Does it make sense to mix Zelda with Dynasty warriors?

So I have been looking at some vidoes of the new zelda game called Hyrule Warriors that is being made by the makers of zelda and dynasty warriors.

I dunno, when I think zelda I don't actually think "guy with swords uses super combos to throw a million bad guys into the air". It also looks odd seeing zelda heirself doing this. If she can beat up a million enemies then why does she need Link to save heir?

Do you think the combo of Zelda and DW makes sense?

Yes, because it's pretty much a sure fire way to make oodles of money in Japan. Hell, this isn't the first time another franchise has gotten this treatment. One Piece, a series that is adored in Japan, has 2 Warrior games, and Gundam has 3 of them alone.
I mean it's really quite an easy money seller because it's pretty designed to print money. It's definitely the safest thing that Nintendo could have done with this type of game to be sure.

Fire emblem would work better but from a financial standpoint Hyrule warriors makes absolute sense.

The warrior games are very popular in Japan and Zelda is one of gaming's most famous franchises. Its a very safe move for both companies involved.

Science has demonstrated that you can mix literally anything with Dynasty Warriors and what comes out is more Dynasty Warriors.

So, if you want to chop many dudes and not pursue Lu Bu Ganondorf then yes, it makes sense to mix Zelda and Dynasty Warriors.

Also you can play mad bug lady Agitha who is apparently best mates with Mothra now, I'm not sure how that can be bad.

I don't know, did it make sense to combine Disney and Final Fantasy?

Does it make sense? Who cares, the game actually looks pretty good. And instead of it being Random Asian looking dude, killing a ton of asian enemies, its now beloved franchise characters, killing a ton of franchise enemies... Good enough for me!

No. It makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. And that is why it looks so awesome.

Not really, no. But then, neither does "A rat in Paris tries to fulfill his dream of being a chef", "high school kids try to thwart a serial killer using the power to literally enter televisions and fight shadows", "A blue hedgehog uses his superspeed to fight an egg shaped villain trying to turn everyone in the world into robots", "a dating simulator where everyone is a pigeon", or "King Arthur is summoned to the present to fight legendary heroes in a secret war for the Holy Grail". Point being, don't knock it just because it's weird. Weird concepts are not mutually exclusive with quality.

Hades:
Fire emblem would work better but from a financial standpoint Hyrule warriors makes absolute sense.

The warrior games are very popular in Japan and Zelda is one of gaming's most famous franchises. Its a very safe move for both companies involved.

Yeah, I have been saying the same thing in regards to Fire Emblem. I am really hyped for Hyrule Warriors, so I hope they give FE the same treatment.

I love these comments from people that have never played a warriors game.
Seriously, go look up "Dynasty Warriors Opening", and just play any of them.
Those are hystorical figures doing that stuff (one of them has a guy slam a river so hard it creates a tidal wave then runs his horse down the side of it), it didn't make sense then either.
Plus, they've done Gundam, One Piece, and other series with this, and even had Bladestorm mulch the hundred years war history to a pulp by having people that DID NOT LIVE DURING THE SAME TIME meet up to go slice through tons of people.

If anything, this is the most sane Warriors game coming out, and the cinematics are still going to be off their rockers.

No. Not at all. Fun doesn't need to make sense. Have you played the Dynasty Warriors games? They're stupid nonsense. If Peach can beat up Bowser in Super Smash Bros. then why does Mario need to save her. I don't think Hyrule Warriors is really meant to be canon and even if it is, this is Zelda. The story is pretty much nonsense anyway

You don't always need 'sense' when trying new things, hell, this might bring new players to the Dynasty Warrior games because 'That one with Link in it was remarkably fun!' Crossover series like that can be eye opening to different audiences and besides, it's better to try something new and get no reaction than to make the same easy game yet again. And the buzz I'm hearing it mostly positive already...

cloroxbb:
Does it make sense? Who cares, the game actually looks pretty good. And instead of it being Random Asian looking dude, killing a ton of asian enemies, its now beloved franchise characters, killing a ton of franchise enemies... Good enough for me!

They're not really random asian dudes, considering it's based on a book that's based on actual Chinese history.

GloatingSwine:
Science has demonstrated that you can mix literally anything with Dynasty Warriors and what comes out is more Dynasty Warriors.

Pretty much, the game looks to be DW with a Zelda skin which isn't a bad thing, diversifying the old franchise and preventing stagnation.

DarklordKyo:

They're not really random asian dudes, considering it's based on a book that's based on actual Chinese history.

Three Kingdom period right?

Does crossing over Marvel and Capcom make sense? Or how about Fire Emblem and SMT? No, and that's part of the reason for it. You take two very disparately different series with very different styles and find a way to marry them together in one way or another. A lot of people bring up how FE would be a better fit, but it's more like they mean it would be an "easier" fit; it would have been completely pedestrian and legitimately just a reskinned Warriors game. Zelda let them do some different stuff they wouldn't normally try.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

of course

Ed130 The Vanguard:

GloatingSwine:

Pretty much, the game looks to be DW with a Zelda skin which isn't a bad thing, diversifying the old franchise and preventing stagnation.

DarklordKyo:

Correct. The Dynasty Warriors series is a very loose interpretation of the epic novel Romance of the Three Kingodms that was most likely written by a man named Luo Guanzhong, which was itself a heavily romanticized (hence the name) version of the Three Kingdoms War, an epic conflict spanning many years between the Wu, Wei, and Shu dynasties, in Ancient China after the Han dynasty fell apart.

It's such a ridiculously popular work that a lot of people take the events that occur in it as established fact, despite there being multitudes of fictitious elements and inaccuracies, and it having a rather distinct cultural bias.

It makes slightly more sense than Sengoku Basara. Note also that Sengoku Basara is completely and utterly awesome.

Also, actually managed to play the demo for Hyrule Warriors. It's pretty fun.

Why is it not a good thing? Dynasty Warriors is a great series and mashing it up with LoZ is pretty cool IMO. I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't like this, short of it being a crappy rushed game, which I doubt will happen. Besides, it doesn't have to make sense.
Hell Super Smash Bros. doesn't make any sense either but its one of the most successful, broken as hell, fighting games that isn't Tekken or Street Fighter.
So making sense? Who cares? It looks awesome and fun and in a gaming sense, isn't that all we really want out of a game? Something fun to play? (don't start with the "I want a good story" stuff either, a good story in a boring game doesn't fly).

Considering everyone who likes either franchise is jizzing their pants... I'd say it makes a very sound business decision.
You could dress DW up with any popular theme and make immense piles of cash.

Will it be a good game... oh fuck no, it's Dynasty Warriors, these devs have mastered making shit so bad the hilarity turns it into kinda good (as long as you don't spend more then $10).

There are 4 Gundam Dynasty warrior games, so yeah it makes perfect sense.

There's a shit ton of games with no sense that were made and became instant classics. That's the thing about art, playing it safe doesn't make you stand out.

I personally like the Sengoku Basara series better. Compared to the Warriors games, they have a more complex combat system. Not surprising since it is made from the Devil May Cry team.

Hades:

That is actually a brilliant idea. The Fire Emblem series would make for a great beat-em-up action game!

Hades:

Agreed. Fire Emblem is too niche of a series for it to work financially and Nintendo isn't really willing to try with non-Zelda/Mario stuff anyway.

Now a Fire Emblem/Nobunaga's Ambition cross over (a la Pokemon Conquest) would be cool. It's really just be an FE game with more emphasis on large scale campaign planning over battle tactics.

sextus the crazy:

Agreed. Fire Emblem is too niche of a series for it to work financially and Nintendo isn't really willing to try with non-Zelda/Mario stuff anyway.

Now a Fire Emblem/Nobunaga's Ambition cross over (a la Pokemon Conquest) would be cool. It's really just be an FE game with more emphasis on large scale campaign planning over battle tactics.

as I noted above though, the more I think about it the more I struggle to think about what FE could bring to Warriors formulas. With Zelda you have the huge bosses, the gadgets, the plethora of weird, offbeat characters, the exotic locations, etc. FE doesn't really have that. It has characters, but mechanics-wise I can't think of anything FE could really add to Warriors.

Same thing with Nobunaga's Ambition. They're both strategy games, which unfortunately means there's too much overlap. It'd just be a reskin. Doing it with Pokemon on the other hand meant they could do some radically different stuff for both franchises. It's why the idea of SMT x FE is far stranger, but also opens up more potential.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked