Left 4 Dead: New Map Ideas

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ok, so this is like an extention of the this forum-

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.84990?page=2#1242414

Instead of talking about DLC in general, I thought we could narrow down the subject to just what new maps we'd like to see. And try to be realistic, no reproductive organ level or anything. So here's my idea-

On Ice
Absolute Zero Survivors

Start at the base of a small alpine resort, on the banks of a frozen lake in the first stage. The second has you fight through one or two of theHotel buildings that are a liite further up the mountain. Third, you really begin to climb up the hill, the enviroment is like Blood Harvest's first stage, but in a winter climate and uphill. Fourth, you fight through some tunnels that are close to the top of the hill. And the last stand would be in a large hunting lodge on the summit, and the getting rescued by a chopper at a helipad.

That ice idea is pretty good.

Here's mine:

Smog of the Dead.
They won't choke this one.

Starting at a abandoned textile factory, the survivors exit to a small sweatshop. Then they head through the indutrial settings to a nearby naval base. Before there, they must head up the smokestacks to set off explosives to blow up an entrance to the naval yard. The last level will be waiting for a submarine to come as Zombies pop out of the water.

Well, although the SDK isn't out, I've figured out (I.E. I googled) how to map for the game. As a result, I've been slowly mapping for it. It's surprisingly easy. Just make a level, place where survivors can walk (auto-detects all places survivors can walk once you point at a place), and you're good to go. I'm having some problems getting the AI stuff to 'save' on some maps, but it's coming along nicely.

So, my campaign that I'm working on is rather simple.

Highschool Horror
Schools out. Forever.

You start at a house and work your way through the streets of a suburb, going through backyards, and eventually going through a four story highschool, with the finale being on the roof, similar to No Mercy.

I currently have the third (only four levels here) level finished (playable and just about done) while I have the first barely fleshed out. It's going along well.

Wait a sec... your makeing it? Dude, tell me where you got this magical ability!

I came up with this one soon after the multiplayer beta came out:

Dire Company
To save your own life, are you willing to sacrifice another?

The concept would require a bit of tweaking with the game's code. In a large and unnamed city a government group called the Civil Emergency and Defense Agency (or CEDA, which has several quarantine posters up in the game) had deployed several groups of soldiers into the city to act as a cleaning crew and try to forcefully remove the infection. They failed. When the campaign starts what's left of the CEDA forces are withdrawing from the city at an evacuation point in the city square in uptown. The four survivors need to try to link up with CEDA forces and make it to the evac point so they can be evacuated from the city safely with everyone else.

The big deal with this campaign would be additional friendly NPC's. Scattered intermittently throughout the campaign there will be CEDA operatives trying to withdraw from the city that will link up with the players. After tweaking with the AI Director's code a bit the presence of the CEDA forces will make the game harder. Their combined presence with the players will attract more attacks of a larger scale more often. The entire purpose of the CEDA soldiers is for them to act as "redshirt" characters. It doesn't matter if the operatives survive or not. They can live or die and it isn't going to be that big of a deal. The zombie attacks are more intense, the CEDA operatives die, and that adds to the tension and drama even more.

Ideally the finale will take place at the city's plaza where what's left of the CEDA forces (let's say a dozen soldiers or more) are waiting for choppers to land to extract them all. With emplacements and extra people fighting it should end up being far more intense than any other finalie in the current four campaigns.

I don't have an idea (yet) but I always assumed that the next campaign that they would introduce would be in a military base, as the military come get you at the end of the last campaign (blood harvest). I also thought this is where new weapons would be introduced as well, like land mines, RPG s and the like (ok the weapons are my idea and wishful thinking but still).

I will report back with my idea of a campaign, I had a great location in mind just now.

A cruise ship might not be that bad of an idea, start in the cargo bay and make your way upwards to radio for help as there are no life boats left.

Not sure of name for map,
Relax, your dead....

Jinx_Dragon:
A cruise ship might not be that bad of an idea, start in the cargo bay and make your way upwards to radio for help as there are no life boats left.

Not sure of name for map,
Relax, your dead....

Well, would the scenario be long enough, maybee it could start in the harbor and end on the ship. The ship itself probably wouldn't be big enough. Also, I think there already was a resident evil game set on a cruise ship. Good idea though, keep workin on it.

Here's my idea, have it set in Hollywood, and each stage is a trek through different sets of movies.

darkstone:
Here's my idea, have it set in Hollywood, and each stage is a trek through different sets of movies.

Even better, its set in Valve Studios and you play segment of each of their games.
The finale will be Left 4 Dead. Just for confusions sake.

Army Base. There'd be loads of weapons, tactical positions, barracks and...gasp...a tank driving a tank. Awsome, no?

Jail Brakeout
Dead men walking

You have to go into and through a prision because the other half is a survivor zone.
Levels: 1- outside 2- courtyard and rec 3- office area 4- inmates quarters 5- Finale racing to the bus, if you take too long you have to wait untill it returns.

MiloP:

darkstone:

Even better, its set in Valve Studios and you play segment of each of their games.

You win the thread. I'd love to see the TF2 stage.

Knight Templar:
Jail Brakeout
Dead men walking

You have to go into and through a prision because the other half is a survivor zone.
Levels: 1- outside 2- courtyard and rec 3- office area 4- inmates quarters 5- Finale racing to the bus, if you take too long you have to wait untill it returns.

This is a close second.

Offshore island
they landed then abandoned

Stage 1 - Will start off on the beach fighting through the hordes
Stage 2 - Forest off some sort including smokers high in the trees
Stage 3 - Waterfull/cave underground fighting whats more fun
Stage 4 - Guerilla camp holding off the hordes while waiting for a boat to be lowered (its old)
Stage 5 - Base camp off a mountain waiting for a Heli to airlift them outta there

I WINZ. It definitely beats the idea of it being set within someone's digestive system.

A hospital/medical facility
/thread

Zombies at a roller-skate rink.

Egypt

Stage 1-City of Cairo
Stage 2-Some Oasis
Stage 3-Valley of the Dead
Stage 4-By the Pyramids of Giza
Stage 5-Side of a Crashed Oil Tanker, waiting for help

delta4062:
/thread

First level ring a bell? Maybe? I know it was like the last part but still...

Hunde Des Krieg:

delta4062:
/thread

I was thinking more along the lines of an Umbrella facility(Resident Evil)

was thinking of a snowy one when i saw the title!

maybe a trip through the Savannah, going from bush to bush (must resist joke.) in the plains, with a boat ride through a river, to a heli pickup in a lightly jungly clearing.

delta4062:

Hunde Des Krieg:

delta4062:
/thread

I was thinking more along the lines of an Umbrella facility(Resident Evil)

You could say: Evil Labratory.

I think that one in a massive toy store could be quite eerie, with plenty of blood-spattered creepy dolls.

I'm not sure about a name, or even a caption, but I would love to fight your way down, level by level, and each level has a different type of toy. Finale? You break out into the street, for a pickup/rescue.

Crescendo event? You have to start up the escalator to clear a path to the next level, or you have to set off a huge model train system.

I really want a sci-fi level set on a spaceship, possibly with some lasers, just to make fun of Dead Space. I'm sure we'll see it in a mod.

But seriously, a nod to Dawn of The Dead set in a mall would be fun.

fish food carl:
I think that one in a massive toy store could be quite eerie, with plenty of blood-spattered creepy dolls.

I'm not sure about a name, or even a caption, but I would love to fight your way down, level by level, and each level has a different type of toy. Finale? You break out into the street, for a pickup/rescue.

Crescendo event? You have to start up the escalator to clear a path to the next level, or you have to set off a huge model train system.

Umbrella Chronicles, anyone?

left 4 dead should have a level that takes place in a giant mall and the safe house is all the way one the other side and u can pick up any thing u see and use it.

but thats just like dead riseing.........DAMN

I thought of another one, let's set it in Vegas-

Dead Strip
What Dies in Vegas, Stays in Vegas

You basically go on a rampage throughout a destroyed Vegas, going through a bunch of Cassinos. Don't ask me which ones though, I've never actualy been there.

Erana:

fish food carl:

Umbrella Chronicles, anyone?

I've never played it.

In Jersey City. I don't know why but just Jersey City. I'll have to think about the fine details a little more.

I would really like to make a map of my high school. That would be fun. Three buildings, three floors each, not counting the connectors. Plenty of cover and vantage points.

I'm not sure how they would have gotten there but... the International Space Station Construction site. You have to navigate your way through the still in progress space station and at the end you get into a fairly still intact NASA headquarters where you hold off zombies to launch yourself to a colony free of the infection.
And shut up its not dead space.. well maybe it is.

Ville De Morts (City of the Dead)
Escargot's not on the menu... but BRAINS ARE (I know the infected don't eat brains, just roll with it)

The level takes place in Paris, France! You have to make your way through fancy restaurants and the catacombs, all the way to the Eiffel Tower to be rescued via zeppelin!

Shopping mall... need I say more?

MiloP:

darkstone:

one word:Portal!!!

shadowgaunt:

MiloP:

darkstone:

one word:Portal!!!

PORTAL AND ZOMBIES?! This can only get better if all the characters are replaced with Zoes and Alyxs!!! We demand it from Valve!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked