Just bought Dark Souls. Got any tips?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just bought Darks Souls and I was wondering if i could get some tips or resources before i start playing it.

Ehhh. I recomend going in blind for your first playthrough. It's way more fun that way.

Also , don't attack npcs , they don't like that. Although i killed every non merchant npc on my first playthrough, because i can.

Let's see...

- I suggest going in as a warrior or wanderer. Wanderers are pretty fast, so if you can handle evading most attacks, they'll suit you well. I'd probably suggest the warrior, though. They have strong shields (which is huge), good armor, are pretty mobile, can use heavy weapons early on.

All the other ones have significant flaws. The knight's slow and unwieldy. The bandit's got weak armor. The hunter's arrows can only be bought in one place in the early game. Sorcerer's useless against large groups. The thief is deadly, but fragile. The deprived is useless, no starting equipment whatsoever. But really, if one of the other options look better to you, go for it. Classes are just starting points, and you can put points into whatever stat you like.

-Pick the Master Key as gift. It's going to be far more useful than everything else, and can't be got till way later in game.

-I second @krazykidd in that you really shouldn't attack NPCs, especially not the blue guy you meet directly after you get to Firelink.

-You have to be human to summon NPC's for boss fights, not Hollow/Undead. Reverse hollowing at bonfires.

-There's tons to do around Firelink. Talk to Petrus of Thorolund, and if you have a high enough faith stat, he'll teach you Miracles. Do a run around the graveyard. Don't bother trying to fight the skeletons. Just open every chest you see. You'll get tons of great weapons equipment. If you head down the elevator underneath Firelink, take the path on the left and cross the shallow water, avoid the ghosts and you'll get a firekeeper soul. Talk to the lady locked up under the Firelink bonfire, and she'll use the Firekeeper soul to increase the health gained from Estus flasks.

-The Taurus Demon is going to be an unrealistically harsh challenge for your point in the game, so I'll give you two tips:
1. As soon as you enter the grey fog and walk down the steps, there'll be a ladder. Climb it, and kill the two undead archers. Otherwise, they'll start shooting at you as you fight the demon. The perch they're on is also great for drop attacking the Taurus Demon.
2. The Taurus Demon is weak to lighting, so use your Gold Pine Resin to defeat him.

After the Taurus Demon, you are (to me) officially in Dark Souls proper. Good luck, and prepare to die.

Don't go down into the graveyard when you first arrive at Firelink. That is not the right way.

People will tell you to get the Master Key as a starting gift. It's a good choice, but I have a different opinion. Do you care about the story in Dark Souls? Are you going to read the descriptions and try to piece together everything you can, or are you just going in to kill stuff? If you care about the story, then I suggest you pick The Old Witch's Ring. It has a special purpose that really adds a new depth to the story.

Do not be afraid to try out different play styles. My character started out as a Wanderer with a high DEX attack, but I ended up using spells way more than actually using a blade. I just picked whichever play style seemed to work best.

Finally, if you want to get spells early, you will need to put some points into intel. The reason being that you will meet a wizard (if you do certain things) and he will sell spells, but if your stats are too low, he won't sell them until you meet him again much later in the game.

TheRiddler:
snip

Sniper Team 4:
snip

Thank you both for the intel and a lot of things to think about when i do start the game. :) BTW I look for story along with my combat. Its why i loved final fantasy tactics and I like learning about the world that i play in.

Class selection is important early on, but gets less important the further you progress in the game, since every character eventually gets access to everything. Personally, I'm a huge fan of using a Pyromancer as a starter since a lot of early enemies are weak to fire, and it gives you some range (super useful against more heavily armored enemies).

Stamina is everything in this game. When you're playing always make sure to not to fully deplete your stamina bar while attacking. Always leave a little bit of stamina to roll away from an attack if necessary. There are weapons that will allow you to attack from behind a shield, these weapons are really really useful early on when you don't have much health (my personal favorite of the bunch is the Estoc, which is a piercing sword that you get in New Londo Ruins, which is right below firelink).

If you're having trouble getting to the blacksmith in Undead Parish there is an often overlooked blacksmith in new londo ruins who can upgrade your weapons and make the beginning of the game a little easier, if you have titanite shards.

Remember, the AI in this game is surprisingly dumb. You can usually lure away single enemies with ranged attacks and fight one on one instead of in groups, which makes things significantly easier.

Remember, just try not to get frustrated and have fun.

crimsonshrouds:
Thank you both for the intel and a lot of things to think about when i do start the game. :) BTW I look for story along with my combat. Its why i loved final fantasy tactics and I like learning about the world that i play in.

If that is the case in terms of story, then I do suggest you pick the Old Witch's Ring. It won't prove useful until you have rung both bells of awakening (or just one, if you choose to go down first, but most people on their first run don't). If you haven't figured it out by the time you have rung both bells, I suggest you look it up, but try to figure out what the ring does on your own.

And if you are looking for the story, you will need to read the item descriptions on nearly everything. I'm sure you've already heard this, but the story in Dark Souls isn't told directly to you. You have to piece it together based on what characters tell you, what happens, and most importantly, item descriptions.

An example would be that there are two items in the game and when you read both of the descriptions, you'll notice that something doesn't add up in a certain area of the game, and it is up to you to decide if you want to face the consequences of finding out the truth...

Don't go in blind. Here's the wiki. Absorb as much as you can, or nothing will make sense.

And yeah, stamina is everything, resistance is useless, etc etc.

krazykidd:
Ehhh. I recomend going in blind for your first playthrough. It's way more fun that way.

Also , don't attack npcs , they don't like that. Although i killed every non merchant npc on my first playthrough, because i can.

Yeah, everything resets when you use a bonfire, except for npcs. If you have to break anything near an npc, just use the rolling attack thingy. It will break stuff, but it won't hurt the npcs.

Do NOT get the master key starting off because it will derail normal progression. I remember I did it when I first played and completely missed entire areas & npcs because of it. Also, look up the mechanics on humanity, the game does a poor job of explaining it. Another tip is to pay attention to more then just what has the highest attack/armor. There are other things to consider such as equipment load, move set, damage type & stamina.

Repost from another thread. Also I recomend going i blind to discover the world and fights yourself. My tips are purely mechanical to help you understand the game better and thus perform better while playing it. If you need more help dont be afraid to seek out the dark souls community. Despite rumor we're actually very inclusive

To start you need to keep in mind that dark souls isnt for everyone. If you arent enjoying it then you arent enjoying it and its ok to put the game down. It doesnt make you a bad gamer or any nonsense like that it just means the game isnt for you.

That said the best advice I can give is learn from your mistakes. Its ok to go in to simply observe how a boss fights. When you learn the tells of those bosses you wont necessarily need to block/dodge because you'll just move out of the way, get around them, or stagger them during attack animations that completely miss.

Something else you can do is go from normal difficulty mode to easy difficulty mode by upgrading your equipment at the blacksmith (dark souls has difficulty modes but its not a slider). If you need shards you can get them by killing balder knights (the guys with the red capes) around the church. There should be 5 or 6 of them around if you can clear the whole area before returning to the bonfire. They also drop pieces of armor, a pretty good shield, and the Balder side sword which is one of my favorite dexterity based weapons in the game.

You can summon other players to help. Theres usually white sigils or sunbro marks just outside the church. Failing that you can also summon Solaire and Lautrec inside the church. However I do not recomend that you summon players to help. The reason being that IMO it effects the sense of accomplishment that you get from overcoming the bosses. If you do it solo it just feels a lot better. That goes for all bosses

The third thing in mind is know your mechanics and your equipment. Use your shield and dodges properly so you arent depleting yourself of stamina. Get in, get a few hits in, and back out. If you need to use estus do so when the boss is either out of range or in an attack animation that wont hit you. Your weaponry also plays a big part of the fight. Its ok to use speedy weapons or slow heavy weapons if you use them properly. You dont want to use the heavy attack of a Zwienhander unless you've got the right opening and you will only learn those openings through experience with the boss. Now if you go into the stats of your gear, particularly your weapons youll notice they have letters under certain attributes. A normal longsword will be C and C for strength and dexterity while Astora's straight sword will have a C C and C under strength, dexterity, and faith. What these are is scaling effects meaning the higher your stats are in these abilities the better the weapon does. So if youre a dexterity based character a weapon like the balder side sword (which has E strength and B dex scaling) is going to work better for you then say a longsword (which has C strength and dex scaling).

Lets see...oh cut that tail on the first gargoyle for a nifty ax. You can do it with any slashing weapon like the broadsword, claymore, bandit knife, whatever. The second gargoyle doesnt have a tail so dont worry about him.

Also dont worry about classes, just design your character how you want them. You can beat the game with any kind of character, yes even one where you did nothing but sink your points into resistance (tested that one myself) although I dont recomend that since the return on resistance is awful. Just find yourself a playstyle that you enjoy and run with it, if you need help adapting that playstyle for certain bosses the dark souls community will always be there to help with advice

I hope that youll start enjoying the game more. It really is an excellent game and a glorious piece of art but Ill reiterate that Dark souls isnt for everyone.

Do not, after you leave the first area of the game, go to the cemetery with the skeletons.

You are just going to waste your time. You wanna try that area later.

When you reach the place under the bridge, with a clear shot at the Red Dragon, you can proceed to snipe off its tail which gives you a pretty sweet weapon. It should carry you through most of the game, however upgrading it is rather pricey. For another really easy weapon, I'd suggest killing off the first merchant you come across in Undead Burg, but be sure to grab a bow and 100+ arrows from him before you decide to do so. He drops his katana, it can carry you through the whole of NG if you constantly upgrade it through your play through.

Oh, and avoid killing NPC's as they stay dead forever and some of the skill vendors are usually indispensable. Especially the pyromancy trainer, some of his spells can wreck in late game and PVP even if you aren't a mage. You can ask around on the Dark Souls wiki in-case you have any questions or are just looking for jolly co-op, some of the people there are pretty awesome.

GL & HF, Praise the sun! /o/

I'd definitely recommend using the wiki to look up stats and so on... They make no sense whatsoever, so going in "blind" will probably lead to a fair number of wasted/badly spent souls.

On the other hand, definitely go blind for the actual game progression unless you absolutely need to look something up.

I would not recommend the Master Key if you are a newcomer to the game. It opens up all kinds of useful shortcuts early in the game, but unless you know what you are doing, you might just end up getting yourself killed since more often than not, the areas those shortcuts lead to are not meant to be traversed just yet. ("Meant to be" being used very lightly, but one of the most annoying levels in the game can be skipped with the key... But you should experience it at least once.) That being said, I also recommend the Old Witch's Ring. There is an alternative way of getting it, but the method is obtuse and cannot be done until later in the game.

Never, and I mean never level up your resistance. In both PvE and PvP, the stat is nigh useless. The points are literally better spent in any other stat.

Just about everything is weak to lightning, especially dragons.

Pyromancer is the "easy mode" class of the game, at least in my experience. Pyromancy in general requires no investment other than having your flame upgraded and however many attunement slots you need/want. Compatible with just about any kind of build, particularly if you are not hellbent on limiting your soul level. It also starts out at level 1, making it a tad more flexible than the other classes.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130511030612/darksouls/images/6/67/20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg

Nice tips =) If you are interested in the story, be sure to read item descriptions and talk to NPC's multiple times at various moments in the game (after you've beaten several bosses or so)

What system are you playing on?

If its PC you need a few mods to make the game playable.

DSFix
DSMFix 1.0.2.0

Without these the game will play like crap.

Actually Pyromancer is the best starting class, you get a non-mp dependant fireball spell that automatically refills which is great and the other bell you need to get to is from a door in the the Undead Parish.

Lot's of good tips already. I won't give specific game tips because I think a blind experience (minus how stats work) and finding what works for you is a better method. I didn't go in blind and i think it dampened the experience a little. I will just say be cautious, be patient, expect to die a lot but work to overcome it, and pay attention to the environment.

One big tip here, dont waste souls on upgrading stats you dont need to too much. If you're planning a melee build, generally you shouldnt put points into say Faith or Intellect. Also dont put points into resistance, its useless. Be smart with your stats as after you reach about Soul Level 50, leveling up once will cost you over 10K souls. Upgrading your gear will give you a far more immediate benefit than upgrading your stats, so make sure you dont neglect to upgrade your weapons and armor. Also dont be afraid to google how things like poise and damage scaling work. The game doesnt explain it to you so theres no shame in it

I'd recommend avoiding items/weapons that make the game significantly easier (master key, drake sword, gravelord sword). People say go in blind but I'd recommend going in partially blind. And by that I mean don't be afraid to look up info on the game's mechanics. Things like stats, improving your weapons, damage scaling, how the online aspect works and so on. Or even basic stuff like tips on attacking/blocking/parrying/dodging etc. But I would recommend not using an actual walkthrough.

Some actual in game tips. Manage your stamina. If you go in swinging wild and you need to block an enemy attack but your stamina bar is empty you'll be having a bad time. And blocking. Always keep your shield up when you're in unfamiliar territory. You never know what's lurking around the next corner. And take it slow, there's no need to rush around. Be alert, be smart and be cautious.

Don't become too attached to your souls. Souls function as both experience and currency and you lose them when you die. Just accept that you may lose them all at some point. Best to spend them quickly though, rather than wandering around with a large stockpile of them.

Also take note that the game constantly autosaves, so you generally can't undo actions. Usually this won't matter but just be mindful of it if you're considering attacking an NPC.

I've got a few tips (Okay maybe a slight crash course):
-If you're playing on PC, get a controller. This is not a game meant for mouse and keyboard.

-Following on from the previous point, download DSFix. It'll make the game actually run.

-DON'T take the Master Key as your starting gift. Your first playthrough should be used to get yourself acquainted with how all the different areas are connected. The Master Key kinda fucks this up since you can open certain early mid-game shortcuts on your first run through the first area. I would take the Old Witch's Ring since that will give you some insight on a side story later on.

-Stats are pretty important to know. There's a button in the stat menu that will explain briefly what each stat does but I'll run through them now to avoid later explanation:

Vitality (VIT) - Increases max HP. No points are wasted here.

Attunement (ATT) - Increases the number of spells you can have equipped at any one time. You can equip two copies of the same spell to give yourself multiple uses.

Endurance (END) - Increases max Stamina, Equip Load and Bleed resistance. No points are wasted here.

Strength (STR) - Increases weapon damage based on the weapon's STR stat scaling which will be ranked from F at the lowest, to S at the highest (F, E, D, C, B, A, S).

Dexterity (DEX) - Same as Strength, but with DEX. It also increases casting speed for Miracles, Sorceries and Pyromancies.

Resistance - That stat that idiots put their levels in. Don't level it up.

Intelligence (INT) - Like STR and DEX for Sorceries. Also increases the power of catalysts (staves basically), causing your sorceries to become more potent.

Faith (FTH) - Basically intelligence for miracles. Also increases Magic Defence.

Humanity - You can't actually level this up with souls. You gain levels by consuming Humanity items or by chance by killing an enemy in an area where you haven't defeated the boss. You lose Humanity upon death, as with souls, but it can be recovered from where you died. It increases item drop rates, boosts all defences and curse resist and increases the damage of weapons with humanity scaling, although you don't gain any benefits from this or item discovery past 10 humanity.

Poise - Pretty much your resistance to being staggered by an attack. It's governed by the armour you're wearing. You can think of poise a bit like having an invisible bar like HP that depletes with each hit within a certain time period. Different weapon classes have different values for, what's known as poise damage. You should always try to have at least some poise, as having no poise will often times end with you stun-locked and killed.

Equip Load - The total weight of the armour and weapons you have equipped. This affects the speed of your rolls and sprinting, and how long you remain invincible whilst rolling. There are three tiers to rolls: The light roll is achieved by having an equip load less than 25% of your maximum. This grants the quickest, longest roll with the most invincibility frames. Mid rolls occur between 25 and 50% of your max equip load and are the roll you'll most likely be doing on your first playthrough. The slow or fat roll, as it's known, is the slowest roll with the shortest distance and fewest invincibility frames. It occurs above 50% maximum equip load.

-Classes aren't fixed things, but your choice does matter in the early game:

Warrior is probably the best class to start with on your first run through due to their high starting endurance, high strength and dexterity, a shield with 100% physical defence (meaning you take no damage from blocked attacks) and the Longsword, which is quick, combos well and has great moveset.

Knight is good for early tanking due to high defence and poise with the starting armour set, 100% shield (like the Warrior) and high starting vitality. You can also use Knights as a jumping off point for miracle/faith weapon builds do to their above average starting Faith stat. Other than that, you're probably better served picking something else. Their middle-ground endurance and heavy armour means they're slow and cumbersome and their mediocre Str and Dex means you have to put more points into those stats early on to use certain weapons, rather than Endurance, which is arguably more important to the Knight.

Wanderer is an okay starting class, but it requires a bit more skill to use. They focus very much on mobility with their light armour, low vitality and Scimitar, which is a very quick weapon with a somewhat low reach that is a beast against unarmoured enemies with no or low poise. They have high starting Dexterity, making them an okay choice to build a Dex character off, although the Hunter is the better class overall for that. The Wanderer also has above average Intelligence and Attunement stats, which allows them to use sorceries as well as melee.

The Thief is essentially a step further from Wanderer. They have higher DEX, FTH and INT at the cost of even lower VIT, END and STR. They start with the Bandit Knife, which is quick and builds up Bleed, which causes a huge amount of damage at once when it overcomes the enemies Bleed Resist. This makes the Thief useful against larger, slower enemies at the start, as they can use their superior mobility to dodge attacks and get in enough damage to cause the opponent to bleed out.

The Bandit is the go-to base for most STR builds. They have very high base VIT, END and STR, so are able to take and dish out damage very easily. The high VIT and END also means you can focus on putting your first three or four levels into STR and DEX in order to wield some powerhouse weapons early on such as the Zweihander and Claymore. This isn't necessary though, as their starting weapon, the Battleaxe, is an early game powerhouse in itself. It has high base damage and does an incredible amount of poise damage for an early game weapon, making it very useful against early toughies. The starting shield is also very good. It has 100% physical defence as well having defence against poison and toxic, which ends up being the source of much frustration and ire later on. The major downsides to the class are the low defence given by the starting armour set (although it is light, allowing the Bandit to light role right off the bat) and the Battleaxe's lack of ability to combo attacks, making it slower and more cumbersome than a sword.

The Hunter is easily the best class to build a DEX build off of. They have the same base DEX as the Wanderer, but with 2 more points in STR, alleviating the need to level it up early on for certain weapons. They also have higher VIT and END, making them more survivable and able to equip more earlier on. They also start with a bow, which is helpful in some cases.

The Sorcerer is pretty much a dedicated, well, sorcerer. They start with high stats in INT and ATT, and above average DEX, as well as a catalyst and the Soul Arrow Spell. This is at the cost of pretty much everything else though, so watch out.

The Pyromancer is another really good starting class. They start with a Pyromancy Flame, which allows you to cast Pyromancies, and the Fireball pyromancy, which doesn't have any stat requirements, like all pyromancies, which is huge in the early game as the early bosses are weak to fire damage. It's recharged at the bonfires, making it essentially a reusable firebomb. Best of all, you avoid the pain and misery you would otherwise have to go through to get the Pyromancy Flame. They also start with decently well rounded stats, a fairly okay starting weapon, and a very good starting armour set for fire and poison resistance. The only problem is the crap starting shield which should be replaced as soon as possible. A good choice is the Wooden Shield found near the start of the Undead Burg right after you arrive at Firelink Shrine.

The Cleric is pretty much the Faith specialist, although they are pretty well-rounded in their other stats. They start with the Canvas Talisman, which is a decent early game Talisman (the Faith version of a catalyst or the Pyromancy Flame), and the Heal miracle, which can help if you run out of Estus flasks in the middle of an area. Just be aware that there are very few offensive Miracles, so this class can't really be played like the Sorcerer or Pyromancer. Another weapon is pretty much required.

-Parrying is one thing that isn't explained as well as it really should be. The timing is key. In order to parry an enemy, they have to be humanoid, no larger than a Black Knight, and must be wielding a weapon. You must also be on the same level as your opponent and within punching distance. Basically just get as close as you can. The best way to get the timing is to look at the enemy's HAND, rather than the weapon. Parry as soon as the hand moves to strike. It'll take some time to get it right, but you will eventually.

-Upgrading weapons is more important than levelling up scaling stats like STR and DEX. The increase in damage is greater and the souls for levelling STR or DEX can go into the more important VIT or END.

Holy shit. That was longer than I was intending. Hope that helps.

-Ignore resistance, it is awful (I made one guy who put a few in it but that was a hyper specific build)
-Don't go over 40 in a stat. Exempting high req grabs for spells/weapons it just isn't worth it, the drop is horrific.
-Poise is wonderful, keep an eye on it. There are poise break point tables on the wiki I'm sure, poise is incredibly important and very easily missed.
-Listen to everyone, read everything. The story is half hidden, people give clues left right and centre but half of them are buried under riddles.
-The world warns you. Elevator covered in blood? Well, that's a hint. Narrow walkways? Expect trouble. Blind corner? Check it.
-You will likely die a lot. My first playthrough was as a sorcerer and I died about 10-15 times before I finished the game. My friends died innumerate times and it was only experience of their lives that made mine easier.
-Each class is viable, each class suffers somewhere. Magic resistant enemies can make a sorcerer's life hell but they have it pretty damned easy otherwise, same with pyros (faith suffer in the first game compared to the second but are still offensively viable). Dex characters are great until you meet an enemy which your slashing weapons don't get through and they're on a tight walkway so getting behind them isn't an option. Tanks laugh their way through a lot of the game when well built but still suffer on occasion. Archers have unsurprisingly varied times.
-Upgrade your gear. When you first hit a blacksmith you'll likely find it expensive but it shortly becomes cheaper than levelling and more beneficial.
-Try out everything. With enough planning and consideration most builds are completely viable and fairly equivalent, Dark Souls is not perfectly balanced but it is quite well done.
-Find friends. Summons are your love muffins, take care of them since they only get healed by you in DS1 (exempting faithers with heals). Estus to heal them, keep them alive but don't waste estus' on idiots.
-You're the king. If you are the summoner you are the VIP, the MVP and the king. You die last because if you go all the summons lose as well.
-Put your sign down. Being summoned is ACE for experience both mechanical and real. Learn as a summon, be bold but not stupid.
-PvP'ers will kill you. Early on they are better than you, later on once you understand the game a lot of them will have studied the mechanics and worked out the breakpoints and been fighting so long they'll rinse you out. Me and my friends LEARNT Dark Souls, inside and out. We made multiple PvP specific characters of all kinds and we racked up some obscene kill counts. Needless to say we still met our matches out there, PvP is deadly.

Eventually you'll ignore a lot of this advice as well. Most of my characters ended up going over 40 in stats for breakpoints, reqs or this or that. Once you get parrying down you'll have a different world (parrying is hard though and still risky even for the experienced), particularly as a dex character or a knife wielder.
Oh and equip load, goodness me I forgot to highlight the importance of that in DS1. Hit 50% or 25%. Personally I revile being medium, I endeavour to be light with every character but that's because I enjoy dodging and mobility, even in heavy armour.

Every class really is viable though, I've had a guy who used only build up damage (he was fun but sucked PvE), a guy who was light in giant's armour and wielded a washing pole (great fun, I regret nothing) and so on. Just...experiment and enjoy.

Fantoompje:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130511030612/darksouls/images/6/67/20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg

Nice tips =) If you are interested in the story, be sure to read item descriptions and talk to NPC's multiple times at various moments in the game (after you've beaten several bosses or so)

lol i can only ask: what about dung piles and toxins?

FriesWithThat:
snip Huge wall of very useful info

Hugga_Bear:
Another huge wall of useful info

Windcaler:
Snippity snip more very useful info

I wanted to take the time to thank you'll for posting this information for me. So Thank You Very Much.

Sniper Team 4:

crimsonshrouds:

If that is the case in terms of story, then I do suggest you pick the Old Witch's Ring. It won't prove useful until you have rung both bells of awakening (or just one, if you choose to go down first, but most people on their first run don't). If you haven't figured it out by the time you have rung both bells, I suggest you look it up, but try to figure out what the ring does on your own.

And if you are looking for the story, you will need to read the item descriptions on nearly everything. I'm sure you've already heard this, but the story in Dark Souls isn't told directly to you. You have to piece it together based on what characters tell you, what happens, and most importantly, item descriptions.

An example would be that there are two items in the game and when you read both of the descriptions, you'll notice that something doesn't add up in a certain area of the game, and it is up to you to decide if you want to face the consequences of finding out the truth...

You have me very curious about these two items. I spent a lot of time play Resident evil 0, 1, Code Veronica, and 4 looking for secrets and treasures back when i was in high school. I went so far as to beat RE4 without selling a single treasure. I used to be obssessed with that series... O_O

Ooh, OP, you should join me in the same type of playthrough I'm currently doing!

I never got very far into the game my first go-around, so this time, still playing blind, I've decided to play where after every death, I have to do either ten pushups or ten situps.

I need to work out, so I figured why not do it while gaming!

crimsonshrouds:

Fantoompje:

Dung pies are an item that certain enemies in the game drop. Hitting enemies with them causes them to build up their "toxic meter" but builds your own meter at the same time. Toxic is like poison, but worse. If you're poisoned you lose HP every second, and toxic is the same but you lose more HP per second than you do with poison. There are enemies in the game who can cause you to go toxic, but they cannot make you toxic if you're already toxic, so some players like to make themselves toxic in advance using dung pies because the toxic you get from dung pies does less damage to you.

Make sense?

Gxas:
Ooh, OP, you should join me in the same type of playthrough I'm currently doing!

I never got very far into the game my first go-around, so this time, still playing blind, I've decided to play where after every death, I have to do either ten pushups or ten situps.

I need to work out, so I figured why not do it while gaming!

Sorry, too lazy because i just got off work :P

Dirty Hipsters:

crimsonshrouds:

Fantoompje:

Dung pies are an item that certain enemies in the game drop. Hitting enemies with them causes them to build up their "toxic meter" but builds your own meter at the same time. Toxic is like poison, but worse. If you're poisoned you lose HP every second, and toxic is the same but you lose more HP per second than you do with poison. There are enemies in the game who can cause you to go toxic, but they cannot make you toxic if you're already toxic, so some players like to make themselves toxic in advance using dung pies because the toxic you get from dung pies does less damage to you.

Make sense?

Yes makes much better sense now. LOL That part of the list just made me wonder if i had read it correctly.

crimsonshrouds:
Just bought Darks Souls and I was wondering if i could get some tips or resources before i start playing it.

People might of already mentioned this. But, go in with the mindset that you are going to die a lot. It is a difficult game but you can learn from your mistakes so even death can be productive. There is always a different approach or strategy to try. I originally gave up on the game like 3 or 4 hours in due to frustration. I picked it up a few months later and ended up devoting 126 hours and got the 1000/1000 achievement points on the 360 version and now I can say it is at least in my top 3 games of this console generation.

On a PC? GET A DAMN CONTROLLER. The PC port is a control disaster,though everything else is spot on... So long as you can avoid the hackers. Infinite health,infinite poise,infinite stamina,infinite casts,infinite items... The whole nine yards. However,some more general advice that'll be useful until the day you die? Again?

Learn to adapt.

Falling back on one strategy's a good way to get yourself killed. Some bosses discourage rolling like a tumbleweed,like the Taurus Demon and the arena which he damn near takes the entire breadth of,while others discourage hiding behind your shield,like Ornstein and Smough,since they can put on the heat faster than you could hope to recover from it. If something doesn't work,you have three choices: Try a different approach,try harder,or give up.

Death is inevitable. And when you die,it is UNIVERSALLY because you screwed up,so long as another human isn't involved. Get smacked into a pit? Your fault for getting too close. Parried? Pay attention to posture. Stunlock'd? Work on your defense,even if it's just going to be a more blistering offense. The game doesn't cheat. It doesn't hold your hand. It'll give you the barest of tutorials,then turn you loose,throwing adversity your way to serve as an impetus to fill in the blanks.

And remember: Fight smart,and fight hard. One or neither is just going to get you killed.

-Use a Warrior or Knight as your first class, but make sure to get enough dexterity to at least use a bow, it'll pay dividends later when you need to aggro enemies. I wouldn't recommend a magic-user for your first playthrough.

-Whichever character you pick, I'd avoid putting any points into Resistance, it's pretty much worthless.

-Remember that all decisions you make in Dark Souls are permanent, so when around NPCs, be extremely careful not to accidentally hit the attack button. If you aggro an NPC, too bad. That's it and they're out of the game (for the most part).

-People have very differing opinions on this, but my honest opinion is to use a wiki/guide. The game explains very little to you and so I don't have an issue consulting a wiki, especially because it's impossible to know, for example, what type of weapon you need and what level it must be at to convert it using a boss soul (Dark Souls 2 vastly improved all of this).

-Lastly, if you're getting frustrated, TAKE A BREAK. Seriously, when you find yourself dying on a part over and over again and getting angry, quit the game and relax for a while. When you start to get angry at the game and become determined to beat whatever it is that's killing you, you just wind up making more mistakes and suffering even worse. The game has some hard sequences but none of it is impossible, and getting frustrated just makes it all the worse.

Oh, and attack all chests before you open them.

Use a shield and spear, because you can attack roman centurion style by poking with your shield up. Being able to attack from your guard got me through a lot of shit. It makes you king of hallways. Although you may want to consider other trying other weapons for other situations.

Get a better game. OH! SHOTS FIRED!

If you get extremely frustrated, stop playing the game for a few minutes. If you aren't stressed as dicks, your reaction times are better.

I managed to get as far as the Capra demon before I couldn't get any further. I probably didn't try hard enough, and it was only at that point that I discovered that it's actually possible to run in the game. -.- I started as a knight, though. He's kinda slow, but he can take a beating, as long as you got shield and stamina to spare. The gargoyle demon was a total bitch though, had to summon two of the NPC guys to help me out.

Btw, if you're going for shields, you NEED to learn how to use it. There's a thing you can do that allows you to push away an enemy attack and strike them while they're wide open, but this requires a pretty damn difficult timing. And you'll die a lot practicing it. I don't remember what it's called, so pardon the somewhat poor explanation.

EDIT: It's called parrying. L2parry if you want to use a shield.

Riddle78:
On a PC? GET A DAMN CONTROLLER. The PC port is a control disaster,though everything else is spot on... So long as you can avoid the hackers. Infinite health,infinite poise,infinite stamina,infinite casts,infinite items... The whole nine yards. However,some more general advice that'll be useful until the day you die? Again?

The hacking has actually been patched. There's also something called DSFix, among the things it does it also unlocks the locked internal resolution of 1024x768 on textures, allowing a much prettier experience. It's also possible to run the game in 60fps (the game is originally locked at 30), but this requires some tweaking and can lead to some texture-bugs and other stuff, according to the readme. Apparently it can also trigger steam's VAC, if you're silly enough to be running more than one game at once, and one of them uses VAC.

I can also support the controller-decision. A friend of mine told me that it's possible to rebind the keys on the keyboard and mouse, but it might take some time to get right.

The atmosphere in this game is so fantastic and lovely... I wish all games could be this atmospheric.

Well I had more shit written but my post got eaten so cut down version.

DO NOT CONSUME FIRE KEEPER SOULS! You can give them to firekeepers to upgrade you flasks which is far far more valuable.

Dark souls in not really a reflex based game. It's more about recognising patterns and enemy moves so you can negate, parry or go for openings. Most enemies are fairly predictable and have clearly choreographed moves so once you know how to deal with them you're golden so long as you pay attention and don't get swamped.

I'd take Pyro as the starter. You get decent gear, high stats for your level and a good spell. Classes don't lock you into anything.

You can summon NPC's (if you talked to them and if you are human) for the belltower fight and you are probably suppose to which is why people get frustrated at the difficulty jump there if they don't. Just watch out for invasion from gankers with high level gear in that area. Although this long after release there shouldn't be too many of them.

You will find an NPC who sells moss that cures toxin and poison near when you go into the sewer. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUY SOME. Blighttown is bitch without them.

Weapons in the game are for the most part all different and useful in different ways. The side sword is one of the most reliable in the game and you can get it off early enemies. This is not a game where you pick up weapons that make the previous ones obsolete as you progress (with the exception of the "secret" Drake Sword. That is only an early game power boost. Do not waste dragon scales upgrading it!). It's upgrading the weapons at blacksmiths that increase their power.

Keep talking to NPC's until they repeat themselves because they often don't give you what you need the first time. Also check up on them every now and again as you move forward.

If you are interested in the lore at all read the item descriptions.

Ihateregistering1:

-Remember that all decisions you make in Dark Souls are permanent, so when around NPCs, be extremely careful not to accidentally hit the attack button. If you aggro an NPC, too bad. That's it and they're out of the game (for the most part).

You can deagrro NPCs by paying a fee to "absolve your sins" at the "come at me bro" pose guy at the belltower whose name I can't recall

You can't bring dead ones back to life however and if you aggro him you're screwed.

Ihateregistering1:

-People have very differing opinions on this, but my honest opinion is to use a wiki/guide. The game explains very little to you and so I don't have an issue consulting a wiki, especially because it's impossible to know, for example, what type of weapon you need and what level it must be at to convert it using a boss soul (Dark Souls 2 vastly improved all of this).

I'd use a guide for how stats, upgrades and boss souls work but I'd avoid a guide for secret area and gear placement until you are near the end of the game so you can discover things yourself.

Ihateregistering1:

-Lastly, if you're getting frustrated, TAKE A BREAK. Seriously, when you find yourself dying on a part over and over again and getting angry, quit the game and relax for a while. When you start to get angry at the game and become determined to beat whatever it is that's killing you, you just wind up making more mistakes and suffering even worse. The game has some hard sequences but none of it is impossible, and getting frustrated just makes it all the worse.

Definitely
Also if you're dying repetitively in the same spot stop and take a moment to think about your approach.

Well, good for you! Dark Souls is a damn good game if you can get into it, and personally, I think it gets more of the fundamentals right than the sequel. No clue about Demons Souls, but I digress.

As for starting tips, there are some things I would suggest you try, and some I suggest you avoid.

Try to:

-Pick out a class that suits your fancy. Want to be a caster? Try a Sorcerer, or a Pyromancer if you prefer to watch things burn. For a healing class, Cleric is for you. If you prefer to go for the bigger weapons, Knight is a good solid choice. Keep in mind, Strength and Dexterity pretty much speak for what kind of weapon you'll end up using: Strength for your typical two-handers, Dexterity for weapons that require more... Finesse.

-Get yourself a Short Bow as soon as possible, with some wooden arrows. The mechanics of the Souls games reward one-on-one combat more than anything, not to much against multiple enemies. A well-used arrow can pull a single enemy to you at a distance to kill it at your leisure.

-Use a proper 100% Physical Damage Resist shield, though this is actually optional once you get used to rolling through an enemies attacks. There are basically three ways to defend against attacks: Either blocking it with a shield, rolling through and using invincibility frames to avoid it, or simply tanking the damage with heavy armor and lots of health. On the subject of rolling...

-Keep in mind that roll speed is tied to equip burden. The more you carry on your person, the armor you wear, and the weapons you have equipped, will all eventually slow you down. There are essentially three roll 'tiers', fast roll, mid roll, and fat roll. Fat rolling is fine for tanks, but ideally, you'll be at mid roll or faster. But, go with what you feel comfortable with. And on the subject of comfort!

-Find a weapon you like the move set of. Most weapons have one move, or even an entire set of moves, that are unique to them, but still fit into a certain category, like spears, great swords, and even whips. Go with what you prefer, and experiment a little. Eventually, you'll find your dream weapon and cleave your way through Lordran in no time!

On the other hand, try to avoid:

-Getting frustrated. All but one boss has a distinguishable pattern that you can exploit to kill them, and arguably, even That One Boss does too. Everyone dies in Dark Souls, and everyone ends up losing their souls and humanity at least once. Once you get the hang of the enemies, bosses and normal mobs alike, you'll find that deaths more often come from the environment, like cliffs, poison, and godawful Pendulums of Doom.

-Using the Drake Sword. Yes, there is a special sword you can get if you cut off, or shoot off, the tail of the Hellkite Drake, the dragon watching over the bridge you'll end up coming to in the beginning. Avoid it. There are other weapons with a similar move set, that end up outclassing it in time. Sure, while in the beginning it can make killing normally troublesome enemies a breeze, but I feel it gives a false sense of confidence for new players. It becomes nigh useless after the first area, whereas an upgraded basic weapon, which is easier to come by, will serve you better, not only in terms of damage output, but because you end up relying on a better quality weapon that will last you longer throughout the game.

Now, there's more tips I could give, but those are the basics, with a few more specific pointers thrown in. There's a surprising amount of depth to the mechanics of Dark Souls, but once you master them, Lordran becomes your oyster! So get out there, slay yourself some hollows, and don't forget to PRAISE THAT SUN while you chug your Sunny-D!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked