Feminist Frequency posts critics' personal info on Twitter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

SaneAmongInsane:

Except the first guy just flat out calls her a whore, so why should I have sympathy for anything bad that happens to them? It would've what? Taken a few more minutes to properly write an email that wasn't insulting that conveyed the same point?

I don't even like Anita. If they got the legal ground to sue her, they should. But as an independent 3rd party, fuck em.

I've already agreed that the emails were bad. But here's a question, why the hell do you have to like, agree, or even not think someone is a complete asshole to think illegally handing out their private information that could put them at risk is a bad thing? It's shitty behavior that no one should be doing, and the fact that people are defending it is bullshit.

Zontar:
snip

Dude you're taking the fact that the project totally blew up in ways that nobody could predict and trying to make it into something malicious. Besides, your claims of her being a con-artist aren't even internally consistent. She's a con-artist because she's not making videos as fast as originally planned, but she's still...making videos? And she's not fulfilling all kickstarter rewards but she is fulfilling some/most of them? Is that what con-artists do? Keep themselves in the public eye by putting out the effort to do the majority of the thing they said they would do? She didn't exactly take the money and run, even by your (still factually incorrect) assertions. The worst thing you could reasonably accuse her of is incompetence.

And I've personally heard nothing about rewards not being fulfilled, but I couldn't find a source when I looked just now. If you have something then please, enlighten me.

Supdupadog:
Her old videos where about 6-8 minutes, her new ones usually about half-an hour.

That might affect production time. Also I'm pretty sure she has other things to do, especially as she got shot into pseudo internet celebrity.

As for the kickstarter goals, no idea what those where.

LostGryphon:
The "critics" were assholes.

Anita is an asshole.

Everbody's an asshole! The system works!

Except she's not. At worst, petty for sharing really offensive personal e-mails.

She committed a Doxx attack that didn't happen, despite having plenty of time to happen, and probably won't happen now because who cares about tweets from weeks ago.

Her character is being vilified for no reason. That's not right. That's not a thing that should happen.

Her videos came out more frequently when she was working on other projects too / full time work

They were shorter but comparatively she should have so much more time now to produce them that there should be no reason for the long (6 month+) time between videos.

I posted links to her dropping the Doxx, do you ignore them wilfully or simply ignorantly ?
She dropped the information. That is the Doxx,what comes from it we do not yet know so claiming it isn't happening requires evidence from those two it involves.

She's being vilified because she's using every trick in the book to vilify anyone who doesn't 100% agree with her. Meanwhile playing variations of the victim card (seriously initially maybe it was ignorance but you don't announce your going to live stream on twitch when you could google+ stream and prevent any comments.)

She's being vilified because she claims to promote critical thinking but won't let people attempt it and instead provides manipulated and biased evidence claiming it as unbiased.
She's claiming her work as academic while misrepresenting lots of information and objecting to all criticism claiming it's baseless or because she's female and therefore she shouldn't have to address the criticism.
She's misrepresenting others academic work to fit her purpose knowing that due to Journal subscriptions not everyone will be able to check the research themselves.
She's further displacing others better suited from the spotlight.

Dragonbums:
I'm pretty sure Anita herself has been doxxed a bazillion times by now anyway.

Also from what I understand...this is an email address? Like...that's not even doxxing? Hello?

Seriously. I see dozens of posts monthly about people screencapping shit said in email messages and posting them on their blogs. That shit gets like. 100k notes and not a single person is calling it doxxing. But...Anita does it and suddenly she doxxed some fuckers?

Do people know what doxxing is? Doxxing is actively finding information on this person that may or may not be public or highly public info.

Someone sending a person an email, and the recipient screencapping it and posting it online is not doxxing. A breach of privacy? Yes. Doxxing no.

She left in IP addresses which combined with the email could very easily be used by people.

Anita has registered Feminist Frequency as a charity she is now subject to the same rules as many other organisations including data privacy.

Supdupadog:

You mean those nice people might have gotten some stern words from other twitter users despite no actual order to do so? Like that maybe sitting back and letting those awful awful things go under the radar is kinda wrong?

She highlighted those for a reason. They are just, so, so, so awful and no one should think that's ok.

Why are you defending them? Why do you think they're free from some random twitter people calling them out on such awful words?

Stern Words ?

You mean:
Dirtbag
Inadequate male
Should be banned
Learns nothing
violent misogynist
sack of slime
male gamer scum

And these are the tweets that aren't from private accounts and or haven't been deleted by the posters.

I'm not defending their actions.
You asked for my examples of abuse happening.
I gave examples showing that this is a known trend that occurs when Anita posts someone's twitter handle alone.
Honestly say what you like to someone's public twitter handle, if they're being dicks be a dick back however distributing personal email addresses could result in similar abuse and worse abuse due to the private nature such emails would no doubt be meaning plenty of people would be more inclined to more extreme comments due to lack of public scorn potentially coming back at them.

I don't feel people should be free from being called out using their public twitter. I do however see it as bad to try and get people to act the same towards someone's private email when they contacted a public email address Anita actually uses for response and contact emails. If it had gone to a private account (note: Anita does have a private twitter herself so this is her buisness twitter) it would be a different matter but it's her acting on the behalf of the organisation she is head of to give out peoples public information without consent.

People were shocked at the NRA data storage despite the claims it was to prevent terrorism. So why are people defending Anita wanting to shame people who offended her ?

ayvee:

She's a con-artist because she's not making videos as fast as originally planned, but she's still...making videos?

No, she's a con artist for getting people to give her money for a project she already had everything she needed to make it, and on top of that not even bothering to actually do the work. The whole thing was supposed to take 6 months to finish. 5 times that later only a quarter of the work is done. At this rate the 6 month series will be 9.5 years behind scheduled when it's done.

And she's not fulfilling all kickstarter rewards but she is fulfilling some/most of them?

No, she just hasn't fulfilled any of her kickstarter rewards. Which, for a project just 10% as successful as hers was, is highly suspect in and of itself ignoring everything else.

Is that what con-artists do? Keep themselves in the public eye by putting out the effort to do the majority of the thing they said they would do?

If she's trying then she sure isn't competent to any degree. She keeps herself in the public eye for one simple reason: money. People (for some reason and despite all logic) have been giving her money to show up to conferences to complain about the fact that she is a woman who is on the internet, and somehow that's on par with women who have to fear domestic abuse (well, at least she has tricked some people into thinking her problems are on par with that, but that's neither here nor there).

She didn't exactly take the money and run, even by your (still factually incorrect) assertions. The worst thing you could reasonably accuse her of is incompetence.

Well good, because I already have accused her of incompetence, and she has gone out of her way to show that to be just the case. One wonders, though, how she can be THAT incompetent given how often she posted videos to her channel before her kickstarter. Maybe there's something to that "money makes you unable to function" theory the communist keep spouting (not really, but it makes more sense then her abilities falling so dramatically after her kickstarter).

And I've personally heard nothing about rewards not being fulfilled, but I couldn't find a source when I looked just now. If you have something then please, enlighten me.

All the rewards (short of the 1$ one) are by definition impossible to honour until the series is finished, because they all include or simply are a copy of the whole series on DVD as well as other things which, most, like the DVDs, are impossible for her to actually provide as before the series is finished they are impossible to produce.

infinity_turtles:

SaneAmongInsane:

Except the first guy just flat out calls her a whore, so why should I have sympathy for anything bad that happens to them? It would've what? Taken a few more minutes to properly write an email that wasn't insulting that conveyed the same point?

I don't even like Anita. If they got the legal ground to sue her, they should. But as an independent 3rd party, fuck em.

I've already agreed that the emails were bad. But here's a question, why the hell do you have to like, agree, or even not think someone is a complete asshole to think illegally handing out their private information that could put them at risk is a bad thing? It's shitty behavior that no one should be doing, and the fact that people are defending it is bullshit.

like I said if it's really illegal then sue the damn girl for every dime. Girl done goofed. Hell I'll go as far as to say it's dangerous.

I just have a hard time feeling sympathy for people that can't be nice. All this Feminist/MRA ideological bullshit, one can have a discussion without insults.

Zontar:
Snip

Dude your argument continues to be so full of leaps in logic and self-contradiction (she's a con artist because she hasn't fulfilled rewards yet...which apparently literally can't happen until the series is over) but you've successfully convinced me that continuing this conversation is pointless. I'm out.

The_Kodu:

She left in IP addresses which combined with the email could very easily be used by people.

It's also very easy to find the IP address of anybody some sites do not even hide that info. Seriously, any bum with too much time on their hands can google "how to find IP address" and fucking do it. It takes little effort.

And used by who exactly? So far not a single fan of Anita has done anything with the info inside the email. At worse they will just be bombarded with people saying they were being an asshole for sending shit mail with zero content to actually reply to.

I would have no doubt however, that if the opposite were to happen to her, I'd actually be extrememly worried about her own safety.

Anita has registered Feminist Frequency as a charity she is now subject to the same rules as many other organizations including data privacy.

Except that Feminist Frequency did not "release" info on them. Anita did. And from what I've read in previous posts, this seems to be a thing in the UN only. Anita is not living in, nor is her company based in Europe. So those rules don't even apply anyway.

Zontar:
-snip-

I should point out that there is no evidence it was her on 4chan but it's a very strange co-incidence. Just the same as there's strangely no proof of the waves of abuse she saw being from anyone but herself. No screen caps of the abuse seem to be about and no-one has tracked the alleged accounts doing it.

However I will say

It's scummy of her to take paid work when she's meant to be working on the kickstarter videos.

I haven't heard of or seen any mention of the goals being delivered so no:

A pack of custom designed stickers featuring a reimagined Zelda and Peach plus a few more with the Feminist Frequency logo! PLUS all of the above!

Nor

A random postcard from one of my many travels with a handwritten message from me

Nor the educational resource packs.

I think referring to those who wrote Anita the emails as 'critics' is about the same as referring to defecation as 'an after dinner snack'. Critics offer constructive criticism, they don't spout abuse and personal attacks.

That doesn't make Anita releasing their emails/IP addresses okay, but I just found it very interesting that the original poster was perfectly content with what was said in the emails, but refuses to consider the possibility that the release was accidental and that the original intent was to highlight the unwarranted abuse found within the emails. We don't know if it was an accident, or if it was a deliberate act, so we can't really say one way or the other.

But considering one party was subjected to mountains of abuse, I'm pretty sure I know who I'd support more.

Mooncomix:
I think referring to those who wrote Anita the emails as 'critics' is about the same as referring to defecation as 'an after dinner snack'. Critics offer constructive criticism, they don't spout abuse and personal attacks.

That doesn't make Anita releasing their emails/IP addresses okay, but I just found it very interesting that the original poster was perfectly content with what was said in the emails, but refuses to consider the possibility that the release was accidental and that the original intent was to highlight the unwarranted abuse found within the emails. We don't know if it was an accident, or if it was a deliberate act, so we can't really say one way or the other.

But considering one party was subjected to mountains of abuse, I'm pretty sure I know who I'd support more.

It doesn't matter what was said. Tumblr caught someone famous doing something illegal, accidental or not, and I covered it. I couldn't give less of a shit of what was going on or if it meshed with my ideals. Its not supposed to be personal. Its drama, so I cover it and show whats happening.

Not everyone cares to comment on something. I cover stories because I go around collecting internet drama and news for the forum, all my threads for famous for it. I tend to try to cover things before the news team even has a chance to get to it.

This is Internet Drama Electric Boogaloo. Not "wot I think."

I also covered the possibility of it being accidental at the very end if you even read the post, as well as other scenarios.

Ultratwinkie:

Mooncomix:

It doesn't matter what was said. Tumblr caught someone famous doing something illegal, accidental or not, and I covered it. I couldn't give less of a shit of what was going on or if it meshed with my ideals. Its drama, so I cover it.

Not everyone cares to comment on something. I cover stories because I go around collecting internet drama and news for the forum, all my threads for famous for it. Good discussion value.

This is Internet Drama Electric Boogaloo. Not "wot I think."

I also covered the possibility of it being accidental at the very end if you even read the post, as well as other scenarios.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about people's forum history, I just saw another post about Anita Sarkeesian which, predictably, turned into a ridiculous mess, and it's clear that there are very few people who try to view the subject from an objective standpoint - she's either the devil or an angel, and when you really get down to it, she's neither. I will say that, when picking sides, I do pick 'Team Anita' because I do believe that the points she raises are important and necessary things for the gaming community to consider, and it's responses like the emails Anita posted that only further my resolve that there is an issue. Like I said before, though, that doesn't make a premeditated act of Doxxing okay.

In any case, I apologise for accusing your agenda for posting this. Like I said, I don't really know anyone's forum history.

Oh internet, never change.

Naturally, everyone glosses over the horrendous language in the emails to the point that the idiots who sent them are called 'critics' and are merely 'disagreeing' with Anita. What kind of fucking myopia is this? Are people so willing to attack Sarkeesian that they'll willfully ignore anything and everything to do it?

Of course, I do believe that doxxing is a bad thing to do, but all that was posted was a name and an IP address. I don't even think she meant to 'dox' them - indeed, I think she just screen-capped the email to show what she gets on a daily basis. I think that's fair enough - but - oh wait! It's Anita Sarkeesian - apparently the fucking devil incarnate!
- End nonconstructive anger

Constructive note (ignore if you're not a fan of pretentious musings): I do think that this is exemplary of a problem we'll have to overcome in these Wild West-esque times of the Internet. The random people who sent this are placed on a different level of responsibility than Sarkeesian is, despite the fact that Sarkeesian hasn't done much else other than make a few videos on the internet. A discussion needs to be had on the nature of the common person being given a soapbox that they can use indiscriminately, and also of how single people are placed on pedestals (good or bad) that require them to act within unwritten boundaries that are only made clear when people lash out. /nonsense

TopazFusion:
Not that I'm condoning doxing or anything, but how do we know that guy didn't use a throwaway email account and proxy IP address?

If he didn't even take basic measures to mask his own identity before sending something like that, then he's even more of an idiot than that email makes him out to be.

I am pretty sure I saw a daily telegraph email address in there. I don't know about you, but I don't think news outlets are in the business of renting out emails.

Remaiki:
Oh internet, never change.

Naturally, everyone glosses over the horrendous language in the emails to the point that the idiots who sent them are called 'critics' and are merely 'disagreeing' with Anita. What kind of fucking myopia is this? Are people so willing to attack Sarkeesian that they'll willfully ignore anything and everything to do it?

Of course, I do believe that doxxing is a bad thing to do, but all that was posted was a name and an IP address. I don't even think she meant to 'dox' them - indeed, I think she just screen-capped the email to show what she gets on a daily basis. I think that's fair enough - but - oh wait! It's Anita Sarkeesian - apparently the fucking devil incarnate!
- End nonconstructive anger

Constructive note (ignore if you're not a fan of pretentious musings): I do think that this is exemplary of a problem we'll have to overcome in these Wild West-esque times of the Internet. The random people who sent this are placed on a different level of responsibility than Sarkeesian is, despite the fact that Sarkeesian hasn't done much else other than make a few videos on the internet. A discussion needs to be had on the nature of the common person being given a soapbox that they can use indiscriminately, and also of how single people are placed on pedestals (good or bad) that require them to act within unwritten boundaries that are only made clear when people lash out. /nonsense

I said critics because its shorter than "random people" or anything else. This isn't reddit where I can make huge long titles. I have to cut down on the words while passing along the most information. I also said that because people are saying she is doing it to other people, but Tumblr only caught these 2.

ToastiestZombie:
If this were swapped around would you be victim blaming Sarkeesian?

Of course not. If the tables were turned and this was a case of Anita sending a hateful email to some guy, and the guy turned around and doxxed her, her (diehard) followers would be screaming bloody fucking murder. They'd make it their collective mission to see the guy harassed into suicide.

Fact is: Anita done fucked up. She's shown her true colors and has done something morally reprehensible and incredibly unprofessional. A rather baffling move for someone who insists she be treated as both morally superior and academically professional.

Sad part is, whatever legitimate points she had to make will now be, unfortunately, tainted by this immature action.

It's a shame, really. Such a shame. Controversies like this help no one and only serve to undermine legitimate debate.

For the record, I'm not defending the emails. At least one of them was written by someone who is clearly a jackass. However, this does NOT excuse Anita's actions.

Doxing is never, ever okay. I've been mostly disappointed in her work so far, but that's enough for me to boycott her site and channel altogether.

I can't say I'm surprised, however. Her standards of academic honesty have been consistently poor, with incidents ranging from the Bayonetta video that was taken down and re-edited to the footage used without credit or permission. Her degree is proof that she ought to know better than that. This, however, is definitely a new low.

Is anyone surprised at this? She already showed she was willing to lie about herself and steal footage and artwork to make her videos; does it surprise anyone that she's willing to do this?

It's yet another cry for attention. Hopefully this time people will start to realise.

But, for some reason, I'm sure we'll still have individuals whom seem to believe this women is capable of doing or saying something of any worth.

A ridiculously long Sarkeesian thread on The Escapist forums?
Huh, it must be that time of the week again.

Vigormortis:

Of course not. If the tables were turned and this was a case of Anita sending a hateful email to some guy, and the guy turned around and doxxed her, her (diehard) followers would be screaming bloody fucking murder. They'd make it their collective mission to see the guy harassed into suicide.

Are you serious, do you realise how melodramatic that is?
What diehard followers?

The only people who ever bring her up do so to complain about her, it's fucking hilarious how many threads people make to bitch about her. Posting the same tired accusations over and over.

So I had a look at that Feminist Frequency website, it really is utterly mental, there are people on there holding up signs saying "black people's opinions are more important than mine" and "I need Feminism so my girl friend can use her strap on on me".

It doesn't really make much a case for the rationality of SJWs, they really are peculiarly confused bunch.

The Lunatic:
Is anyone surprised at this? She already showed she was willing to lie about herself and steal footage and artwork to make her videos; does it surprise anyone that she's willing to do this?

It's yet another cry for attention. Hopefully this time people will start to realise.

But, for some reason, I'm sure we'll still have individuals whom seem to believe this women is capable of doing or saying something of any worth.

The only way you beat bad ideas and views is with better ones. Simply ignoring a con-artist is allowing them to continue their questionable business practice. And Anita's business practices have gone beyond questionable into borderline illegal, including but not limited to:
Theft, ad hominen, censorship of dissent, dogmatic, almost religious zealotism, discrediting research, cherry-picking, the list goes on and on. Ignoring her simply does not work anymore. Doxing is illegal. You can't ignore criminals. You can't defeat someone's argument by simply shutting down and ignoring them.

Ryan Hughes:
And the mention of Sarkieesian makes the entire internet act like 5th graders again. . . Seriously, if you don't like her, ignore her. That is what I do with Sarah Palin and Kim Kardashian. It actually works out really well, and I live a life with much lower stress because of it. Just let go. It is ok, everything will be fine.

That doesn't work if you want to understand the world. The interests of other people need to become your own. Sarah Palin, Kim Kardashian, and Anita Sarkeesian are all important in the world - ignoring them just hurts your own understanding.

Even if you oppose them, the phrase "know thy enemy" applies.

I try to stay out of this topic, I really do, because it just goes to show how terrible people on the internet can be.

It looks like those were comments submitted to the FF website, where they submit an email address and name to the comment. This is not the same as publishing an email she receives personally, the commentators (I won't says critics because they offer no criticism, only insults) chose to share an email address. There's no expectation of privacy there, because they could put anything they want there.

Now as far as an IP address goes, yes they're usually dynamic, yes they can be spoofed, but Wikipedia does this to anyone that makes a change to their website, your IP address is logged and placed on public display. How is that not a crime, but this is?

Publication of private facts means releasing something of a shocking or embarrassing nature, like the commentators are closet BDSM fetishists or pedophiles or something. The only fact it revealed is that they're assholes, which isn't particularly shocking.

I don't know Anita aside from what's said about her here, I don't frequent her videos or site, but I really think some of you jumping on the bandwagon to paint her as some extremist criminal/zealot really need to consider that you may be just as much of an extremist zealot in your quest to discredit/expose/shame her. And perhaps you need to consider that with everything that's gone on, maybe she's not entirely wrong about what she's saying.

SirBryghtside:

SHE IS JUST A YOUTUBER.

SHE MAKES VIDEOS ON THE INTERNET.

SOME PEOPLE CONSIDER THESE VIDEOS TO NOT BE WORTH THE MONEY A BUNCH OF OTHER PEOPLE PAID FOR THEM.

THAT. DOESN'T. MATTER.

SHES ON TV! IN MAGAZINES! IS INVITED TO SPEAK INFRONT OF STUDENTS AND INVITED TO GAME STUDIOS!

You know... thats a tad bit above "just a youtuber"

Heck even Jim hasnt been invited to EA yet XD

Anita is brilliant in playing the damsel in distress... but sadly thats her only talent.

She learned that being the victim makes for a rather nice paycheck.

MY bet is that the money she got from kickstarter has run out and now shes looking for new streams of revenue since aparantly making youtube videos doesnt pay for all her bills.. or else she would actually deliver on her kickstarter.

So yeah i agree that she is trying everything she can to aggitate whomever she can to make another run for the "i got ptsd from the internet" BS award.

Tygerml:
It looks like those were comments submitted to the FF website, where they submit an email address and name to the comment. This is not the same as publishing an email she receives personally, the commentators (I won't says critics because they offer no criticism, only insults) chose to share an email address. There's no expectation of privacy there, because they could put anything they want there.

You're absolutely right, and I'm ashamed I didn't notice this sooner.

To everyone else in this thread: Look at the screenshot again:

You can clearly see that it was submitted using a "Contact Form URL". More specifically, this:
http://www.feministfrequency.com/contact/

Which is VERY similar to this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/

Similar in the sense that YOU CAN PUT ANY EMAIL ADDRESS YOU LIKE IN THERE. It'll probably accept anything you put in there.

I wonder if people would be as irate about this, if they knew that the email addresses were fake, and the IPs linked to some library or internet cafe or something.

Maybe someone with computer skills can test this theory? Not for malicious purposes of course, but just so we can be sure of all the details.

Dragonbums:

The_Kodu:

It's also very easy to find the IP address of anybody some sites do not even hide that info. Seriously, any bum with too much time on their hands can google "how to find IP address" and fucking do it. It takes little effort.

And used by who exactly? So far not a single fan of Anita has done anything with the info inside the email. At worse they will just be bombarded with people saying they were being an asshole for sending shit mail with zero content to actually reply to.

I would have no doubt however, that if the opposite were to happen to her, I'd actually be extrememly worried about her own safety.

Yes you can but mostly it requires extra work to find the IP of another person.

What can be done using an IP address ?
P2P connection.
Connecting to their computer (or more likely router and messing with stuff if its not secured)
DDos
Swatting (The act of pretending to be them and claiming you're committing a serious gun crime to get the swat team sent to said persons residence and cause a swat raid)
Identity theft by using IP masking to pretend to be them.

Also I'd like to add this

That we know of so far not a single fan of Anita has done anything with the info inside the email.
But most people and groups who would take actions aren't going to announce it to the public like Anonymous or one of those hacker groups. Unless one of the people in the emails comes forward to say something has happened we won't know.

However based on the trend of some of her fans reactions to people being pulled up by her, it's not out of the realms of possibility that action has or will be taken as long as the information remains up.

Dragonbums:

Anita has registered Feminist Frequency as a charity she is now subject to the same rules as many other organizations including data privacy.

Except that Feminist Frequency did not "release" info on them. Anita did. And from what I've read in previous posts, this seems to be a thing in the UN only. Anita is not living in, nor is her company based in Europe. So those rules don't even apply anyway.

Actually it did. Anita has two twitter accounts a public one where she represents feminist frequency and a private twitter account which is actually set to only allow approved people to view tweets from it. Her twitter account which posted this information was @FemFreq not @anitasarkeesian so no it wasn't her posting it rouge it was her representing her organisation posting it now.

EU Data protection rules apply pretty much globally (yes I believe even the US has signed up to abide by them)

Mooncomix:

IF it's an accident you remove the information and apologise. You do not leave the information still up and claim it's all a conspiracy against you. If it was an accident Anita isn't acting like it. She's acting like she's the victim of a conspiracy and claiming the tweets being shown are fake. Yet they are on her account still to this day.

TopazFusion:
Not that I'm condoning doxing or anything, but how do we know that guy didn't use a throwaway email account and proxy IP address?

If he didn't even take basic measures to mask his own identity before sending something like that, then he's even more of an idiot than that email makes him out to be.

It does not excuse the action of dropping what could well be real information. Blaming the victim of the Dox for no taking enough security measure or saying they deserved it.

Well it sounds very much like other kinds of victim blaming there to me.

Tygerml:
I try to stay out of this topic, I really do, because it just goes to show how terrible people on the internet can be.

Now as far as an IP address goes, yes they're usually dynamic, yes they can be spoofed, but Wikipedia does this to anyone that makes a change to their website, your IP address is logged and placed on public display. How is that not a crime, but this is?

Publication of private facts means releasing something of a shocking or embarrassing nature, like the commentators are closet BDSM fetishists or pedophiles or something. The only fact it revealed is that they're assholes, which isn't particularly shocking.

I don't know Anita aside from what's said about her here, I don't frequent her videos or site, but I really think some of you jumping on the bandwagon to paint her as some extremist criminal/zealot really need to consider that you may be just as much of an extremist zealot in your quest to discredit/expose/shame her. And perhaps you need to consider that with everything that's gone on, maybe she's not entirely wrong about what she's saying.

Terms and conditions is the big difference here. Wikipedia has them. Femenist frequency doesn't give you them.

Claiming that submitting your email on a site means it and you IP are allowed to become public knowledge isn't something that happens in law. Most websites actually ask for expressed permission to share your information with third parties. Fem Freq doesn't ask. This is really and issue of releasing the information without consent to do so, and many sites won't make details public in this way.

To be honest here, based on these recent actions it's clear she's either being extremely dumb or extremely manipulative to deliberately try and court more objections and potentially more abuse which she can claim is because she's female.

Sorry to say this but it's not because she's female it's because she's acted and has been acting in pretty unethical manner both in her main work and in her public persona. People aren't objecting because she's female, they're objecting because she's acting in a pretty unethical manner. The same as people objected to Doritos gate on IGN. Did People Object to IGN because it was a games review site, or was it because of their actions.

Mark my words on this, in maybe 1-3 years Anita will have a new kickstarter up asking to do more work on the subject. At present considering her last video was carried by almost no site, she's realise how she's slipped out of relevance and has taken a number of actions recently to try and gain the relevance back.

Announcing a Twitch stream publicly then cutting it short claiming the chat was too abusive.
Posting peoples information
Posting articles that were very controversial.
Deliberately attacking and commenting on well known and liked games.
Deliberately accusing whole fandoms of being toxic such as her claim that Smash Brothers fans were rampant misogynists.

Anita is trying to find a new hornets nest to poke but it's not been working. She's not getting the huge backlash she wants to be able to again claim this is why she's needed.

TopazFusion:

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

You're not only victim blaming, but, seeing no irony in people believing her claims that she was being harassed by email without any question whilst intensely questioning her committing an illegal act?

You also immediately assume the victim is male. Which is interesting.

briankoontz:

Ryan Hughes:
And the mention of Sarkieesian makes the entire internet act like 5th graders again. . . Seriously, if you don't like her, ignore her. That is what I do with Sarah Palin and Kim Kardashian. It actually works out really well, and I live a life with much lower stress because of it. Just let go. It is ok, everything will be fine.

That doesn't work if you want to understand the world. The interests of other people need to become your own. Sarah Palin, Kim Kardashian, and Anita Sarkeesian are all important in the world - ignoring them just hurts your own understanding.

Even if you oppose them, the phrase "know thy enemy" applies.

The idea is not to be ignorant, but to keep things in perspective. For example, yesterday after writing this I studied up a bit on the history of the conflict between Ireland and England, and found many things that are parallel to the ongoing conflict between Palestine and Israel. Quite enlightening as a whole. If I had been concerned with this story, I would not have been able to do that. You must understand that the impact on the world of a Pailin or Kardashian is actually far smaller than many would have you believe; in the end they are nearly inconsequential when we look at them in that vein. Ms. Sarkeesian perhaps arguably even more so when all is said and done.

The echo chamber effect of media distorts reality and people have actually learned to profit from this distortion itself. Kardashian being a fine example of this. But, changing your priorities and perspectives really helps to negate this effect, and causes less stress as an added bonus. I do not see Ms. Sarkeesian as an enemy, and even if she was evil, her impact is nothing compared to the wider flow of the world.

erbkaiser:
No, no, haven't you heard? They're "fake tweets", everyone who saw them on her account must have been hallucinating. They've all disappeared from her feed, and just to let us know that she is being oppressed again Anita informed us with this:

Wait what? I just was on her twitter account a few seconds ago and checked and found the tweets of her? If she's really calling fake tweets, without even removing her tweets thats an entirely new level of stupid.

Amaror:

erbkaiser:
No, no, haven't you heard? They're "fake tweets", everyone who saw them on her account must have been hallucinating. They've all disappeared from her feed, and just to let us know that she is being oppressed again Anita informed us with this:

Wait what? I just was on her twitter account a few seconds ago and checked and found the tweets of her? If she's really calling fake tweets, without even removing her tweets thats an entirely new level of stupid.

To be fair i think she reached that level of stupid a long time ago.

IceForce:
[

Similar in the sense that YOU CAN PUT ANY EMAIL ADDRESS YOU LIKE IN THERE. It'll probably accept anything you put in there.

I wonder if people would be as irate about this, if they knew that the email addresses were fake, and the IPs linked to some library or internet cafe or something.

Maybe someone with computer skills can test this theory? Not for malicious purposes of course, but just so we can be sure of all the details.

Let's assume he put a fake e-mail address and posted it from an internet cafe... So what? How does she know that? Indeed she doesn't. So from a perpetrator oriented analysis this doesn't matter. The perpetrator willfully spread the info she had without asking.

The_Kodu:

Extra work that Anita did not do because that info was already given to her. Also someone above just posted recent images that suggest that the sender did not even use their own email address anyway.

Aside from the fact that there are extra protections to hiding ones' true IP address on the web, I do not need you to spell out for me what someone can do with an IP address. I already know.

That we know of so far not a single fan of Anita has done anything with the info inside the email.

Obviously. Fans of Anita are not fucking obsessed about the woman as her "critics" are. It literally doesn't surprised me none of her fanbase did fucking anything with the info.

Unless one of the people in the emails comes forward to say something has happened we won't know.

Considering how you guys scour the web for every single source of dirt on her, I'm pretty damn sure if something happened to him the sender would of reported it for clicks and fueling the fire.

However based on the trend of some of her fans reactions to people being pulled up by her, it's not out of the realms of possibility that action has or will be taken as long as the information remains up.

What exactly have these fans done in the past to warrant such a hypothesis? You all seem to be talking about fanatic Anita fans that never seem to actually exist anywhere but in your imagination.

Actually it did. Anita has two twitter accounts a public one where she represents feminist frequency and a private twitter account which is actually set to only allow approved people to view tweets from it. Her twitter account which posted this information was @FemFreq not @anitasarkeesian so no it wasn't her posting it rouge it was her representing her organisation posting it now.

EU Data protection rules apply pretty much globally (yes I believe even the US has signed up to abide by them)

I bet. And I'm pretty sure if she "broke teh rulez" than someone would of reported her by now. So either nobody gives a shit, It isn't worth EU Data Protections time, or Anita didn't do anything illegal in screencapping an email- an email which was probably forumulated through a "Contact Us" form where anyone can slap any "email" on there as long as it has a @.com on it. So why don't you go and report her then? Seeing as how livid you are about her breaching "da rulzs"

TopazFusion:

The Lunatic:

I assume everyone on the internet is male, unless told otherwise. It's easier that way.

Furthermore, I dare any of you to find me a non-troll female who will tip her fedora at the end of a message.

Dragonbums:

The_Kodu:

Extra work that Anita did not do because that info was already given to her. Also someone above just posted recent images that suggest that the sender did not even use their own email address anyway.

We do not know that for sure in reality. Many weird and wonderful email addresses are out there.

Dragonbums:

Aside from the fact that there are extra protections to hiding ones' true IP address on the web, I do not need you to spell out for me what someone can do with an IP address. I already know.

I do not see how blaming the person who's IP address has potentially been posted is a positive approach when a criminal act has occurred.
There are a number of possible retaliations Ms Sarkeesian could have picked. The one she chose was the illegal one. It does not make her actions right or justified simple because she felt offended by them.

Dragonbums:

Obviously. Fans of Anita are not fucking obsessed about the woman as her "critics" are. It literally doesn't surprised me none of her fanbase did fucking anything with the info.

As I said That we know of. That doesn't mean it isn't being done, I illustrated to a previous poster that there is a trend of this. Infact some of the people pulled up by Anita have faced mass reports to have them banned.
No matter the feelings on their actions it doesn't negate the fact there is a trend of action being taken by some fans.
Also fans of Anita are pretty obsessed it's just a lot more of a rare occurrence that anyone calls them on it.

Dragonbums:

Unless one of the people in the emails comes forward to say something has happened we won't know.

Considering how you guys scour the web for every single source of dirt on her, I'm pretty damn sure if something happened to him the sender would of reported it for clicks and fueling the fire.

Does the fact nothing has happened negate the criminal act here ?

Hell maybe worse, maybe the guy can't say anything because his IP is constantly being flooded.

Dragonbums:

What exactly have these fans done in the past to warrant such a hypothesis? You all seem to be talking about fanatic Anita fans that never seem to actually exist anywhere but in your imagination.

Check back and look at the reply I posted earlier, plenty of nice name calling going on from fans.

Dragonbums:

I bet. And I'm pretty sure if she "broke teh rulez" than someone would of reported her by now. So either nobody gives a shit, It isn't worth EU Data Protections time, or Anita didn't do anything illegal in screencapping an email- an email which was probably forumulated through a "Contact Us" form where anyone can slap any "email" on there as long as it has a @.com on it. So why don't you go and report her then? Seeing as how livid you are about her breaching "da rulzs"

Again it's entirely up to the people involved to make the claim and pass it through the EU court. They may not even be aware of it at present or for all we know it's stuck in the 4-6 week processing time the EU court has.

IceForce:

Tygerml:

You're absolutely right, and I'm ashamed I didn't notice this sooner.

To everyone else in this thread: Look at the screenshot again:

*snip

You can clearly see that it was submitted using a "Contact Form URL". More specifically, this:
http://www.feministfrequency.com/contact/

Which is VERY similar to this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/

Haha. And for the twist.
Not to mention, if they're sending out that kind of vitiriol, they'd be silly to use their real email. I don't even use my real email for escapist, and I'm not in the habit of sending defecating emails.

Much ado about nothing. I didn't hear this level of furor on escapist when her personal details were being distributed. Sure one wrong doesn't excuse another. But what you choose to become outraged over is telling, especially if the outrage is one way.

TopazFusion:

The Lunatic:

TopazFusion:

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

You're not only victim blaming, but, seeing no irony in people believing her claims that she was being harassed by email without any question whilst intensely questioning her committing an illegal act?

The_Kodu:
Well it sounds very much like other kinds of victim blaming there to me.

Oh I see, "victim". Riiight.

You can't be serious.

Forgive me if I don't consider someone who sends an outrageously offensive email / contact message, full of profanity and insults, as a "victim" in anything here.

The Lunatic:

I assume everyone on the internet is male, unless told otherwise. It's easier that way.

Just because it's an asshole doesn't make it justified to commit what is a crime against them.
This not the old west where someone wronged you so you can do as you please.

To go back the the example put forward earlier by someone of a mouthy guy in a bar insulting someone. Sure people might not look twice is you punch the guys lights out and walk away. However if you and your friends beat him into ayear next tuesday then chances are people will care a little more.

No matter how much you feel someone deserved it, it's about the scale of the retaliation. It's an eye for an eye, not an Eye for an eye, arm, leg foot, ear and 2 fingers.

Anita could have posted the emails and blurred out the information, she didn't. She could have simply reacted by signing them up to a number of mailing lists herself or reporting the email the the email provider. But she didn't Anita chose to do something that is illegal and commit a crime against them. In that crime they are the victim.
Anita made the choice of how to respond to them they didn't make the choice themselves.

Well, didn't want to have to post here, it seemed pretty clear cut that anita was doing something outright against the law in response to something dickish but otherwise perfectly legal thus was pretty open and shut in regards to her being wrong.

Unfortunately it seems this was too complex a situation for that so lets do some quick break downs here.

The person sending the email? Well, they are dicks so in that regard, they are in the wrong. This is a moral wrong though as it broke no rules, it is just being a foul mouthed jackhole.

Anita trying to publicly shame the guy's internet persona is perfectly fine. Once the message was sent to her, it was her choice what to do with it, up to and including publishing it. That part is perfectly fine.

Anita trying to publicly shame the guy by posting what could lead to personal information while being a popular figurehead of a collective of people including extremists is morally wrong as it implies a desire for mob mentality retribution. Furthermore, it is legitimately against the law. so no matter how much people try to defend it as "what he deserves", it was in the wrong, massively.

About those trying to argue that the address was fake, I am sorry, but that doesn't remove the intent or the mistake in anita for posting it. If I take a shot at someone with a high powered rifle, it doesn't make it suddenly ok I tried to kill a man just because I missed the shot. The intent and illegality of what I was trying to do remains there, regardless how effective I was in succeeding.

So at the end of the day, the person sending the email was an asshole, but Anita was the actual criminal.

I don't get people defending her actions in the least. No one says only one party has to be wrong here, and last I checked very few people were legitimately defending the guy sending a troll message to her. But regardless the extent of how mean spirited the message, saying mean things to someone does not give the right to legitimately risk their safety in any civilized society.

As someone else said here, there is an escalation here from insults to reckless endangerment at best if not outright attempts to bring mob retribution at worst. At no point does the person insulting another "deserve" that any more then Anita herself deserved it when people released whatever about her. Both are wrong, and any instance of it is illegal, regardless the motivation behind it.

TopazFusion:
Oh I see, "victim". Riiight.

You can't be serious.

Forgive me if I don't consider someone who sends an outrageously offensive email / contact message, full of profanity and insults, as a "victim" in anything here.

I really cannot believe I'm hearing this from a member of staff on this site.

You're actually saying that sending an angry email is justification for having your personal information posted on the internet.

I can't even come up with a response for that.

You do know it's illegal, right? To give out information send to you in private is actually illegal and something could come of that.

But, you're saying, it's completely fine because the wording "He" used was "Offensive".

And then you go on to mock the fact that people are calling you out for this.

Wow, really?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked