Good offline co-op games on the PS3?

This was originally about Dead Space 3's offline co-op campaign until I realized it doesn't have one. Rather than lock the thread though I'd rather use the opportunity to pursue the same bottom line: looking for a good offline co-op game on the PS3.

So far I've rounded up the usual suspects: Dragon's Crown (which is too expensive for me at the moment), Portal 2 and Little Big Planet (hesitant on both on account of length/replayability issues), Resident Evil 6 (because I though RE5's co-op was fun, so why not?) and you get where I'm going. Something fun you can play offline on shared or split screen. Any suggestions would be nice.

I enjoyed the co-op on PC with a friend. Does it definitely have couch co-op? If so, yeah, it's worth it although there are a few bits where the players see different things I can't see working on couch co-op.

It's good fun. Not scary, but enjoyably visceral and has a few good jumps here and there.

And honestly, while playing I forgot the micro-transactions were even there.

If it has split-screen co-op (I'm assuming that's what you mean by couch), then yes. I played the whole game with my friend on the PS3 and we had a blast. There are a few side missions that you can only do co op, and one of them has a pretty cool twist in it. Sadly, there is no option to play the game as Carver after you beat it, so once EA shuts down the Dead Space 3 servers, a good chunk of the game will be lost.

As for microtransactions, anyone who complained about them didn't play the game. You can happily play the entire thing without ever crossing paths with that stuff. It's not constantly in your face or anything like that that so many people claimed. It's a small little notice at the bottom of your screen when you're crafting weapons and you might not have enough parts, and it's very easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

Honestly, it was the logical step from 2. Think about it,
1: starts out slow, ends frantic
2: starts out frantic, ends with action
3: starts with action, ends with epic.

One thing many players don't take into account is how utterly desensitized we are due to our years of playing horror games and such. 3 is a great game, and the coop is certainly worth it due to the unique elements given to it and the story of John carver.

I don't know if there's split-screen co-op (I played it on PC), but the co-op was a lot of fun. We had a blast (no pun intended) crafting unique weapons and trying to see who could come up with the most ridiculously overpowered gun. I think I ended up winning, with my combo minigun/chain lightning cannon.

The only parts that sucked were the obligatory "flying through space trying to avoid insta-death debris" that the series seems to love so much. I did just fine at them, but my co-op partner got splattered over and over and over and over again. It got kinda tedious.

Also chiming in saying its a blast to play in coop.
Played it twice to see the full story from both characters sides to be honest. One of the more notable points is that the story has certain points where something will seem normal to you, and your friend or S.O will be sitting there gobsmacked at what just happened haha. This left me utterly confused various times.
Another added bonus are the weapon modifications you can do, so your friend and you will most likely end up with way different weapons. Sometimes yours will be more useful, other times your friends will.
All in all, great coop fun in my opinion.

To edit for your update----

Ever played LBP2? To be fully honest that game is hilarious with others.
Another good one (in my opinion) if you can get past the art style if it offends you..etc and whatnot, Dragons Crown is alot of fun in coop. I played that with a friend all the way to the end over the span of a few Saturdays, was good fun.

Lilikins:
Also chiming in saying its a blast to play in coop.
Played it twice to see the full story from both characters sides to be honest. One of the more notable points is that the story has certain points where something will seem normal to you, and your friend or S.O will be sitting there gobsmacked at what just happened haha. This left me utterly confused various times.
Another added bonus are the weapon modifications you can do, so your friend and you will most likely end up with way different weapons. Sometimes yours will be more useful, other times your friends will.
All in all, great coop fun in my opinion.

To edit for your update----

Ever played LBP2? To be fully honest that game is hilarious with others.
Another good one (in my opinion) if you can get past the art style if it offends you..etc and whatnot, Dragons Crown is alot of fun in coop. I played that with a friend all the way to the end over the span of a few Saturdays, was good fun.

Never played LBP2. Don't know if it's true but I hear it's not worth bothering with the first game since the second more or less recaps it entirely. It looks fun and cute but I wonder how much of a challenge it actually is, or how much mileage you can get out of it before replayability runs out. Looks a little repetitive, the kind of game that doesn't really take off into a full-fledged session.

I've been a big fan of Vanillaware Ltd. since Odin's Sphere and Grim Grimoire, and I would love to get Dragon's Crown. It's been my number one co-op pick for a while. I really, really, really want to get it. The thing is it's just too bloody expensive around my neck of the woods right now.

Going by some reviews and gameplay clips I've also narrowed down to Portal 2, but the issues of length and replayability have held me back from purchasing it.

The Lego games, particularly Lego Marvel, are great for couch co-op. They are a little on the easy side but they make up for it by just being really fun.

Johnny Novgorod:
Never played LBP2. Don't know if it's true but I hear it's not worth bothering with the first game since the second more or less recaps it entirely. It looks fun and cute but I wonder how much of a challenge it actually is, or how much mileage you can get out of it before replayability runs out. Looks a little repetitive, the kind of game that doesn't really take off into a full-fledged session.

I've been a big fan of Vanillaware Ltd. since Odin's Sphere and Grim Grimoire, and I would love to get Dragon's Crown. It's been my number one co-op pick for a while. I really, really, really want to get it. The thing is it's just too bloody expensive around my neck of the woods right now.

Going by some reviews and gameplay clips I've also narrowed down to Portal 2, but the issues of length and replayability have held me back from purchasing it.

First of all, yes I wouldnt bother with the first one either, second one basically does it 'all' and better. The biggest plus point of LBP2 Id say (that gives an unlimited amount of replayability) are the user created levels which some, to an extent have a fair bit of work implemented in them.
I played that one with my S.O and deemed it 'cute and entertaining' along the lines of Ill say...Mario Party or so. Its not a game you can literally 'binge' for hours as Dragons Crown or so would be, but it is entertaining to pick up and just 'go at' for a while.

so for the 'leangth' (main story) : going 100% in every level (will require 4 people at some points seeing as theres portions of the game that only open with 2/3/4 people, which can be found online if need be.) it does take a bit. Theres also short mini game intervals through the story, so if your playing that with a partner or two they defo give alot of fun for a while. I believe it was the basketballish type game my S.O and I played for about..2 hours during the main story haha.

the proper leangth then is bolstered through the user created things which will give unlimited things to do. Some of them being very difficult to be honest.

Shame that Dragons Crown is too expensive, maybe the person your planning on playing it with could pay half? That one will also give you something to do for quite a while if you want to reach max level and 100% complete the game.

To your point on Portal 2, yes it is very entertaining to play with another person. its leangth is a bit..'short' in my opinion, but if you dont read anything online/run into it blindly with your partner theres bound to be some fun to be had no doubt.

Either of the Borderlands games are a real blast to play through once or twice with a friend, even without any DLCs.

Aeshi:
Either of the Borderlands games are a real blast to play through once or twice with a friend, even without any DLCs.

I forgot to mention, I already played through GotY Borderlands with my co-op buddy. Borderlands 2 is by all accounts better in general and I'd love to give it a go though I was looking for something a bit different to add some variation.

While not the best game ever, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One works when doing couch co-op actually. The camera is out far enough for you to see both characters just fine, and the game is fun with friends I say.

Johnny Novgorod:

Aeshi:

I forgot to mention, I already played through GotY Borderlands with my co-op buddy. Borderlands 2 is by all accounts better in general and I'd love to give it a go though I was looking for something a bit different to add some variation.

Oh, good.
Borderlands 2 made a lot of improvements over 1, I definitely recommend it when you're ready.
We play Diablo 3 on the couch. If you liked Borderlands, you'll probably like that even though it looks completely different.
There are also a million decent twin stick shooters you can download. There are demos you can try first. My favorite is Kill Team;it's the Warhammer 40k style one.

Unfortunately they've been phasing out local co-op. And now that MS & Sony both charge for online play, we'll probably only ever see local co-op in Nintendo games.

Yeah, the co-op game for Portal 2 is short in comparison to the single-player. And this is a small issue, really not an issue at all, but you don't get the same payoff when you finish the two player mode versus the single player campaign. It's not a big deal I guess.

I remember watching a friend and his brother play the two-player Portal 2 and I was honestly amazed at how they could tell what was going on because it looked really confusing. And I'm not entirely sure about this, but I believe you could choose between a vertical or horizontal split.

Regarding other games, I haven't played it but I've heard nothing but good stuff about Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.

Johnny Novgorod:
snip

Oh right, I forgot about Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. It's pretty much built for local two-player.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Dragon's Crown are great couch co-op Beat-em Up Games worth checking out.

Terraria is a blast to play split-screen Co-op.

I would suggest others but I can't rightly reccomend games I haven't yet played, but those 3 are great.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked