Aggregate of FAVORITE all-time games lists

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Hey guys, if you happen to be a "list-whore", you might find this interesting.

Almost a 1,000 gamers have participated in this All-Time FAVORITE games list so far.
When a gamer makes his/her Top 25 (a Top 10 is also fine), the results are updated in real-time and you can rank any games (as obscure as it can be)!

This list is an aggregate of all gamers lists/opinions, so if you don't like it you can always play around with the demographic filters to see the results from a female perspective or just the people from Portugal (or wherever).

I submitted mine. Kinda amazed/disappointed that Last of Us is winning by a large margin. :/

Also really disappointed that Pokemon Red/Blue are so high. I know they were great back in the day, but every new game that came after is so much better in every way.

No GTA in the top 25 is crazy weird. Though I am glad to see a good mix of games from different eras.

I will of course be putting The Last of Us at the top of my list. In spite of my venerable 26 years.

Partly just to spite the OP and partly because that game fucking rocks.

Surprised it's doing that well as a console exclusive. I wouldn't have thought there were that many people who (a) owned a PS3, (b) played the game, (c) enjoyed the game, (d) were participating in this poll.

EDIT: Was surprisingly hard to think of 25 games.

Now let's see how long it takes before 4Chan or some similar website with a large user base comes along and puts Superman 64 or whatever at the top of the list.

My list is like the an RPG nerd's heaven. Dragon Age: Origins, all of the Mass Effects, the latest Elder Scrolls titles, both KOTORs, and both new Fallouts. My number one game is Mount and Blade: Warband as well. I think I'm an RPG fantic. Only one FPS, which is Battlefield 3. A few strategy titles, the best two Total Wars, Supreme Commander, and Dawn of War. And to finish the list, some fun monster fighters from my childhood. War of the Monsters and Godzilla: Save the Earth.

I think one of the reasons that The Last of Us is on top is because many other popular games will have their votes split among other games in the same series, while tLoU is stand alone. The pokemon votes will be split loads among people who started on different generations.

Well, making that list was a fun nostalgia trip, lots of fun. Thanks for sharing the link. Kinda funny that none of my TOP7 games weren't in overall top 100 of gamer choices.

Hero of Lime:
I submitted mine. Kinda amazed/disappointed that Last of Us is winning by a large margin. :/

Honestly, I'd rather see a legitimately great game like that win then COD or Halo. Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and FF7 seem to be doing fine as well, which pleases me. TLoU isn't the best game ever made, but they could do much worse.

Let's judge the list of whoever has the last post and tell them what you think the best game in there is and why. Then (hopefully) someone will do the same for you.

I'll start things off with my own list. Be gentle...

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

Honestly, I'd rather see a legitimately great game like that win then COD or Halo. Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and FF7 seem to be doing fine as well, which pleases me. TLoU isn't the best game ever made, but they could do much worse.

You know, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other people don't like it.

Now i'm sad again that i won't ever be able to play TLOU, unless ps3 emulators ever gonna become a thing.

erttheking:

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

You know, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other people don't like it.

Are you talking about COD or The Last of Us?

Because I fucking LOVE The Last of Us. That's why I called it "legitimately great" and said I'm glad that popular taste is good enough to pick it over something like COD. That said, I don't know if I'd put it at the number one spot personally. Definitely in my top ten of the generation, maybe in my top ten of all time.

Unless you were talking about COD. It's fine to enjoy them, but they're like the Bay Transformer movies in that I would never put them in a top ten list.

Fox12:

erttheking:

Fox12:

Because I fucking LOVE The Last of Us. That's why I called it "legitimately great" and said I'm glad that popular taste is good enough to pick it over something like COD. That said, I don't know if I'd put it at the number one spot personally. Definitely in my top ten of the generation, maybe in my top ten of all time.

Unless you were talking about COD. It's fine to enjoy them, but they're like the Bay Transformer movies in that I would never put them in a top ten list.

Oh...Oh shit I misread your comment, I'm so sorry.

I want to give it a go, but I suck at itemised lists.

Zhukov:

Now let's see how long it takes before 4Chan or some similar website with a large user base comes along and puts Superman 64 or whatever at the top of the list.

If we can't vote for L-Block, no sale!

erttheking:

Fox12:

erttheking:

Oh...Oh shit I misread your comment, I'm so sorry.

Haha, no problem.

OT: I actually like this list so far. It's pretty well rounded, and a lot of classics are listed pretty high, even if they're not top ten. I can't really begrudge the newer titles though, I fully believe Mass Effect 2 deserves a spot, and Dark Souls is on there too.

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

Honestly, I'd rather see a legitimately great game like that win then COD or Halo.

Say what you want about Halo 4. Say what you you want about Halo: Reach. And say what you want about Halo: ODST, but I'm not going to stand for such nonsense talk as this about Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3.

DISCLAIMER: Halo 3's campaign was rather meh.

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

Honestly, I'd rather see a legitimately great game like that win then COD or Halo.

And I'd rather see people stop baselessly accusing games they don't like because of personal reasons (if even that and not simply "because it's popular") of not being "legitimately great games".

Guess we can't all get what we want.

For the record, I'm taking issue with you randomly throwing Halo under the bus, I couldn't really care less about Call of Duty.

OT: I'd organize a list, but I can't really be bothered setting up yet another account for a website I'm going to use once or twice and then forget about completely. It's too bad, I'd like to be one of those heartless souls who attempts to bring The Last of Us down a few pegs with my peasant tastes of underrepresented things like Banjo-Tooie, Final Fantasy IX, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

EDIT: If anyone wants to point out the hypocrisy or double-standard or whatever displayed in my post, I'd like to point out right now that my statement about The Last of Us is a joke. I didn't particularly enjoy my time with the game, but I've got nothing against it and recognize that it's a good game; it's just not a game for me.

For those who already ranked their all-time favorite games, you can also participate in the Most Anticipated Game list ;)

Surprisingly, The Witcher 3 is dominating the list with a little more than 500 gamers in.

So, this is my list, tried to find the games that I remember having the most fun with through the years...

But it's kind of difficult remembering games you played 10-20 years ago... And if you like them more like title xy you played 1 year ago. I put some games on the list I really enjoyed back then, but if I'd play them today I probably wouldn't have as much fun as I used to, for example stuff like WoW or the odl Pokemon titles.
Suikoden II on the top is a certain thing, though!

shrekfan246:

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

And I'd rather see people stop baselessly accusing games they don't like because of personal reasons (if even that and not simply "because it's popular") of not being "legitimately great games".

Guess we can't all get what we want.

For the record, I'm taking issue with you randomly throwing Halo under the bus, I couldn't really care less about Call of Duty.

OT: I'd organize a list, but I can't really be bothered setting up yet another account for a website I'm going to use once or twice and then forget about completely. It's too bad, I'd like to be one of those heartless souls who attempts to bring The Last of Us down a few pegs with my peasant tastes of underrepresented things like Banjo-Tooie, Final Fantasy IX, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Arnoxthe1:

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

Say what you want about Halo 4. Say what you you want about Halo: Reach. And say what you want about Halo: ODST, but I'm not going to stand for such nonsense talk as this about Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3.

DISCLAIMER: Halo 3's campaign was rather meh.

Hot damn I stirred a hornets nest. I suppose this is normal for any top ten debate though.

I don't hate Halo because it's popular. That's a silly non argument, especially since all the games I listed are popular mainstream titles. When personally judging a game, my main interest is the quality of the narrative, followed by things like art direction, mechanics, ect. Halo has good mechanics, but the story is an incredibly simple alien invasion story that doesn't even make that much sence when you think about it (the humans have mastered space travel, but their main vehicle is a warthog and they still use current forms of ammunition). As a multi player experience, Halo is ground breaking and well polished. To a certain degree, so is COD. As a narrative, and as a single player game, it's pretty mediocre. As a result it would never be included on my personal top ten list. Maybe it's on yours. That's fine, I'm glad you enjoy it, our taste is just different, and that's not a bad thing.

My point is that I'm glad that the entire list isn't just composed of various COD, Halo, and Battlefield games that have come out over the last five years. I saw a list of best Sci Fi films a few years ago, and it was nothing but modern super hero flicks. Star Wars, Star Trek, and 2001 A Space Odyssey weren't even mentioned. The newest Iron Man won number one, because it had come out a month before hand. The list up above was much more varied, and I think that's a good thing.

My only problem is I'm struggling to think of 25 games that I'd deem worthy to be in my top 25.
I've easily played enough games, but can only think of 5 or so 'top' games, all others are lost in the quagmire of ambiguity.

leberkaese:
So, this is my list, tried to find the games that I remember having the most fun with through the years...

Nice to see more love for Suikoden II.

btw Konami, where the hell is Suikoden VI??

Zhukov:

That would actually be kind of amusing in a way. Wonder what 4chans list would look like. Superman64, E.T.2600 ...Bubsy 3D?

shrekfan246:
[quote="Fox12" post="9.857894.21266107"]OT: I'd organize a list, but I can't really be bothered setting up yet another account for a website I'm going to use once or twice and then forget about completely. It's too bad, I'd like to be one of those heartless souls who attempts to bring The Last of Us down a few pegs with my peasant tastes of underrepresented things like Banjo-Tooie, Final Fantasy IX, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Same, can't be arsed to set up a whole account for this. Though I agree Final Fantasy IX and some other RPGs would definitely be on my list as well. Plus a bunch of Castlevania games.

Well, I can at least feel good about helping Bioshock into the top ten. Not as pleased with the diversity as I would like to be. http://www.favslist.com/users/Sam-Emmendorfer/3840/lists/4

Put up my personal list:

http://www.favslist.com/users/William-Fleming/3842/lists/4

And then went on to make a favourite fighting games list with the highest community votes were Sub zero and Scorpion. Ah well, they are in one of the most well known fighting game franchises of all time. So I start making own list in that category and realise that its missing Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, in fact, the only GG character I could find was Bridgette (who is popular for a certain reason that can found in a quick Google search for anyone who doesn't know).

I can't help but feel that the site is populated by "casuals" for lack of a better word and also Mass Effect 2 at rank #1. I think its best that I don't go near that site again but I just don't agree with Mass Effect 2 being rated #1 game of all time.

Fox12:

I don't hate Halo because it's popular. That's a silly non argument, especially since all the games I listed are popular mainstream titles. When personally judging a game, my main interest is the quality of the narrative, followed by things like art direction, mechanics, ect. Halo has good mechanics, but the story is an incredibly simple alien invasion story that doesn't even make that much sence when you think about it (the humans have mastered space travel, but their main vehicle is a warthog and they still use current forms of ammunition). As a multi player experience, Halo is ground breaking and well polished. To a certain degree, so is COD. As a narrative, and as a single player game, it's pretty mediocre. As a result it would never be included on my personal top ten list. Maybe it's on yours. That's fine, I'm glad you enjoy it, our taste is just different, and that's not a bad thing.

Fair enough. Personally, part of the reason I enjoy Halo so much is because its story doesn't try to go too overboard in being complicated or concerned with specifics while also not building up simplistic political parties which are completely black and white e.g. the Covenant Civil War. I also feel that it manages to integrate all of its mechanics into the story far better than most games, and builds maps which complement those mechanics nicely.

And I highly doubt you'd ever see a list of "Top [Number] Games" that was full of nothing but shooters, unless you were specifically looking for a list of shooters or found it on a website that doesn't regularly cover video gaming topics. Even Call of Duty has begun losing its stranglehold on the industry, albeit slowly, and the copycats have routinely been relatively bad for years.

Ratty:
Though I agree Final Fantasy IX and some other RPGs would definitely be on my list as well. Plus a bunch of Castlevania games.

I can live with Final Fantasy VII being there, I suppose, but the lack of IX certainly hits me in the feels. Though I know it tends to be as much of a black sheep of the franchise as VIII was; a lot of people didn't like the art style, or they don't like the combat system, or they don't find the story interesting, etc.

Oh well. Just because it's my favorite game doesn't mean it'll be anyone else's.

>Frog Fractions doesn't even register

Well, that just won't do at all! D:

Also, "Riven" being in the 800s is just criminal. Almost as criminal as "Uru" being in the 1000s.

kasperbbs:
Now i'm sad again that i won't ever be able to play TLOU, unless ps3 emulators ever gonna become a thing.

just buy an old ps3 in a couple of years on the cheap. that's what I'm gonna do

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

Yeah I should say I don't think it deserves being #1, I know a lot of people love it, I just wouldn't put it at the top as you said. Now I know how people who don't have a good opinion of Ocarina of Time feel every time it tops "best game" lists. XD

erttheking:

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:

My comment probably makes me look like I'm really unhappy about it, but I'm just more surprised. I've seen lots of love for Last of Us, but I didn't think it would overtake all the crowd favorites like Ocarina of Time, Mass Effect 2, Half Life 2 etc.

I'm honestly much more sad about Pokemon Black and White's incredibly low placement on the list personally.

My list, for those that are curious. My list may not be "complete" as I have a strict one game per franchise rule, otherwise there would be too many repeats with a select few franchises dominating. This list also seems to split ports, compilations, and other remakes/remasters as well, which might bugger up the voting process. For example, Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix are considered different entries, as are Okami and Okami HD (ie the PS3 port), and then there's Slys 1, 2, and 3 and then the Sly Cooper Collection (which contains all 3).

Glad Shadow of the Colossus is doing well. Journey also made the top 30 so far. Woo!

William Fleming:

I can't help but feel that the site is populated by "casuals" for lack of a better word and also Mass Effect 2 at rank #1. I think its best that I don't go near that site again but I just don't agree with Mass Effect 2 being rated #1 game of all time.

It's because hardcore gamers don't need to validate the superiority of their favourites. You could say neither do casuals, they just do those lists for fun, but that hardly matters: only casuals play "for fun".

Any top list that doesn't include UFO: Enemy Unknown, Elite, Nethack, Dwarf Fortress, Cookie Clicker, Hearts of Iron II, and Deus Ex in that order is absolute whack.

What a terrible list. If that is indicative of the actual gaming public, it answers the question why AAA publishers are producing and selling shit. Baldur's Gate II 147, Mirror's Edge, 101 (also ahead of XCOM:EU, UT, BG&E, SS2, Monkey Island 2.

I cannot give that list any legitimacy, it would make me weep for gaming as a whole. I suspect it was filled out overwhelmingly by console gamers under twenty.

lacktheknack:
>Frog Fractions doesn't even register

Well, that just won't do at all! D:

Also, "Riven" being in the 800s is just criminal. Almost as criminal as "Uru" being in the 1000s.

Well, at least Uru is doing better than Titanfall.

EDIT I'd really like to know why Supreme Commander is stuck at 2257.

Done! Good to see that some games that sometimes get a lot of flak (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, OoT, etc) are still quite beloved by the public for what they are: Games with flaws, but some of the best out there nonetheless.

Bad Jim:
Well, at least Uru is doing better than Titanfall.

EDIT I'd really like to know why Supreme Commander is stuck at 2257.

lolwut? That's just bizarre and unexpected.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked