Who was your favorite romance partner so far?
Alistair
13.7% (31)
13.7% (31)
Morrigan
27% (61)
27% (61)
Zevran
6.6% (15)
6.6% (15)
Leliana
21.7% (49)
21.7% (49)
Fenris
4% (9)
4% (9)
Merrill
17.3% (39)
17.3% (39)
Anders
2.2% (5)
2.2% (5)
Isabella
6.6% (15)
6.6% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Dragon Age Origins and 2- Best Romance?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So during my Mage playthrough I romanced Morrigan by accident- mostly because my prior playthroughs had virtually everyone else as my partner.

But when I recruited Zevran, I wound up romancing him as well, which got me thinking. I was only thinking of romancing Morrigan because I'd never seen the content with her if you romance her in Witch Hunt... but then I saw it on Youtube and it was pretty much every dialogue choice I'd make (Although I also heard that she's nicer to the Inquisitor if she has high respect and is romanced), so now that I'm gonna be with Zevran, by partial accident, I wanted to ask who was your favorite romance in Origins and 2.

Also, because I stopped using these forums a while back and I'd like to get back into the community.

Morrigan, with Merill bringing in a very far second.

Morrigan only wins because of her final scene in Witch Hunt. I'm a massive sucker for stuff like that. Merill is next because... she's kinda the only decent romance in Dragon Age 2. Isabella bored me and I didn't want to make my Hawk gay. She won by default.

I too was a playboy in my first playthroughs. In Origins, I think I had sex with Morrigan, Zevran, and Leliana. In Dragon Age 2, Isabella and Merrill. I think I just clicked options that made my team like me... I guess that made them like me a lot.

Merrill.

I'm just a sucker for cute fish-out-of-water type of characters who mess with mad science/dark forces they do not understand.

Also, you know, lesbian romance.

...None of them really. They were all really, really bad. But if you are asking which romance can actually be seen at the bottom of the barrel... None, I'm sorry. I tried to come up with one, but they all are creepy, pointless and/or token.

Fenris.

Firstly because he's a white-haired elven hottie with a voice like smoke.
Secondly, I liked his story, and I thought the romance with Hawke developed more naturally than if you are to romance Anders, who was my only other option for dudes. Anders gets too attatched to you after you kiss like once, in my opinion.
I liked Fenris as a character. I know a lot of people didn't, but I felt like the character was designed well to appeal to the people who might want to romance him.

I would have voted Alistair, but I'm still kind of irritated that there is no real happy ending for a female Warden romancing him. (Or maybe there is but I couldn't find it).

Phasmal:
Fenris.

Secondly, I liked his story, and I thought the romance with Hawke developed more naturally than if you are to romance Anders, who was my only other option for dudes. Anders gets too attatched to you after you kiss like once, in my opinion.
I liked Fenris as a character. I know a lot of people didn't, but I felt like the character was designed well to appeal to the people who might want to romance him.

I would have voted Alistair, but I'm still kind of irritated that there is no real happy ending for a female Warden romancing him. (Or maybe there is but I couldn't find it).

I'd say Alistair's happy endings were either:

Personally, I was more partial to option 1.

Totally agree on Fenris. His voice actor, Gideon Emery, was AMAZING. *sighs dreamily*

Morrigan. I love her character and Claudia Black is awesome. Too bad she wasn't available for my female warden during my first playthrough who ended up forever alone :(

The romances in DA2 seriously annoyed me. All characters have some kind of deal-breaking super flaw.
Isabela is a walking STD whose selfishness started a war.
Anders is a terrorist who killed innocents/freedom fighter who DOESN'T TELL YOU when all you want is to help his cause.
Fenris wants all mages dead (including you/your sister)
and Merrill gets warned repeatedly about the dangers of demons and still never learns.

!!!rage!!! (because I care about these games and characters)

Why isn't Anders and Isabela in the poll?

Twyce:

I'd say Alistair's happy endings were either:

Personally, I was more partial to option 1.

Totally agree on Fenris. His voice actor, Gideon Emery, was AMAZING. *sighs dreamily*

Yeah but I'm pretty sure you still have to...

And yes with the voice actor. He does a few voices elsewhere, and everytime he pops up I'm like `Fenris what are you doing here`.

He does voices for Skyrim, Wildstar and Diablo 3 as far as I know.

Morrigan, because I just love Claudia Black and what personality she gave the character. On my female warden I went with Lelliana for obvious reasons.

DA2..the romances were quite meh, but since I am quite a predictable person I ended up with Isabela because Merrill was way too awkward of a character to choose her.

Phasmal:
Sniiiip

I TOTALLY forgot about the Dark Ritual requirement. Yeah I hated that too.

This comic always kinda helped ease the 'ugh' factor on it. It wasn't illustrated by Bioware, but David Gaider helped write it. I guess according to the blog along with it, this was some scene that didn't make it into the final game. Course... If you weren't friends with Morrigan it might not apply as much.

Yeah Gideon is all over the place! It's funny I almost didn't recognize him Fire Emblem: Awakening. But I think that's because his voice clips are so short (plus he doesn't have his accent).

The High Dragon being worshipped by the cult in New Haven None of the romances in the first game really clicked with me personally, unlike a certain gas-masked xenos in another Bioware property. But when I did my decadent Dwarven nobleman playthrough and shagged everything I could, I had to larf about how bitchy Morrigan the ultra-bitch melted into an airy giggling schoolgirl.

Oh, I also liked the Dark Ritual business with Morrigan because it fit in so well with my Human noble playthrough: by the end of the game, he was an ambitious, fanatical and ruthless Templar, so I figured he'd leap at any chance to stay alive and then tie up the loose ends afterwards (hell, I was planning on murdering Morrigan in the DLC to keep my heretical secret safe).

Twyce:

This comic always kinda helped ease the 'ugh' factor on it. It wasn't illustrated by Bioware, but David Gaider helped write it. I guess according to the blog along with it, this was some scene that didn't make it into the final game. Course... If you weren't friends with Morrigan it might not apply as much.

Oooo, I like that comic. I wish that had been in the actual game. It would have added a new level of depth to Morrigan's character.

For me it's a toss up between Merrill and Leliana. They're both basically the same--cute, kind, nerdy shy girl, and I am a sucker for that. Morrigan is too cold and stand-offish for my tastes, even after you do romance her, and Zevran was...no. Alistair was fun, but it felt a little weird because it felt like I was romancing myself. He acts the same way I do when flirting with a girl: a complete and utter goof ball. And as for all the characters in Dragon Age II, I only ever picked Merrill because none of the others interested me. Isabella is too much of a flirt and I wouldn't trust someone like her in real life, Fenris and Anders have too many anger issues--you know pillow talk would be nothing but, "Grr I hate Mages/Templars!" and the archer prince is too uptight.

So, forced to choose, I think I would pick Merrill. She's got the higher cute factor, and unlike Leliana, she ends up completely alone, with only you left in her life. Plus, with Leliana being who she is and with her role now, you know she would eventually start to close herself off from you and keep secrets because it's her job.

Sniper Team 4:

Twyce:

Oooo, I like that comic. I wish that had been in the actual game. It would have added a new level of depth to Morrigan's character.

For me it's a toss up between Merrill and Leliana. They're both basically the same--cute, kind, nerdy shy girl, and I am a sucker for that. Morrigan is too cold and stand-offish for my tastes, even after you do romance her, and Zevran was...no. Alistair was fun, but it felt a little weird because it felt like I was romancing myself. He acts the same way I do when flirting with a girl: a complete and utter goof ball. And as for all the characters in Dragon Age II, I only ever picked Merrill because none of the others interested me. Isabella is too much of a flirt and I wouldn't trust someone like her in real life, Fenris and Anders have too many anger issues--you know pillow talk would be nothing but, "Grr I hate Mages/Templars!" and the archer prince is too uptight.

So, forced to choose, I think I would pick Merrill. She's got the higher cute factor, and unlike Leliana, she ends up completely alone, with only you left in her life. Plus, with Leliana being who she is and with her role now, you know she would eventually start to close herself off from you and keep secrets because it's her job.

Yeah, I was also torn between Merrill and Leliana. Leliana had had the accent and interesting back story, while Merrill had the headless plunge into danger. In the end, I voted for Merrill as well. I will have to look up the comic.

Gamer87:

The romances in DA2 seriously annoyed me. All characters have some kind of deal-breaking super flaw.
Anders is a terrorist who killed innocents/freedom fighter who DOESN'T TELL YOU when all you want is to help his cause.
and Merrill gets warned repeatedly about the dangers of demons and still never learns.

To be fair, Fenris is not that black and white. While he is indeed antagonistic towards mages (for good reason), he doesn't want all mages to die and in fact he is perfectly romanceable as a mage Hawke. In fact I would say that he might be the best hetero love interest for a female PC in both DA games (though I might be biased since I found Alistair somewhat bland).

As for Merill, that is just patently not true. She does get burned by demons repeatedly, and at the end of her personal quest she gives up on the whole mirror business because of it. Sure, she is a blood mage, but so can your character be without any adverse effects, so it doesn't immediately mean that she is an idiot for using it. Also, I would say that she has the best hetero male / lesbian female romance in DA2.

At the end of the day though, I would say all romances in the Dragon Age games are just okay. Nothing to write home about, but not nearly as cringe-worthy as some romance subplots I have seen in my time.

GabeZhul:

Gamer87:

Snip

To be fair, Fenris is not that black and white. While he is indeed antagonistic towards mages (for good reason), he doesn't want all mages to die and in fact he is perfectly romanceable as a mage Hawke. In fact I would say that he might be the best hetero love interest for a female PC in both DA games (though I might be biased since I found Alistair somewhat bland).

As for Merill, that is just patently not true. She does get burned by demons repeatedly, and at the end of her personal quest she gives up on the whole mirror business because of it. Sure, she is a blood mage, but so can your character be without any adverse effects, so it doesn't immediately mean that she is an idiot for using it. Also, I would say that she has the best hetero male / lesbian female romance in DA2.

At the end of the day though, I would say all romances in the Dragon Age games are just okay. Nothing to write home about, but not nearly as cringe-worthy as some romance subplots I have seen in my time.

I love Merrill, and she does eventually give up the mirror, but not before getting her friend and mentor/and her entire clan killed because of her naivity. Blood magic is absolutely fine by me if you can control it and at first I thought she was in control and that that was really cool. But she just keeps making mistakes showing she's in over her head. And her mistakes cost lives.

And don't even get me started on the Feynriel dream thing where she turns on you. Merrill is adorable, but she betrays Hawke and keeps making the same stupid mistakes.

As for Fenris I can't really imagine a Hawke that wouldn't be too offended about his entire attitude towards mages to romance him. I mean, however you feel about magic, your sister and father were mages and Hawke (in my canon) loved their father and is very protective of Bethany.

Honestly I'm going to have to go with Zevran, which I find kinda weird for me since I'm usually opposed to the whole "Go for the bad boy." thing. (Which Zevran basically is the 'bad boy' to Alistair's 'boy next door'.)

But I dunno something about his whole character is very enjoyable to me and his romance is also pretty interesting as well. But other than that I can't really say what it is that makes me enjoy him as my favorite love interest. Maybe it's the roleplaying aspect(as I admit I have a set personality with my warden and like to imagine how she interacts with the others)and the fact that my mage warden has a similar backstory to him.

That or I am weaker for rogues with accents than I think. Cause my mage warden is also best friends with Leliana. =P

Mm, going to have to go with Leliana. Dat accent. She has sex with my ear every time she talks, just like the female agent in SWTOR.

She does annoy me somewhat, but it's like listening to the female version of Morgan Freeman. You can look past it.

I'm voting for Isabella. She's the only female romance option who Hawke/the Warden could really consider her equal and is not downright evil. Leliana and Merrill are just girls - Isabella is a woman.

I feel like you were supposed to canonically romance Morigan in Origins because of the Witch Hunt DLC and the whole Dark Ritual thing you do with her.

I've got to say my favorite is Alistair.
it felt more natural than any of the others because he was in the party for a reason, and he was just a friendly guy (I'm not gay)

Most of the other romances had baggage that could have made them the most appealing romantic option (Fenris, your tortured past is so sexy... not gay)

So did Alistair but he did a lot to down play it, he wanted to show you the real him instead of looking like he was defined by his shortcomings

I like to see romances that matter to the plot, so I think Morrigan has to win for DAO while Alistair would have to be second for the game due to the the marriage with the human noble femWarden - I didn't particularly like his part (but then I don't think I was the target market for it), but it mattered, so it is what it is. None of the DA2 romances change the plot of course, but Isabela and Anders' do change the flavour of the conflicts that they're involved in, so I'd rank them about equally and probably just below Morrigan overall.

I thought the others were reasonably well done, they just didn't matter the way the others did (the fact that you could get through the games without Leliana, Zevran and Fenris really makes that point). I liked Merrill's once it was started, but the fact that she seems so young in the lead-up always made that one a little off for me.

Phasmal:
Fenris.

Agreed on the Fenris option, he's the only one my female Hawke was interested in (well there was Varric but he wasn't an option)

To get with Alistair, you need to be a human noble and in the speech options at the landsmeet say
"Alistair should rule with me at his side" After the Landsmeet he'll come upto you and as if that was a proposal.

During the end epilogue it explains that they are married six moths after Alistair's coronation, then again I have a mod so you get to see the wedding, swoon!

Leliana, by far. She had a sweet, sensible personality, a sexy accent, and a genuinely interesting backstory. Oh, and she goes both ways. My good characters usually end up with her, regardless of gender.

Morrigan is a close second, though.

Merrill, with Morrigan and Sebastian as close seconds.

I was in total agreement with her about the Mirror.

Varric

While technically not a romance, the bromance you can have with him is one of the highlights of the series.

Barring that, Aveline

Again, technically not a romance, but of the girls in DA2, she was the one I wanted to romance the most, mainly because she actually felt like an actual person instead of a snarky pair of tits (Isabella) or a neurotic mess (Merril).

As for DA1, I'd have to say Wynne, and again, for feeling like an actual human being and a person I'd like to know in real life.

Funny how characters NOT written with boning plot hooks tend to turn out better, huh?

Morrigan, simply because of the way the romance affects her character arc and because - to me, at least - it makes Witch Hunt just feel so much more organic (and not just because it turns the ring she gives the warden into a plot item). I love the fact that her feelings towards the warden start making her second guess her plans and outlook, and those little moments of hesitation you can trigger in dialogues with her, wherein she seems genuinely wounded by the warden's trust, friendship and love and her knowledge of what is yet to come. Admittedly, male or female, romance or friendship, much of this is available so long as you get her affection high enough, but it seems far more poignant when she - the cynical witch of the wilds who in no uncertain terms called love 'a weakness' - ultimately yields the idealistic battle and acknowledges her own feelings by addressing the warden as 'my love'.

Well I'm currently playing DA2 and have just got to the second arc and so far...no one. No I lie, that elf from one of the quests. That exchange was hilarious "go and play little sister". Although just sleeping with a prostitute doesn't really count.
I don't know, both the guys are mopy tortured types. Fenris so far ins't exactly endearing himself to my Hawke what with the whole misleading her on the nature of a job so her and hers walk into a tevinter trap and then insulting her sister. At least he apologises for that I guess but he still keeps insulting her sister and father with the anti mage stuff. Anders flirts with you on the second conversation if you picked diplomatic which is...yeah no, I don't know you and I'm not fond of his "I love you but I'll hurt you" thing. Merril is a bit thick and I don't get anything from Isabella. If only Varric or Aveline where an option. Actually no, I prefer them as bros. Might pick Merril if only because it would be funny because my Hawke is "direct" person or none but I don't like missing content.

From DA:O Alister makes for a better tie in with the story and he's sweet but he gets annoying. Zev I hated at the start but he grew on me and it's interesting that for once its not sex scene = love. Leliana I don't like and I've never done the Morrigan one so I guess I'll go with Alister. If I repay I'll do the Morrigan one because of Witch Hunt.

I don't think romances often work well in rpgs (or game in general but especially rpgs) when it has to be written around a X of character.

Gamer87:
Morrigan. I love her character and Claudia Black is awesome. Too bad she wasn't available for my female warden during my first playthrough who ended up forever alone :(

They... are on the list. They're just at the bottom because they were the last two I thought of when I compiled the list.

Never played Origins (and didn't finish 2 because of how frustrating the combat got), but I liked Merrill. Isabella is pretty great, but not for a real love interest, I could see her as more of a fling. Which probably also explains why my one headcanon Mass Effect pairing is M!Shep/Tali, since they're more or less the same character.

Also, I don't understand how anyone could pick Anders. Every time that guy opened his mouth, I was wishing for a button to punch him in the head.

Obviously the best romance is with Ser Gilmore! Y'all don't know what you're missing.

But in canon it would have to be Alistair or Zervan, both were great characters. The Dragon Age 2 characters annoyed me too much to both with either Anders or Fenris, but I would totally Varric because he's great.
Here's to hoping Cullen will be good in DA:I

Romanced Morrigan and pardoned Loghain as a dwarf noble in the first. The second one I didn't care for any romance at all so took Isabella because she was easy to get along with.

For Dragon Age Origins, it would have to be Morrigan and/or Alistair. Sort of breaking through Morrigan's walls to a point and having her come to realize her feelings is really nice, and I think Alistair works really well depending on your background in that game. For me, I boned Zevran then ditched him, tried to romance Leliana but failed, so I was left for Morrigan. Despite not really being my first choice, I was pleasantly surprised. Witch Hunt could have been better, but I felt it was tailored made to be for those who romanced her.

As for DA2, anyone not named Anders. Seriously, after what he does in that game? Screw him. Merrill isn't any better, since her whole arc involves not listening to you at all if you try to be good. Even when you try and tell her not to do the demon stuff, it only leads her into a rivalry (almost automatically at one point I believe). Besides, I always saw her as a horribly done Tali (from Mass Effect), which didn't help matters. Isabella is what the game pushes you towards I guess, but she never really...pays for her actions? She's responsible for so much, and she isn't really a super bad person, but she left me and never came back, so the hell with her (a case of Friendship just being RIGHT under the requirement). Even if she comes back and you want her to pay for what's she's done, she apparently sees this as a betrayal. No, its called consequences Isabella.

Don't really know how Nathaniel's romance works out, although I know it doesn't lead to anything physical, just romantic.

I romanced Fenris, which I couldn't finish because my friendship with him was just shy of reaching that point (and getting him to such a high level as a pro mage Hawke felt like hard work too). But I always liked the fact of him falling for Mage Hawke, and sort of learning from the experience to be a better person. Course...that doesn't really happen sadly (To him you are one of the few exceptions, and that's it), but the potential always felt nice.

Actually, I think all the DA2 romances had great potential to affect future casual conversations with them in the story, even if you aren't in one of those "romantic conversations" that you get into. Could really see the story evolving and going in different directions/changing certain outcomes. But like many things DA2 related, it wasn't meant to be. Given the option, I honestly probably would have gone for Aveline or Varric since they were the best characters in that game.

tl;dr: Morrigan and Alistair for Dragon Age Origin's. Nobody too particular in Dragon Age 2, but I was partial to Fenris.

Best romance? You mean Bromance, right?

Who needs love when you have that glorious chest hair backing you up?

Xathos:

Don't really know how Nathaniel's romance works out, although I know it doesn't lead to anything physical, just romantic.

Do you mean Sebastian?

OT: Alistair. Yup just a sheep following the herd. He's just... everything I would like in a guy. He's a bit of a doofus, but sweet, and you can depend on him, but he WILL back his ideals, he's not a doormat. I also liked Zevran, mostly because he made me laugh.

In DA2 my preference is Fenris. (:

Isabela and Leliana: Rogue Babes or Die. I love both of them and enjoyed their romances far and above all the others (if you aren't counting the little kiss you can get from Aveline at least. That made me giddy.) Of the two, I'd say I still prefer Isabela, as she is more in tune with my own personal beliefs, meshes well with Varric (who NEVER leaves my party) and I like DA2 more than DAO.

This thread is interesting because the poll results are exactly the opposite of what I was expecting. Soooo many people I talk to love Fenris and Zev with a passion and very rarely mention Leliana or Morrigan. Fascinating!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked