Which action game developer is your favorite?
Treasure
11.5% (7)
11.5% (7)
Platinum
86.9% (53)
86.9% (53)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Treasure Vs. Platinum Games: Who is your favorite?

There are two beloved action game developers in gaming. First is Treasure Video Games. Founded in 1992 by several former Konami employees, Treasure made a name for themselves on the Sega Genesis with Gunstar Heroes. A balls to the wall action shooter that had some of the most intense gunplay of the 16-bit era. They later went on to develop other hardcore action games and shooters like Ikaruga, Wario World, Sin & Punishment, Bangai-O, Radiant Silvergun, Mischief Makers, Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Gaist Crusher, and the Bleach games on the DS. They employ an arcade like gameplay style that's easy to pick up, brutal to beat.

Then there's Platinum Games. Established in 2006 as Seeds Inc. before merging with ODD a year later, Platinum is comprised of former people from Capcom's original Devil May Cry Team, and it shows. Their first game, MadWorld, was a fun black and white extreme gore fest that gave the Wii a bit of raunch and violence in 2009. Their next game, Infanite Space for the DS, was a unique RPG that lets you customize your ship and traverse the galaxy. Platinum really made a name for themselves when they developed DMC's Spiritual successor, Bayonetta. Since then, Platinum made more stylish action games with unique gameplay gimmicks such as Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, Arnachy Reigns, The Wonderful 101, The upcoming Scalebound, and even an adaptation of Nickelodeon's The Legend of Korra (Yes, I'm not joking).

So, which of these two is your favorite?

Never heard of Treasure. Never been impressed by Platinum.

Vanquish would have been okay if it weren't for a couple of incredibly dumb design decisions.

While I simply adored playing Gunstar Heroes on my Megadrive, I have to give it to Platinum. If only because I can name more than one game that Platinum has done, while the only thing that comes up for Treasure when it comes to me is Gunstar Heroes and Wario World. While with Platinum I love Bayonetta, Revengance, and Wonderful 101.

Oh and OP, they didn't make Wario Land, they made Wario World. Might wanna change that.

Same as above, never heard of Treasure, and I associate Platinum with the dev studio formerly known as Clover, which developed some of the best games ever made for the best gaming console ever made... the PS2.

Treasure

I don't even like their games all that much, it's just that I actively dislike Platinum Games for their "style-over-substance" philosophy when it comes to gameplay mechanics, as well as the fact that their games feel very padded. It doesn't help that their fanbase is among the most insufferably elitist in the contemporary gaming scene.

Platinum, all day, everyday. Platinum does one thing exceptionally well. That is do something over-the-top, archaic awesome. And many of their recent games scratch that particular "AWESOME STUFF!" itch.

Considering the only game I like that Treasure have made is Ikaruga, and I've loved pretty much everything Platinum's ever done, Platinum was an easy choice here.

Platinum has been doing more interesting things lately. Treasure made some of my favorite games ever, but they really have not made anything to interesting lately.

Platinum hands down. I'm definitely going to get myself a Wii U later down the line so I can further support them, I mean, these are the guys who made Okami, how can you not love the guys who made Okami?

If it's one thing Platinum understands it's stylish gameplay. Man, they know how to amp you up. I loved the idea of Vanquish, and the Wonderful 101 is one of my favorite Wii U games at the moment.

However, Treasure will always hold a special place in my heart. I can't even begin to recall the countless hours I spent on Gunstar Heroes, growing up. As for Mischief Makers, well...I'd draw blood for a remake/sequel/HD Remix/ whatever man I love that game.

Gonna have to go with Treasure.

Haven't really played much from either, but Gunstar Heroes was really fun, so Treasure gets my vote. Plus, Ikaruga's pretty cool.

Zhukov:
Never heard of Treasure.

*stunned* then again I would understand if you never gamed during the 16 bit era that was Treasures heyday as far as im concerned.

I cant say I like all the games by either dev but they are both pretty strong. I give it to platinum they make action games like no other atm they mess up sometimes (the camera in MGR was atrocious) but the controls are almost always super sharp and responsive with Bayonetta being their crowning jewel for me (the game has other problems but the action and controls were/are sublime). I also associate Clover with Platinum and they made Okami which is one of the best games ever made imo and beat Zelda at its own game so yeah Platinum for me although Treasure are also fantastic.

Im also pretty hype for the Platinum Legend of Korra game surprisingly.

Maximum Bert:

Zhukov:
Never heard of Treasure.

*stunned* then again I would understand if you never gamed during the 16 bit era that was Treasures heyday as far as im concerned.

Played a few SNES games at friend's houses. Mostly Nintendo games and the odd fighting game.

I was a little kid. Back then I didn't even know what a "developer" was. If I ever played anything made by these 'Treasure' people then I wouldn't know it.

Zhukov:

Maximum Bert:

Zhukov:
Never heard of Treasure.

Played a few SNES games at friend's houses. Mostly Nintendo games and the odd fighting game.

I was a little kid. Back then I didn't even know what a "developer" was. If I ever played anything made by these 'Treasure' people then I wouldn't know it.

I'm with you. I don't think I've ever heard of Treasure either, and I've been gaming since we first had an Atari 2600. I've heard of a number of the games the OP listed from both companies (a few from Treasure, all of the ones from Platinum), but never played any of them. Still, Platinum was pretty much created from the remains of Clover, who made Okami which I adored, so I'm just going to have to vote for them.

Platinum.

All day, every day.

I like Ikaruga and all, but really. Bayonetta and MGR:R are way more fun. Vanquished looked like a blast as did Wonderful 101

Guardian Heroes (different from Gunstar heroes) was one of the best titles for the Saturn, i played the crap out of that game. Other than that, i havent played any Treasure games. Platinum games has more titles i like, but none of them come close to GH.

I love tons of old Treasure games, but I really don't think I've played much recently from them (Ikaruga would have been the most recent). Are they still around? If they are, are they releasing outside of Japan?

Platinum, Platinum, Platinum. Not only do they have the best new IP of last-gen (Bayonetta), but possibly the 2nd best one as well (Vanquish), which both released in the same fucking year.

Uriel_Hayabusa:
I actively dislike Platinum Games for their "style-over-substance" philosophy when it comes to gameplay mechanics, as well as the fact that their games feel very padded. It doesn't help that their fanbase is among the most insufferably elitist in the contemporary gaming scene.

That's like the exact opposite of Platinum. God of War is style over substance vs Bayonetta that has the best gameplay mechanics of any hack and slash ever. The dodge offset alone in Bayonetta completely separates it from all other hack and slashers. Then, there's Vanquish that totally curb stomps all other TPSs like Uncharted and Gears (which are both style over substance). Vanquish knows what a TPS is supposed to be just from the fact that it deducts points for every second spent in cover because you have the tools and ability to not use cover unlike the other TPSs with cover mechanics. How the fuck are their games padded? Bayonetta is meant to be played again and gives you costumes and such as unlockables instead of DLC. And, Vanquish was knocked by a lot of people for being too short, it has like no padding. Platinum's games are just a blast to play while having deep mechanics that keep you playing.

Hmm, do I prefer a company who I have never heard of, and whose games I have never played? Or do I prefer a company I have barely heard of and whose game Bayonetta I have played and promptly sold back in shame for having wasted my money?

I'll have to go with Treasure I guess. I always wanted to play Ikaruga on my GC.

Phoenixmgs:
The dodge offset alone in Bayonetta completely separates it from all other hack and slashers.

How so?

Then, there's Vanquish that totally curb stomps all other TPSs like Uncharted and Gears (which are both style over substance).

I prefer both of those games over Vanquish. They may not be as tough-as-nails which makes it much less impressive to boast about how you've beaten them; but their controls are more responsive and their combat scenarios tend to be more carefully designed than simply "throw tons of enemis at you" like in Vanquish.

How the fuck are their games padded?

Many sections of their games drag on for longer than they should, their games also tend to feature poorly done levels where the gameplay suddenly changes (the motorcycle and rocket-riding levels in Bayonetta for instance) that are just no fun in the slightest and also go on for way too long to boot.

Uriel_Hayabusa:

Phoenixmgs:
The dodge offset alone in Bayonetta completely separates it from all other hack and slashers.

How so?

The dodge offset allows you to continue a combo after a dodge. Basically, if say combo requires PPPKKK, you can dodge on the 3rd punch and then kick 3 times after the dodge to complete the combo instead of starting over.

Then, there's Vanquish that totally curb stomps all other TPSs like Uncharted and Gears (which are both style over substance).

I prefer both of those games over Vanquish. They may not be as tough-as-nails which makes it much less impressive to boast about how you've beaten them; but their controls are more responsive and their combat scenarios tend to be more carefully designed than simply "throw tons of enemis at you" like in Vanquish.

It's not about difficulty. Both Bayonetta and Vanquish have really easy modes; Bayonetta's very easy allows you to do wicked weaves with one button press and Vanquish's easiest mode has auto-aim. I feel Normal is just about right in both games, a proper Normal. I find Normal to be too easy in most games especially last gen and current gen, it's like impossible to die in some games like Assassin's Creed. I do love how Bayonetta eases the player into using the dodge offset mechanic by giving you more and more witch time immune enemies as you go up each difficulty level so when you do get to the highest level (with no witch time), you should be prepared.

It's about the gameplay depth. You can play through Vanquish just like Uncharted and just enjoy the ride. If you want more depth, Vanquish has it as well as Bayonetta whereas Uncharted doesn't. No way Uncharted controls better than Vanquish. Naughty Dog has no clue how to make a TPS (after FOUR TRIES): 1) you can't adjust the sluggish as hell camera sensitivity in their games (that's the camera you fucking aim with, and you can't change it all the way from Uncharted 1 thru TLOU), 2) circle for both cover and roll has never worked (even Susan on this site who gave Uncharted 3 5/5 said the controls suck), and 3) the shoulder swapping is done wrong in Uncharted (you can't aim over your left shoulder initially; in fairness, Vanquish has no shoulder swap but it's single player only). With all that said, I do love Uncharted 2 but Uncharted 1 was bad (for gameplay) along with Uncharted 3 (for story and characters).

Many sections of their games drag on for longer than they should, their games also tend to feature poorly done levels where the gameplay suddenly changes (the motorcycle and rocket-riding levels in Bayonetta for instance) that are just no fun in the slightest and also go on for way too long to boot.

I liked the rocket-riding section as it was using the combat system in 2D, kinda neat. The motorcycle section was "meh" but it was short. It's not worse than Uncharted 1's jet ski sequences, which I think there were 3 of them. Also, Uncharted 1 is really padded as the game just throws waves of enemies at you and you even backtrack a bit at times. It really seemed like Uncharted 1 was more of a tech demo than a game. Uncharted 3 is like all padding. It makes no sense for Drake and Co. to even continue the adventure (much more so than the previous games) as they can go home and the villain literally can't win. The boat chapters make literally no sense.

Never heard of Treasure untill now, and never played any of their games either apparently.

And the only Platinum game I like was when they were still known as Clover. And that game is Okami. I never played Vanquish, but Bayonetta and Revengeance were hollow, plastic experiences. Call me when they actually get some varied gameplay, and decent character and level designers.

Zhukov:

Maximum Bert:

Zhukov:
Never heard of Treasure.

If memory serves correctly they released mostly on Sega platforms for quite a while maybe even exclusively back then (been a while) so if you only gamed on the SNES then odds are you wouldnt be playing a treasure game. For me personally I always remember them for Gunstar Heroes that game blew me away on the Mega Drive that I had to know who made it and remembered the company despite not being that old myself.

Not all their games have been gold (not surprising) but a lot were real gems back in the day although the last game I personally bought that they developed was Sin and Punishment star successor on the Wii which didnt gel with me although I cant say its bad. The last one from them I was hooked on was Ikaruga damn that games good.

I would definitely get Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun on Xbox Live arcade if my 360 still worked.

Phoenixmgs:
It's about the gameplay depth.

Platinum games aren't that much deeper than average, though. They're every bit as style-over-substance as many other (more popular) games that the company's fans love to deride. Platinum's games usually have lots of QTEs and setpieces in lieu of actually letting the player do interesting stuff with mechanics.

Meanwhile, look at a game like Shadow of the Colossus which offers huge, dynamic bosses who can be taken down in a variety of different ways without a single QTE.

I mean, check this stunt out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGwNV0NwmQo#t=1m57s

That's all gameplay. And that was a Playstation 2 game, no less! What's Platinum's excuse?

Can't say I'm too familiar with Treasure, but they're not Platinum, so that's definitely a plus for them.

I have played (and neglected to finish) Bayonetta, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising and I couldn't stand playing a single one of them. Platinum is all about style and their style is obnoxious and terrible.

Never heard of Treasure.

Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are two of my favorite games, so have to go with Platinum! :D

Uriel_Hayabusa:
Treasure

I don't even like their games all that much, it's just that I actively dislike Platinum Games for their "style-over-substance" philosophy when it comes to gameplay mechanics, as well as the fact that their games feel very padded. It doesn't help that their fanbase is among the most insufferably elitist in the contemporary gaming scene.

What's elitist about them? I know a lot of MGR fans and we get along great!

Sean Hollyman:

Uriel_Hayabusa:
Treasure

What's elitist about them? I know a lot of MGR fans and we get along great!

Plenty of them have given me flak for not liking their games or criticizing their mechanics. Your experience with Platinum fanboys isn't really comparable since you're on the same wavelength as them, what with you liking their games and all.

Uriel_Hayabusa:
Platinum games aren't that much deeper than average, though. They're every bit as style-over-substance as many other (more popular) games that the company's fans love to deride. Platinum's games usually have lots of QTEs and setpieces in lieu of actually letting the player do interesting stuff with mechanics.

Meanwhile, look at a game like Shadow of the Colossus which offers huge, dynamic bosses who can be taken down in a variety of different ways without a single QTE.

I mean, check this stunt out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGwNV0NwmQo#t=1m57s

That's all gameplay. And that was a Playstation 2 game, no less! What's Platinum's excuse?

Bayonetta is as deep a hack and slash as there is (which is pretty much agreed upon by most hardcore players of the genre, maybe a DMC edges it out for best but Platinum made that anyways), just because it has style doesn't mean that it doesn't have substance. The QTEs in Bayonetta aren't in the actual gameplay. With all the different weapons and accessory combinations in Bayonetta, it has more playstyles than Dark Souls. You can freeze enemies with ice skates. God of War, on the other hand, has no substance whatsoever, you can use the same basic combo all game.

You can do so much more with Vanquish's mechanics than probably all the last-gen TPSs combined. The following is a video of a guy beating Challenge 6 in less than 5 minutes and he makes it look so easy, and it's probably the hardest last-gen game challenge. You probably wouldn't even know the game has a cover system because you don't need to use cover like Uncharted or Gears.

---

I like other games like Uncharted 2 and I'm playing through The Last of Us now and having a blast. However, there's really no reason to go back and play through those games over and over because there really isn't much to master with the gameplay mechanics. I've pretty much done everything you can do in TLOU and I'm still on my 1st playthrough.

Just mechanics-wise, Platinum blows other games out of the water as there's no contextual controls in their games. With Uncharted, circle being contextual for cover and roll means you roll when you want to take cover and vice verse. With TLOU, the contextual cover system means you take cover when you don't want to or it takes a couple tries to get into cover when you do want to. It doesn't ruin the single player by any means, but in the game's multiplayer where every fraction of a second matters, the contextual controls get you killed. Just like how Ground Zeroes cover system is the same way, and it's going to ruin the online of the MGS5 if they don't change it. Just using the box in MGS5 takes a second or two when in MGS4, you could box with a press of a button. I can totally break down the mechanics of any game because I play a lot of shooters online and know the ins and outs of even the smallest things.

Feller, I think he's already expressed his opinion, and I don't think you're going to change it.

To be honest, you sound a bit like the Platinum fans that he dislikes in particular.

To be fair (and I'm saying this as a man who's favourite game is Bayonetta), it's not like you *have* to use anything but the default weapons to finish the game; sure the playstyle is different, but that's kind of a constant for all action games. Sure you have the whip and the ice skates, and maybe the parries from the Moon of Maha-Kaala, but everything else is basically variations of faster-weaker/slower-powerful.

Also, although torture attacks don't really feature in combos, that's a QTE in unscripted gameplay. Also look at any of the boss fights, you can't say QTEs aren't in the gameplay. Personally, I think they kinda fit (how is it any different than using any attack as a finisher, is my line of thinking), and when it's a finishing move mash-a-thon I don't really see how it hurts, but they're an acquired taste in this kind of game. Also, thinking about it, do you really prefer massive monster boss fights or rival (Jeanne) fights? Much as MMBFs (that's an acronym now, don't question it) fit the aesthetic more appropriately, I ultimately feel like MGR does boss encounters more interestingly because it's pretty much all rival fights, outside of the RAY.

It's not like there are enemies in Bayo that can block particular combos, technically you *could* use the same combo throughout the whole game, plus dodge/witch time. Sure you have to switch it up to obtain a high score, but is that really an argument for superior design? I don't really think so, but I do like the system.

To be honest, thinking about it, Platinum games to me seem on the far end of a spectrum that has, say, Onimusha on the near end and Ninja Gaiden in the middle.

I don't think being hyperbolic about Platinum does anyone any favours. They carry a very specific appeal that clearly resonates with people like you and I, but it's no great injustice that it's niche.

It's not like I don't disagree with his points, but his mind doesn't need to be changed if Platinum games don't resonate with him in particular.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked