Feminist Frequency posts critics' personal info on Twitter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

NuclearKangaroo:

Jonathan Hornsby:

NuclearKangaroo:
another day in the people's republic of tumblr

SJWs are really pumping up the love and tolerance today

A quick digression, did it ever occur to you that the reason SJWs are a thing is because our culture is currently over saturated with intolerant assholes who use the internet as a sword and their misunderstanding of free speech as a shield?

"our culture is currently over saturated with intolerant assholes"

you absolutely dont know the meaning of those words, you truthly dont, if you lived in say, certain parts of the middle east, where women are genuinely oppressed and homosexual people are hanged, youd know what an intolerant asshole is

these people are just whining, plain and simple

Intolerance is intolerance. The difference between hanging someone for being homosexual and simply calling them a derogatory name is measured only in degrees.

Guy who wrote the first email is an ass, and the second probably should've chosen different language, but regardless of that you don't post other people's information like this. This is especially true if you have a decent number of followers. And, ya know, it's illegal. Seriously, people defending this need to take a step back. They insulted her, called her names, and said they hate what she's done/what she stands for. They did not threaten her. That is no excuse to fucking dox someone. Doxxing can be really fucking serious.

And for those saying anyone criticizing what she's done here were fine with her getting and her supporters getting doxxed? Seriously, what's wrong with you that you can lump everyone who disagrees with you in together that easily and not realize it? Not everyone who doesn't like her supports shit like that happening to her, and a big part of the backlash against her was because everyone who disagrees with her was getting lumped in with those assholes and that pissed them off.

NuclearKangaroo:

Considering the source decrying her was a Tumblr account, and the number of Tumblr users sharing and liking the page, how is this a knock on Tumblr? Or is this another group to hate so severely as to ignore any and all evidence to the contrary?

I believe he can now sue for legal liability because she published his personal information without consent.
If he manages a large enough award for damages, maybe she won't be able to afford any more videos and will finally disappear forever.

One can only hope...

Zachary Amaranth:

NuclearKangaroo:

Considering the source decrying her was a Tumblr account, and the number of Tumblr users sharing and liking the page, how is this a knock on Tumblr? Or is this another group to hate so severely as to ignore any and all evidence to the contrary?

You know that it is. At least in the people's republic of the escapist.

lax4life:

GalanDun:

First off, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose or risk of "Doxxing" is.

Doxxing is an abbreviation of "document tracing" and it's done through the internet that culminates in the person getting doxxed having their personal information posted publicly. This could include personal e-mails, IP addresses, home address, etc. It's also illegal.

Okay then, that's a good explanation.
I first heard about Sarkesian from Jim Sterling. I didn't know a single thing about her before then.

infinity_turtles:
Guy who wrote the first email is an ass, and the second probably should've chosen different language, but regardless of that you don't post other people's information like this. This is especially true if you have a decent number of followers. And, ya know, it's illegal. Seriously, people defending this need to take a step back. They insulted her, called her names, and said they hate what she's done/what she stands for. They did not threaten her. That is no excuse to fucking dox someone. Doxxing can be really fucking serious.

I don't think this is really Doxxing man. She didn't purposely dig up that information and then post it telling people they should go harass these two.

It was in the e-mail. The information was handed straight to her. If people wanna complain about security, that seems like the bigger issue. Her only crime was not cropping it out so people would believe her.

Also, having seen quite a lot of Doxx attacking in some video games, one's IP address and E-mail are stupid easy to obtain. So many service don't hide that stuff.

At worst, this is an honest mistake on her part. At best, it's another round of petty bull thrown at Anita for her work.

Mcoffey:

Because wearing sexually provocative clothing is fine, and calling someone a whore/cunt/bitch for not sharing your opinion isn't. Do I really need to explain how it's different to you? But you're using "SJW", a stupid term used by stupid people, so maybe I do.

Both of them are perfectly legal. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech. You could call it hate speech but that's an uphill battle.

Mcoffey:

Someone needs to introduce you to the term "False equivalence", because that is what you are currently doing.

Instigating a confrontation wherein you become the "victim" of a crime is not the same thing as being raped.

Umm. No that's special pleading. This is a 5 year old's defense. "he started it"

All I can say to this is thank you for proving Christopher Hitchens right once again.

"I learned that very often the most intolerant and narrow-minded people are the ones who congratulate themselves on their tolerance and open-mindedness."

ayvee:

You know that it is. At least in the people's republic of the escapist.

In fairness, it's not just the Escapist. This is everywhere.

It's just especially strange coming from people who accuse folks like Anita of being liars or cons or dishonest.

Supdupadog:

I don't think this is really Doxxing man. She didn't purposely dig up that information and then post it telling people they should go harass these two.

It was in the e-mail. The information was handed straight to her. If people wanna complain about security, that seems like the bigger issue. Her only crime was not cropping it out so people would believe her.

Also, having seen quite a lot of Doxx attacking in some video games, one's IP address and E-mail are stupid easy to obtain. So many service don't hide that stuff.

At worst, this is an honest mistake on her part. At best, it's another round of petty bull thrown at Anita for her work.

If it's an honest mistake on her part, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were as most people seem to not understand the risks involved in publishing this sort of infroamtion, then that's one thing. That's a legitimate defense of her character for this sort of thing, but the Publication of Private Facts are illegal because of the risks involved. When you have a large audience, you have a responsibility not to do shit that could endanger other people through that audience, such as say handing people's information to that audience.

Ha, the woman who used victimization to gain notoriety is now victimizing someone else and is advocating it. That alone is funny. The rest I don't care about. She is surely on her way out soon. Self destruct mode has been initiated.

Gethsemani:
The double moral in this thread is delicious.
Anita Sarkeesian and feminists get doxxed with everything including real name and home address along with comments that implies the doxxers want others to harass the doxxed people (and don't mind if the doxxed people get physically hurt): "It ain't that bad"/"Them are just trolls"/"She has it coming for being so hateful against men". Two hostile haters attacking Sarkeesian has their IP-number and e-mail revealed in two screenshots, possibly by mistake: "ANITA ARE DOXXING THEM, THIS MUCH WRONG! VERY RAGE!"

Now, doxxing ain't cool and no matter if Sarkeesian intended for it to be doxxing or not, she made a mistake at best and some unethical shit at worst. But just looking at the pictures makes it obvious that the real victim here is Sarkeesian, who only responds to a vicious attack on her person.

With that I am out of this thread so that the circle jerking hate fest against Sarkeesian that usually ensues can continue uninterrupted. Enjoy.

Well Geth unless you can prove that the people raising issue are the same as the ones who were apologetic when she was doxed than your unfairly lumping them together to build an illegitimate argument.

In other news, everyone is horrible.

Anita was wrong. Her critic was wrong. Her fans are wrong. Everyone everywhere is wrong. Why do Anita stories always turn out this way? Lord, her critics are awful, but she can't help but surrender the high ground. Just let it go. If she gets in trouble for this then it's her fault for being goaded into it, but don't ask me to sympathize with her "victims" either.

infinity_turtles:

Supdupadog:

If it's an honest mistake on her part, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were as most people seem to not understand the risks involved in publishing this sort of infroamtion, then that's one thing. That's a legitimate defense of her character for this sort of thing, but the Publication of Private Facts are illegal because of the risks involved. When you have a large audience, you have a responsibility not to do shit that could endanger other people through that audience, such as say handing people's information to that audience.

I don't disagree that it's an important thing to be aware of when sharing something. I didn't think about harassing the guys in the e-mails, but I'm sure there is some out there with too much time on their hands who decided to throw a quick cuss bomb at them. Maybe.

Still, my issue with this so called scandal is that it seems like such an easy thing to do mistakenly. I could have made this mistake. There has to be a lot of people who have and do make this slip of not cropping out two lines of info.

This is just like the art incident to me. Something so banal it felt like something anyone could have done in error, but because it's Anita, and every thing she does is so thoroughly scrutinized to find even the smallest gaff, she's probably the only one we'll be calling out on it. And then demonized for it before she does a bit of professional courtesy and fixes it.

Mcoffey:

klaynexas3:
I have no idea how things should follow from here. She's entering territory where she's not just an annoyance, but becoming a threat to any one that slightly disagrees. But you can't retaliate because then she'll martyr herself and send her feminazi squad to raze cities and what not, and possibly even gain more support, more publicity, and suddenly she'll be relavent again. She's doing this to get people to look at her, but the problem is that at a certain point you can't take some acts,such as doxing, sitting down. It's just a bad situation all around, and it will end up working out for her in the end, because she's already garnered scorn, so adding more doesn't affect her to the people that never liked her to begin with, but it strengthens the resolve of her dedicated fans.

Did you even read it? This wasn't "Slightly disagreeing". Get serious dude, your bias is showing.

Yes, because illegal acts are perfectly fine in the face of verbal abuse. Dudebro was an ass, yes. She still committed an illegal act. And no, I didn't read his email initially, probably because I didn't need to to know what she is doing is wrong in all sense of the term, and thus was solely commenting on her acts alone. So, while I am clearly biased in this situation, the point of my comment was not based on what he did, it's on what she did, because she did not need to commit an illegal act. He shouldn't have been an ass, she's still a criminal now. Feel better now that I've pointed out the error of the other person's ways? Congrats, you've managed to change one line of my original comment, you've won an internet, would you like a gold star or a cookie as your reward? I can do one or the other, but not both.

The really dumb thing is that people are going to use this as an excuse to hate on feminism instead of realizing that it's just the stupid actions of one person. She's probably harming the feminist cause more than helping it by doing this and that's a very sad thing.

Jonathan Hornsby:

NuclearKangaroo:

Jonathan Hornsby:

A quick digression, did it ever occur to you that the reason SJWs are a thing is because our culture is currently over saturated with intolerant assholes who use the internet as a sword and their misunderstanding of free speech as a shield?

you absolutely dont know the meaning of those words, you truthly dont, if you lived in say, certain parts of the middle east, where women are genuinely oppressed and homosexual people are hanged, youd know what an intolerant asshole is

Intolerance is intolerance. The difference between hanging someone for being homosexual and simply calling them a derogatory name is measured only in degrees.

like i said, you have no idea what you are talking about

im curious, whats the fundamental unit for measuring intolerance? the CIS-meter? the white-kilogram? or maybe, the straight-liter?

not to mention your dimissive attitude has left me speechless, is like saying

"injury is injury. The difference between shooting a man and slaping him is measured only in blood lost"

theres a pretty damn big difference there, and there is a pretty damn big difference between insulting someone and killing him

Supdupadog:

I don't disagree that it's an important thing to be aware of when sharing something. I didn't think about harassing the guys in the e-mails, but I'm sure there is some out there with too much time on their hands who decided to throw a quick cuss bomb at them. Maybe.

Still, my issue with this so called scandal is that it seems like such an easy thing to do mistakenly. I could have made this mistake. There has to be a lot of people who have and do make this slip of not cropping out two lines of info.

This is just like the art incident to me. Something so banal it felt like something anyone could have done in error, but because it's Anita, and every thing she does is so thoroughly scrutinized to find even the smallest gaff, she's probably the only one we'll be calling out on it. And then demonized for it before she does a bit of professional courtesy and fixes it.

It's not sending them a hate filled email that's the problem. With an email, IP address, and some google work you can get most people's phone number and physical address. If the person uses that email for an online bank account, a quick call to customer service for the email to full access to the email, which is easy when you have their phone and physical address, followed by checking it for bank information, and then a call to the bank can lead to straight up identity theft. This is why someone with a large number of followers posting someone's private information while trying to give that audience a reason to dislike that person is a really bad thing. She put those two at potentially serious risk, both financially and physically.

I feel like the biggest issue here is actually people defending publishing people's information like this. It's a serious thing that is not acceptable.

i hope someone actually pursues this to a court of law or whatever the internet police can punish you with

doxing is by no means acceptable and considering she herself has claimed to be a victim of doxing should know full well the full extent of her actions

Mcoffey:
Well that's not cool, under pretty much any circumstances. On the other hand, just skimming the message shows this guy clearly had it coming, so it's no skin off my nose.

Perhaps he will be more polite in the future.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Facilitating and promoting hatred back, attacks and even potentially identity theft (yes it could be done by certain people) is not a good response.

An idiot lashes out verbally, you do not call for their whole life in return potentially.

Gethsemani:
The double moral in this thread is delicious.
Anita Sarkeesian and feminists get doxxed with everything including real name and home address along with comments that implies the doxxers want others to harass the doxxed people (and don't mind if the doxxed people get physically hurt): "It ain't that bad"/"Them are just trolls"/"She has it coming for being so hateful against men". Two hostile haters attacking Sarkeesian has their IP-number and e-mail revealed in two screenshots, possibly by mistake: "ANITA ARE DOXXING THEM, THIS MUCH WRONG! VERY RAGE!"

Now, doxxing ain't cool and no matter if Sarkeesian intended for it to be doxxing or not, she made a mistake at best and some unethical shit at worst. But just looking at the pictures makes it obvious that the real victim here is Sarkeesian, who only responds to a vicious attack on her person.

With that I am out of this thread so that the circle jerking hate fest against Sarkeesian that usually ensues can continue uninterrupted. Enjoy.

I do not and have never supported the doxxing of anyone.
I do not and have not ever promoted the idea of physical harm being placed on someone by others.

I do not enjoy nor do I think others will appreciate that any descenting opinion against Anita being brushed as the same as the idiots and trolls spewing abuse and threats at her.

Anita has made a mistake and it's been pointed out. A mistake is easy to correct, an apology for the mistake is easy to give. Anita has done neither.

Anita is the victim initially of the abuse. However due to the dox drop the following could occur to the sender of the email.
Their IP used for criminal actions
Their IP used to authenticate access to accounts they own
Their Email address and IP traced to a name
Their information used to pressure any company they are part of to fire them due to pressure from the lynch mob.
Their house or family threatened.

lets not beat around the bush here. There are those in the SJW crowd who are as bad as the trolls. I've heard tales of death threats against game developers for their choice to only have a male lead in their own game with their own story they wanted to tell.

erttheking:
So...she posted the two e-mails of people who called her a cunt....and? I posted a message of a guy who sent me a death threat. Am I just as bad as her?

It is far different in the public eye with an army at your back. You shouldn't have done it and yes it was bad, you however don't have a personal army at your back.

erttheking:
So...she posted the two e-mails of people who called her a cunt....and? I posted a message of a guy who sent me a death threat. Am I just as bad as her?

Ryan Hughes:
And the mention of Sarkieesian makes the entire internet act like 5th graders again. . . Seriously, if you don't like her, ignore her. That is what I do with Sarah Palin and Kim Kardashian. It actually works out really well, and I live a life with much lower stress because of it. Just let go. It is ok, everything will be fine.

Sorry but the moment Anita Registered Feminist Frequency as a charity organisation (she actually has) she opened herself up beyond simply being someone with internet fame. When the head of Invisible children lost his nut on a drug bender the internet flipped it's lid for a day or two. Now you have the head of a charity providing the facility for her own almost private army to harass and insult or threaten someone because they were a douche to her. Sorry you don't do that, especially not as the head of a charity group.

erttheking:

That assumes this person is a victim. If someone commits a crime and is punished for it, I blame the perpetrator of the crime. If someone calls a person a "lying whore", a "greedy cunt", and a "disgusting pig", and that person retaliates -again, in a pretty uncool manner- then I can't find much sympathy for that person, nor can I call them a victim of anything but their own douchebaggery.

You retaliate on your own, you do not call a private army in to fight your battle for you. You do not call for the internet lynching mob to serve justice on your behalf.

You publish the email but maintain the anonymity of the person sending it. Or you do my little habit when I get such abuse. I sign them up to every spam newsletter going.

If it's somone's twitter handle then sure you can pull them up for it as its a twitter handle it's there for public address. But someone's personal email is like their postal address, you don't give it freely.

erttheking:

That assumes this person is a victim. If someone commits a crime and is punished for it, I blame the perpetrator of the crime. If someone calls a person a "lying whore", a "greedy cunt", and a "disgusting pig", and that person retaliates -again, in a pretty uncool manner- then I can't find much sympathy for that person, nor can I call them a victim of anything but their own douchebaggery.

The Almighty Aardvark:
What I find most amusing is how this guy is being referred to as a "critic" or "a party that slightly disagrees with her". I realize the Anti-Sarkeesian Soldiery (Can this be coined as a parallel to SJW?) are determined to make her look as bad as possible at every turn, but people might actually be a bit more receptive to listening to a cause if it was presented with a bit less bias

You know why Anita Sarkeesian is popular? Her "critics". Every person who's absolutely intent on proving that she's not a real gamer, that she's a shady harlot trying scam people out of her money (People got less upset about a POTATO SALAD being funded for $55 000). The people who get absolutely enraged over her trying to criticize their games and claim that female gamers should be getting more attention. You give people reason to listen to her, and she's been publicized considerably more by those trying to build a campaign against her.

I more or less agree with her stance, and I haven't watched a video of hers since the second one she made. Her delivery kind of sucks and there's plenty of people who do the job better than her. It's her overzealous detractors who keep her alive, give her a purpose and keep her in the spotlight. If people said "Eh, I don't really agree with her because of X" instead of trying to convince the world she was Satan nobody would have cared and you'd have far fewer people being convinced that maybe she's right. So I supposed you should pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

OT:
That was a pretty stupid thing for her to do. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but she's kind of weakening the high ground she had here.

That being said, I'm far less concerned about someone's personal information being outed for calling her a slut, whore and whatnot than for making feminist videos. Or should I be saying "For leveling well thought out criticism to her videos" since this guy's just an average joe who disagrees with her?

Sorry but Anita is a terrible representative to push for progress. It's fairly clear she's either very new to gaming or deliberately manipulating accepted limitations into intentions of malice on peoples parts.

Anita has slowly gone more or less of the rails to the point of claiming anyone who enjoys games she doesn't is a rape apologist.

Her critics initially caused the explosion however allowing incorrect ideas to propagate is as harmful. Discussion is the true way to deal with a situation, and I mean true discussion not a series of lectures.

There are far better people out there to advocate for change and the sooner someone replaces Anita as the figure head the better for the cause of diversity in general.

You do not have a discussion by claiming all your critics just don't understand you, you explain what you meant and show where they went wrong.

Not everyone is great and expressing themselves well and as such turn immediately to abuse to get their own way or their point across rather than discourse, these people are idiots but it's up the the person claiming to be in the right to open the dialogue and show how it can be done.

Timpossible:

So yeah. She made a mistake. It wasn't cool. But her action is far more understandable than
the actions of the fuckface who wrote the e-mail.

However it appears Anita doesn't see it as a mistake and is claiming people are faking it to discredit her. She is claiming she made no mistake. Which seems to be an undercurrent of almost any reply she makes to critics, either she claims they don't understand and are wrong or their criticism doesn't matter because it has no grounds because........ look a squirrel..........

IceForce:
The reactions in this thread are delicious.

Now, consider the following:
Anita posts just the text from an email like that, JUST the text and nothing else. What would everyone be saying? "Look at that Anita bitch posting fake emails."

So, she posts the email WITH all the other data included with it too, such as the sender's email address and IP, to show that it's a real email. And what are people saying? "Look at that Anita bitch doxxing people."

Delicious.

There are ways and means to demonstrate if something is real or not.
A simple Phone video camera recording the screen can show it and simple blurring of details.

It's pretty hard to fake scrolling screens on cellphone footage,

GalanDun:

Except that it's not strictly illegal. What is illegal is basically scamming someone for their personal info or phishing. This is done to protect specifically against fraud by the person "stealing" the info.

So it's a good explanation, except for the part that's a lie.

The_Kodu:
You retaliate on your own, you do not call a private army in to fight your battle for you. You do not call for the internet lynching mob to serve justice on your behalf.

Which tweet did she do that in? I must have missed that one.

NuclearKangaroo:

Jonathan Hornsby:

NuclearKangaroo:

You accuse people of whining.

So what the Hell are you doing right now?

And so what? You have to kill people in order to be intolerant? Have you seen the homosexual suicide rates in the 1st world? In some states homosexuals aren't allowed to hold office. Is that intolerance or does it not count?

Intolerant is intolerant. Just like hate is hate. There are degrees, but it's still the same concept.

Mcoffey:

ToastiestZombie:

Mcoffey:
[quote="ToastiestZombie" post="9.857150.21238851"]

What makes what you're different than saying someone deserves to be sexually assaulted for wearing a skimpy outfit or being sexually provocative? Doxxing is a crime in America, speech is not, so in SJW terms this guy is a victim because he had something illegal done to him for doing something legal.

Because wearing sexually provocative clothing is fine, and calling someone a whore/cunt/bitch for not sharing your opinion isn't. Do I really need to explain how it's different to you? But you're using "SJW", a stupid term used by stupid people, so maybe I do.

She shouldn't have doxxed him. He shouldn't have been a douche. I don't feel bad for him suffering for his bad behavior.

If I call someone some bad names, that gives them the right to take illegal actions against me? Because 'I was a dick?' Doxxing is illegal. Would it be anymore okay if he called her a name and she physically attacked/ murdered him over it? Because those are illegal actions too; you wouldn't defend her had she done that? Or would you, because again, 'he was a dick.'

I was there when she made those tweets. At no point was the intent explicitly to start a campaign of harassment against these two nutters.

You are very much forging an entire freaking narrative out of the thinnest strings to vilify a women who's occupation is to speak very formally into a camera about females in pop culture.

I would also like to point out that in the weeks since those tweets, no actual campaign of harassment has taken place against those emails. Her "feminist army" of fans are not as vindictive and blood thirsty as some would like to believe.

Bullcrap like this thread, of course, is just another drop in the bucket of what her contractors offer in response to anything she does.

Zachary Amaranth:

GalanDun:

Except that it's not strictly illegal. What is illegal is basically scamming someone for their personal info or phishing. This is done to protect specifically against fraud by the person "stealing" the info.

The_Kodu:

Anita has published the Twitter handles of her critics before (which is fine, twitter handles are different than emails/IPs) and it always results in a stream of replies to the handle from her followers. She's been doing this for a while, she knows full well what happens in these situations; its the same for any large internet personality.

Zachary Amaranth:

Except that it's not strictly illegal.

It is illegal. It falls under Publication of Private Facts. Likely runs afoul Reckless Endangerment laws as well.

Callate:
Well, this is low- whoever is responsible.

That she's apparently removed the originals, good; that's what she should have done. That she's using the opportunity to beat the usual drum undermines any credibility that she didn't have anything to do with the original posting, at best.

As a whole, all this seems likely to do is push a few people who were on the edge into more radical camps, and that's a shame. No one "wins" when crap like this goes down.

Nope they're actually still on her account.

Falling:

No, you are trying much too hard to turn the tables and use victim language against the Anita side. It doesn't fit. This is the equivalent of some drunk a-hole swearing at some big dude at a bar, persistently harassing. The big dude finally turns around and clocks the guy. The big dude isn't correct in throwing a punch, but the drunk a-hole isn't a 'victim' of anything beyond his own stupidity. The guy wasn't 'asking' to be punched in the face, but he's dumb. And that dumbness is his own fault. Not everyone has the patience of Job, and if you bark up the wrong tree, you'd better be prepared when they come after you.

That's even assuming this whole doxxing thing is legit. I have no idea whether it has been deleted, faked, ignorance over posting emails or what. Basically this is our weekly Anita discussion on Escapist. Traditions must stand.

I believe the term you want is aggrovated assault or aggrovated ABH.

The reality is if the big dude clocks him and knocks hits him one then sure. If the big dude calls for all his friends to stomp the asshole into a year next tuesday then attack his home then there's a difference there

I apologise to the Escapist moderators now but because people are asking here are the two tweets being referenced.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/statuses/488855173813379072
https://twitter.com/femfreq/statuses/488854560291561473 " title="" target="_blank"> https://twitter.com/femfreq/statuses/488854560291561473

There tweets are publicly available already on her twitter and as such will go dark if she deletes them herself. Until then I am merely linking to there as evidence and nothing more.

Zachary Amaranth:

The_Kodu:

Two wrongs don't make a right

Isn't that basically the entire premise of her critics?

LifeCharacter:
...Does what that guy sent her even count as criticism?

When it comes to Anita, yes.

OT: I don't find information saying what she specifically did was illegal, though people keep screaming SHE BROKE TEH LAW! Can anyone kindly verify that this practice is illegal, rather than just reciting it like a meme?

Most of the laws I can find (US, at least) indicate that the illegal act is specifically attempting to gain such information through means such as phishing. Anita didn't do that, so is there any evidence what she did constitutes an illegal act, rather than just a douchey one? Because it looks like once again, two wrongs do make a right on the internet.

Edit: Let me clarify that last statement a little. When I say two wrongs make a right, I'm not advocating anything. I'm saying that the standard and practice here is that it's completely okay to make false claims. Well, unless you're Anita. She's a liar, and thus it's okay to make stuff up about her because ponies.

And if it is, in fact, illegal, well....Let the courts handle it.

The premise of her critics is most of what she's raising as points are incorrect or misrepresented.

The claim that her talking about a wrong in the wrong way requires there to also be a right. If the issue she's tackling is only an issues in a certain light and requiring warping of the facts then there was no right to wrong to begin with.

If she tackled actual issues about then sure she could have a right and wrong to the argument.

As for Doxing, it's part of the EU data protection act. As Anita representing femenist frequency is giving out peoples details from correspondence then that is improper protection of Data which as a company (Anita registered Feminist frequency as a charity recently so is no under this law) means she could be taken to court for this by the individuals. I believe it's a $14,000 minimum flat compensation fee before accounting for damages caused by it.

Note that's a cost per piece of information.
In court I'd say the first email has a minimum claim of $28,000 and the second $42,000 + damages due to the information she kept in.

Zachary Amaranth:

GalanDun:

The_Kodu:

She knew the result of her actions and should be well aware that her followers would take action. Just as many other people have had to restrain their followers after people confront them on twitter. Believe it or not when you're in the spotlight more you have to act to restrain those who follow you and try to keep people from doing this kind of stuff.

Supdupadog:

I was there when she made those tweets. At no point was the intent explicitly to start a campaign of harassment against these two nutters.

You are very much forging an entire freaking narrative out of the thinnest strings to vilify a women who's occupation is to speak very formally into a camera about females in pop culture.

I would also like to point out that in the weeks since those tweets, no actual campaign of harassment has taken place against those emails. Her "feminist army" of fans are not as vindictive and blood thirsty as some would like to believe.

Bullcrap like this thread, of course, is just another drop in the bucket of what her contractors offer in response to anything she does.

Sorry to do this to you but

Citation needed.

You claim these people have seen no abuse or harassment since their information was made public.
I wish to see evidence of this. I'd suggest correspondence from the people in question with a video of the email taken via cell phone, and remember to scroll a bit too to show it's real.

The Bucket:

Anita has published the Twitter handles of her critics before (which is fine, twitter handles are different than emails/IPs) and it always results in a stream of replies to the handle from her followers. She's been doing this for a while, she knows full well what happens in these situations; its the same for any large internet personality.

Which doesn't back up the claim made so much as shift the goalposts.

"She called for a lynch mob!"
"Where?"
"Well, she didn't call for one, but she totally knew one could happen!"

I'd ask for evidence that a lynch mob has been involved, but I'm worried the goalposts might collapse from all the shifting.

One day I'll make a tumblr called "things I didn't say" built entirely around fake quotes, willful misrepresentations & strawmen statements.

I'm dubious about this in the first place. At the same time Kodu was claiming that Anita was standing by her claims, her Twitter feed was saying the opposite, that these were false tweets being circulated. Already, the narrative people are claiming about Anita is false, which makes me question the veracity of the tweets in question.

People are very quick to look for any reason to hate her, and screw facts.

infinity_turtles:

It is illegal. It falls under Publication of Private Facts. Likely runs afoul Reckless Endangerment laws as well.

Either such case would very likely be thrown out.

No wonder people are complaining on the internet rather than Anita actually being in legal trouble.

The_Kodu:

The Almighty Aardvark:
What I find most amusing is how this guy is being referred to as a "critic" or "a party that slightly disagrees with her". I realize the Anti-Sarkeesian Soldiery (Can this be coined as a parallel to SJW?) are determined to make her look as bad as possible at every turn, but people might actually be a bit more receptive to listening to a cause if it was presented with a bit less bias

You know why Anita Sarkeesian is popular? Her "critics". Every person who's absolutely intent on proving that she's not a real gamer, that she's a shady harlot trying scam people out of her money (People got less upset about a POTATO SALAD being funded for $55 000). The people who get absolutely enraged over her trying to criticize their games and claim that female gamers should be getting more attention. You give people reason to listen to her, and she's been publicized considerably more by those trying to build a campaign against her.

I more or less agree with her stance, and I haven't watched a video of hers since the second one she made. Her delivery kind of sucks and there's plenty of people who do the job better than her. It's her overzealous detractors who keep her alive, give her a purpose and keep her in the spotlight. If people said "Eh, I don't really agree with her because of X" instead of trying to convince the world she was Satan nobody would have cared and you'd have far fewer people being convinced that maybe she's right. So I supposed you should pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

OT:
That was a pretty stupid thing for her to do. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but she's kind of weakening the high ground she had here.

That being said, I'm far less concerned about someone's personal information being outed for calling her a slut, whore and whatnot than for making feminist videos. Or should I be saying "For leveling well thought out criticism to her videos" since this guy's just an average joe who disagrees with her?

Sorry but Anita is a terrible representative to push for progress. It's fairly clear she's either very new to gaming or deliberately manipulating accepted limitations into intentions of malice on peoples parts.

Anita has slowly gone more or less of the rails to the point of claiming anyone who enjoys games she doesn't is a rape apologist.

Her critics initially caused the explosion however allowing incorrect ideas to propagate is as harmful. Discussion is the true way to deal with a situation, and I mean true discussion not a series of lectures.

There are far better people out there to advocate for change and the sooner someone replaces Anita as the figure head the better for the cause of diversity in general.

You do not have a discussion by claiming all your critics just don't understand you, you explain what you meant and show where they went wrong.

Not everyone is great and expressing themselves well and as such turn immediately to abuse to get their own way or their point across rather than discourse, these people are idiots but it's up the the person claiming to be in the right to open the dialogue and show how it can be done.

Did you read my post? None of the reasons I attributed to her popularity had anything to do with her own merits. Where did I say that she's a good speaker for female representation in games? She was made the figurehead of feminism in games by people who're against feminism going anywhere near games

However, I have to laugh about what you say about not fostering discussion and presenting her videos as lectures. Uh... who doesn't do that? Every Thunderf00t video I've seen was of him going on a rant about his take on a situation. What exactly should she be doing to better emulate other youtubers who discuss something on their own who inexplicably AREN'T just lecturing the viewer?

She is not censoring anyone by not opening youtube comments. Have you read youtube comments? Especially those on a figurehead as despised as her? Hell, apparently the Escapist doubles as Anita Sarkeesian's official comment section. Someone should just send her a link to this site to serve the purpose.

Citation needed.

You claim these people have seen no abuse or harassment since their information was made public.
I wish to see evidence of this. I'd suggest correspondence from the people in question with a video of the email taken via cell phone, and remember to scroll a bit too to show it's real.

I'd also like to see some evidence, since it seems like people are talking like these two have been Anonymous-ed into suicide.

I'd like to know if this was an honest mistake that did nothing and was taken care, or an honest mistake that actually hurt people.

But since we don't usually need weeks to find the answer to that, as anyone who's followed a Mike (from PA) harassment storm has known (or really any Doxx abuse campaign), I'm going to bet that nothing actually happened.

It's not just me that needs a citation.

erttheking:

You accuse people of whining.

So what the Hell are you doing right now?

explaining what i think SJW do

erttheking:
And so what? You have to kill people in order to be intolerant? Have you seen the homosexual suicide rates in the 1st world? In some states homosexuals aren't allowed to hold office. Is that intolerance or does it not count?

Intolerant is intolerant. Just like hate is hate. There are degrees, but it's still the same concept.

again with the degrees...

theres inequalities in this world we live in, that i agree, but to classify every single insignificant thing of being intolerant, is whiny, is stupid, is entitlement from the people who dont even know what the words they use on a daily basis such as "intolerant" or "racist" mean

exibit A:

the jontron debacle

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.857138-JonTron-insults-Platstation-Now-Tumblr-has-a-shit-fit-UPDATE

people thinking jontron using a word that literally can mean "stupid"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retarded

is intolerant or some shit like that

exibit B:

this debacle

anita, trapped inside her chronic delusion remains convinced legitimate criticism and the right to rebuttal is sexism

The_Kodu:
The premise of her critics is most of what she's raising as points are incorrect or misrepresented.

And they have to lie to get to that point.

The claim that her talking about a wrong in the wrong way requires there to also be a right. If the issue she's tackling is only an issues in a certain light and requiring warping of the facts then there was no right to wrong to begin with.

It's rather dishonest to expect her to tackle someone else's side in the first place, or to pretend talking about larger trends is anything but that.

As for Doxing, it's part of the EU data protection act.

Is she European now?

As Anita representing femenist frequency is giving out peoples details from correspondence then that is improper protection of Data which as a company (Anita registered Feminist frequency as a charity recently so is no under this law) means she could be taken to court for this by the individuals. I believe it's a $14,000 minimum flat compensation fee before accounting for damages caused by it.

Oh, I see, she's not European, but FF is a company now....Far as I can tell, this counts only towards EU corporations or corporations that do business in the EU. Which is FF?

In court I'd say the first email has a minimum claim of $28,000 and the second $42,000 + damages due to the information she kept in.

Is this your professional, legal opinion?

She knew the result of her actions and should be well aware that her followers would take action. Just as many other people have had to restrain their followers after people confront them on twitter. Believe it or not when you're in the spotlight more you have to act to restrain those who follow you and try to keep people from doing this kind of stuff.

That wasn't your claim. You claimed she called for a lynch mob. Did she call for a lynch mob? Or are you assembling a narrative notwithstanding the facts?

Oh yeah, here's the tweets.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/488854560291561473

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/488855173813379072

There's only one mention of using the information to Doxx. All the way near the bottom of the second one. It's hand waved away as not even being legitimate information to Doxx.

If you wanna say Anita is trying to instigate a Doxx campaign against these two charming people, you'd have a hard time proving that intention from these tweets.

infinity_turtles:

Supdupadog:

It's not sending them a hate filled email that's the problem. With an email, IP address, and some google work you can get most people's phone number and physical address. If the person uses that email for an online bank account, a quick call to customer service for the email to full access to the email, which is easy when you have their phone and physical address, followed by checking it for bank information, and then a call to the bank can lead to straight up identity theft. This is why someone with a large number of followers posting someone's private information while trying to give that audience a reason to dislike that person is a really bad thing. She put those two at potentially serious risk, both financially and physically.

I feel like the biggest issue here is actually people defending publishing people's information like this. It's a serious thing that is not acceptable.

Except the first guy just flat out calls her a whore, so why should I have sympathy for anything bad that happens to them? It would've what? Taken a few more minutes to properly write an email that wasn't insulting that conveyed the same point?

I don't even like Anita. If they got the legal ground to sue her, they should. But as an independent 3rd party, fuck em.

NuclearKangaroo:

people thinking jontron using a word that literally can mean "stupid"

See the usage note, because the way you're using the word derives from the pejorative term.

anita, trapped inside her chronic delusion remains convinced legitimate criticism and the right to rebuttal is sexism

I knoooow, right? Why would anyone think that calling a woman a whore and a cunt and accusing her of lying without good faith basis was sexist?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked