JonTron insults Platstation Now, Tumblr has a shit fit *UPDATE*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Tumblr has a bitch fit about all kinds of things, and the world at large doesn't care.

Breaking News, Totalbiscuit is a totaltwat. Yeah, him and jontron are a part of polaris ... who would have thought that they would have taken the same side.

TB is obviously very opinionated and sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I think he talks so much shit I wonder if it causes him to have really bad breath, this is one example.

This is a perfect case of somebody shoot their mouth off, then saying "well, technically I am right" ... "you're not wrong you're just an asshole" (though in this case, it was somebody else who used the "dictionary exit"). You didn't say "it's retarded" with the literal, Oxford dictionary meaning in mind, you said it as the first insult that came to mind.

This is clearly a click bait topic for TB. He had no involvement in it, it was a fellow polaris team member that said something stupid and he defended him, though pewdiepie is also polaris but I can't see TB defending him.

I equate JonTron to be something akin to a standup comedian, except on the internet and he has his funny mode on 24/7. Therefore, no matter what he says, shouldn't be taken seriously, even if the joke was bad. So ya, I am going to be on JonTron's side and say that people take things to personally, though if I was him, I would be laughing this up right now. If I was in his shoes and I started such a thing, I would be rolling on the floor laughing as the burning fire of "butthurt" washes over the internet like a tsunami. I applaud JonTron for starting this, it gave me great joy reading all the comments. Some funny stuff man, some funny stuff.

Someone stating their opinion using correct and proper English

Social Justice Warriors say, "You can't use that word" and get offended when they don't retract their statement.

Nothing new here. This is what Social Justice Warriors are all about, making insanely huge mountains out of a 1 cm high pile of dirt.

Is JonTron being a jerk for calling the guy retarded. Meh probably. I don't really care though.

Is he being a douchebag for saying SJW should focus on real horrible issues instead of him using a word in the correct way? Heck no. He's right in that regard. We SHOULD be furious over the fact that 10 Children died just recently in a Israeli sanctioned air strike. Instead SJW would rather we get mad at a guy on the internet for using a word because it MIGHT make someone with less then stellar mental faculties feel bad.

Jon's a comedian like 99% of the time. Nothing much he says should be taken with any seriousness. It also doesn't help when his opposition is perma-butthurt. Pissing of Tumblr is something that people can do simply by inhaling oxygen. Hell, pissing off Tumblr is almost a standard for comedy these days, since there, nobody is allowed to have fun or make jokes that even slightly annoy people.

Good thing I don't care for JonTron anymore. He should have given more toughts on which words to use aswell as learning how to apologize.

Frozengale:
Is he being a douchebag for saying SJW should focus on real horrible issues instead of him using a word in the correct way? Heck no. He's right in that regard. We SHOULD be furious over the fact that 10 Children died just recently in a Israeli sanctioned air strike. Instead SJW would rather we get mad at a guy on the internet for using a word because it MIGHT make someone with less then stellar mental faculties feel bad.

Right, because caring about starving children and thinking someone shouldn't use "Retarded" as an insult are mutually exclusive.

OF COURSE--how could I be so naive as to think that someone could dislike someone else's liberal use of the word "Retarded" AND give a shit about starving children. I sometimes forget that the world is black & white, you know?

Tumblr throws a fit for no reason (and unsurprisingly some of the users on this website), the sky is blue, grass is green and I am ready for the weekend. Anything new going on? Frankly I am glad he stood up for him instead of caving right after. If EVERYONE did the same they would realize their own irrelevance. Instead people apologize which simply results in validating the SJWs already fragile world views.

BarbaricGoose:

Frozengale:

Right, because caring about starving children and thinking someone shouldn't use "Retarded" as an insult are mutually exclusive.

OF COURSE--how could I be so naive as to think that someone could dislike someone else's liberal use of the word "Retarded" AND give a shit about starving children. I sometimes forget that the world is black & white, you know?

As TotalBiscuit pointed out, his use of Retarded is anything but liberal. It's a proper way to describe the situation. And fun fact the human brain can only give attention to so many things. So yes, in some small way people giving a crap about this does take attention away from things that actually matter. Did I ever imply the world is black & white? Did I ever say anything about starving children.

I was pointing out that he's correct that there are actual issues to care about, and it's silly to get mad at a guy on the internet for using a word in a correct context.

They cycle of "retarded" and any other word to describe the mentally handicapped is kind of hilarious in it's own right. As soon as a popular way to describe mental deficiencies becomes a popular way to insult someone we are told not to use the word/description. We then come up with a PC way to refer to mental issues, which then becomes the new insult. And the cycle repeats. So really I see this as a non-issue. People are going to use words that at one point or another referred to someone with mental deficiencies. And guess what, sometimes the use of those words won't have anything to do with people, and will be used in proper context. But people will STILL try to find fault.

Frozengale:
As TotalBiscuit pointed out, his use of Retarded is anything but liberal. It's a proper way to describe the situation. And fun fact the human brain can only give attention to so many things. So yes, in some small way people giving a crap about this does take attention away from things that actually matter. Did I ever imply the world is black & white? Did I ever say anything about starving children.

I was pointing out that he's correct that there are actual issues to care about, and it's silly to get mad at a guy on the internet for using a word in a correct context.

Yeah... that's a load of shit. It's a convenient load of shit, I'll give you that, but I think you know it's a load of shit. There IS a definition of retarded that kind of fits what he said, but let's get a little context here. Just a few posts down he says:

@benhuber I'm sorry I forgot you were retarded, my bad- JonTron (@JonTronShow) August 3, 2014

So right there. Even IF the first post was really him using the correct definition of the word, (Which, as we both know, it wasn't) right there he uses it in the other, dickish way. That's what pissed the tumblr folks off. And he follows it up with:

@JergenBrosco @Davobanjo @benhuber I am nice I just think Political Correctness is stupid- JonTron (@JonTronShow) August 3, 2014

No, he used retarded because it was the first insult that came to mind, political correctness be damned. And say what you will about PC, most people dislike it because they simply want to continue being dicks; enter JonTron. It's not hard to avoid saying a word that rubs people the wrong way. You don't like someone? Call 'em a fucking asshole, if you want. You can CHOOSE to be a fucking stupid asshole, but no one chooses to be retarded, or gay. And personally, I just don't like insulting people for things they have zero control over. But hey--that's just me.

As for the link I posted... you didn't read it, did you? Okay, let me try to explain it to you. Your argument that "People shouldn't care about 'SJW issues' while there are [Insert atrocity/war crime/ebola outbreak HERE]" is a fallacy. You're implying that just because someone takes issue with something relatively small, it somehow makes them unable to care about the world at large. So yeah, you kind of are saying the world is black & white; you either care about these big problems only, or you care about nothing at all, because apparently you can't do both.

And that whole thing about the brain only being able to give so much attention, and that taking attention away from the bigger issues... no. I mean you can't possibly believe that, right? Do I really have to explain why that couldn't possibly be true?

I never understood why people can't say "This __________ sucks" or "Do not waste money on ___________________".

It's not that he had a negative opinion; it's just that he said it in an inappropriate way.

I enjoy Jontron as an online personality/youtuber entertainer and all that, but man, is he digging himself into a deep hole with this. Doesn't help that his hoards of twitter followers harass literally anyone that so much as mention his name. (And by harass I mean resorting to using slurs and general immaturity. Not the "he criticized me!! pls no bully :'c" definition that Jontron himself is using.)

(... case in point.)

BarbaricGoose:

Yeah... that's a load of shit. It's a convenient load of shit, I'll give you that, but I think you know it's a load of shit. There IS a definition of retarded that kind of fits what he said, but let's get a little context here. Just a few posts down he says:

@benhuber I'm sorry I forgot you were retarded, my bad— JonTron (@JonTronShow) August 3, 2014

Followed by:

@JergenBrosco @Davobanjo @benhuber I am nice I just think Political Correctness is stupid— JonTron (@JonTronShow) August 3, 2014

No, he used retarded because it was the first insult that came to mind, political correctness be damned. And say what you will about PC, most people dislike it because they simply want to continue being dicks. It's not hard to avoid saying a word that rubs people the wrong way. You don't like someone? Call 'em a fucking asshole, if you want. You can CHOOSE to be a fucking stupid asshole, but no one chooses to be retarded, or gay. And personally, I just don't like insulting people for things they have zero control over. But hey--that's just me.

As for the link I posted... you didn't read it, did you? Okay, let me try to explain it to you. Your argument that "People shouldn't care about 'SJW issues' while there are [Insert atrocity/war crime/ebola outbreak HERE]" is a fallacy. You're implying that just because someone takes issue with something relatively small, it somehow makes them unable to care about the world at large. So yeah, you kind of are saying the world is black & white; you either care about these big problems only, or you care about nothing at all, because apparently you can't do both.

And that whole thing about the brain only being able to give so much attention, and that taking attention away from the bigger issues... no. I mean you can't possibly believe that, right? Do I really have to explain why that couldn't possibly be true?

Please do expand on that last bit. Because as I understand it the mind does not have an infinite capacity for attention. And while in theory there is an infinite storage capacity for information there is only a limited amount of information that will cross your path and a limited amount of time and energy you can expend for any kind of situation. I mean unless you've discovered a way that I can read up on every event that occurs throughout the world, and focus time and energy into said event. If you've discovered some way that I can give attention to every single event in the world then please elaborate. But as for me, I currently believe in a thing called time. Attention is a factor of time. Attention also requires mental effort. Both time and mental capacity are things that I have in limited quantities. Therefore yes if I focus my attention on one thing, it will inevitably deplete a portion of my supply which I could have given to something else.

Also if you have ever used and of these words:
-Moron
-Spaz
-Imbecile
-Idiot
-Cretin
Then you have used a word that has been used to identify mental deficiencies in a person. Retarded is no different. His first use of the word was to refer to a concept not a person. He then used retarded to refer to the person because in his words he was " ...simply trying to use sarcasm to show the difference in context". IE- Word Play. You know, that thing a comedian does.

I did not read the article because I am well aware of the trope. I will agree that my statement fell under this trope. Kudos to you, I guess. But my other statements still stand I believe.

I also believe JonTron defends himself well enough in this article

I'm still amazed that people manage to get upset by the use of "retarded" as a derogatory term. Unless i'm mistaking retardation is commonly accepted as being something negative (or is there anyone who'd want their children to be retarded?!). And than comes the 1 million dollar question: what's wrong with using a term which describes something negative as a negative descriptor of something else? Unless i'm mistaking the reason why using terms like "Faggot" or "Nigger" as insults is "offensive" is because it implies homosexuality or being black is something "bad". But since retardation is something bad... what's the big deal? Did people run out of pointless things to feel offended by? Or is it attention they lack?

Burnouts3s3:
I never understood why people can't say "This __________ sucks" or "Do not waste money on ___________________".

It's not that he had a negative opinion; it's just that he said it in an inappropriate way.

Calling it is pretty clear short hand for the same thing. The puritanical outrage over profanity that's growing on the interwebs is getting quite hilarious.

QuietlyListening:
Question: Why should one use derogatory words at all, knowing that they can cause pain?

Note, it's not why should one be allowed to do so, but why should one even do it in the first place?

Because life isn't a hug box where you'll never seen any adversity, opposition or pain just from random circumstance. If a word used in a context not meant or aimed at you or a group you belong to in anyway is causing you pain or discomfort, perhaps you need a thicker skin. Perhaps you need to sort out your own self confidence or mental issues, before you expect the world to bend over and change for you. The vast majority of human beings can take an insult, say words like retarded and let the occasional insult roll off them like its nothing. You can't expect everyone else to change how they do things to accommodate a small few who have such fragile egos that can't take anything that might in anyway be related to something they would be insulted by.

Frozengale:
Please do expand on that last bit. Because as I understand it the mind does not have an infinite capacity for attention. And while in theory there is an infinite storage capacity for information there is only a limited amount of information that will cross your path and a limited amount of time and energy you can expend for any kind of situation. I mean unless you've discovered a way that I can read up on every event that occurs throughout the world, and focus time and energy into said event. If you've discovered some way that I can give attention to every single event in the world then please elaborate. But as for me, I currently believe in a thing called time. Attention is a factor of time. Attention also requires mental effort. Both time and mental capacity are things that I have in limited quantities. Therefore yes if I focus my attention on one thing, it will inevitably deplete a portion of my supply which I could have given to something else.

There are A LOT of variables in that block of text right there. And they vary even more from person to person. How much time you're devoting, how you're devoting your time, and how much time you have. I find it hard to believe that your mental faculties are only strong enough to support one... cause... per day? What, do you spend all your free time thinking about war crimes? Are you thinking about them, and talking about them on other forums right now? When you wake up, do you spin a wheel to decide which issue you'll discuss and focus on that day? I don't think you give yourself enough credit.

See, most people are capable of participating in discussions involving more than one subject throughout the day. If we were talking volunteer work, sure--focus on the big problems. But clearly we're not talking about that. In all of our replies, this is the first it's been mentioned, so fuck it: we're talking about more or less meaningless arguments on the internet. The idea that you can't call someone out for being an asshole, AND think that genocide, or children being killed with fucking missiles is horrible is.... well... you know.

I'm arguing with you about JonTron's use of that word, and lo and behold, I STILL think that children dying to missile attacks is an atrocity.

Frozengale:
Also if you have ever used and of these words:
-Moron
-Spaz
-Imbecile
-Idiot
-Cretin
Then you have used a word that has been used to identify mental deficiencies in a person. Retarded is no different. His first use of the word was to refer to a concept not a person. He then used retarded to refer to the person because in his words he was " ...simply trying to use sarcasm to show the difference in context". IE- Word Play. You know, that thing a comedian does.

Yes, words change in meaning over time. This is a thing that happens. And currently, the offensive term for a person lacking in intelligence is "Retard." "Person lacking in intelligence" is probably less than PC too, I realize.

And I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about his first use of the word. I've never heard someone prefix the textbook definition of "Retarded" with "Painfully," especially coming from a gamer rockin' the Amish beard in reference to a gaming console. Yeah, pretty sure that's among the list of things on one will ever hear. Right up there with, "I'm getting fed up with this orgasm!"

And you know what I got from that article? He's a hypocrite. HE APOLOGIZED, and right in the fucking interview he says, when asked about apologizing, "It is an effective way to show that you stand for nothing but advertisement money and for your sponsorships." So I guess we know where JonTron stands, huh? You know, I hadn't even heard of this guy I saw this thread, but fuck--guy's a douche.

I keep seeing this pop up and I have yet to see posts from tumblr in which people are offended. I even clicked your link and I see nobody getting offended. I have no doubt that these posts exist, but I can't really form an opinion without seeing them. Everyone just keeps telling me tumblr overreacted, but I can't help but feel like people are projecting that onto them until I see proof.

BarbaricGoose:
And you know what I got from that article? He's a hypocrite. HE APOLOGIZED, and right in the fucking interview he says, when asked about apologizing, "It is an effective way to show that you stand for nothing but advertisement money and for your sponsorships." So I guess we know where JonTron stands, huh? You know, I hadn't even heard of this guy I saw this thread, but fuck--guy's a douche.

You are really reaching if you believe that is an apology.

0takuMetalhead:
Good thing I don't care for JonTron anymore. He should have given more toughts on which words to use aswell as learning how to apologize.

You don't deserve an apology just because you dislike what someone said.
Get over yourself.

SuperMse:
I keep seeing this pop up and I have yet to see posts from tumblr in which people are offended. I even clicked your link and I see nobody getting offended. I have no doubt that these posts exist, but I can't really form an opinion without seeing them. Everyone just keeps telling me tumblr overreacted, but I can't help but feel like people are projecting that onto them until I see proof.

Nono, it's clearly tumblr. It's all of tumblr. Every fandom blog, every fashion blog, every celebrity gossip blog, every content creator blog, every artist blog, every designer blog, every food blog, every porn blog, every fundamentalist christian blog, every news blog, every music blog. All of tumblr has risen up in a united front against this man, all 100,000,000 blogs. He tried to defy them and he was repelled by this holistic action of the userbase, coming together just like they do every time a straight white man tries to so much as visit the site, to do their noble duty of calling him "cishet scum" in unison until he can only cower away to more diverse corners of the internet.

That's how a hivemind works, right?

cypher-raige:

0takuMetalhead:

Get over yourself.

Calling other people 'retarded' when being given friendly advice is what Jon shouldn't have done.

omega 616:
Breaking News, Totalbiscuit is a totaltwat.

Please don't use that word. It is a derogatory term for a female genitalia and it reinforces harmful patriarchal stereotypes of women.

cypher-raige:

BarbaricGoose:

You are really reaching if you believe that is an apology.

You know, you're actually right. I thought he did offer an apology, be he didn't. Not for the remark, anyway. Not a hypocrite.

I stand by all my other points, though. :)

0takuMetalhead:

cypher-raige:

0takuMetalhead:

Get over yourself.

Calling other people 'retarded' when being given friendly advice is what Jon shouldn't have done.

I don't blame him for standing up to people doing character assassinations of him.
These bullies need to be put in their place.

cypher-raige:

0takuMetalhead:

cypher-raige:

Get over yourself.

I don't blame him for standing up to people doing character assassinations of him.
These bullies need to be put in their place.

I'm refering to this:

Here's an idea, let's focus on what people are actually trying to SAY, rather than on their choice of semantics. I could understand why mentally handicapped people would find it insulting to be compared to Playstation Now, but "mentally handicapped" is not what the word "retarded" meant in that statement and therefore I see no reason for it to be taken offensively.

Burnouts3s3:

Using the word "sucks" in a derogatory sense could be offensive to people who've chosen to take up prostitution as a profession and perform oral sex acts as part of their job.

I understand that you didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but please try to be more considerate in the future. [/sarcasm]

Those now saying everything is offensive are just so original. I've been on the other side of this sort of thing before, but I have no understanding to give to people who think throwing around the word retard as an insult is just a dandy thing to do.

His initial comment was bad enough but excusable as people will say things they don't know to be offensive, and that defense by the ever pathetic TotalBiscuit could in fact be used as a counter. However his response, and than later his talk regarding PC shows he knows the hurtfulness of the word he used and used it anyway, even outright calling someone retarded when they were as civil as possible to him. Yeah yeah I've heard it was all a joke, no you don't joke about such things.
Just try and use such insults on here, in real life, or any other place with common decency while hiding behind jokes and see how far it all goes.

Rozalia1:
Those now saying everything is offensive are just so original. I've been on the other side of this sort of thing before, but I have no understanding to give to people who think throwing around the word retard as an insult is just a dandy thing to do.

His initial comment was bad enough but excusable as people will say things they don't know to be offensive, and that defense by the ever pathetic TotalBiscuit could in fact be used as a counter. However his response, and than later his talk regarding PC shows he knows the hurtfulness of the word he used and used it anyway, even outright calling someone retarded when they were as civil as possible to him. Yeah yeah I've heard it was all a joke, no you don't joke about such things.
Just try and use such insults on here, in real life, or any other place with common decency while hiding behind jokes and see how far it all goes.

I just love the puritanical nature of these kinds of arguments. You have to be pretty thin skinned if you were offended by a relatively benign use of the word retarded. The second statement was kind of douchy but to be fair the guy asking him -publicly- to not use the word retard however "well mannered" it might have been was being equally douchy. If he really had a serious issue he should have done the mature thing and sent him a private message about it, instead being a self important prick and giving someone a public scolding for a minor incident.

You don't joke about people being stupid? I thought that was kind of the core of humor. Making fun of stupid, illogical and horrible things to kind of cope with it all. Laughing off the pain of and anxiety of life and how clueless humans are in the face of it. A man falls down a manhole and dies. That's comedy, that's a joke, and when delivered correctly, it's fucking hilarious. If that offends you, so what? Who cares what offends you or a subset of people. Certainly not some shmuck across the country who makes a living trying and succeeding to make people laugh, who until now had used the word retarded time and time again in his comedy with no one caring. Anyone who thinks they should be exempt from being offended, or have their ego poked fun of shouldn't be anywhere near comedy or comedians because your going to find yourself quickly getting angry at being reminded how little the world or just about anyone on it truly cares about your precious feelings. At the end of the day, your feelings don't count for much and people shouldn't have to change the way they live to accommodate elses feelings.

Well that escalated quickly. :( I love tumblr but they take the social justice thing too far some times.

Who the fuck is JonTron? If he's just another voice on the internet, fuck him. He's a fart in a wind tunnel, no matter how loud or much he stinks he doesn't really matter.

jpz719:
Jon's a comedian like 99% of the time. Nothing much he says should be taken with any seriousness. It also doesn't help when his opposition is perma-butthurt. Pissing of Tumblr is something that people can do simply by inhaling oxygen. Hell, pissing off Tumblr is almost a standard for comedy these days, since there, nobody is allowed to have fun or make jokes that even slightly annoy people.

I can totally tell from your post that you have totally used Tumblr before and have a complete working knowledge of how the site works, what kind of things are regularly posted and where, and of the decently sized Jontron fanbase there.

ayvee:

SuperMse:

Nono, it's clearly tumblr. It's all of tumblr. Every fandom blog, every fashion blog, every celebrity gossip blog, every content creator blog, every artist blog, every designer blog, every food blog, every porn blog, every fundamentalist christian blog, every news blog, every music blog. All of tumblr has risen up in a united front against this man, all 100,000,000 blogs. He tried to defy them and he was repelled by this holistic action of the userbase, coming together just like they do every time a straight white man tries to so much as visit the site, to do their noble duty of calling him "cishet scum" in unison until he can only cower away to more diverse corners of the internet.

That's how a hivemind works, right?

10/10 A+ Post
This basically sums up the entire issue minus people debating about the word "retarded" and Jontron using it.
/thread

I don't even know who this JonTron is, and based on these interactions I don't want to know him because he comes off as an absolute asshole. Calling someone (a fan of his, presumably) retarded for telling him to not use the word retarded is the douchiest thing he could have done. Either ignore him (a pretty easy thing to do on Twitter) or discuss it like an adult. He reacted like a nine year-old.

But that doesn't make Ben Huber right. Being offended by words is a choice. You decide to read into it. You decide that calling PS Now retarded is an insult to all mentally handicapped people. I was strongly reminded of this scene from Shameless:

This lady wants to ban the word because she "doesn't want anybody calling [her] son that", without giving a flying shit about what actual people with disabilities think about it. She doesn't lobby for that for her son, it's for her own benefit, because it makes her feels better. Assuming Ben doesn't have a disability, he's doing the exact same thing. I can understand black people not wanting non-blacks saying nigger; that word refers to them. Trying to ban words from common parlance because, quote, "it could hurt people" is hypocritical. You're not doing it for them, you're doing it for yourself.

Olas:
I could understand why mentally handicapped people would find it insulting to be compared to Playstation Now....

I've no interest in getting involved in this "controversy", seeing as I have a great distaste for those at it's core, however I just HAD to thank you for this line.

Whether intentional or not, you've made me laugh so suddenly that I just about spit my drink out onto my keyboard.

Thank you, good sir.

Kalezian:

or, unless it's still too difficult to understand, it's a joke that a bunch of 4th graders would make on the playground

So it's funny in the sense that rain on your wedding day is ironic?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked