JonTron insults Platstation Now, Tumblr has a shit fit *UPDATE*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Someone needs to teach these kids about context. I just don't understand how anyone can be sensitive enough to be offended like this over something so trivial.

Elijin:
Still, at its core, a guy was an asshat. He used the word retarded, someone politely asked him not to. He in turn, called that person retarded.

Everything past that is white noise.

Please don't say white noise. It's offensive to people who take 'everything past that' seriously.

/sarcasm

I don't see anything wrong with the initial post or really even anything that followed other than a lack of wit. Personally, I wish people would quit reserving words for hate speech. Are we now reserving 'retarded' for people who look down on handicapped people? Fuck them. I say we make retarded a perfectly acceptable word for retarted people to use even in reference to themselves and quit shaming the condition. All political correctness does in this instance is shame the condition. How is mentally handicapped better when it is MUCH more vague? Down syndrome and retarded are 2 different things but both are mentally handicapped. How is that better?

Seeing a retarded person call themselves retarded casually is what should happen. It isn't demeaning. The word retardation is a condition and means the same thing as mentally handicapped. (only more specific) But hey, let's set the word aside specifically FOR hate speech. That's a better idea.

Jon was being a dick, people started a crusade over it...

Disproportionate response if ever I've seen it.

I would like to see Jon apologise to Huber, since Ben was being pretty civil and well meaning, but everyone else can go fuck themselves or, preferably, get a life. Doesn't change my stance on Jon. His vids are good, but he's been known to be abrasive and insensitive. However, he isn't malicious. Even that response to Ben, as dickish as it was, is just an immature rebuttal, not a hate filled attack.

His response to the backlash got twisted to suit the rage engine. He shouldn't have had to apologise for that, though he was smart enough to realise that if that comment gained traction it would be far worse then calling someone a retard.

A lot of those people are just looking for someone to push around. If they genuinely felt these issues needed to be addressed they would be productive about it, not single out one guy misusing a word that every fucking teen since the 90's misuse.

Also, Jons fans harassing Huber are worse then the those who are raging at Jon. He didn't do anything wrong.

EDIT: Just realised Jons initial comment was calling an inanimate object retarded. I'm not one to tell people to get thicker skin, but in this instance that's the only response I have... I know people with disabilities and they use the word "retarded" to describe shit like that.

Only a retarded place like Tumblr would take offense to it, then again it's full of 'feminists' who don't know what feminism is, white knights, white girls "who can't even right now" and folk who apparently "are so done" with every (un)funny post (that's every post) on the site because it's full of absolute comedians and can't take criticism from anyone about anything because they are the superior internet force that reigns over all.

Savagezion:
Please don't say white noise. It's offensive to people who take 'everything past that' seriously.

/sarcasm

I don't see anything wrong with the initial post or really even anything that followed other than a lack of wit. Personally, I wish people would quit reserving words for hate speech. Are we now reserving 'retarded' for people who look down on handicapped people? Fuck them. I say we make retarded a perfectly acceptable word for retarted people to use even in reference to themselves and quit shaming the condition. All political correctness does in this instance is shame the condition. How is mentally handicapped better when it is MUCH more vague? Down syndrome and retarded are 2 different things but both are mentally handicapped. How is that better?

Seeing a retarded person call themselves retarded casually is what should happen. It isn't demeaning. The word retardation is a condition and means the same thing as mentally handicapped. (only more specific) But hey, let's set the word aside specifically FOR hate speech. That's a better idea.

Im not reserving it for hate speech. Lets put it in another way.

Person A made a comment which they felt was harmless.
Person B politely informed Person A that they found that offensive, and perhaps they could be a bit more considerate in the future.
Person A, now armed with the knowledge person B finds the phrase offensive, immediately calls person B that.

That the issue here at its core. Someone politely said they found something offensive, and he immediately made a targeted remark which was guaranteed to be offensive to them.

Who cares whether it was a word with or without political correctness hang ups. JonTron was an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

He didnt like being politely asked not to use the word? Fine. He could of not replied, I imagine he doesnt reply to a lot of tweets on a daily basis. He made the decision to pointlessly escalate it by actively being a dick to someone who's only transgression was politely presenting a differing opinion.

The 'politically correct' issues with his words are something I dont care to touch.

I hope he doesn't back up and apologize, this is just flat out nonsense. "Change how you talk because I sir am offended!" Here's a thought, ignore him, don't support him and go to one of the other countless pages on the internet instead of trying to force someone to change to some irrational list of words one can and can't say.

No matter what is said it can offend someone, and trying to make people tip toe around offensive words isn't going to work and honestly it's just stupid to try.

As someone who spent a few years in Severely Learning Disabled classes, took years to learn to tie my shoes, and even had difficulty telling the difference between "d" and "b", the Tumblr response is retarded. Retarded is not an offensive word. Political Correctness gets out of hand.

I don't care about any of Jon's other responses. Frankly, I'm a fan of his and he does some awesome work. Great for a laugh when you need it.

For the Record: I got better. It was a result of some seriously screwy medicine that literally left me mentally handicapped. Some of my first memories are of my learning disabled class. When my mom, against doctor's orders, weaned me off the medicine, I made a complete turn around, and even ended up in Honors/Advanced classes. There are few people who could better tell you what it is to be mentally handicapped.

Snotnarok:
I hope he doesn't back up and apologize, this is just flat out nonsense. "Change how you talk because I sir am offended!" Here's a thought, ignore him, don't support him and go to one of the other countless pages on the internet instead of trying to force someone to change to some irrational list of words one can and can't say.

No matter what is said it can offend someone, and trying to make people tip toe around offensive words isn't going to work and honestly it's just stupid to try.

He already backed up and apologized for the Gaza comparison, so you're a little late on that one, as for anything else he seems to be mostly ignoring responses at this point, which is probably the best course of action since a single person being attacked by multiple people has the advantage of being able to chose to disengage and leave the entire issue to fade away with time.

Oh no! Someone pissed off the most easily offended collection of people on the internet? Say it isn't so!

His first apology where he says he won't apologize was perfect. His second wasn't necessary. If people aren't intelligent enough to notice his point and his strong example, then that's their problem and Jon shouldn't have even dignified them with a response.

I would side with JonTron, if only because fuck the tumblrites and their hugbox of political correctness.

JonTron calling anything retarded is so ironic my irony meter burst into flames.

Other than that? Meh.

Dirty Hipsters:
I can't believe people still care what tumblr thinks.

I thought nobody cared, and only brought up Tumblr when they wanted to rant about something.

endtherapture:

Tumblr is just a very reactionary and hypocritical place.

Which is no different from Twitter, Facebook, and, ummm...the internet. Tumblr is singled out because it's become an easy scapegoat, not because anything its users are doing is unique. It's in itself fairly hypocritical. Especially since it's usually people outraged at outrage who post about it.

Yeah, I saw this all exploding on my Twitter feed. The internet's being the internet again.

Like I always say, the only people that get offended over shit like this, whether it's using a racial quip, describing something as retarded or gay or whatever, are social justice warriors.
If they know it was not meant as an offensive slur directed at them, the vast majority of people the word is used for could not give any less of a toss because not everyone is a fucking hypochondriac.

Besides, if you're following JonTron on Twitter, surely you must know he's not one to censor his humour. It's like going to a horror film screening and filing a complaint because it scared you.

Saltyk:
As someone who spent a few years in Severely Learning Disabled classes, took years to learn to tie my shoes, and even had difficulty telling the difference between "d" and "b", the Tumblr response is retarded.

Is it your testimony that you speak for all people with disabilities?

If not, saying "it's not an offensive word" is absurd. Not to mention kind of callous.

Zachary Amaranth:

Saltyk:
As someone who spent a few years in Severely Learning Disabled classes, took years to learn to tie my shoes, and even had difficulty telling the difference between "d" and "b", the Tumblr response is retarded.

If not, saying "it's not an offensive word" is absurd. Not to mention kind of callous.

speaks more for it then your avg person, thats rather obvious.

and yeah, high-functioning case of autism here and as long as someone doesn't call me mentally-retarded outright or in context i don't care, cause retarded on its own just means something is slowed beyond the regular rate.

which is true as a general rule for consoles as electronics, as they're retarded to the point of being almost at a stand still by the time they're developed.

Zachary Amaranth:

Saltyk:

Spare me. Words are not offensive. You choose to be offended by them.

And I have far more knowledge of what it is to be mentally handicapped than most people. Even those who have handicapped family. Handicapped people don't want you to look down on them. Or protect them. They want you to respect them, just like any other person. And you feigning outrage over someone using retarded as an "insult" is not respecting them. You're making the insult offensive to you, not the handicapped.

So move on to something else that "offends" you.

In spite of having severely handicapped relatives I don't have any problem with people using the word retarded.

That said, JohnTron handled this in such a childish manner, with such little grace and wit, that I frankly don't care if he gets shit for what he said.

Joseph Alexander:

speaks more for it then your avg person, thats rather obvious.

If "because I said so on the internet" counts as verifiable credentials, yes.

But then, it's not difficult to find people with developmental disabilities who find it offensive, so even that trite argument loses any weight.

BinDipper:

That said, JohnTron handled this in such a childish manner, with such little grace and wit, that I frankly don't care if he gets shit for what he said.

But then, isn't the lack of grace and wit what people love about Jontron in the first place?

Saltyk:

Spare me. Words are not offensive. You choose to be offended by them.

No, you chose to take the most pedantic version of a phrase and run with it.

Do you speak for the developmentally disabled? If not, don't try and shoot down others because you are not offended. Try having some basic empathy.

I'm cool with using the word retarded as a means to call something stupid, but that response to being told that it could be offensive was incredibly childish and Jon should be ashamed of it.

People need to stop getting offended over every single thing, seriously nothing mean was said about anyone but the moment someone gets politely corrected shit hits the fan.

Zachary Amaranth:

But then, isn't the lack of grace and wit what people love about Jontron in the first place?

Really? I thought it was the goodwill from his role as Josh Peck's body fat in Drake and Josh.

Jon Tron said a Tumblr trigger word.

Someone was offended on another persons behalf.

Jon Tron replied in a childish manner which also implied that this was being offended on someone's behalf (which I think got lost a bit there as "So you're retarded then ?" would have worked better).

Tumblr being tumblr threw a shit fit because an internet comedian said something offensive.

Sorry but if you're offended by a word and not a targeted insult at you then I'd honestly say Jon Tron should just say "You're offended, so what ? Being offended grants you no special rights and I do feel sorry that you found something I said offensive and hope you can work out your issues. However I do not apologise for using the word itself nor will this restrict me in the future. If you do genuinely have a mental disorder (not self diagnosed) and find what I wrote offended you then I apologise but it wasn't directed at you nor was it my aim to demean you. Turns out that tweet itself was a retard moment for me. If you feel my tweets may offend you in future then might I suggest using a word blocker program or in an extreme case unfollowing me"

I always find it strange people get offended by certain words but there's literally a chrome program called replacer which removes tweets or posts with offensive content in them and you can replace them with items from any RSS stream (even tumblr ones)

Zachary Amaranth:

But then, it's not difficult to find people with developmental disabilities who find it offensive, so even that trite argument loses any weight.

You assume that, but show me these people. Go find me someone who was actually offended by this, and not on someone else's behalf. I was in special education all through school, and it was usually (I'd say 7-8 times out of ten) someone else getting offended for us when the word 'retard' got dropped. I'm not saying that nobody is ever offended by the word, mind, but I am sick as fuck of people getting all up in arms because some nameless person somewhere else might have gotten their feelings hurt, despite a lack of any evidence of that happening. So please, go find me a developmentally disabled person who was offended by this.

I pose back your question to yourself,

Zachary Amaranth:
Do you speak for the developmentally disabled?

Being offended does not give you any rights. It doesn't give you a right to demand an apology, or to enforce your own standards of political correctness. It's just whining.

When you're whining about being offended by something, you are making yourself the subject of the conversation. That's why it's so satisfying for so many people to complain about shit they have no business to be complaining about - they get attention.

Best policy I've found is to just ignore the whole "I was offended" brigade.

He was an a-hole when he responded to the other dude, but come on... I don't know if this is a forbidden word in other countries, but here it isn't that big of deal at all. Furthermore, he was right about the PSNow. It is a dumb program and it's getting worse by the day with the good ps3 games being released for the ps4/vita.

This whole witch-hunt from tumblr is as unnecessary as his response to that dude.

BinDipper:

Really? I thought it was the goodwill from his role as Josh Peck's body fat in Drake and Josh.

Not gonna lie, I have no idea what that means.

Benpasko:

You assume that, but show me these people.

Well, I find it to be a slur, and I fit the bill (especially if you go by Salty's definition, which is a lot looser than would be standard). I've also worked with the disabled in the past who are literally offended by it. I mean, I didn't want to be specific because of the already callous statements and attacks on people who feel different, but hey. I don't need to go any further. Thanks for putting me in a situation where I either have to "name and shame" or open myself up to the same beratement, though.

But where your point mostly fails is when you try and turn my question back around on me. I'm not doing what SaltyK did. I'm not claiming a blanket statement. And since you read me so thoroughly, you should know better.

All I need to do is point out that people who are offended exist. Salty would need to speak for everyone.

I appreciate the assumption that I'm speaking on another's behalf, though, simply because I didn't start off trying to make a point by launching a list of disabilities that cannot be verified over the web in the first place.

mmiki:
Being offended does not give you any rights. It doesn't give you a right to demand an apology, or to enforce your own standards of political correctness. It's just whining.

They have every bit as much right to demand an apology as you have to dismiss them as politically correct or accuse them of whining. They are not entitled TO an apology any more than you are entitled to be free of their "whining," but then, that's a different story. Either way, you're complaining about complaining.

My job as a comedian is to make people laugh and feel better about their lives...

... Except people who are mentally handicapped. Fuck those guys, amiright?

Personally I don't care about use of the word retarded. But this guy just seems like a douche.

JonTron is the best.

While he was overzealous in his response, it was part of his act - He was harping on something and in the mindset of making quips. In this scenario, making a quip about someone being third-person offended on somebody else's behalf. While the person who was initially giving criticism was polite, Jon was a lot more civil after the fact - The replies of which are for some reason missing from the initial post in this thread.

Tumblr blew it way out of proportion and started attacking him. It shouldn't have exploded the way that it did, but tumblr is a menacing force that does more harm than good in a lot of scenarios. I avoid that place more than I avoid 4chan. That's saying something.

Zachary Amaranth:

I appreciate the assumption that I'm speaking on another's behalf, though, simply because I didn't start off trying to make a point by launching a list of disabilities that cannot be verified over the web in the first place.

It's an internet forum, we're all operating on assumptions about each other. And in this case, I didn't think anyone with actual disabilities was offended in this case, but if you have them and are, my entire point was moot.

I asked you to show me the people, and you showed me a person. I'm not trying to make a point about 'words aren't offensive unless you get offended' or some bs, I just figured the only people who would care about some jontron twitter post enough to get offended would be total shitrakers, as opposed to anyone with a valid reason. This IS the internet, after all.

Zachary Amaranth:

They have every bit as much right to demand an apology as you have to dismiss them as politically correct or accuse them of whining. They are not entitled TO an apology any more than you are entitled to be free of their "whining," but then, that's a different story.

I'm not interested in debating semantics.

Either way, you're complaining about complaining.

No, I'm making an observation related to what I believe are the main motives of these pointless complaints, in the part of the post that you didn't quote. You missed the point.

It comes off to me that he was staying in character on this where he is an asshole as a character or this could be the fan blindness talking. Me personally I have nothing wrong with what he said and the stupid side of tumblr is always gonna be stupid this isn't really a big deal to follow.

I definitely feel like his response to the first guy was pretty bad, he was being very civil about the whole thing. However, I bet Jon was just venting about how people on the internet can get so angry about relatively pointless stuff, and how much negativity a slightly famous person like him gets everyday from random people. Throwing Tumblr into the mix of course makes things worse.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked