Would you play a new or remastered KOTOR game?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Me and my mate were just discussing about KOTOR and all the great memories we had from it - the speeder races, HK-47, traversing the ocean floor, the haunted asteroid mine, the creepy Sith tombs on Korriban, Darth Nihilus, G0-T0 and Nar Shaddaa, the Mandalorian camp, Canderous, the big Revan twist, stuff like that.

It ranks highly as one of the best gaming experiences I've had, and I definitely love both of the games highly for doing something interesting with Star Wars. However the combat and graphics are definitely showing their ages now.

If a re-mastered game came out with the stories of the first two games, but updated graphics, sound and combat, being a bit more reaction based with use of abilities also (like in Mass Effect), would you play it, or would it be a remake too far?

Also would you play a proper sequel continuing the story from 2 (forget the MMO crap).

I think Obsidian would do a great job making the game if they were given a proper budget for it, I'm not sure I trust Bioware any more.

A remastered KOTOR would be lovely. Trying to get those games to work on modern OSs can be a real pain in the ass. I don't think the combat should be touched in anyway.

I sequel would be nice, made by either Bioware of Obsidian is fine by me. They both made two great games with memorable characters and events. Then again, that was the old Bioware. I try to keep hope up that I'll see a sequel someday. Hell, I'm seeing a Battlefront sequel and I never thought I'd see that.

Remastered KOTOR? YES! A remake that makes a number of changes to the games? Not so interested in that. Well...unless the changes were finishing and adding the 30% (was it 30%?) of the second one's cut content back in. Other than that...I'd rather they not mess with the gameplay.

I have been wishing for a new KOTOR so I would absolutely play it. Obsidian wouldn't be able to make it though (as nice as that would be), not unless they made a deal with EA and Disney. EA has the exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. They have DICE making a new Battlefront, along with Bioware and Visceral developing games for the franchise right now. No word on what those last two are though.

I'd like a whole new game, but with the release of the MMO I think that's unlikely to happen. I haven't played the MMO, although a friend has told me some general stuff about it, and from what I gather they continue/expand the story. Now I don't know if this is the case, but if they make a sequel it would probably have to fit around the story that the MMO has created... which means it probably won't be made.

Also, I'd prefer Obsidian to make it. Although I prefer KotoR 1 over 2, I don't think I could trust Bioware from their latest releases.

My dream game would be a KotOR 3 made by Obsidian. I think it's a crying shame that they never got to finish the story they wanted to tell, and the story Bioware tried to tell...was bad. Unfortunately, with the "end" of the expanded universe, that story will sadly never be told...

As far as a remastered game goes, I think a remastered KotOR 2 that includes all the cut content would be very cool to see, and would go a long way towards mitigating the undeserved negative reputation that game gets in mainstream circles.

woodaba:
My dream game would be a KotOR 3 made by Obsidian. I think it's a crying shame that they never got to finish the story they wanted to tell, and the story Bioware tried to tell...was bad. Unfortunately, with the "end" of the expanded universe, that story will sadly never be told...

As far as a remastered game goes, I think a remastered KotOR 2 that includes all the cut content would be very cool to see, and would go a long way towards mitigating the undeserved negative reputation that game gets in mainstream circles.

I think KOTOR2 was a superior game. Better story, obviously, better atmosphere, by far, characters pretty equal, KOTOR2 had more memorable set pieces, such as the assault on Onderon and stuff like that, and also better gameplay with the new powers and prestige classes.

It's sort of like the FO3 vs New Vegas divide. Where one is a more involved experience for those who go deeper, and the other is the popularised, mainstream blockbuster hit.

endtherapture:

woodaba:

I think KOTOR2 was a superior game. Better story, obviously, better atmosphere, by far, characters pretty equal, KOTOR2 had more memorable set pieces, such as the assault on Onderon and stuff like that, and also better gameplay with the new powers and prestige classes.

It's sort of like the FO3 vs New Vegas divide. Where one is a more involved experience for those who go deeper, and the other is the popularised, mainstream blockbuster hit.

Yup. KotOR 2 is actually probably my favorite game of all time, all things considered. It tells an interesting, deep, and fascinating story, with some of the best and most interesting cast of characters in any game, let alone Star Wars. Kreia is probably the best female character in all of gaming, and even outside of gaming, she's definitely in the upper echelons. It achieves an incredible feat in creating a character study of the player character, something only it's spiritual predecessor, Planescape: Torment, managed to match, and it did all this while objectively improving the gameplay of the original with a host of new features. Playing KotOR 2 with the Restored Content Mod is an experience that is unbeatable in any work of fiction. It's that freaking good.

Very much yes. I did enjoy both games, and when I found out how much the second one had been butchered, it made me very sad. Honestly, with all these other games getting remastered HD collections, I'm surprised the KOTOR ones haven't gotten that treatment. Perhaps Disney will okay it.

As for a sequel, I would be more than happy with that too, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. Disney just wiped out all of that lore. Just today, I saw my first book with the 'Legends' heading on it. Perhaps they'll keep the KOTOR stuff, but I'm not sure. I don't think they want to do anything that will draw attention away from their new movies.

Considering SWTOR is drowning in debt, commercial failure, and stagnation, a remastered KOTOR might be enough to redeem the franchise. Sadly, I'm too much of a realist to think that a new KOTOR game, even with all the depth, story-telling, and general goodness will live up to the original. I mean the original KOTOR was a freaking gangbusters, lodsamone, cult-hit that everyone and their cat enjoyed. Trying to recapture that is like chasing ghosts.

I'd love a good KotOR 3 but as it stands the first two play fine on my computer so barring releasing an actually finished version of KotOR 2 with everything that was taken out added in I have no interest in paying for a slightly prettier version of a game I already own.

Also I'd have to say KotOR 3 would no longer be an instant buy for me given Bioware's recent games. So even if it was announced I'd wait well until after reviews are out to begin getting hyped or even considering purchasing.

Well, I've never played KOTOR(well I have, but only the first hour or so when I was at a friends house, and you can't really count that), so I'd be all for a remastered edition of the first two games. I've heard plenty of good things about the games and they came out long enough ago that there is a good number of gamers who never played them, I see no reason for there not to be one.
But going back to the I've never played it bit, where can I find the games? I'm going to look right now, but having my questions answered by someone I've never met, about something I know nothing about would go a long way in raising my faith in humanity. No way I can be disappointed here, right?

Depends, if EA/Bioware was involved (which considering the Disney deal would be the most likely scenario) then it would be a no.

An Obsidian remake of KOTOR2 would be pure heaven.

Ok, a remake not just a remaster. Fix the issues with certain parts of the game. For the love of the Force, if you're going to record Twi'lek language for the random toss-away lines, don't have the same sentence translate into 4 different things, its immersion breaking and lazy as hell.
Also it would benefit from a better UI, some overhauls of the graphical nature (not just cleaning up textures but a full on remake of each world).
Yeah it would cost a lot in man hours and whatnot but I'd pay $60 for either of them (as long as the original cut material of KOTOR 2 is redone correctly in the new version).

I am in the middle of my billionth playthrough of KotOR, so yeah. Though I admit there are some massive problems with the game, many of which were fixed in KotOR 2.

As a true remake similar to Resident Evil for GameCube: Yes, please!
As a remake similar to the haphazardous re-releases of Square-Enix properties: No, thank you!

And for a sequel yes if they keep Obsidian far away from it.
With Obsidian? - Nah... keep it.

Here is my dream. Disney cancels its exclusive Star Wars deal with EA. Obsidian then remakes KotOR II with all the cut content, heck maybe even redo the first game in HD with a save transfering, that would be awesome. And then Obsidian goes "The Old Republic MMO? fuck that shit!" and then they make their own KotOR III.

Oh yes, I would definitely play a new KOTOR.
And kill of all the meatbags.
Seriously, more HK47 is always a good thing.
If there were a movie with just 5 hours of HK47 talking, I'd watch it.

I don't much care about the first KOTOR...

but a remastered KOTOR 2 WITH all of the content that Obsidian had planned for it finally put in as they had envisioned...

THAT would be more than worth it.

And if that became a prelude to them working on a sequel to KOTOR 2, so much the better.

And... yes, I do think Obsidian would be better for a sequel than Bioware... there's nothing sadder than Bioware trying to be dark. They're not good at it.

And I think the Star Wars universe is never more interesting than when taken to darker turf... especially when taken from the pov of the common man in that universe.

Hell, if they could fine tune the gameplay a little... they could make a good game where you're not a jedi, you're not a soldier, you're just an average joe/jane trying to make it in the SW universe... while yet another Jedi/Sith conflict breaks out. THAT alone would be territory ripe with an interesting story... the kind of story that is almost never told in the SW universe.

A new KOTOR game would be amazing, a remake/remaster would be pointless in my opinion since i've not had a problem getting the older ones to work on modern computers.

As much as I love KOTOR, no.

I've already seen all there is to see and played all there is to play. I'd rather play something new.

Have both the Kotor games on my laptop and do play them. Though there were issues with getting them to load which may have been something to do with Disney buying SW and thus the game sales rights changed on steam. Wouldnt mind a remastered version of both, but would love a Kotor3. Pity they cant make movies based on that universe, they did such a great job on creating that game world and characters like HK47.

I loved KotOR when I played through it for the first time about a year ago now, but KotOR 2 is in my backlog. I should probably get around to it, but a remastered version would definitely jumpstart it.

endtherapture:

woodaba:

Gotta agree, love the second more than the first, but I'd buy a HD remake of both

Liked KOTOR its the last great game by Bioware imo after this they have not been on top form. I have still never played the second so would snatch up a remastered one of that although tbh the old version with the cut content modded in would suit me just as well so will probably do that someday.

I would be highly dubious of Bioware making a new KOTOR now seeing their long lasting slide into mediocrity and now they have had the kiss of death from EA but a new one from Obsidian I would be up for.

Wouldnt buy a remastered version of the first asI still have the original game so no need to buy the same game again because its slightly prettier.

Seeing how I had forgotten most of it from my time playing it, I would loved to played it again as remaster. Ideally the sequel should be restored as orginally intented than the rushed version we got.

No..the point of nostalgia for me is playing those games the same that they came out back then. I still own them so I wouldn't pay for them again.

I want a Kotor 3 though, Obsidian make it happen!

Yes, I'd definetely like a KOTOR III. Or a remaster for that matter, although I'd like it to contain both games with new game+ modes like in Jade Empire and with ending of KOTOR II being actually included.

Probably not since I played it soooo many times already, but maybe. A remake of Jade Empire definitely though.

If Bioware and EA were not involved on any level then yes on both counts, but I'd rather have a sequel then remakes.
If Bioware and EA were involved however then just leave it be, I know how that shit ends.

I'd definitely play either a new or a remastered Knights of the Old Republic game. They're easily among my favourite RPGS and Star Wars games though I slightly prefer the second even with all the trouble it went through. I know they did re-release the two games in a collection that was designed to work with Windows 7 so it has sort-of been remade but I'd love to see a big shiny HD version of either game.

Dying_Jester:
Well, I've never played KOTOR(well I have, but only the first hour or so when I was at a friends house, and you can't really count that), so I'd be all for a remastered edition of the first two games. I've heard plenty of good things about the games and they came out long enough ago that there is a good number of gamers who never played them, I see no reason for there not to be one.
But going back to the I've never played it bit, where can I find the games? I'm going to look right now, but having my questions answered by someone I've never met, about something I know nothing about would go a long way in raising my faith in humanity. No way I can be disappointed here, right?

Steam has both and I think GOG does as well. I'm playing KOTOR 2 on Windows 7 right now with no problems, I'm thinking the first should work just fine as well.

Daymo:

Dying_Jester:

Steam has both and I think GOG does as well. I'm playing KOTOR 2 on Windows 7 right now with no problems, I'm thinking the first should work just fine as well.

Both are definately on Steam but not GoG. However they do both work just fine on Windows 7 and so does the restored content mod for 2nd game.

woodaba:

endtherapture:

woodaba:

Yup. KotOR 2 is actually probably my favorite game of all time, all things considered. It tells an interesting, deep, and fascinating story, with some of the best and most interesting cast of characters in any game, let alone Star Wars. Kreia is probably the best female character in all of gaming, and even outside of gaming, she's definitely in the upper echelons. It achieves an incredible feat in creating a character study of the player character, something only it's spiritual predecessor, Planescape: Torment, managed to match, and it did all this while objectively improving the gameplay of the original with a host of new features. Playing KotOR 2 with the Restored Content Mod is an experience that is unbeatable in any work of fiction. It's that freaking good.

bah reading this thread is making me want to go replay both of those games for the hundredth time *literally*

There were obvious things cut from both games, ESPECIALLY the second one, so if they could fix that when they remaster them I would pay top dollar for remastered copies of the games, let alone pre-purchase if obsidian was making kotor III.

unfortunately with the MMO crap and EA owning the rights right now to making star wars games, there is a snowballs chance in hell of a kotor 3 being made.

I never played any of the KOTOR games and now they are too dated for me. So if they released remastered versions of them i would definitely buy them. I know that graphics aren't everything, but thats the way i am, i just can't get into older stuff easily.

The combat should stay the same, but update the first game with the UI of the second, because it looks ugly after I play the second and go back.
I've been playing Mass Effect 2 for the first time and can say with certainty, Obsidian should handle the task.

But yeah, I'd love it, or if a new one came out. It had such atmosphere.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked