Hyrule Warriors Direct: Do Not Pursue The Demon King!

So, about an hour ago, Nintendo just released a Nintendo direct centered on the Zelda/Warriors mashup: Hyrule Warriors. For those who are interested in this game, or those who want to learn how to play any Warriors game should watch the video.

The Good:
- Multiple Playable Characters from many Zelda Games
- Cukoos
- Playable Villains such as Zant, Girahim, and Gannondorf
- Multiple Items for each player
- Cukoos
- An adventure mode harking to the original Legend of Zelda
- Giant Bombchus
- Gannondorf rocking an excellent mane
- Cukoos

The Bad:
- No Online Co-op
- No Tingle
- A smaller character list compared to other Dynasty Warriors (looks to be under 20)
- No Collector's Edition with blue scarf
- No Tingle
- Retailer-Specific Pre-Order Bonuses (Costumes, others available via DLC) (Also a Koei Staple so take it up with them)
- Cukoos regulated to a weapon
- No Tingle

So, what are your thoughts on Nintendo's latest Direct? Anyone actually excited for this game other than me?

For me, I'm personally fine with no online co-op for Hyrule Warriors. Though I blame that on local co-op with the original DW games with a friend of mine. Also, I kinda chuckle at cukoos as weaponry in the game. >_>

I don't see how "no Tingle" is a con. It's damn well a pro in my book.

Unfortunate about the lack of online coop, but Nintendo has always been bad about putting online into their games, so that's pretty much par for the course. They make up for it in other ways, and I still always prefer local coop to online coop any day.

Not that I really care about this game since Dynasty Warriors doesn't appeal to me nor do I have a WiiU.

That adventure mode might be a good ideal for fans like me that weren't really interested in a Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda paint job.

Dirty Hipsters:
I don't see how "no Tingle" is a con.

If they let me beat the living hell out of Tingle, I would fly to Japan and write a check personally to Mr. Iwata to buy a Wii U and a copy of this game.

So at this point all the players have been announced? Even if that's the case, sounds like a really fun game with an adventure mode, and if the reviews are solid, might be a day one purchase for me. Knew that the villains would be playable, and look forward to running around as Zant and Ganondorf. I don't mind if they do a much smaller character roster, since that means each one should be unique. I can see them wanting to see the reception of this game, and if it's loved enough and sells enough, they will make another one with more characters in it. They might wait until after the new Zelda game so they can add characters from that.

I am excited about this game!
Since the video is there I guess I don't need spoilers (watched it myself an hour ago on theEshop)
Zant and Ganondorf I didn't know were payable characters.
The "forging" of weapons seems nice, characters are varying so combat, and finding your favorite character will be a small adventure of its own. Adventure mode seems cool :D and of course the co-op will be nice!
How do you know there's no online co-op? They only talked about the local co-op and how it works, but they never mentioned the online co-op, didn't say no or yes...?

talking about the co-op and online play!
if you want to play with fellow Escapist members. Be sure to join the "WiiU Online Multiplayer" user group. We have a few members and some have been playing a little MarioKart together and I think a few have been Monster Hunting too. I hope the group will really kickoff with SmashBros and later Splatoon.
Be sure to check it out and welcome! :)

Overall a pretty great direct. I'm glad the villains are confirmed to be playable.

The only thing i'm disappointed in is Ganondorf. He looks like he will be the Orochi/So'sano of the game(One step above Lu Bu) But i was hoping for a more magic based moveset rather then one that focuses on swordplay. I still remembered when Ganondorf was still chiefly known as an evil Sorcerer rather then a peerless warrior.

this game needs more characters :/ Young Lnk, Medli, Ravio, Groose, Shadow Link, Ralph, Linebeck, Aveil, and Byrne should all be playable :(

At first I was pretty annoyed with the preorder retail exclusive costumes for the game, but considering it means I get a costume set for free instead of having to buy all of them, I guess it's pretty cool. Plus I always register my games at club Nintendo so I'll get the Ganondorf skins anyway. Of course I would prefer that the costumes be unlockable in the game, but obviously that doesn't happen much anymore.

Still excited for the game, but I have a feeling there won't be too many more characters in the game. Everyone likes to point out the DW games have tons of characters, but I don't think it's going to happen for Hyrule Warriors. I would love to be proven wrong of course.

Super Cyborg:
So at this point all the players have been announced?

I certainly hope not.

GZGoten:
this game needs more characters :/ Young Link, Medli, Ravio, Groose, Shadow Link, Ralph, Linebeck, Aveil, and Byrne should all be playable :(

I'm hoping we see some more as well. I know we saw Dark Link in the trailer, but it didn't reveal whether or not he'd be playable. Personally I'm hoping for Medli, Ravio, Groose, Linebeck, Tetra, Old Man, Ashei and maybe Ilia.

Also, I just want to point out that I like Ganondorf's new style. It's pretty interesting, although it's a little brighter then what I'm used to on him.

The only thing I really like are the character designs, minus that new character they're pushing who looks really out of place in a Zelda game.

Just look at Ganondorf. He looks like a tank with rocking hair.

Super Cyborg:

I highly doubt it. Remember that Aounoma and the other guy (sorry I forgot his name.) said that in the adventure mode, you can unlock a bunch of characters only available in that mode. Which implies that they are secret and you'll probably just have to figure out who they are when you play the game.

The characters they talked about prominently in the Direct seem to be main characters in the story, and highly notable villains. After all, you can't make a statement like "If you have a favorite Zelda character, chances are it will be in the game." and feature only the wildly popular ones with a few quirky ones from TP and Ocarina of Time.

It has actually been stated that the characters are pulled from three eras and the hyrule warriors world.
Aka, we are only getting skyward sword, oot, and twilight princess characters for now, alongside some OCs.

New Frontiersman:

Super Cyborg:

I certainly hope not.

GZGoten:
this game needs more characters :/ Young Link, Medli, Ravio, Groose, Shadow Link, Ralph, Linebeck, Aveil, and Byrne should all be playable :(

I'm hoping we see some more as well. I know we saw Dark Link in the trailer, but it didn't reveal whether or not he'd be playable. Personally I'm hoping for Medli, Ravio, Groose, Linebeck, Tetra, Old Man, Ashei and maybe Ilia.

Also, I just want to point out that I like Ganondorf's new style. It's pretty interesting, although it's a little brighter then what I'm used to on him.

I'm still waiting on the rest of the sages (Raaru, Nabooru and Saria) as well as the Oracles villains. If they're all shut out in favor of Agitha and Lana, I think I'll flip a table.

Super Cyborg:

It won't stop until GROOSE is announced... after that I can care less about who they put in because GROOSE is all that matters... or just throw Lu Bu in. That way Link's very first line in any Zelda game history, minus the CDi atrocities, will be "Do not pursue Lu Bu" followed by a "Hyaah".

OT: Ganondorf looks goddamn attractive. Pls put this as a costume in Smash 4 Nintendo.

actually if anyone is Lu Bu it'd be Valga due to his bloodthirsty nature, choice of weapon, and outrageous power (though admittedly we haven't seen much gameplay of him); Ganondorf is more like a completely evil version of Nobunaga (though his moveset reminds me of Kagekatsu from Samurai Warriors 4). The roster doesn't bother me as due to some characters having multiple styles it's basically a way to put in a completely new moveset, so it's more around 20+.

Dragonbums:

I highly doubt it. Remember that Aounoma and the other guy (sorry I forgot his name.) said that in the adventure mode, you can unlock a bunch of characters only available in that mode. Which implies that they are secret and you'll probably just have to figure out who they are when you play the game.

The characters they talked about prominently in the Direct seem to be main characters in the story, and highly notable villains. After all, you can't make a statement like "If you have a favorite Zelda character, chances are it will be in the game." and feature only the wildly popular ones with a few quirky ones from TP and Ocarina of Time.

That and the main website still has "coming soon" panels for the character selection. There are probably a few more characters coming, though the game is out next week in Japan so that's when we find out. Also, this screenshot shows the full map of the Adventure Mode and has some interesting icons that seem to indicate characters that can be unlocked:

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/hyrule-warriors_20/hyrule-warriors-46.jpg

TheMigrantSoldier:

New Frontiersman:

Super Cyborg:

I certainly hope not.

GZGoten:

I'm still waiting on the rest of the sages (Raaru, Nabooru and Saria) as well as the Oracle's villains. If they're all shut out in favor of Agitha and Lana, I think I'll flip a table.

To be fair, they did actually say that they're only drawing characters from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. So while the other sages are possible I'm pretty sure the villains from the Oracle games are not. Although that probably means most of my suggestions are pretty unlikely as well. As for the sages I think Nabooru is the most likely choice with Saria as a close second.

New Frontiersman:

TheMigrantSoldier:

New Frontiersman:

I certainly hope not.

I'm still waiting on the rest of the sages (Raaru, Nabooru and Saria) as well as the Oracle's villains. If they're all shut out in favor of Agitha and Lana, I think I'll flip a table.

To be fair, they did actually say that they're only drawing characters from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. So while the other sages are possible I'm pretty sure the villains from the Oracle games are not. Although that probably means most of my suggestions are pretty unlikely as well. As for the sages I think Nabooru is the most likely choice with Saria as a close second.

Really? In that case, I still hold them to release the sages, especially Nabooru. If they can make a non-combatant bug girl a fighter, they could try Raaru.

I'm positive there are going to be a lot more characters to play as. I don't mind if they keep the full roster a secret but giving us a number would be great. Warriors games, even the early ones, had really large casts of playable characters after all. As for something I really liked about the Direct, I just want to say the title of this thread is perfectly fitting. I'm having trouble not calling him Demon King Gu-Bu...but I want to play as him in Beast form dammit.

I'm hoping for at least 24 playable characters when all is said and done but that would still be a small cast in my opinion...and now I've just come to the realization that Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage only has 9 playable characters...and Gundam had a few dozen with more added for each sequel so, I'm still hoping for at least 24 playable characters dammit.

Hades:
Overall a pretty great direct. I'm glad the villains are confirmed to be playable.

The only thing i'm disappointed in is Ganondorf. He looks like he will be the Orochi/So'sano of the game(One step above Lu Bu) But i was hoping for a more magic based moveset rather then one that focuses on swordplay. I still remembered when Ganondorf was still chiefly known as an evil Sorcerer rather then a peerless warrior.

To be fair, he does have time magic:

...and good hair product...

Hades:

To be fair, it's pretty likely he'll be getting more movesets, and there's a precedent of melee based characters getting magic oriented weapons (Link's Fire Rod and Zelda's Wind Waker).

One thing that confuses me is the lack of enemy variety. You have your moblin and stalfos mooks with some special enemies but that's it. The LoZ series has a variety of good enemies for things like this. Where are the random darknuts, wizzrobes, iron Knuckles, and shadow beasts? They'd make challenging enemies.

Hmm I was tempted by the limited edition but it's 50(around €64).Add probably another €7 or €8 euro for postage on top of that as I'd have to order it from the UK and you're looking at around €70 total.That's one bloody expensive scarf

Think I might just stick to the regular edition which is around €40 instead

TheMigrantSoldier:

New Frontiersman:

TheMigrantSoldier:

Really? In that case, I still hold them to release the sages, especially Nabooru. If they can make a non-combatant bug girl a fighter, they could try Raaru.

Well, I'm pretty sure that was the case anyway, I could be wrong though.

Hades:

I'm still hoping for the day they go back to him using a Trident. If that was one of his weapons in this game, I would buy this game at the drop of a hat.

Although, I am glad he does have some magic. More than his smash incarnation has by far.

I was in the mood for a new Musou type game the last one I played properly was Dynasty Warriors 2 when the PS2 came out. However I have just got Warriors Orochi 3 instead after it finally became affordable (held its price well) and am having fun with that instead that said I may pick this game up in a few years (10 or so).

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked