Would you play a new or remastered KOTOR game?

Pages PREV 1 2

Hell to the yes I want a new kotor! A remastered one might be good too though

endtherapture:

woodaba:
My dream game would be a KotOR 3 made by Obsidian. I think it's a crying shame that they never got to finish the story they wanted to tell, and the story Bioware tried to tell...was bad. Unfortunately, with the "end" of the expanded universe, that story will sadly never be told...

As far as a remastered game goes, I think a remastered KotOR 2 that includes all the cut content would be very cool to see, and would go a long way towards mitigating the undeserved negative reputation that game gets in mainstream circles.

I think KOTOR2 was a superior game. Better story, obviously, better atmosphere, by far, characters pretty equal, KOTOR2 had more memorable set pieces, such as the assault on Onderon and stuff like that, and also better gameplay with the new powers and prestige classes.

It's sort of like the FO3 vs New Vegas divide. Where one is a more involved experience for those who go deeper, and the other is the popularised, mainstream blockbuster hit.

Kotor 2 with kotor ones stability nad pacing. That first level is slow as fuck!

Great. Now this thread has me imagining a KOTOR made by an EA subsidiary. I think I'll go cry myself to sleep now.

I really don't have any interest in replaying kotor 1 ever again. I had my fun playing though it a few times in the past but it just does not live to how good I remember it being after the last time I played it. the game is not very interesting to me when compared to kotor 2.

Kotor 2 with the restoration content mod is a master piece and One of my favorite games. Even without the mod I would still call it a flawed gem and game worthy of mention. If It was remastered with the cut-content restored then I would be interested in what creative vision obsidian exactly had for the game.

If the new hypothetical single player kotor game was made by obsidian then would defiantly want to play it.

That would be interesting since I would love to play a game like that.

Only if it was KOTOR2 and Obsidian got to go back and finish the damn game this time.

Yes, I would play either.
I'm sort of split...I actually prefer KOTOR 1 with the storyline and companions, but 2 had hell of a lot better customization. I still love my Jedi gunslinger who could force persuade the living shit out of anyone.
Oh how I miss those games...

jpz719:
Considering SWTOR is drowning in debt, commercial failure, and stagnation, a remastered KOTOR might be enough to redeem the franchise. Sadly, I'm too much of a realist to think that a new KOTOR game, even with all the depth, story-telling, and general goodness will live up to the original. I mean the original KOTOR was a freaking gangbusters, lodsamone, cult-hit that everyone and their cat enjoyed. Trying to recapture that is like chasing ghosts.

Commercial failure.... Stagnation.... Drowning in debt?

Ummm where did you get that? It's got a constant feed of updates and gets positive notes in EA earnings calls. It's also one of the more populated MMORPG's at the moment.

And as for Obsidian.... have they released anything that wasn't bugged to the eyeballs?

The answer to the OP is no. It suffers from some serious nostalgia goggles.

ummm KOTOR is my #3 favourite game of all time. So of course the answer is YES! I would love a remastered KOTOR!

I couldn't really get into KOTOR 2 (even with all the mods adding cut content back in) so I would much rather a remaster than a sequel.

I'd say yes. The combat system was one of the weaker points of the older games since it was just Star Wars D20 with a few workarounds to make it playable. Something like what they did between Mass Effect 1 and 2 could work out well or end horribly depending on what route they take, but on the plus side they could possibly salvage some of the work from 1313 if they decided to make it partially into a shooter.

The first game's story and character interactions are pretty solid, so minimal reworking would be needed there, but the second one...it's a bit of a mess. Not bad in its own right, but massive gaps in plot (mostly owing to several story arcs getting cut) and much weaker character interactions mean it's going to need a bit more work to be releasable.

Deathjerkmonkeyfarty:

jpz719:
Considering SWTOR is drowning in debt, commercial failure, and stagnation, a remastered KOTOR might be enough to redeem the franchise. Sadly, I'm too much of a realist to think that a new KOTOR game, even with all the depth, story-telling, and general goodness will live up to the original. I mean the original KOTOR was a freaking gangbusters, lodsamone, cult-hit that everyone and their cat enjoyed. Trying to recapture that is like chasing ghosts.

Ummm where did you get that? It's got a constant feed of updates and gets positive notes in EA earnings calls. It's also one of the more populated MMORPG's at the moment.

And as for Obsidian.... have they released anything that wasn't bugged to the eyeballs?

SWTOR was one of the most exspensive video games to produce in the history of videogames, costing upwards of 3 million dollars. It doesn't matter how much you market, advertise, whatever a game that costs that freaking much, you're very very unlikely to turn a profit.

I would love a remake of kotor. Maybe with combat something similair to Dragon Age Origins.

Yes, please.

The era those games portray is my favorite SW era. I would love a new game from it. I tried playing SWTOR when they had an open beta weekend back in the day, but it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I prefer SP RPGs to MMO RPGs.

Honestly, a GOG release would suffice. I want to be able to run KOTOR games on modern systems without it being a pain in the ass.

Remastered? Hell yes, I would play the hell out of it. They should keep everything the way it is, just of course updates graphics, sound design, and a bit flashier combat (without actually changing the combat). Would easily a GOTY contender for me.

I don't really care if they make an actual sequel, just make another game with the same feel/theme/rough setting, and I'd be happy. It's the same for me as it is with Mass Effect. I don't care if the next ME game has anything to do with Shepherd and what he did. It's a huuuuuge galaxy, and they could tell all kinds of stories that have jack to do with the event's of the trilogy of games.

Same goes for KOTOR for me. I loved the game, but I probably wouldn't play a remastered version. If they made a new KOTOR game though, and told a good story, I'd be all over that thing.

I would jump at the chance to play either one of them as a remaster. I picked them up a while back during a sale, but for the life of me I can't get them to run. I got the first one to run, briefly... I was able to get maybe an hour or two into the game, then it would just keep crashing at the exact same spot. I've tried changing the settings, I've tried fan patches, I've even tried cheating my way past that one spot. No dice.

It's a shame, because they're too games that I'd love to be able to experience given how highly praised they come, even from people who don't like Star Wars.

No. I want new games.
I've played KOTOR. I can play KOTOR any time I want. I don't need better visuals and I like the mechanics just the way they are.
Just like I don't want my favorite movies re-filmed, or my fav books re-written.

jpz719:

Deathjerkmonkeyfarty:

jpz719:

SWTOR was one of the most exspensive video games to produce in the history of videogames, costing upwards of 3 million dollars. It doesn't matter how much you market, advertise, whatever a game that costs that freaking much, you're very very unlikely to turn a profit.

Except it has paid itself of and they are still adding content.... EA kills anything that doesn't make a profit.

You're using the same old tired doomsayer arguments that have been going since December 2011 and yet here it is nearing end of 2014 and it's still not anywhere near dead.

If they updated the graphics and maybe had a few more customization options like in Mass Effect, along with some of the gameplay tweaks and UI fixes Obsidian added in II, I'd buy the hell out of it. They shouldn't alter the core gameplay at all, though. We have enough action RPGs already, let those of us who prefer planning to twitch reflexes have our icon.

And while we're at it, let's get Obsidian back to FINISH KOTOR II. They just released Stick of Truth and it did well, they can handle this easily.

Elfgore:
A remastered KOTOR would be lovely. Trying to get those games to work on modern OSs can be a real pain in the ass. I don't think the combat should be touched in anyway.

Funny you should say that because the combat is the one thing I want it to have remastered
Like, even if they just slap the Dragon Age Origins combat in it, the KotOR one just doesn't feel good, so to say
I keep avoiding fights as much as I can

well, there's that and also the damn dark jedis being a real roadblock in my progress
every damn planet I go to I get to a dead end because of them, and I just started the "go to either of these 3 planets" after the one where you pick up the cat-like chick whose name escapes me

I'd really like a remastered one. With the way the franchise has gone for me I'd be tentative to buy an entirely new one.

I would be all over that. Remastered or a new one. A good old fashioned KOTOR RPG about being a space dick through space with space laserswords is something that never gets old.

Then doing it again in different colors playing nice.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked