Feminist Frequency posts critics' personal info on Twitter

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

http://gintaxalvissforever.tumblr.com/post/91880828757/anita-sarkeesian-is-doxing-to-those-who-dont

NOTE: I will not post directly to twitter. That is against the rules and ethics.

This is part 2 of ultratwinkie's internet drama electric boogaloo coverage. The Escapist's finest purveyor of internet drama since about 2009. This a story that has gone viral after 2 weeks of people not noticing it and its worth talking about.

I know she's been done to death, but this is much more clear cut and obvious.

Feminist Frequency's twitter has posted the personal information of 2 of Anita Sarkeesian's critics, even IP addresses and emails. A Tumblr user screencapped the tweets, which are still up, and has been showing them as proof. This is known as doxxing.

IPs change dynamically, so they could be safe, but some unlucky few have static IPs. They also say that an IP doesn't equal a person in the court of law. Protection isn't guaranteed.

Doxing is illegal, and unethical. It uses the internet to fight your battles for you by posting personal information on the internet in the hopes of a stranger doing the dirty work for you. Twitter users have taken issue with the posts, but so far nothing has been done. However, today reddit picked up on it and is currently on the top of /r/ Tumblrinaction. Its one of the few posts that praises Tumblr, which is a rare honor.

People say its a troll account, that anita isn't that clueless to do something illegal in a public place, but its been in service since 2009 and has all the credentials. That is way too long for a troll account to exist.

Others say that Anita did it unintentionally and didn't see the significance of an IP address. Others say she did and she was publicly shaming people with plausible deniability. Its still debated.

So what do you think? Does this change anything? The way you view her or her work? Do you think she did it intentionally or unintentionally?

captcha: stay safe.

I sure hope everyone does.

Nope they're definitely there on her twitter account right now.

She has Doxed them.

I'm not surprised. I've been making sure to keep informed in the background and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a calculated move to cause more people to be angry at her.

I mean Tropes vs Women episode 3 has been carried on maybe 1 site and is getting far less views. She's realised she's fading into obscurity again so since it's release we've had the following along with the Doxing.

A public announcement that her and another leading feminist were going to be streaming games on twitch.
Her cutting the stream short (apparently) and claiming the reason was the amount of a abuse seen in chat.

Her Calling for Twitter to allow people themselves to instant ban people
Her Calling for twitch to allow broadcasters to ban people from the whole of twitch (not just their room)

Her linking to an article entitled how men can show their support for feminism including such golden sage pieces of advice as Do more than 50% of the housework and emotional support, and cooking. split the household income 50 50 between you to make sure you both get an equal share but then you are responsible for paying for all the costs of contraceptives because you earn more despite having split the money equally already. If someone tells you something is sexist they are right don't question them. Get the HPV vaccination yourself, because it's unfair women should have to put up with the risk of vaccination side effects considering how much of a risk the disease is to them compared to men hence men should be the ones vaccinated and taking some risk (Look that's what the article says my opinion is vaccinations are safe to the nth degree and the risk of getting vaccinated is one micron the size of the disease it helps prevent). Change your name to her surname when you get married. If you're being nagged then you're doing something wrong and need to correct it not claim nagging is a problem. Befriend women but don't approach them in public and talk to them. Don't sit with your legs spread (sorry but my balls and penis require room). Get in the habit of treating your maleness as an unearned privilege that you have to actively work to cede rather than femaleness being an unearned disadvantage that women have to work to overcome, so feel bad for being born male and feel you have to work for the privilege and it's not simply something you can't control. Oh and this gem Be subordinate to women.

Anita is trying to stir up a hornets nest and going out of her way to bait people to insult or attack her en mass again. However it's not happening as people can see it's her trying to cling onto her relevance in the debate.

I mean seriously Anita can't be dumb enough to publicly announce she will be twitch streaming and then act surprised when her critics address her when presented a public forum to do it in (Though many may have done it in the wrong way) Nor is she so dumb to not realise you can ban people in chat who are abusive. But no she cut the stream short apparently due to the abuse.

I think Anita knows exactly what she's doing at this point. The problem is it's not working. People have seen the act before so she's going to more extreme lengths to get a reaction.

I feel like it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to look at those tweets and view Anita, who gets called an "extremely dumb", "willfully ignorant", "malicious", "manipulative", "faux-intellectual", "greedy", "disgusting", "lying" "whore"/"pig"/"cunt"/"cunt"/"cunt" (three times!) who should "crawl back into the hole [she] came from" within the course of two emails as the bad guy.

SHE IS JUST A YOUTUBER.

SHE MAKES VIDEOS ON THE INTERNET.

SOME PEOPLE CONSIDER THESE VIDEOS TO NOT BE WORTH THE MONEY A BUNCH OF OTHER PEOPLE PAID FOR THEM.

THAT. DOESN'T. MATTER.

Edit: dammit, this was supposed to be one of those rage posts that I just delete after the fact. Posted it by accident, but whatever, it's done. Feel free to pick all the holes you want in my argument (I already get the idea that my post has nothing to do with the core doxxing, but I'd argue that if it was anyone else posting a screencap of an email like that they wouldn't be criticised), but I'm so sick of people feeling like it's normal fucking behavior to attack someone because they're on the other side of the internet and said something they disagree with.

And yeah, sorry to the mods for posting in this thread and probably sparking a hundred pages of pointless 'debate'. It was an accident.

Edit 2: don't want to bump the thread, but just an amendment - this post was a spur-of-the-moment thing brought on by seeing a discussion on another site. Anita's definitely in the wrong for doxxing (though I wouldn't discount ignorance as a possibility, she just screencapped an email from what I can see), but that's not an excuse for any of the random personal attacks on her that are bound to show up in this thread for the next sixty pages. This topic will get derailed, people will get banned, and there'll be the same arguments played out for the nintieth time for no reason. Anita's such a toxic topic on these forums for whatever reason that I honestly feel any threads mentioning her should just be locked. Or maybe we should just add a subforum on Religion and Politics dedicated to her.

Edit 3: 7 pages. I can't

SirBryghtside:
I feel like it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to look at those tweets and view Anita, who gets called an "extremely dumb", "willfully ignorant", "malicious", "manipulative", "faux-intellectual", "greedy", "disgusting", "lying" "whore"/"pig"/"cunt"/"cunt"/"cunt" (three times!) who should "crawl back into the hole [she] came from" within the course of two emails as the bad guy.

SHE IS JUST A YOUTUBER.

SHE MAKES VIDEOS ON THE INTERNET.

SOME PEOPLE CONSIDER THESE VIDEOS TO NOT BE WORTH THE MONEY A BUNCH OF OTHER PEOPLE PAID FOR THEM.

THAT. DOESN'T. MATTER.

Edit: dammit, this was supposed to be one of those rage posts that I just delete after the fact. Posted it by accident, but whatever, it's done. Feel free to pick all the holes you want in my argument (I already get the idea that my post has nothing to do with the core doxxing, but I'd argue that if it was anyone else posting a screencap of an email like that they wouldn't be criticised), but I'm so sick of people feeling like it's normal fucking behavior to attack someone because they're on the other side of the internet and said something they disagree with.

And yeah, sorry to the mods for posting in this thread and probably sparking a hundred pages of pointless 'debate'. It was an accident.

Two wrongs don't make a right and to be honest I don't think it should be let slip by. I mean she's in the public eye now and is dissecting games claiming they're fair game because they're in the public eye and yet her she is essentially committing a criminal act. Not a legally grey copyright creative commons issue but actually one seen as wrong.

I doubt anyone other than idiots has ever defended a Doxing anywhere be it when Boxxy got Doxed or any number of other people.

You either fight back yourself or you publish the stuff adjusting the persons identity.

This isn't simply finding out the name of a PR agent or something either this is someone posting the personal email account and IP of a person.

I have no idea how things should follow from here. She's entering territory where she's not just an annoyance, but becoming a threat to any one that slightly disagrees. But you can't retaliate because then she'll martyr herself and send her feminazi squad to raze cities and what not, and possibly even gain more support, more publicity, and suddenly she'll be relavent again. She's doing this to get people to look at her, but the problem is that at a certain point you can't take some acts,such as doxing, sitting down. It's just a bad situation all around, and it will end up working out for her in the end, because she's already garnered scorn, so adding more doesn't affect her to the people that never liked her to begin with, but it strengthens the resolve of her dedicated fans.

She's done this shit before on her tumblr account - naming and shaming critics who were rude to her, with the justification of showing some of the abuse she got (and fair enough, all the quotes she selected were rude and abusive) but linking directly to the perpetrator's Twitter accounts so that - if her Tumblrettes so wished - they could with one simple click be shouting counter-abuse at the users. And that's precisely what happened.

Now, fair enough, nobody's obliged to silently take verbal abuse. But when Sarkeesian stoops to the same methods as the "trolls" she's been denouncing since forever, doesn't that slightly weaken her image as the damsel in this?

Well that's not cool, under pretty much any circumstances. On the other hand, just skimming the message shows this guy clearly had it coming, so it's no skin off my nose.

Perhaps he will be more polite in the future.

klaynexas3:
I have no idea how things should follow from here. She's entering territory where she's not just an annoyance, but becoming a threat to any one that slightly disagrees. But you can't retaliate because then she'll martyr herself and send her feminazi squad to raze cities and what not, and possibly even gain more support, more publicity, and suddenly she'll be relavent again. She's doing this to get people to look at her, but the problem is that at a certain point you can't take some acts,such as doxing, sitting down. It's just a bad situation all around, and it will end up working out for her in the end, because she's already garnered scorn, so adding more doesn't affect her to the people that never liked her to begin with, but it strengthens the resolve of her dedicated fans.

Did you even read it? This wasn't "Slightly disagreeing". Get serious dude, your bias is showing.

The double moral in this thread is delicious.
Anita Sarkeesian and feminists get doxxed with everything including real name and home address along with comments that implies the doxxers want others to harass the doxxed people (and don't mind if the doxxed people get physically hurt): "It ain't that bad"/"Them are just trolls"/"She has it coming for being so hateful against men". Two hostile haters attacking Sarkeesian has their IP-number and e-mail revealed in two screenshots, possibly by mistake: "ANITA ARE DOXXING THEM, THIS MUCH WRONG! VERY RAGE!"

Now, doxxing ain't cool and no matter if Sarkeesian intended for it to be doxxing or not, she made a mistake at best and some unethical shit at worst. But just looking at the pictures makes it obvious that the real victim here is Sarkeesian, who only responds to a vicious attack on her person.

With that I am out of this thread so that the circle jerking hate fest against Sarkeesian that usually ensues can continue uninterrupted. Enjoy.

Even if most IP addresses are dynamic, she still has their email up (which, in all honesty, is even worse). That's honestly the point where I draw the line with Anita. I don't entirely agree with much she says, her issues with copyright may be due to how awkward the fair use section can be but doxxing and giving away other people's email almost as bad as publicly giving away someone's home address.

She could have just got some money to make some videos on youtube, respond to those who took things too far but doing the same bullying techniques as Anonymous. She really isn't any better than the people that she is being victimized by.

So...she posted the two e-mails of people who called her a cunt....and? I posted a message of a guy who sent me a death threat. Am I just as bad as her?

The_Kodu:
Nope they're definitely there on her twitter account right now.

She has Doxed them.

I'm not surprised. I've been making sure to keep informed in the background and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a calculated move to cause more people to be angry at her.

I mean Tropes vs Women episode 3 has been carried on maybe 1 site and is getting far less views. She's realised she's fading into obscurity again so since it's release we've had the following along with the Doxing.

A public announcement that her and another leading feminist were going to be streaming games on twitch.
Her cutting the stream short (apparently) and claiming the reason was the amount of a abuse seen in chat.

Her Calling for Twitter to allow people themselves to instant ban people
Her Calling for twitch to allow broadcasters to ban people from the whole of twitch (not just their room)

Her linking to an article entitled how men can show their support for feminism including such golden sage pieces of advice as Do more than 50% of the housework and emotional support, and cooking. split the household income 50 50 between you to make sure you both get an equal share but then you are responsible for paying for all the costs of contraceptives because you earn more despite having split the money equally already. If someone tells you something is sexist they are right don't question them. Get the HPV vaccination yourself, because it's unfair women should have to put up with the risk of vaccination side effects considering how much of a risk the disease is to them compared to men hence men should be the ones vaccinated and taking some risk (Look that's what the article says my opinion is vaccinations are safe to the nth degree and the risk of getting vaccinated is one micron the size of the disease it helps prevent). Change your name to her surname when you get married. If you're being nagged then you're doing something wrong and need to correct it not claim nagging is a problem. Befriend women but don't approach them in public and talk to them. Don't sit with your legs spread (sorry but my balls and penis require room). Get in the habit of treating your maleness as an unearned privilege that you have to actively work to cede rather than femaleness being an unearned disadvantage that women have to work to overcome, so feel bad for being born male and feel you have to work for the privilege and it's not simply something you can't control. Oh and this gem Be subordinate to women.

Anita is trying to stir up a hornets nest and going out of her way to bait people to insult or attack her en mass again. However it's not happening as people can see it's her trying to cling onto her relevance in the debate.

I mean seriously Anita can't be dumb enough to publicly announce she will be twitch streaming and then act surprised when her critics address her when presented a public forum to do it in (Though many may have done it in the wrong way) Nor is she so dumb to not realize you can ban people in chat who are abusive. But no she cut the stream short apparently due to the abuse.

I think Anita knows exactly what she's doing at this point. The problem is it's not working. People have seen the act before so she's going to more extreme lengths to get a reaction.

First off, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose or risk of "Doxxing" is.
And second off, isn't that argument she's putting out the same argument that the patriarchy put out to put women down? It sure sounds like it. It's just more proof that feminism is a cancer upon society.

Seems pretty hypocritical: campaigning against misogyny, then borrowing a tactic from 4chan.

And the mention of Sarkieesian makes the entire internet act like 5th graders again. . . Seriously, if you don't like her, ignore her. That is what I do with Sarah Palin and Kim Kardashian. It actually works out really well, and I live a life with much lower stress because of it. Just let go. It is ok, everything will be fine.

Mcoffey:
Well that's not cool, under pretty much any circumstances. On the other hand, just skimming the message shows this guy clearly had it coming, so it's no skin off my nose.

I thought victim blaming was a big no-no? Have the rules changed or something?

There is a problem with female games are treated in gaming culture. There is an issue with how female characters are written and portrayed as well. And there needs to be more critics who address this issue, who analyze it and come up with solutions.

However, Anita Sarkeesian is not that person. Her arguments are utter crap, she seems to have a 100-foot overview of gaming, and is simply not capable of analyzing these issues, however "scientific" she claims her methods are.

Why do I keep clicking on these threads...?

Anyways, good. Let the internet fight. It is the way of things. Let's hope some real dens of inequity on the internet start getting involved so we can have a real shit storm.

No, no, haven't you heard? They're "fake tweets", everyone who saw them on her account must have been hallucinating. They've all disappeared from her feed, and just to let us know that she is being oppressed again Anita informed us with this:

Just FYI harassers are creating and distributing more fake tweets in a desperate frantic attempt to discredit me and my project... again.

Poor Anita. The evil hateful cisgender male patriarchy is obviously oppressing her because she is the patron saintess of feminism.

ToastiestZombie:

Mcoffey:

I thought victim blaming was a big no-no? Have the rules changed or something?

That assumes this person is a victim. If someone commits a crime and is punished for it, I blame the perpetrator of the crime. If someone calls a person a "lying whore", a "greedy cunt", and a "disgusting pig", and that person retaliates -again, in a pretty uncool manner- then I can't find much sympathy for that person, nor can I call them a victim of anything but their own douchebaggery.

GalanDun:

First off, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose or risk of "Doxxing" is.

Doxxing is an abbreviation of "document tracing" and it's done through the internet that culminates in the person getting doxxed having their personal information posted publicly. This could include personal e-mails, IP addresses, home address, etc. It's also illegal.

Interesting, whatever she started out as it's clear she's become a "geraldo" of the feminist movement. Does she has a positive following at this point or is everyone just watching for the inevitable collapse of this feminist frequency thing?

Don't get me wrong big feminist here but I just haven't seen anything positive or progressive in or spring from her show. That's why I call her a Geraldo or a Jerry Springer. This doxxing is just making sure to keep her in the spotlight. I can't see it being unintentional.

Welp, just waiting for the catfight on the Internets to ensue.

Anita has long since passed into obscurity for me, I believe it'll be up to a more educated post-Second Wave and Third Wave feminists to discuss and spearhead these issues. Anita is good about whining, pointing fingers, and pointing out the obvious. But where ARE my games that talk about women's issues? Where are my games where we can experience a woman's unabashed POV, the psychology of their world and challenges they face?

Many feminists are good at raising a ruckus, but where's Gaming's Judy Chicago, Georgia O'Keefe, and Suzanne Lacey?

Instead we get Anita lowering herself to trolldom, so good riddance to it all. I'll stand on my ivory tower and demand a game that tries to address these issues, rather than twitter antics.

What I find most amusing is how this guy is being referred to as a "critic" or "a party that slightly disagrees with her". I realize the Anti-Sarkeesian Soldiery (Can this be coined as a parallel to SJW?) are determined to make her look as bad as possible at every turn, but people might actually be a bit more receptive to listening to a cause if it was presented with a bit less bias

You know why Anita Sarkeesian is popular? Her "critics". Every person who's absolutely intent on proving that she's not a real gamer, that she's a shady harlot trying scam people out of her money (People got less upset about a POTATO SALAD being funded for $55 000). The people who get absolutely enraged over her trying to criticize their games and claim that female gamers should be getting more attention. You give people reason to listen to her, and she's been publicized considerably more by those trying to build a campaign against her.

I more or less agree with her stance, and I haven't watched a video of hers since the second one she made. Her delivery kind of sucks and there's plenty of people who do the job better than her. It's her overzealous detractors who keep her alive, give her a purpose and keep her in the spotlight. If people said "Eh, I don't really agree with her because of X" instead of trying to convince the world she was Satan nobody would have cared and you'd have far fewer people being convinced that maybe she's right. So I supposed you should pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

OT:
That was a pretty stupid thing for her to do. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but she's kind of weakening the high ground she had here.

That being said, I'm far less concerned about someone's personal information being outed for calling her a slut, whore and whatnot than for making feminist videos. Or should I be saying "For leveling well thought out criticism to her videos" since this guy's just an average joe who disagrees with her?

Being one of the people who A) Never paid any attention to her videos in the slightest B) Didn't really care what she had to say and C) Found the claims she was making to be making pointless, I think it's come to the point that we can't just stand by and let her get away with it. Doxxing is one of the worst things you can do on the internet, due to it opening up many more doors than just simply giving away someone's address does. When you give away people's home address, it takes some effort for people to go and send them a letter, or go to the persons house. When you give away someone's email, it takes almost no effort to pop open a tab, open outlook and send a hateful email to the person.

Now the question is what can we do about it?

Mcoffey:
[quote="ToastiestZombie" post="9.857150.21238851"]
That assumes this person is a victim. If someone commits a crime and is punished for it, I blame the perpetrator of the crime. If someone calls a person a "lying whore", a "greedy cunt", and a "disgusting pig", and that person retaliates -again, in a pretty uncool manner- then I can't find much sympathy for that person, nor can I call them a victim of anything but their own douchebaggery.

What makes what you're different than saying someone deserves to be sexually assaulted for wearing a skimpy outfit or being sexually provocative? Doxxing is a crime in America, speech is not, so in SJW terms this guy is a victim because he had something illegal done to him for doing something legal.

...Does what that guy sent her even count as criticism? Seriously, since when has "you're a lying whore" and "you're such a greedy cunt" been seen as actual criticism instead of, I don't know, mindless, pathetic insults that anyone with a fucking brain would know she could turn around and use to bolster her own support? Is this what it means to be blinded by rage, to just want to lash out at someone and achieve absolutely nothing at best and help the person you dislike at worst?

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I should probably step out before the usual bullshit starts flooding in.

ToastiestZombie:

Mcoffey:
[quote="ToastiestZombie" post="9.857150.21238851"]

What makes what you're different than saying someone deserves to be sexually assaulted for wearing a skimpy outfit or being sexually provocative? Doxxing is a crime in America, speech is not, so in SJW terms this guy is a victim because he had something illegal done to him for doing something legal.

Because wearing sexually provocative clothing is fine, and calling someone a whore/cunt/bitch for not sharing your opinion isn't. Do I really need to explain how it's different to you? But you're using "SJW", a stupid term used by stupid people, so maybe I do.

She shouldn't have doxxed him. He shouldn't have been a douche. I don't feel bad for him suffering for his bad behavior.

Mcoffey:
[quote="ToastiestZombie" post="9.857150.21238940"]

Because wearing sexually provocative clothing is fine, and calling someone a whore/cunt/bitch for not sharing your opinion isn't. Do I really need to explain how it's different to you? But you're using "SJW", a stupid term used by stupid people, so maybe I do.

She shouldn't have doxxed him. He shouldn't have been a douche. I don't feel bad for him suffering for his bad behavior.

I's legal so no matter what he said he's a victim. Arbitrarily saying what's "fine" or not to justify victim blaming whilst at the same time critiquing it in other situations is a surefire way to hypocrisy.

Typical Anita tactis. If someone disagrees with you, doxx/harass/publicly shame them. There comes a point where trolling for attention blows up in your face, and gets your ass banned. I sincerely hope this is the case. Her twitter and tumblr are fucking homes for ad hominen attacks against her critics.

Well the mails written were not really diplomatic to say the least... BUT, this doesn't justify doxxing. Not in the least. She escalated a legally frowned upon act to an illegal despised act. Therefor both individuals are in the wrong, and since her act is worse she's even worse than the ones she's criticizing.

jpz719:
Typical Anita tactis. If someone disagrees with you, doxx/harass/publicly shame them. There comes a point where trolling for attention blows up in your face, and gets your ass banned. I sincerely hope this is the case. Her twitter and tumblr are fucking homes for ad hominen attacks against her critics.

To be fair, the mails weren't just "criticism", they were quite rude. (But still doesn't justify what she did)

ToastiestZombie:

Mcoffey:
[quote="ToastiestZombie" post="9.857150.21238940"]

I's legal so no matter what he said he's a victim. Arbitrarily saying what's "fine" or not to justify victim blaming whilst at the same time critiquing it in other situations is a surefire way to hypocrisy.

Someone needs to introduce you to the term "False equivalence", because that is what you are currently doing.

Instigating a confrontation wherein you become the "victim" of a crime is not the same thing as being raped.

Well, this further's the notion that Anita is less about action, more about griping. I generally avoid her twitter and tumblr accounts because its full of trash rather than stuff that's pertinent to the Feminist cause or ways of promoting women and better portrayals into the gaming industry.

She was a one-trick pony, and that doesn't do much to help bring the actual change I want to see.

This lady, is a massive jerk. Why does the world revolve around massive jerks? Why do massive jerks have such an easy time making money? Massive Jerk: I WANT MONEY. Internet: OKAY HERE YA GO! Massive Jerk: FUCK YOU ALL! Internet: THX PRETY LADY!

As far as I'm concerned everyone is at fault here. Anita is at fault for starting this pointless bloody debate solely for the purpose of getting attention, all the abuse throwers are at fault for giving her the attention she is looking for, everyone stooping to unethical and illegal behavior should be ashamed of themselves and turn themselves in for the betterment of society. I mean come on guys, ignore her and she will fade into obscurity.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked