Should the PS4 and Gamers Boycott Tomb Raider?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The selling out, misleading and lets face it downright lying to consumers needs to end. Should the PS4 or Gamers simply Boycott Tomb Raider under principle now.

Sure Tomb Raider isn't really an exclusive, but that doesn't change the fact Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix sold out and purposely tried to mislead people into buying MSs shitty system to play a game that they don't need to buy their shitty system to play, and did everything under the sun to try and avoid the question outright.

Luckily MS has sung this dance before and game journalists were ready, but that doesn't make it any less of a sell out or wrong.

It's a kind of shitty thing to do, but a boycott seems kind of extreme. Just do what I do; buy the game on a steam sale when it's like five bucks. The last Tomb Raider got there after a few months, I doubt this one will take much longer than that.

Though if you feel that strongly about it you are perfectly entitled to not buy it. I just don't think this shitty action is the one that warrants a boycott out of all the other shitty actions the Game Industry does on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time before it goes cross-platform.

Can you really boycott a game they don't want to sell to you? They kind of know a lot of people won't be able to buy it...

well its timed so meh and who knows if it will be any good

How can you boycott a game for a system you don't own? You weren't going to able to purchase it in the first place, if you only own a PC or PS4.

Johnny Novgorod:

Microsoft confirmed that recently, so yeah.

I mean, it's pretty messed up, and this sort of thing is currently ruining the industry. I wouldn't be against it, but then again I would probably just boycott consoles in general since they cause these sort of things...

Is it a boycott if I wasn't going to buy it anyways? I didn't think the first one was very good and have no idea why the gaming community was praising it as much as they did.

PC are also gamers dude, like, why only mention PSbros

anyways, that might give the wrong kind of message, as in "look at how few copies we sold on PS4 and PC, maybe not making it exclusive wasnt such a good idea"

i dunno

I'm going to boycott Batman vs Superman, because apparently it's a theaters-only timed exclusive. Once again the DVD-buying demographic get treated like second-class citizens >:(

I'll buy it on Steam when it's $5 or something. There's no way in hell that I'm paying full price after this. Or half the price. Fuck 'em.

Johnny Novgorod:

Dead Century:
How can you boycott a game for a system you don't own? You weren't going to able to purchase it in the first place, if you only own a PC or PS4.

I thought this was common knowledge and I was clear, but apparently it needs to be said. It was confirmed TR was just a timed exclusive I suggesting a boycott anyway.

if you want it right now, buy a xbone. If you don't want to, wait for the game to come out on your preferred platform. I don't remember there being that much outrage every time a pc port comes out much later?

disgruntledgamer:

Johnny Novgorod:

Dead Century:

I thought this was common knowledge and I was clear, but apparently it needs to be said. It was confirmed TR was just a timed exclusive I suggesting a boycott anyway.

Ohhh, sorry, missed that bit.

Hmm. I guess people could boycott if they really wanted to, but this is nothing new in gaming business practices.

I just love the hatred that's going on within this forums over this. Keep it up Escapist, you doing me so proud that we can't handle any bit of news at all.

Buying Uncharted and making Tomb Raider's sales look lesser is likely the best thing you can do to that end.

I have yet to play the other tomb raider (got it free), but I definately won't get this one. Uncharted however is within my radar especially now, I want Tomb Raider even with their avoidance of direct battle with Uncharted to just be humiliated...why? They cheated me of a match, dueling games like don't come around all the time maggle.

Oh chill, they confirmed that it's just a timed exclusive.

It's coming out on one platform before the other. Not the end of the world.

I mean, sure, if you want to scream boycott over that then feel free, it's your money. But... meh.

Just don't pre-order it. And then wait for the XBoners to play and watch the reviews and word of mouth to see if it's a good game or not, then make the purchase decision accordingly.

Zhukov:

I mean, sure, if you want to scream boycott over that then feel free, it's your money. But... meh.

I'm not really sure there's a limit to the level of insignificant things people will still cry "Boycott!" over.

OT: I doubt it'll even be necessary, unless Rise of the Tomb Raider gets far better sales than Tomb Raider did, the Xbox sales should be proof alone that having a limited initial release was a silly idea. Never forget that this is the publisher which considered three million sales in the space of a few months to be a failure and disappointment.

disgruntledgamer:
The selling out, misleading and lets face it downright lying to consumers needs to end. Should the PS4 or Gamers simply Boycott Tomb Raider under principle now.

Sure Tomb Raider isn't really an exclusive, but that doesn't change the fact Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix sold out and purposely tried to mislead people into buying MSs shitty system to play a game that they don't need to buy their shitty system to play, and did everything under the sun to try and avoid the question outright.

Luckily MS has sung this dance before and game journalists were ready, but that doesn't make it any less of a sell out or wrong.

You think thats bad? The DAYZ devs sold out.

They announced a PS4 version built with early access money. Its a mess on PC that they will drag to Playstation to get even more money for an unfinished game.

Thank god I only have the mod, and that I contributed nothing to his bank account.

That's all gamescom has been right now, selling out. Its sad to see early access devs abuse a system that upstanding devs rely on for funding. Sickening.

when it comes to a big corporation doing an exclusivity deal, and an early access dev lying to his backers, who do you think I am more angry at?

Go for it. Gather all thine army in protest and fight the power.

As for me, I just so happen to also have one of those "shitty systems" so...

Also, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed to be a timed exclusive.

Well, since there aren't that many quality AAA titles available for the PS4 to begin with, then boycotting a franchise which has so far yielded one of its best games doesn't seem like much of an option.

This were one of 4 PS4 games I were looking forward to... and it still is, since it's a timed exclusive that'll undoubtedly arrive on PS4 (and/or PC) at some point. Though we'll probably have to wait a year for it. Oh, the humanity.

If you don't physically need the game on day 1, timed exclusives can be quite good for consumers on other platforms. Usually, on PC anyway, we get the game much cheaper, fully vetted and get all the DLC bundled for free.

Then wait a week after release and see if the controls or UI were botched. It's usually win/win. We either get a much better version than consoles for cheaper, with more content and modders ready to start fixing the problems that have been in the game for months, or we get a broken re-release, and have no obligation to buy it until it's like 3 dollars, or we know in advance it's a stinker because the press blackouts have been over for months and we ignore it.

I know this same formula is going to hold much truer for ports from XB1 to PS4 than XBOX to PS3 because now you don't have to worry about the cell processor throwing a wrench in the port: you should get the same game with all the day 1 dlc and first quarter DLC bundled like the master race is used to.

I don't think a boycott is necessary, especially since Rise of the Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive, not a "real" exclusive. I assume that Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics went to Microsoft with a begging bowl and Microsoft said "OK, but we want timed exclusivity in return for our investment". In a way, this is a result of Square Enix having previously set unrealistic expectations on how many copies of Tomb Raider they would sell, so perhaps they were being unnecessarily ultra-cautious when it came to funding the sequel.

Anyway, the revelation means that it's up to Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics to prove they're not going to defecate over the consumer, by releasing Rise of the Tomb Raider - albeit at a later date - on PS3, PS4 and PC.

Time exclusive! That just mean we are going to get the best version of the game later down the line.

NinthPlanet86:
I assume that Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics went to Microsoft with a begging bowl and Microsoft said "OK, but we want timed exclusivity in return for our investment".

Purely speculation on my part of course, but I rather suspect it was the other way around.

"Please oh please let us tout your sequel to a successful game as an exclusive to our system so we can try and haul it out of the shit pit."

Ill just wait until it comes out on the PS4 and is at a price I am willing to pay before snatching it upwhich is kinda what i was going to do anyway. I can wait on games like this I only got Skyrim a few weeks ago and still havent played it most games I am content to wait for nowadays.

C'mon, did any of you actually think this was going to stay an exclusive?

My immeadiate reaction was- `Psh, yeah right, I wonder how long that will last`.

Just wait til it comes out on PS4. I'd say don't boycott it. In fact do the opposite, wait until it's on PS4 and then all buy it.

krazykidd:
Time exclusive! That just mean we are going to get the best version of the game later down the line.

Yes I mentioned that I'm implying a boycott despite, mainly from trying to fool everyone again.

I'll boycott it. Though, I wouldn't buy it anyway even if it wasn't pulling this timed exclusivity bullshit. I've never cared for Tomb Raider anyway.

They think that people will buy an Xbone to get tomb raider they have another thing coming

alienating 2/3 of the market to try and get console sales is a terrible business practice.

Tomb Raider is good but not good enough for me to shell out 600+ for console and game ( in Aus)

THey dont want my money and it makes me not want to buy a Xbone ever

Wait, so because they bought a timed-exclusivity deal, just like what your Sony overlords have done in the past, the developers of the game are scum of the earth? Do xbox gamers deserve the same rights to qq about not having PS4 exclusives? I'd assume you wouldn't think so, given how anti-Microsoft your post is. Get over yourself, exclusives aren't a new thing; until Sony is willing to stop doing them, Microsoft has NO reason to stop pursuing them as well.

And people on these forums always say that its the PC gamers that are violent and uppity, yet at least we don't cry 'boycott' at the first missed exclusive.

Phasmal:
Just wait til it comes out on PS4. I'd say don't boycott it. In fact do the opposite, wait until it's on PS4 and then all buy it.

That's probably the best response (if you don't have an Xbone). Show that these types of shenanigans don't work by buying it on the PS4 or PC. Boycotting will only hurt Crystal Dynamics who don't have any say over what system Square wants to put it on. So instead of boycotting just embarrass Square and Microsoft.

No I'm not boycotting Tomb Raider. I won't be buying an Xbone to play it, but assuming it does come to PC I will absolutely pick it up (pending my usual check of reviews, bugs, etc). I've really enjoyed Legend, Underworld, Anniversary and TR2013 so I don't want to miss Rise. I'm not happy about the last couple of days but a boycott would hurt me too.

I may decide to delay my purchase of Osiris until Rise has been 100% confirmed for PC, but I didn't plan on picking it up on day one anyway because its not part of the main franchise and there are several more high profile games on my wishlist up to Xmas.

Well I have no interest in the modern incarnations of Tomb Raider, so I won't be getting it anyways, but I'd say, on principle, yes you should. If you want this industry to change, you have to vote with your wallet. Do not financially support something you stand against. That's the only way bullshit like this will stop - if it no longer lines their pockets. If you do give money to them even after doing shit like this, well, you're really in no standing to complain about it in the future. It's that very same money that drives it onward.

Of course, the majority of people don't really care about such 'trivial' matters, which is why I really see it as a lost cause. But eh, I don't want to be a hypocrite, so I'll stick to my guns.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked