Sonic Boom Gameplay is...man this hurts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Watch the pain here:

...man, as a sonic fan, this hurts. This really hurts. The only good news is that this isn't being made by the Sonic Team but by BigRedButton so this probably won't stick. But seriously, can someone shut up the characters? You don't need to be talking every 5 seconds!

Well, you know my opinion, what are you guy's thoughts on the matter?

Honestly I don't mind the Wii U gameplay, 3DS I find to be really disappointing though. However, I will withhold all judgement until I fully play it myself in all honesty, as I've been deceived in the past when gameplay seemed boring but once I play it I enjoyed it.

Also, if you hate the characters talking like every 5 seconds you must have hated Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog then, because in those games no one shuts up at all. >.>

Neronium:
Honestly I don't mind the Wii U gameplay, 3DS I find to be really disappointing though. However, I will withhold all judgement until I fully play it myself in all honesty, as I've been deceived in the past when gameplay seemed boring but once I play it I enjoyed it.

Also, if you hate the characters talking like every 5 seconds you must have hated Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog then, because in those games no one shuts up at all. >.>

It's not so much the talking itself as the quips. While I know that those games had quips as well, they were mostly shorter or were grunts (though the Team Chaotix team attack is up with this game on annoyance factor). The only time I liked the dialogue is when Sonic and Eggman are fighting in that boss battle. Any other place was annoying at best. I actually didn't mind the dialogue in Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic Heroes (though that may be because I only played those games on a TV that had no sound as a child and because it was so bad it became funny).

i honestly find these voices less grating

and let me be clear, this is a sonic parody, these voices are SUPPOSED to be grating

anyways, same boring ass sonic combat, the levels look just as boring and bad designed as they have always been, how many times are they going to do the "ohh look at this thing thats following you while we completely obscure the road ahead", i remember back when crash bandicoot did it, like 15 years ago, and back then it was much better made, they gave you a better view of what was ahead and of course the whole thing was slower so you could react fast enough, also you could punch the polar bear once it got stuck in the tunnel, that was nice

man, 3D platformers arent what they used to be are they? hopefully a hat in time is good, atleast it LOOKS good

Jesus, please tell me this is early prototype or something because those animations are straight up broken.
I guess Colours and Generations were the extent of the Sonic Comeback. Shame.

I haven't played a Sonic game since the Sonic adventure re-release on Xbox 360. I haven't played a new Sonic game since Shadow the hedgehog. I watched that and I cringed.

It looks terrible, Sonics sections look like they were ripp from an IOS mobile infinite runner with minimal button presses. The combat (which as almost always been objected to in Sonic games) looks like it's trying to go all God of War and even in that footage it looked like it would be repetitive and tedious. those stupid tether lines make no sense really.

What I'm seeing doesn't look like a next gen Sonic title it doesn't even really look as good to play as the Dreamcast Era games.

Oh and the boss battles. All three having the same gimmicky fight mechanic really ? Are you serious ?

The_Kodu:
I haven't played a Sonic game since the Sonic adventure re-release on Xbox 360. I haven't played a new Sonic game since Shadow the hedgehog. I watched that and I cringed.

It looks terrible, Sonics sections look like they were ripp from an IOS mobile infinite runner with minimal button presses. The combat (which as almost always been objected to in Sonic games) looks like it's trying to go all God of War and even in that footage it looked like it would be repetitive and tedious. those stupid tether lines make no sense really.

What I'm seeing doesn't look like a next gen Sonic title it doesn't even really look as good to play as the Dreamcast Era games.

Oh and the boss battles. All three having the same gimmicky fight mechanic really ? Are you serious ?

but sonic has MORE NEW FRIENDS! that should count as innovation or entertaining gameplay right?

That voice isn't working for me, but the game itself looks pretty fun.

Reminds me of marvel ultimate alliance games during combat, and reminds me of ratchet and clank during the platforming
Also it seems to have the same character switching gimmick as gta5.
Shame, I actually enjoyed sonic generations, the sonic lost worlds ds demo wasnt to bad either.

The fuck is with that twitchy camera? I'm getting Sonic '06 flashbacks just watching this. I really wish the Sonic games had some decent gameplay designers. You could seriously do so much more than this crappy rails-and-loops shit with the poor guy. The combat looks alright, but it needs some more depth.

I know this is harsh criticism, especially for early footage, but Sonic at this point really needs something special. Shake up the formula fellas, because this one just isn't working unfortunately.

It's a Sonic game...it's SUPPOSED to be terrible in every conceivable way.

Well yeah it looks bad, but I can't really tell the difference between this and every other 3D Sonic game I've played (although to be fair I've only played a few).

The 3DS version looks interesting. Mostly 2D but instead of the standard linear Sonic levels they're going for a slightly more open, exploration focused style. Could be worth a look, although I won't be rushing out to buy it day one.

The newer sonics look almost exactly like Sonic Adventure 1-2, though I haven't played sonic since SA 2, I really don't get the hate other than the crap story from sonic 06. They all look exactly the same and probably play the same as SA 1-2.

I don't think it looks all that bad.

Characters really need to shut the fuck up though.

The first thing I noticed was the camera from hell. Then Sonic commented on something. "Okay whatvever." Then he commented on something else. "That was a fast follow up comment..." Then another one. "He's not going to say something every 5 seconds is he?" And again. "He is... Okay, time to stop watching."

Also, how is it THAT ugly? It's on the WiiU right? Surely they could muster something better than that out of this thing.

I don't mind the voices or gameplay, I will say that the lack of music right now is a little off-putting. And the world design doesn't exactly look straightforward in some areas. Can't help but feel exploring around a large 3D area feels slightly out of place for Sonic (I never did like the hub world in SA). Aah well, I'll play it and see...

I stopped watching before the 1 minute mark. Those quips are annoying as hell, and they sound like they've been added over the video. I really hope that's the case.

The more I see of this game, the less I want it.

Shame really. Generations was actually pretty good.

NuclearKangaroo:
i honestly find these voices less grating

and let me be clear, this is a sonic parody, these voices are SUPPOSED to be grating

God those videos are hilarious.

someone needs to take a crowbar to Sonic and his friends in the new game.. stuff socks in their mouths.. just shut them up.. lets be honest.... is anyone really expecting a good sonic game these days? it's been like 20 years since the last good sonic game came out.. between the horrible, annoying voices, the bad characters designs and lack luster gameplay, sonic boom will probably be as bad as sonic 2006 was

Almost had me with the roller-coaster bit at the beginning (minus the horrible voices), but then the beat-em-up was shown... and I just about fell asleep.

Seriously, these guys don't know how to make a Sonic game.

I really don't get the appeal of sonic, I didn't get it with the original games, I don't get it with the new ones. I did enjoy sonic battle 2 but I can't call it a good game.

Worgen:
I really don't get the appeal of sonic, I didn't get it with the original games, I don't get it with the new ones. I did enjoy sonic battle 2 but I can't call it a good game.

Oh Sonic 2 and 3 were classics. You don't know speed until you're playing so fast your character is two screens ahead of what's being displayed.

Let's Play Sonic Boom (with Sonic and Friends Commentary) Part X: Throw Shit To Kill

OT: Some of those quips, yo... They made me laugh in a "I can't believe you just said that" way... *facepalms*

Other than that, they showed everyone except Tails in P1 combat/gameplay... Am I missing something here?

The platforming sections actually looked fun. They seemed to be on the same level as Sonic Adventure through Sonic Heroes, and I consider those to be the only really good 3D Sonic games, at least of the ones I've played (haven't had the chance to play Lost World yet). Adding the 2D sections, which is the one good thing I can say was added to the newer 3D Sonic games, was certainly a plus.

Also, for some reason, I didn't find the voices as grating as I expected, and I normally hate Sonic. It actually showed some signs of self-awareness, and the personalities helped the "let's have fun" tone that really benefits Sonic when it is coming through. I've never really liked it when the stories take themselves too seriously in Sonic games, and it looks like this may actually avoid that pitfall.

Unfortunately, amidst all the good of that trailer, I cannot get over that combat. It looks incredibly boring, and given how much is shown in the trailer, I'm expecting way too much of it. I would have thought they'd learned from Unleashed that players don't want slow, repetitive combat sections; and I can't believe that anyone missed that, even if they aren't Sonic Team. And to make matters worse, it looks like the bosses are just going to be the same thing over and over again and based on that boring combat.

Overall, I want to be interested given how good the platforming and characters look to be this time around. However, I really, really can't get too excited after seeing that combat system for so long.

Loop Stricken:

Worgen:

Oh Sonic 2 and 3 were classics. You don't know speed until you're playing so fast your character is two screens ahead of what's being displayed.

I played the road runner game on the snes, that game was damn fast when it wanted to be. I don't really get the point of the fast gameplay though, if its fast enough then you aren't really reacting to the game, you're just memorizing the jumps

Wow. 1 step forwards and two steps back for the Sonic franchise then. Seems we're back to 3D Sonic games that don't really know what they want to be. People don't play Sonic games for the brawler walk-about sections - when are they going to get this point? There are MUCH better games out there for that sort of thing - it doesn't fit Sonic's style and it sure as hell has never made a good Sonic game.

Generations, Colours and Sonic 4 part 2 all had something essentially Sonic with a couple of new features each time (S4 part 1's physics were a bit broken even if the gameplay was right. S4 part 2 fixed most of that, I felt). All three were massively entertaining and left me wanting more. This feels like a return to Heroes or Unleashed era nonsense and will lead to another wave of crappy kid-focussed Sonic games in a poor attempt to tie in with the show.

If you want to do a 3D Sonic learn the lesson of Generations and do it right. This? Wrong move in my opinion. Even Lost World looked better (and certainly more innovative) than this.

Er....just watched that parody Vid "Get to Da CHOPPAA!!!" "Yu're goin' tae be fine, Don-keh" etc etc

Certainly proved your point. They are way less irritating. Maybe that's what sonic boom needs, more headcrabs. Or maybe that's what the designers had - GASP! Headcrabs on the Devs!! Oh noez111!!!1111!

Sonic not sounding remotely like how I picture him aside, I don't see the problem.

Well, okay, some of the dialogue is awful. But I have trouble caring about that in a Sonic game.

Not a sonic fan. never a sonic fan.

This looks exactly like he's been all these years. Smart ass, bad quips, same '3d' tracks since that first 3d sonic.... I mean, they could have gotten Jaleel White to voice it and it would have been the same as the cartoons.

I am sorry that he seems to be ruined in the eyes of you fans, though.

What's with all the stupid grapple-tethers?

Goddess I hope this is just a very early build because it looks and sounds like shit, Sonic Heroes on the Gamecube looked better then this. The level design looks severely bare bones and uninteresting, The gameplay looks repetitive and boring, and the voice acting is just annoying.

I'm not a sonic fan, but man do I feel for them right about now...

Looks kinda like the old sonic games.

That video reminds me of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures... ... ...
Not good.

I don't get it, why can't we have a Sonic game where your only objective is to roll around at the speed of sound?

It looks like it's gonna be more or less like Sonic Unleashed where the fighting is shit, but the brief running bits are actually pretty fun.

I know next to nothing about Sonic, but that voice doesn't seem to go with him to me.

You know what, it looks like a better attempt at a Sonic game than most. Bit of high-speed platforming, bit of combat, some quips here and there... yeah the animations are crap, the quips are far too frequent, and I'm not a fan of Knuckles being reduced to a American football player in terms of voiceovers, but there looks to be a solid foundation here, even if the house turns out to be a bit ugly.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked