby 24 Has Been Delayed for a Bizarre Reason
Two poster-style figures throwing a rugby ball in Rugby 24.
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Raikou Research Event: Dates, Missions, and How to Get Raikou
Banner for the Raikou Research Event in Pokemon Sleep
Related Content
Read Article Do Sticker Stars Roll Over To New Album Challenges in Monopoly GO
Sticker Stars Monopoly GO
Read Article Rugby 24 Has Been Delayed for a Bizarre Reason
Two poster-style figures throwing a rugby ball in Rugby 24.
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Raikou Research Event: Dates, Missions, and How to Get Raikou
Banner for the Raikou Research Event in Pokemon Sleep
Author
Chris McMullen
Freelance contributor at The Escapist. I've returned to writing about games after a couple of career changes, with my recent stint lasting five-plus years. I hope, through my writing work, to settle the karmic debt I incurred by persuading my parents to buy a Mega CD. Aside from writing for The Escapist, I also cover news and more for GameSpew. I've also been published at other sites including VG247, Space, and more. My tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though I'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based.