Do I like bad games?

First of all, just to clarify, english is not my native language so I'm sorry for the bad grammar.

Today I was playing Risen 2, since it was on sale on Xbla. So I have seen that the Risen Franchise is like a very niche game, since it has people loving it and people hating it, so because RPG is one of my fav genres I gave it a chance and man is this game hard to explain.
The combat is very bad, I have seen JRPGs half turnbase system with more enjoyable combat.
Now I know that a lot of RPGs make you be a pathetic as you can be in the beginning so you can notice after a while that you have become powerful, but come on. Even at all the flaws the game has (combat, voice acting, story, mechanics) the game kept me playing and I was enjoying it.
Now this may be that I tend to enjoy bad games, since not only have I enjoyed this game, but I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, knowing it was bad in a lot of ways, I enjoyed the humor and the overall game. I also enjoyed FFXIII, I actually never finished the game but I enjoyed the game a lot.

Maybe my low expectations for those game made me enjoyed the game more than an average guy would or maybe those games are not that bad, they just have some noticeable flaws.

What do you think? Have you enjoyed a bad game? Am I crazy? What other bad games can I enjoy? Comments below and again sorry for the grammar.

Yes, yes you do. For shame.

As penance, we sentence you to play The Path for five hours.

Do I like bad games? Not really. After all, any game I enjoy is not an outright bad game in my eyes, almost by definition.

I do enjoy some of those story-focussed games that have bugger all gameplay (Gone Home, Journey, Walking Dead, To The Moon, etc) which some people regard as being made entirely from cyanide and the devil's semen. ("OMG, are you blind, it's not even a game! GAMES have GAMEplay. Jesus!")

Huh. Must have missed the meeting of gamers that decided which games are bad and which aren't.

Bad joke aside, no you don't like bad games. If you like the game, it isn't a bad game. I'd be hard pressed to call any game bad. Yes including Guise of the Wolf, Air Control, and Earth XXXX. Somebody, somewhere may like them.

To answer your question. I enjoy Final Fantasy XIII. I enjoy Dragon Age 2. I enjoy Viking: Battle for Asgard. I could list others, but the list would go on. Of course I don't view any of these games as bad.

Naw, you just found something you enjoyed in Risen 2 and it resonated with you. Risen 2 isn't a bad game. It's a mediocre one. Middle of the road. It's simply fallen victim to the horrible trend in gaming to mark everything that isn't great as complete shit, with no gradation in between.

Now, if you told me you liked Sacred 3, THEN there'd be something wrong with you... :p

I actually get a bit of a thrill in playing mediocre games, sometimes more than their more polished counterparts. Particularly games like Risen, the Gothic series, even Venetica have a certain charm that comes from being (very flawed) labours of love and some of them can actually be good games in their own right. I'd argue that Two worlds 2 is not, for the most part, any more broken mechanically than Oblivion.

At the very worst, I can take some sort of alternate pleasure from a broken mechanic simply by understanding what they did wrong with it. But that might be my "I'd secretly like to be a game designer" side.

Zhukov:
Yes, yes you do. For shame.

As penance, we sentence you to play The Path for five hours.

I support this motion.

inb4 "THE PATH ISN'T A GAME"

OT: My favorite games is an MMOPointNClickAdventureG. That should tell you everything you need to know.

People who attempt to shame other people for the kind of entertainment they enjoy are the worst people on the planet. I don't care if the people being shamed are watching fucking duck dynasty, saying people enjoying a certain show or type of video game makes them stupid is an act of cruelty.

I'm strong and I can resist that, but peer pressure is a royal bitch for anyone with a weak will, and they might start hating themselves.

No, you don't like bad games. Good and bad are purely subjective. Some people try to add objectivity to it to pretend their opinion applies to everyone, but it's all subjective, and don't let people convince you otherwise. Also, don't let people convince you to hate yourself either. I've seen people go down some pretty dark paths when they let that happen.

Yes you do. And anyone who tell you otherwise is one of those holier-than- thou types which we have so much of on this site ( see above poster).

So do you like bad games? Apparently yes.
Is it okay to like bad games? Yes
Will i stop you from playing bad games. No

Play all the bAd games you want. As long as you enjoy them, that's all that matters.

I can say your favorite game is the shitiest shit that was ever shit. That should not lessen your enjoyment of the game and you should not think that something is wrong with you for liking it.

If I ever condemn you for liking a game tell me to go fuck myself and do the same to anyone else.

No you dont.

There is no such notion as a bad game. Such as there is no such notion as a good game.
It depends on YOU and YOU alone what is bad and good for YOU. Everything else, ratings, opinions and other such bullshittery is meaningless.

Game quality is subjective. So yeah.
Hey, I think Ryse is a better game then Bioshock Infinite (which is a mediocre game for me). Unpopular opinion and some people (rudely) made fun of it. Well, I dont give a rats ass, when it comes down to it, your own opinion (in this case mine) is absolute. Far and above that of others*. As long as you aint an asshole about it.

*Exception is during a serious academic discussion face to face*

I've got no right to say anything on these topics, I actually enjoyed Aliens: Colonial Marines and derived over 60 hours of play from it. As long as you enjoy the game, does it really matter if others think it is bad?

I like bad games too. DNF is a good example of a game that really isn't good but I often have the urge to replay it because it offered something very few games have offered in the last decade+.

My problem with the current gaming scheme is that we only have mega-budgeted, designed by committee, perfectly orchestrated, masterfully marketed AAA titles, and super-cheap indies (generally in the form of puzzle platformers, 8-bit remakes and lately survival games).

We don't have anything inbetween. Let's say I want to play something like modern Quake II. Why? Maybe simply because I don't want either of the above. I just want a decent game which doesn't look like total ass, isn't a platformer but also doesn't treat me like a complete moron who is there just for the ride.

Here's where 'bad' games come into play. Games that even though they came out in 2014 or 2010 or whatever, would be more at home in 2000 simply because they are not the Michal Bay-style bombastic production we expect from the next Far Cry or so.

These 'bad' games basically replace the 'A', 'AA' or 'B' or whatever is the sub-AAA designation. So, while not my favorites, I will play games like DNF, Mafia II, Wolf 2009, Dreamcatcher, Prince of Persia 2008 etc - games that don't stack up to the latest spunkgargleweewee, or the latest biggest RPG and thus may earn only 6/10 from the press or gamers, but I'll still play them just to have fun.

Now, there are also truly bad games, e.g. broken or unplayable, but that's different.

Apparently people who like the Gothic series (who are considered hardcore RPG fans) like the Risen games.
But DNF and FF13... well, at least its not colonial marines.

Crazy Zaul:
Apparently people who like the Gothic series (who are considered hardcore RPG fans) like the Risen games.
But DNF and FF13... well, at least its not colonial marines.

Actually in my point of view, Risen 2 had very cluncky mechanics, fighting system is not so good, you can say that is objectively not a very good game, same goes for DNF, the platforming and minigames are very loose, so you never feel safe of dying in a stupid way, and still I enjoy that game.
FF13 on the other hand I never finished the game, but it felt like an old JRPG with some twist on the combat and apparently less exploration, is it bad? I don't think so, but popular opinion say that it's the worst, and that might be because it's a FinalFantasy and everyone expects that franchise to be Game of the year.

If there's one thing I took away from music theory, it's that I wasted my tuition. If there's another, it's that the grounds of criticism for an artistic medium are varied. I can enjoy a song that's mechanically bad because it's fun. Or it resonates with me. The same is true of any other medium.

I will still continue to mock Nickelback fans, though.

As for games? I like what I like. I play the often-maligned Dynasty Warriors games unapologetically. If someone thinks that's bad, eh. I don't really care.

Zhukov:

I do enjoy some of those story-focussed games that have bugger all gameplay (Gone Home, Journey, Walking Dead, To The Moon, etc) which some people regard as being made entirely from cyanide and the devil's semen. ("OMG, are you blind, it's not even a game! GAMES have GAMEplay. Jesus!")

Yegads, I was just browsing a board for Proteus and half the threads on it were like that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked