Call of Duty Advanced Warfare:Okay, you got my curiosity

One of the concerns I had about the game (besides the jingoism) was the fact that they wouldn't take the futuristic concept far enough and just give up more shiny versions of current weapons

I can say that the tech on display here caught my curiosity: drone swarms (to this day, we can't make drones of that size fly that close together, laser weapons, multi-purpose grenades, an assault rifle with some odd loading mechanism, the use of the exoskeleton for verticallity and what seems to be a pulse shotgun.

I will wait to see what happens next but I definitely want to keep my fingers crossed

I've been let down with COD too many times to get curious.

Until they take the full step out of the modern warfare vane, I won't buy another one. I would really like to see them take it into the distant future, create a brand new and detailed world, and maybe make a war with aliens the focus.

Meh, all the cool shit in the game will probably be scripted events in the campaign while the multiplayer will be functionally identical to the multiplayer of every other Call of Duty game.

I want to see Call of Duty go back in to WWII. We don't need futuristic soldiers using robots while fighting in a wartorn city, that shit is going to be standard in next-gen shooters. Can you imagine how incredible the Normandy landings or the Battle of Stalingrad will look with the graphical capacities we got today?

They are trying too hard to mimic Killzone and the like.

It gave me a complete "meh" feeling, which is a damn shame because CoD 4 through Black Ops II all got me a little excited. Ghosts looked like trash from the get go, and looking "meh" is not a good thing when the last game was so abysmally terrible.

I found the drama at the end hilarious, it's like something out of Austin Powers.

Nothing can stop us now! *Ker-DRAMA* Oh no Deus Ex Machina has trapped my arm! Whatever shall we do?

Don't worry, my strong arms will open this puny hatch!
8Ker-fail*
Oh no, I forgot this a Call of Duty game! My arms are not strong enough for this puny pneumatic maintenance cover!

Don't worry my friend, I'm sure I shall return as a bad guy for the final act, FAREWELL MY FRIEND! *shove*

Then when his arm comes away at the end, all I could think was OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Up to that the gameplay and mechanics looked alright, although this being Call of Duty no doubt these things will show up once and never be seen again. The Drone swarm looked terrible though, like someone had done a mass AI glitch in Garry's mod or something.

Please let this game be awesome...please let this game be awesome...

I just hope the video wasn't the only awesome thing about the game. They're doing a futuristic shooter (Crysis much?) but I am hoping it isn't pure Spunkgargleweewee...please let it not be pure Spunkgargleweewee :(

A decent single player campaign (gameplay + story) would be nice for once.

"This isn't your average stupid, this is advanced stupid".

fix-the-spade:
I found the drama at the end hilarious, it's like something out of Austin Powers.

Nothing can stop us now! *Ker-DRAMA* Oh no Deus Ex Machina has trapped my arm! Whatever shall we do?

Don't worry, my strong arms will open this puny hatch!
8Ker-fail*
Oh no, I forgot this a Call of Duty game! My arms are not strong enough for this puny pneumatic maintenance cover!

Don't worry my friend, I'm sure I shall return as a bad guy for the final act, FAREWELL MY FRIEND! *shove*

Then when his arm comes away at the end, all I could think was OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Up to that the gameplay and mechanics looked alright, although this being Call of Duty no doubt these things will show up once and never be seen again. The Drone swarm looked terrible though, like someone had done a mass AI glitch in Garry's mod or something.

You dont get it, now he will have a robot arm and by the end he will meet his friend also with a robot arm and do a robotic version of this

OT: The only thing I liked was the visuals as it gave me a glimpse of what games can look like in a few years (I doubt this one will look like this, the same with Assassins Creed and the rest, but eventually some other game will and it was nice to see it now in motion)

josemlopes:
You dont get it, now he will have a robot arm and by the end he will meet his friend also with a robot arm and do a robotic version of this

Because nothing cannot be improved by Guile's theme.

Izanagi009:

One of the concerns I had about the game (besides the jingoism) was the fact that they wouldn't take the futuristic concept far enough and just give up more shiny versions of current weapons

I can say that the tech on display here caught my curiosity: drone swarms (to this day, we can't make drones of that size fly that close together, laser weapons, multi-purpose grenades, an assault rifle with some odd loading mechanism, the use of the exoskeleton for verticallity and what seems to be a pulse shotgun.

I will wait to see what happens next but I definitely want to keep my fingers crossed

Completely agree, I've gone from the total apathy I had after Ghosts to being actually cautiously optimistic for this one. All I can say would be to beware the hype train while avoiding being run over by the massive hate bandwagon that's incoming over the next few months, since it feels like middle of the road opinions aren't allowed in gaming anymore.

My main problem with call of duty is that i dont like the gunplay, High damage, high accuracy, low recoil weapons witch super quick drawing/aiming is not a combination i personally like. I thought CoD4 got it right by having some recoil (Not every single last shot hit the centre of the screen while aiming) and by being a little bit slower than the newer entries.
And after watching the E3 demo i can safely say im not interested.

spartandude:
My main problem with call of duty is that i dont like the gunplay, High damage, high accuracy, low recoil weapons witch super quick drawing/aiming is not a combination i personally like. I thought CoD4 got it right by having some recoil (Not every single last shot hit the centre of the screen while aiming) and by being a little bit slower than the newer entries.

To be fair, given the exoskeleton, there is a bit of an excuse for the low recoil and high damage. The exoskeleton allows one to carry a higher caliber weapon and it also can produce a counter force but stabilizing the arm, hand and body to prevent recoil while minimizing damage to the person.

The accuracy and rapid draw/aim though is definitely can't be explained by by the future tech

If the weapons don't work for you, I understand but my main concern is how the story will use it's merc angle

Izanagi009:

spartandude:

To be fair, given the exoskeleton, there is a bit of an excuse for the low recoil and high damage. The exoskeleton allows one to carry a higher caliber weapon and it also can produce a counter force but stabilizing the arm, hand and body to prevent recoil while minimizing damage to the person.

The accuracy and rapid draw/aim though is definitely can't be explained by by the future tech

If the weapons don't work for you, I understand but my main concern is how the story will use it's merc angle

Dude, stop giving them the excuse so they can easily remove recoil, like they haven't done that for a long time now. Honestly, if the guns doesn't have recoil, you might as well just make a laser rifle, saves time and bullet. By the way, I don't know if THAT kind of exoskeleton exist or not, but why does it look a lot like Elysium exoskeleton?

savageoblivi0n:

Completely agree, I've gone from the total apathy I had after Ghosts to being actually cautiously optimistic for this one. All I can say would be to beware the hype train while avoiding being run over by the massive hate bandwagon that's incoming over the next few months, since it feels like middle of the road opinions aren't allowed in gaming anymore.

Right there with you too, from the utter letdown that was Ghosts to the cautious optimism that this trailer planted in me. I will give Call of Duty one final chance, but if this is another Ghosts, I'm afraid it will be time for me to leave the series.

Can someone explain to me why the drone swarm was dangerous to begin with, and then why simply ducking a few feet protected you from them? Can they not go below a certain altitude or something?

The Feast:

Izanagi009:

spartandude:

Dude, stop giving them the excuse so they can easily remove recoil, like they haven't done that for a long time now. Honestly, if the guns doesn't have recoil, you might as well just make a laser rifle, saves time and bullet. By the way, I don't know if THAT kind of exoskeleton exist or not, but why does it look a lot like Elysium exoskeleton?

I think it's meant to be a more streamlined and less constricting version of the TALOS suit that the military is currently researching, which I think Elysium used as a basis for their suits as well.

Sniper Team 4:

savageoblivi0n:

Right there with you too, from the utter letdown that was Ghosts to the cautious optimism that this trailer planted in me. I will give Call of Duty one final chance, but if this is another Ghosts, I'm afraid it will be time for me to leave the series.

Can someone explain to me why the drone swarm was dangerous to begin with, and then why simply ducking a few feet protected you from them? Can they not go below a certain altitude or something?

The only thing I can think of on the drone swarm is that there's possible limitations to it's detection ability when there's a lot of obstructions around, so it wasn't able to lock onto the soldiers weaving between the vehicles, could be wrong but *shrugs*

Izanagi009:

spartandude:

No i mean its just gameplay that doesnt really sit well with me, whether or not justified by the story, its just my taste when it comes to first person shooters.

I wasn't terribly impressed by this. The issue I think they're going to have is they are going to try to be a Sci-Fi shooter and a Call of Duty game at the same time. So at the start, instead of having a helicopter crash, we had a futuristic 'travel-pod' crash. We're still taking part in a street battle in a major city, just some of the tanks look a bit futuristic. The drone things didn't make any sense to me, if they had any kind of weapons the heroes would have had no chance, but if they are just for reconnaissance why did to they need a gazillion of them. They seemed to just be a case of "hide for a moment while this cool effect goes over heads". As others have said the drama of the trapped arm at the end felt very forced and ham-fisted.

Generally I appreciate the CoD games for what they are (simple mindless fun), that said this didn't do any for me at all. I'd much rather the series returns to real historical conflicts.

The original trailer just turned me off when Kevin Spacy says America has been trying to install democracy for over a century. I'm like that isn't true at all. We actually put hits out on various foreign leaders can killed some. While also funding rebel groups that turnout to be terrorist.

Nope.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me six times, and I might just start to develop a sense of pattern recognition.

Gameplay wise, it looked like it was almost on par with Crysis 2. Whoop-de-doo.

Oh, and what exactly was the drone swarm supposed to do? Because apparently it got bamboozled by the dudes, y'know, ducking a bit.

I like that jetpack jumps seem to be standard, rather than one time scripted sequences. I don't like the lack of recoil however, and as noted, those drones are fucking stupid.

Another thing about this game is that I don't think it will adhere to a very simple rule of game design.

"If it serves no purpose, there is no reason for it."

What I'd usually refer to is the guns, ten assault rifles or SMGs that feel incredibly similar, if not the exact same (Black Ops).

What I'm talking about here however, is the drone swarm. A blatantly scripted event with a special effect, that just seems... Off (I don't know if it's the design of the drones, or the way the work, or everything about them, but it looks bad), in which the drones are so easily avoided by ducking.

Is there anything this adds? Other than padding out the level? Not to mentioned the drones seem rather limited in mobility, when if they had them attack from all sides, the drones would be much more terrifying and effective.

One more thing I like is that dodge move (it can be seen around 5: 45), I can see it working in space, I'm not sure how I feel about it on the ground (it just feels wrong), and the grenades. The sound design is absolutely fucking dull though.

Jacco:
I've been let down with COD too many times to get curious.

Until they take the full step out of the modern warfare vane, I won't buy another one. I would really like to see them take it into the distant future, create a brand new and detailed world, and maybe make a war with aliens the focus.

To be honest, I'm not sure a war with aliens would work for Call of Duty, one of the main draws is atmosphere (although that's already practically non-existent post Modern Warfare), and I don't think CoD could make cool looking aliens that are plausible (I also know they will make them have a fucking hive mind, because every alien enemy has a fucking hive mind these days).

I can also see Sci-fi shooters becoming a big trend in games this gen, while World War 2 would actually make them stand out. Going back to the series roots where you played British, US and Russian campaigns (in that order for pacing purposes).

Yet another problem with interesting concepts, they are just that, concepts.

I once came up with a concept for a game where are an Arab-Australian security guard (named Jared, for convenience) at Black Mesa-esque research lab, only rather than aliens invading the facility, you end up teleporting to another world, and see no way of getting back home.

This opens up a plethora of interesting plot threads, where is Jared? What happened to the scientists? Will Jared ever get home? Is Jared even in the same universe? (judging by the local wildlife probably not). Not only that, I came with some nice, varied environments (forest, space station, weird place with no plant life where the ground is made of "hexagonal pillars that move around", other environments I can't be bothered to write down) for the game.

Sound like a cool story concept?

Well it doesn't matter, if you made that concept into a Call of Duty game, it would mean fuck all. Either the problems of CoD would be in there, or wouldn't be a Call of Duty game, because the problems are in the story and gameplay, with things like overly dramatic stories becoming increasingly ridiculous.

Also, about the concept, seriously, I'm actually asking if that sounds interesting. I want to use an actual interesting sounding concept for a game if I ever need a good example of interesting concepts vs interesting content again.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked