JonTron insults Platstation Now, Tumblr has a shit fit *UPDATE*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Alcaste:
It shouldn't have exploded the way that it did, but tumblr is a menacing force that does more harm than good in a lot of scenarios. I avoid that place more than I avoid 4chan. That's saying something.

Tumblr is basically the attention seeking left wing 4chan. In fact these days I seriously think Tumblr is responsible for more bullying and shitposting. Funnily enough though people seem to defend Tumblr against criticism in a way 4chan doesn't get defended.

Good. Let them throw their little hissy fit.

Although I'll give them this, JonTron should never have responded to anyone. Just carry on.

Your portrayal of this story screams bias, I understand that you want to play the role of Journalist but it's so obvious what your opinions are that this piece just comes off as Fox News or MSNBC BS.

This seems to be a growing trend. What is going on with all the oversensitivity? God damn people, if this was some sort of racist thing, I could understand the hate. He used "retarded" which in the english language is synonymous for "stupid" which is a perfectly valid statement when regarding Playstation Now and its pricing structure. If you are going to bitch about the word "retard" then bitch about "stupid", "slow-witted", "dim-witted", "moronic", "imbecile", and "numbskull" as well.

Don't care if this gives me hate, but god damned. Grow a backbone, internet and stop being so oversensitive to everything. Wasn't there a CollegeHumor that perfectly encapsulated this oversensitivy crap a few months ago?

Scrumpmonkey:
"On second thought lets not go to Twitter, tis a silly place"

This right here. Twitter is just about the least useful place to have a discussion about anything. Personally, I have no problem with people calling things retarded, and I doubt many actually retarded people have either. Hell, I have a brother who would probably be classified as retarded, not like he cares...

Also: what's a JonTron and why should we care what he/she/it thinks?

I dunno, I think this whole situation is pretty retarded :3

Zachary Amaranth:

BinDipper:

Really? I thought it was the goodwill from his role as Josh Peck's body fat in Drake and Josh.

Not gonna lie, I have no idea what that means.

Pop culture joke, you wouldn't get it if you have a life.

*Comes to the Escapist from Tumblr*

Tumblr's having a shit fit...?

*Goes back to look at Tumblr*

No, no, I don't see it unless I specifically search for JonTron on there, and then the majority of posts I see are actually in support of him. No, really, almost everyone there is yelling the same stuff you guys are.

I feel like no one on this site actually understands how Tumblr works. Basically, it's like Facebook but instead of seeing stuff from people you know in real life, you see stuff from people you choose to follow based purely on what they post. There is no central place where people will see threads and stuff, unless you specifically search JonTron or whatever else. What I'm getting at is that you say Tumblr is "exploding" but I am willing to bet you that virtually no one on Tumblr actually knows about it.

It's really weird how people keep imagining that Tumblr is all one united thing, like "4chan attacks Tumblr", "Tumblr attacks 4chan", "Tumblr has a shitfit", when in reality it's more compartmentalised than most major websites like Reddit, 4chan, or here on The Escapist for example.

But for my opinion, I really wouldn't have cared all that much if he'd just made his original comment and left it at that. I wouldn't have liked it, but I wouldn't have been fussed and my opinion of him wouldn't have changed much. But I feel like there's a big difference between just saying something that people might find offensive and specifically going for something that people find offensive, you know? If he'd just said "Well, I don't like to censor myself, especially not my comedy" then that would have been alright; but when you specifically target your (extremely polite) critic with the term they complained about, you're showing that you specifically want to make some people unhappy. You're no longer breaking a few eggs to make an omlette, you're being an asshole.

Basically, I can't imagine anything more childish than specifically doing something just to piss someone off when they asked you not to.

It's funny because his reply is only "rude" if you consider "retarded" a derogatory term.
There. Explained the joke for you. Can everyone calm their tits and move on now? No? Welp.

Benpasko:

It's an internet forum, we're all operating on assumptions about each other.

Please don't lie about others.

I asked you to show me the people, and you showed me a person.

But the point here was that you started from a rather absurd point of contention and that you were trying to put me to the same standard as the guy claiming that the words weren't offensive because he was not offended.

Which, you know, you can always find people who are not offended. I know black people who are fine with white people calling them niggers (and my friends in the South can point to even more of them), gays who are okay with use of the word "faggot," and so on and so on. Taking Carlos Mencia at his word, he's fine with "beaner" and "wetback."

I'm not trying to make a point about 'words aren't offensive unless you get offended' or some bs, I just figured the only people who would care about some jontron twitter post enough to get offended would be total shitrakers, as opposed to anyone with a valid reason. This IS the internet, after all.

I care minimally about Jontron. He's a sack of crap. This doesn't completely tie in with the notion that he's calling things retarded, but that certainly doesn't help my opinion, either. However, I'm actually more bothered when someone says "that's not offensive! I'm (X) and I'm not offended!"

And yes, I'm well aware of the "social justice strawman," but there are actually people on the internet capable of empathy and consideration of others. You yourself mention autism. While you may not be personally bothered, I have no doubt that you're aware of stigmas that surround autistics. Hell, this site featured a few autistics "offended" by the notion that the idiot in California who shot up Isla Vista might be autistic because of the negative association with autism already being so prevalent.

I would hope you could empathise with your own, at the very least. And I wonder how many people are going to point out the obvious about autism and empathy.

But I empathise with autistics without actually being autistic. Maybe this is a rare trait, but I reeeeeeeally hope it's not.

And on that note, when autistic folks tell me that they don't like to be called "retards," I believe them. It may not hurt your feelings or Salty's feelings or any given person's feelings, but retard is a pejorative and so is retarded.

You may take issue with someone who is offended on another's behalf, I don't know. But to assume that everyone who takes issue is a "shitraker" because "the internet" is....

Okay, you got me. I'm actually at a loss for words there.

mmiki:

I'm not interested in debating semantics.

That's irrelevant. They have every right to complain or demand whatever they want. Just as you have a right to dismiss and condemn them. It's still a double standard in action.

BinDipper:

Pop culture joke, you wouldn't get it if you have a life.

I have no life. You have offended me with your mischaracterisation of me and people like me! I demand an apology!

(I, of course, am kidding).

Geo Da Sponge:
*Comes to the Escapist from Tumblr*

Tumblr's having a shit fit...?

*Goes back to look at Tumblr*

No, no, I don't see it unless I specifically search for JonTron on there, and then the majority of posts I see are actually in support of him. No, really, almost everyone there is yelling the same stuff you guys are.

Well, this could count as a "shit fit," I suppose. Although I'm sure that's not what was intended, it may be unintentional truth in advertising.

loa:
It's funny because his reply is only "rude" if you consider "retarded" a derogatory term.

I'm missing the joke. Since "retarded" is considered a derogatory term, there doesn't seem to be any trick here.

The capacity to identify that a slur is used to depict or describe a group is not the same has holding stock in the term yourself, so that's not it.

Can you elaborate?

The whole thing was glorious. Right up until he apologized. You don't apologize to these people.

Apologizing to these people will do nothing but hurt them in the long run. Tumblr is a site built to be an echo chamber. The main features are "follow" and "reblog." These teens and young adults go there to isolate themselves from the real world and completely shut themselves off from any dissenting voices. And yes, lot's of places on the internet do this, but none to the degree that Tumblr has done. There's a reason SJW and all of these Tumblr-isms are gaining attention lately. People are starting to see this site for what it is. For many people, Tumblr doesn't mean, "cool blog site where you can share all kinds of media" anymore. But rather equates to "incredibly disturbing hole of insane causes, mentally unwell people who complain over every little non-issue, and cause of death for actual feminism and equal rights movements."

Worst about is the crux of this whole Jontron thing. He wasn't insulting actually retarded people. He wasn't wrong in his response either. These people on Tumblr need to lighten up and stop victimizing themselves. Humor is used by many who suffer the injustices that Tumblr is so wrapped up in as a coping mechanism. One of the best ways to take away something's power is to laugh at it.

Zachary Amaranth:
I'm missing the joke. Since "retarded" is considered a derogatory term, there doesn't seem to be any trick here.

The capacity to identify that a slur is used to depict or describe a group is not the same has holding stock in the term yourself, so that's not it.

Can you elaborate?

1: That thing I don't like is so gay!
2: Don't use that word that way!
1: Sorry, didn't know you were gay.

Really not that hard to understand.

Ishal:
There's a reason SJW and all of these Tumblr-isms are gaining attention lately. People are starting to see this site for what it is.

Yes, but not what you seem to think it is.

Tumblr wasn't even the big culprit here. Twitter was. It's telling that you're going after Tumblr anyway, because that's the issue. It's easier to just pigeonhole one site regardless of any actual basis than it is to simply call it out where it exists. It's not called "Twitterisms" or "Facebookisms" or "YouTubeisms" or "Pinterestisms" despite the behaviour existing there as well, because the facts don't matter.

There's a reason people who get buthurt over a lack of white people or males aren't called "Social Justice Warriors," either. It's called "hypocrisy."

Captcha: You win.

Works for me.

loa:

Zachary Amaranth:

Can you elaborate?

1: That thing I don't like is so gay!
2: Don't use that word that way!
1: Sorry, didn't know you were gay.

Really not that hard to understand.

You haven't actually elaborated on how it's funny. You've simply repeated the "joke."

Zachary Amaranth:

They have every right to complain or demand whatever they want. Just as you have a right to dismiss and condemn them. It's still a double standard in action.

I don't condemn them, I ignore them. I said that much in the first post. I'm really not interested in arguing this point anymore.

Zachary Amaranth:

But I empathise with autistics without actually being autistic. Maybe this is a rare trait, but I reeeeeeeally hope it's not.

And on that note, when autistic folks tell me that they don't like to be called "retards," I believe them. It may not hurt your feelings or Salty's feelings or any given person's feelings, but retard is a pejorative and so is retarded.

I can empathize with autistic people. I can't empathize with being offended on the internet by someone calling a piece of electronics retarded.

One is an actual problem, the other is attention seeking bullshit.

mmiki:

I don't condemn them, I ignore them.

Except you're not ignoring them. You're addressing them. That is how we got here in the first place.

Zachary Amaranth:

Except you're not ignoring them. You're addressing them. That is how we got here in the first place.

No, we got to this place by you nitpicking semantics in my post and quoting me out of context.

Zachary Amaranth:

You haven't actually elaborated on how it's funny. You've simply repeated the "joke."

People keep saying how his response was "rude", how shitty and what a big douche he was in his answer.
"Sorry, didn't know you were retarded" is "rude" only if your singular definition of "retarded" is "synonymous for stupid".
So people who call his response "rude" are actually part of the problem they claim to be so outraged about.

mmiki:

1. That's not empathy.
2. Who are you to tell others how they do or do not feel?
3. This is not "ignoring them" as you claim. You keep violating that claim.

mmiki:

No, we got to this place by you nitpicking semantics in my post and quoting me out of context.

You claim I'm 'nitpicking," but that doesn't make it true. On the other hand, there would be nothing to "nitpick" if you actually ignored "these people."

loa:

People keep saying how his response was "rude", how shitty and what a big douche he was in his answer.
"Sorry, didn't know you were retarded" is "rude" only if your singular definition of "retarded" is "synonymous for stupid".
So people who call his response "rude" are actually part of the problem they claim to be so outraged about.

Or if they understand what "context" is, completely undermining your argument.

This is worsened by your "gay" example, as there would be no contextual reason to believe one meant it as anything other than a pejorative.

Zachary Amaranth:

mmiki:

1. That's not empathy.
2. Who are you to tell others how they do or do not feel?
3. This is not "ignoring them" as you claim. You keep violating that claim.

1. Yes it is. Being offended is not a serious medical condition.
2. I don't. I make my own judgement on behavior of other people and their motives.
3. I'm responding to you, not someone who is claiming to be offended, so I don't see how that relates.

Zachary Amaranth:

You claim I'm 'nitpicking," but that doesn't make it true. On the other hand, there would be nothing to "nitpick" if you actually ignored "these people."

You are nitpicking. If I say 'being offended does not give you a right to an apology' and you say 'yes it does, it just doesn't make you entitled to an apology', that is nitpicking. To entitle means to give someone a right to something. Being entitled to something means that you feel like you have a right to something.

Lets just drop this line of discussion because it's getting us nowhere.

Fyrana:
He used "retarded" which in the english language is synonymous for "stupid"

No, I think you will find it is synonymous with serious physical and mental disability, hence the outrage.

It's not about sides, OP. Retarded, like gay, is a pretty discriminatory insult that people probably shouldn't use. People shouldn't overreact to use of it, as there are bigger fish to fry in the world and people are slow to change.

Also, all the anti tumblr bias is getting obnoxious. It's an image sharing and blogging site, just because many people there have opinions doesn't mean we have to stereotype the rough equivalent of google images. People don't speak disparagingly about youtube and there's loads more idiotic and hateful things said in youtube comments.

Joseph Alexander:

Zachary Amaranth:

Saltyk:
As someone who spent a few years in Severely Learning Disabled classes, took years to learn to tie my shoes, and even had difficulty telling the difference between "d" and "b", the Tumblr response is retarded.

Is it your testimony that you speak for all people with disabilities?

If not, saying "it's not an offensive word" is absurd. Not to mention kind of callous.

speaks more for it then your avg person, thats rather obvious.

and yeah, high-functioning case of autism here and as long as someone doesn't call me mentally-retarded outright or in context i don't care, cause retarded on its own just means something is slowed beyond the regular rate.

which is true as a general rule for consoles as electronics, as they're retarded to the point of being almost at a stand still by the time they're developed.

High functioning autistic here as well. The Tumblrites and their ilk are being freaking retarded over this.

To be honest, I always find their kind hilarious because... well. I'm a straight, Christian, White guy who pretty much fits the definition of "Aryan" (Tall, Pale Skin, Blonde) and so their initial response to me is the standard "Fucking white male CIS scum" while if I mention Autism I either become part of the "poor underprivileged minority" or they'd claim I'm "not a real autistic" because apparently self-diagnoses on the internet is far more trustworthy than an actual doctor's words.

Granted, I'll freely admit I've got it a bit easy compared to most with social disabilities. Aspergers pretty much helps me when it comes to school work since I'm actually doing it and getting it done on time. Plus I've worked hard on overcoming some of the social... quirks. As a result the only "downside" I really experience is the occasional awkwardness around new people and being too lazy to set up days to hang out. But that can arguably be chalked up, in most peoples' minds, to me being an "introvert" or some other stuff like that.

I can say with pride that I've worked hard and, as a result, most of the people I knew honestly thought I was joking when I said I had a form of autism.

Haru17:

Also, all the anti tumblr bias is getting obnoxious. It's an image sharing and blogging site, just because many people there have opinions doesn't mean we have to stereotype the rough equivalent of google images. People don't speak disparagingly about youtube and there's loads more idiotic and hateful things said in youtube comments.

Hah, yes.

Someone, on this site, descibed Tumblr as a 'hate group that wants all white cishet men to die'.

It's a persecution complex, nothing more.
People like to have their windmills to fight.

I follow a bunch of feminist and social issues blogs on Tumblr and this site is where I always first hear of all the 'controversies'.

I'm starting to think this site is starting to have the same obsession with Tumblr it has with Sarkeesian, and I'll probably start avoiding these topics here as well.

Also I checked the Jontron tag on Tumblr just now and majority of the posts were on his side?

??

I had to scroll pretty far before I got one anti-Jon, and it was someone saying 'just don't use the word retarded as an insult, ok?'

God, I can't wait for some actual fucking game releases so the Escapist will talk about something other than what some Tumblr twats did or did not do....

I mean, I enjoy a good laugh at idiots as much as the next cis scum poster, but these minutes of hate are getting a bit tiresome now.

Besides, we need to save our hatred for when the game releases spark off the next round of social justice outrages!

Lieju:

Haru17:

Hah, yes.

Someone, on this site, described Tumblr as a 'hate group that wants all white cishet men to die'.

It's a persecution complex, nothing more.
People like to have their windmills to fight.

I follow a bunch of feminist and social issues blogs on Tumblr and this site is where I always first hear of all the 'controversies'.

I'm starting to think this site is starting to have the same obsession with Tumblr it has with Sarkeesian, and I'll probably start avoiding these topics here as well.

Also I checked the Jontron tag on Tumblr just now and majority of the posts were on his side?

??

I had to scroll pretty far before I got one anti-Jon, and it was someone saying 'just don't use the word retarded as an insult, ok?'

Lol, yeah. Last I checked tumblr wasn't trying to string me up. I just saw a bunch of cool art and photography there. I don't think the anti-discrimination groups can ever compare in number or influence to the people who discriminate on illogical basis like race, gender, or sexuality. It's like blaming firefighters for the existence of fire.

Your title is confusing me. Are they mad because he insulted Playstation or because he said retarded? It seems to be the second. It's his own fault for responding to the guy calling him out by calling him retarded. He should apologize to that guy but not his original statement because who cares. Though according to that Tumblr feed, Jon doesn't seem get that and thinks it's about the ps4. Of course, half that Tumblr link couldn't give less of a shit about what Jon does so don't see this being as big as the Tumblr vs 4chan mess

Gee, it sure is Tumblr hate around here. Why do I get the feeling that this wouldn't draw nearly as much ire if the people who were upset weren't from Tumblr? (Well, it would still draw ire, but I don't think it would draw as much)

Jon was being immature and dickish. And people defend him by saying "It's comedy"? That's weird, because last time I checked, comedy was supposed to be funny. Calling a guy who politely asked him not to use a word "retarded" isn't funny. It's childish. I feel like some people are defending him just because he's JonTron. Or because the other side is Tumblr.

Look, I don't like the overly vocal SJW's, either. I also think that political correctness has gotten out of hand and that people need some thicker skin. Trust me, I've been around more people with zero self-distance than I'd like to admit, and people would benefit from learning to have some. Also, I like Jon's videos. I really do. I think his videos are funny, that he is a talented comedian. I just don't think that being a comedian justifies being an ass to a guy who was being polite. Unless I'm missing something here...
(Nor do I think that he's the bastion/saviour of comedy that his fanbase paints him as)

To clarify: I'm not defending Tumblr here (or whoever these people are), but all I see from this conflict is two sides who reacted immaturely. A conflict that should've never existed.

Andy Shandy:

Oh, and if it helps, Tumblr or whoever don't seem to be the only ones throwing insults.

Also, this. Some of JonTron's fanboys can be just as obnoxious and toxic as any other fanbase. Hell, part of the reason I stopped watching Game Grumps was because the reactions from Jon's fanbase didn't really sit well with me. It feels like his fans don't want to watch anything if it doesn't involve him, or stop caring about something if he quits being part of it.
"Welp, Jon's dead, no more reason to watch this now" - Actual quote from one of PeanutButterGamer's Hardcore series. Or, close, at least.

Btw, PeanutButterGamer > JonTron. Just my preferences.

(Also, OP, I feel that the title is more than a little bit biased. Just saying)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked