Local multiplayer: Xbox 360 version

If you don't mind, I'm going to shamelessly steal a topic from one "WhiteNachos" although modified so I don't steal his thunder. Thanks in advance for any comments, and I'll try to keep this brief.

Basically I rather enjoy kicking back with friends and playing some multiplayer, but I have real friends, not internet friends, so I need games that support local (or "couch") co-op. Basically some buddies kicking back on the couch with controllers in their hands watching the same screen. My version of this will differ from Nachos' by two details.

One: Let's restrict this to Xbox 360 titles.
Two: Genres.

The first is self-explanatory, as to the second...fighting games are out, as are sports and racing. FPS games...well, only if they are really good. Mostly we enjoy RPGs or action/adventure titles with cooperative campaigns, third person shooters, and most anything with an engaging story and/or character creation system.

The three Army of Two games sound right up your alley, then.

- Army of Two
- Army of Two: The 40th Day
- Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

I played all three of them with my brother couch co-op wise, and they are a blast and a half to play if given the chance. They're third-person shooters with an extensive (nay, encouraged) co-op campaign. I personally found The 40th Day to be the most enjoyable, but your milage may vary.

I can also recommend the Gears of War trilogy in the same vein.

I had always wanted to play The Outfit, which is a 360 exclusive. The footage I saw reminded me of this old ass game called Conflict Desert Storm, which was and still is a guilty pleasure for me. Visuals in The Outfit are far better than CDS though:

Well I think that covers third person shooters. Anyone know a good rpg or adventure for the list?

In terms of co op RPGs, there aren't very many. A lot of people suggest Dungeon Siege III or Sacred II (both similar games, kill enemies gain loot to kill better enemies etc.) on forums that came up in a quick Google search. I never enjoyed the demo much but I played it alone so that could have an impact. There is also Tales of Vesperia or Eternal Sonata which has co op only during battles if you want a JRPG.

Dungeon Siege III (two player)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 (also supports four players, I preferred the first one though)
Borderlands 1 and 2
Hunter the Demons Forge (I actually enjoyed the story on this one and the two characters played very differently)
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
Torchlight is available on arcade but I can't remember if there's local multi-player for it

EDIT: Oh and any Lego game, they are all equally good and equally fun to play.

There has been four post already and not a single mention of Halo...

Given the fact this is franchise that is my only reason why I didn't jump on the PS3 wagon. I would suggest playing Halo

Edit (again): alot of the Tales games also have co-op, if you can deal with the wonky camera. Warrior orochi is anther recommendation

I'm still keeping Halo as a suggestion though, because of the story. (that and Halo 4 has forced rpg element)

Z of the Na'vi:
The three Army of Two games sound right up your alley, then.

- Army of Two
- Army of Two: The 40th Day
- Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

I played all three of them with my brother couch co-op wise, and they are a blast and a half to play if given the chance. They're third-person shooters with an extensive (nay, encouraged) co-op campaign. I personally found The 40th Day to be the most enjoyable, but your milage may vary.

I can also recommend the Gears of War trilogy in the same vein.

Footnote, T40D frequently deletes your progress and TDC has plenty of issues in itself (though many of them are mitigated by your desire for local co-op)

Also, are the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games up your alley? OP, of course.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked