Training tools to improve aim in FPS?

While playing the Killzone 2 demo today, and trying to get a feel for where my bullets actually were going with the reticle turned off I got to thinking: "Wouldn't it be nice if these games had a virtual shooting range so you could practice aiming?" We have triaining modes in fighting games, I don't see why we can't have them in FPS'.

Some features I would like to see in such a training mode or even standalone game are some form of bullet plotting so you can see how your bullets are traveling when you fire, exercises with bots doing various things while you try to shoot them.

What do you all here at the Escapist think? Any other ideas for such a thing or examples of stuff that already exists that I could try?

I know MGS4 has a virtual range and they allow you to test all the weapons you have accumulated with unlimited ammo on standing targets, but its MGS4, we're talking about good FPSs.

The only real training you need, is on the job. You can get a feel for it in the single-player when it comes out, but the real practice comes from just tinkering with it while you're engaging in combat. Plus, it helps you learn some tricks.

MGS4 had one where you could load up your save and try out all the weapons you had. I don't really think it's necessary, since your bullets spark when they hit and leave pockmarks on everything. The only thing that would actually have a trajectory is a grenade launcher, mortar, or regular grenades, unless you're actually shooting at long range.

I do think a sniper game where you have to adjust your scope properly for each shot would be cool though. Have to stop and calculate distance, windage, MOA, and all that fun stuff.

shadow skill:
While playing the Killzone 2 demo today, and trying to get a feel for where my bullets actually were going with the reticle turned off I got to thinking: "Wouldn't it be nice if these games had a virtual shooting range so you could practice aiming?" We have triaining modes in fighting games, I don't see why we can't have them in FPS'.

Some features I would like to see in such a training mode or even standalone game are some form of bullet plotting so you can see how your bullets are traveling when you fire, exercises with bots doing various things while you try to shoot them.

What do you all here at the Escapist think? Any other ideas for such a thing or examples of stuff that already exists that I could try?

I remember older FPSs on a variety of platforms having things like this such as older versions of Counter Strike on the PC and Perfect Dark.

Alas, I think this game paradigm was abandoned because the best practice is just straight up playing :):(

Huh. Practically every FPS I can remember playing has had that, and I guess it was sort of good. So yeah, I'm all for keeping it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked