Your all-time favorite DLC

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So there's a wealth of hatred and suspicion towards DLCs and more pointedly at how certain devs abuse them to make a quick buck and produce either shoddy material or content that should have been in the game day ONE.

Let's flip the cards and tackle the issue with a bit of positivity to show these devs what we actually WANT out of a DLC.

Mention your favorite DLC(s) and why you enjoyed them so much.

I really hate buying DLC so I don't have a lot of options, I guess the best "big" DLC I bought is the borderlands 2 RPG spoof, it was actually funny, was different enough to be entertaining and actually gave us a look into a side character in a very sad way.

Oh, and a shotgun that shoots swords.

EDIT: I'm speaking about free DLC that comes with Gold/GOTY/WTF Editions. I've never paid for DLC in my life. My idea of Good DLC is the one you get for free in the first place.

The first Borderlands did DLC right. New missions, new enemies, new challenges, new locales, new characters, etc. "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned" is like Borderlands' Halloween Special and was a lot of fun. "The Secret Armory of General Knoxx" and "Claptrap's New Robot Revolution" were a lot of fun as well. "Moxxi's Underdome" not so much, it's basically a battle arena and an incredibly taxing one at that, too. The harder levels take up something like 2 hours to complete and there's no saving at any point :/ But the other DLC was a lot of fun and felt like a fun bonus that extended the experience considerably.

Assassin's Creed II had "Bonfire of Vanities" and "The Battle of Forli". I liked them both, each added two self-contained, historically sensitive narratives that blend in seamlessly into AC2 while working on their own as well. I especially liked 'Bonfire' since it was all about stealth and assassinations (and Savonarola makes a great villain), as opposed to the action-oriented 'Forli'. I hear there's another DLC for exploring the Auditore family crypt, but that it boils down to a bit of tepid platforming.

Resident Evil 5's DLC was OK. "Desperate Escape" is pretty intense on any difficulty. "Lost in Nightmares" is basically a taste of Revelations. I liked it a lot, it reminded me of good old RE days and was the closest thing the game ever got to being scary.

On the other hand Far Cry 3 has mostly crap DLC. So far I cashed in the following: a wallpaper, a revolver, a tattoo skin pack and a mission called "Testing Unit". I timed it. It's 13 minutes of walking around an abandoned lab. You shoot a bear, 2 snakes and about half a dozen dogs. You get 2000 XP and $2000. That's it. No mileage, no narrative, no challenge, no difference. I hear "Monkey Business" is good though. And it's nice they extended the co-op campaign by 2 more chapters, at least on the PS3.

Batman Arkham Asylum doesn't have good DLC. I don't care for more challenge maps, they're all more or less the same. Playing as Joker in challenge mode is a fun novelty for a few minutes, and that's that. The combat system was designed for Batman. Joker controls poorly, especially in the stealth maps. Batman Arkham City did DLC a bit better, blending in Catwoman into the main story and adding the "Harley Quinn's Revenge" epilogue, but that - while fun to play - was ultimately disappointing. Robin controls differently enough from Batman and feels like an upgrade on some counts of combat (stealth, not so much). But the story goes nowhere. After Arkham City ends on such a strong note, Harley Quinn's Revenge plays like an unnecessary afterthought.
I don't care for downloadable maps/skins/weapons/wallpapers. That's the kind of stuff that shouldn't get cut out in the first place. And if it does, let me get if for free. What I like are extra missions/campaigns. Whether they're bonus stuff or they blend into the main story, I don't care. Either give me more of the good stuff (assassinations in AC2, scary survival in RE5) or carry on doing whatever it was that you were doing in the first place because that just dandy, no matter if you're continuing the main narrative or making up something entirely new and self-contained (Borderlands).

The Secret Armory of General Knoxx

Objectivly the best DLC that the Borderlands series has gotten. It was pretty much the prototype for BL2. It added so much content. New vehicles(Crimson Lance tanks that you only saw during a few missions during the origional), shift in the writting and was actually funny(at least I remember thinking that), huge variety of new enemies(all of which were recycled in BL2), the first raid boss(CRAWMRAX), and finally delivernig on the promise of a vault.

Quality DLC that really improved the game in every way. Hard to find stuff like that these days.

Dansen:
The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (...) shift in the writting and was actually funny(at least I remember thinking that)

Knoxx was the one consistently funny thing about the game. I've said it before - most of the center stage humor falls flat, while the littler things like weapon descriptions and textual briefings are usually pretty funny - but Knoxx's voice actor delivers good deadpan comedy.

Man, I can't pick just one!

Mass Effect 2 - Kasumi's Stolen Memory
For Kasumi (whom I adore as a character), the best SMG in the series, and her mission was fun and creative.

Fable 2 - Knothole Island
Two things that make me love this DLC: brand new bad ass weapon augments, and extra augment slots master katana.
Oh, and the ability to bring your dog back to life.

Mass Effect 3 - Citadel
Of the four main DLCs (five if you want to count the extended cut), this is the only one that didn't feel like cut content. All sorts of stupid fun, soooo much content, hours and hours of fun, and my baby, the M-7 Lancer.

Fun times later, my love.

Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer
Pretty much the only reason I had fun playing Borderlands 2 is because of Gaige and Deathtrap. They're just so much fun, both as characters and as a class.

Borderlands 2 - Assault on Dragon Keep
Besides being the only mission DLC I can remember from it, this is the only one I can recall enjoying (a lot for that matter). It added a whole lot to the characters, and it's the best bit of story the game has to offer.

I can't help but feel that I'm forgetting some.

I can think of a few pieces of DLC I really like, though most of them tend to be online expansion packs (which, to be fair, is how I think DLC should be done). But anyway:

Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea, Part 2: The first part is reasonably good but the second part of this DLC is fantastic. It's got a really tense and oppressive atmosphere, which is how a game in Rapture should feel really, and it's very-much stealth-based which I really appreciated. Plus it had a fantastically harrowing moment or two, juxtaposed with a some glorious sections. Basically it all jut fitted together beautifully.

Similarly, the DLC for Skyrim is also all solid though my personal favourite of them is Dragonborn. I mean, the base game is good enough but getting to be back to Solstheim and run around there is awesome. I don't know how much it really adds to the game but I love it all the same.

I think the Assassin's Creed franchise has some pretty cool DLC as well. IV: Black Flag has Freedom Cry, which is very enjoyable but I have to admit I love the DLC for III, The Tyranny of King Washington. It has some issues - after all, the base game is a bit glitchy anyway, and the DLC occasionally ramps up the diffculty a bit but it's still a lot of fun. I particularly like the whole alternate history thing that's going on there.

General Knoxx is my blueprint for a great DLC. Not only does it add several hours of new content, many new enemies and new weapons, but it actually changes the direction of the entire series. General Knoxx was when Borderlands solidified its approach to humor and storytelling. It's easily the most amusing section of the original game, and led directly into BL2, the apex of the series.

As for more story-driven games, Bioware has made some great DLC. Lair of the Shadow Broker and Citadel for the Mass Effect series are fantastic. They tell complete stories, they add new characters and reintroduce old ones, and add some differently designed combat encounters. The Dragon Age series has a similar philosophy. Awakening is more of an expansion than DLC add-on content, but it is nevertheless a terrific addition.

Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea, Part 1 & 2 - Absolutely loved it from start to finish. The noir atmosphere, the dialogue, the combat system, the characterization of Elizabeth as a damn near bloody thirsty hunter. Absolutely perfect from start and finish.

Mass Effect 3: Citadel - So self aware! Wrex and Grunt simply screaming "Shepard!" over and over. All the little winks to the audience, the comedy, the romance and fun moments. Clone fucking Shepard! Like something out a 50s movie! A very comical end to the best video game trilogy ever.

Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blue - Again, getting back to the comedy DLC. Its pretty much a 50s movie! The way to initially start the DLC is to get abducted by robots from a drive-in movie for fuck's sake! Mad scientists who placed their brains in floating robot voices, ray guns, mutants, giant robots, talking electronics! I mean Dr.0 is voiced by James Urbaniak! That's Dr. Venture's voice! And he basically played the same inept, inferiority complex, megalomaniac idiot. I can't remember ever laughing as hard at a DLC than I did that one.

Pre-Release DLC that looks amazing. Toy Soldiers: War chest - You might notice I'm a big fan of comedy DLCs. I think that a game that can laugh at itself and doesn't take itself so seriously shows a lot about the developers. Say what you will about Destiny or Dark Souls or The Witcher or even Far Cry, but man those games take themselves way too seriously. Anyway, War Chest. My Little Ponies rainbow Unicorns charging all along the Western Front in WW1. Much as I love the show, hot damn it would be fun to use mustard gas to kill thirty ponies in one go! I mean talk about a cathartic action!

Outlast: Whistleblower is the finest piece of DLC I've played

Story that ties things together, new villains that are arguably more scary than the original, reasonable price for length...

I love it <3

I see 3 people naming The Secret Armory of General Knoxx. I have to agree to an extend but personally, I like Torgue's Campaign of Carnage more.

Definitely Mass Effect 3: Citadel, for being a massive love letter and send-off to the trilogy. There's a massive amount of content in the DLC: on top of the missions, the added crew interactions on the Citadel, the Arcade, the Arena, and the party, there's also a ridiculous amount of variation based on who's survived, who shows up, and your relationships with your various crewmates past and present. There's a ton of humour, the heart-warming conclusion to the DLC storyline about what makes Shepard the badass they are, and the tear-jerking end of Shepard's last adventure.

So, in short, "...the best."

Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep from Borderlands 2 is one of the more noteworthy DLC's to spring to mind in terms of overall quality.

With the story ending up to be far more emotional than it first lets on, Dragon Keep almost ends up turning Borderlands 2 into an entirely different game in terms of setting. The in-references to various fantasy fiction and game tropes flow together quite easily and altogether create a very enjoyable experience that I would highly recommend even non-fans of the Borderlands games try for themselves.

I played through it solo and enjoyed it immensely. Very well done DLC all around, in my opinion.

I don't have extensive experience with DLC but a lot of what I have experienced has been fairly great. Namely story DLC like Burial at Sea and Left Behind. For my money though, Left Behind was the greater of the two and presented a great short story like experience that actually enhanced my experience with The Last of Us.

How has noboday said.... i mean not one of you.... ahhh!

I could go on and on and on about how much i loved it. The environments, the story and the characters. Its the only thing that would make me consider playing the original game with out mods (although i play with mods so i have no problem there).

spartandude:

I could go on and on and on about how much i loved it. The environments, the story and the characters. Its the only thing that would make me consider playing the original game with out mods (although i play with mods so i have no problem there).

Wasn't Shivering Isles an expansion pack? If not then the Shivering Isles is also my answer.

If not, though, I declare Call of Duty: Black Ops II's "Uprising" DLC pack to my favourite. Yes the DLC in these games are overpriced to fuck, but I'll analyse what was in them.

Multiplayer maps four:

Studio - A remake of Firing Range from Black Ops that's been updated visually to look like various Hollywood studio (geddit?) cliches. It looks purdy, has better spawns than most Black Ops II maps have and surprisingly the map design works well with Black Ops II's gameplay. Thumbs up all around, Treyarch.

Magma - OK I was irritated that the lava flow didn't make it into the final map, too. But on the other hand it's well balanced, has some interesting areas (such as a train window you can use to gain a flank over the other side of a lava pit) and encourages several different playstyles. Really I think the only gun style that kinda suffers here is the LMG class and thank fuck for that, LMGs are overpowered.

Encore - A relatively well made map with more interesting areas (the backstage bit being a favourite), let down somewhat by the lack of balance in some other areas and the irritating spawns, but I don't immediately vote for the other map when seeing it.

Vertigo - Easily one of my Black Ops II favourites. Cool little gimmick of the jumping through different levels without feeling like a rip-off of Kowloon from Black Ops 1. Good design that's well balanced. Beautiful looking (it very much makes me think of Spec Ops: The Line if the sand didn't ruin everything) and encouraging various play-styles, Vertigo is a map that needed more appreciation.

And then there is the Zombies map: Mob of the Dead. I know people like to get down on CoD generally, but Mob of the Dead actually has quite an interesting story and takes heavy inspiration from Silent Hill. Some of the music is reminiscent of that of Downpour's (especially the horror shower room), and the major easter egg takes influence from a certain object from Silent Hill 2 that guaranteed a certain ending in that game. It's nice looking, it's challenging and full to the brim with little extras like a haunted tomahawk you can upgrade if you perform certain tasks. There's also the Afterlife mode which is mostly used to solve little puzzles, but the ticking timer makes it both a unique take on Solo gameplay and adds a team work aspect to the map. It's a baffling well made map with a nice story to it, supported by characters voiced by people known for playing mobsters. It's easily the best Zombies has to offer, even above Origins and Shangri-La (oo controversial opinion on Shangri-La right there).

TES generally puts out good DLC. Oblivion abused the concept a bit, but the expansions have been mostly well received. Tribunal, Shivering Isles and Dragonborn were all stellar DLCs. A ton of content in each of them.

The Mass Effect franchise is a mixed bag as far as DLC goes, but it had a few gems. I particularly liked Bring Down the Sky, Lair of the Shadow Broker and The Citadel.

I actually enjoy DLC when it adds story to the game. If I enjoy a game and a little expansion pack is released for it, I'll pick it up. As such, I have quite a few that I enjoyed.

Skyrim's DLC. All of them. Yes, even building the houses and raising a family. I have no idea why.

Tiny Tina's DLC in Borderlands 2. I love that little girl.

Dragon Age II. Both of the DLCs were amazing. Pity the third one got scrapped, because it sounded like it could have been epic too.

Mass Effect 2 Shadow Broker and Mass Effect 3 Citadel. Both of those are shining examples of perfect DLC for me.

Now this one is weird. The Zombie maps in World at War, Black Ops, and the final one in Black Ops II. Yes, I bought the entire map packs just to play one map each time. The way that story was told was masterful, with nothing really being explained unless you looked for it. Plus it was funny. I'm hoping, with the little cliffhanger at the end of Origins, that Treyarch will continue in their next outing, but we'll see.

If I had to pick just one as my favorite, I think I'm going to jump on the train of The Citadel being the best DLC. For a long time, Lair of the Shadow Broker overshadowed all other DLC, but The Citadel is just such a massive ball of fun that it wins. In fact, I say that is how the series ends myself. The events of The Citadel take place after the end of the game in my mind.

My all time favorite DLC huh? An easy choice believe it or not.

I don't know what it was about Old World Blues for New Vegas; the FOR SCIENCE! Antagonists, the expanded stories for characters for my second place DLC Dead Money, the Megalomaniac Toaster, the weapons, it was all just so much fun. And the endings, if you take the good Karma paths at least, are just so up lifting and can't help but smile every time I see the slideshow.

Borderlands 2 - Assault on Dragon Keep

It was fun, funny and it serve as a nice epilogue to the main game especially it added character development to Tina, whose I loved (I prefer her over Claptrap)!

I opened this thread, to ask you one question, and one question only:

EXPLOSIONS??????

Because Torgue. I know he's probably a stereotype caricature without any personal depth, but I still like him, because of his terribly bad jokes and penchant for comedic violence.

Let me finish this post with some sick guitar solos

Assault on Dragon Keep was also nice though.

I'd say anything from Fallout or TES (excluding things like horse armor in Oblivion of course. Bethesda is one of the few developers that does dlc right, they're more akin to small expansions than DLC considering how much they add.

Ones like bethesda release.

Shivering isles(Can we consider expansion packs DLC?)
Knights of the Nine
The vampire one
Dragon priest one

All great and memorable (ironically since I can't remember the last two's name) but the stories were good.

I'm very happy to pay for DLC if it adds a lot to the game. A campaign, extra story. LORE WEAPONS with a story behind them AND camapaign/quest to get them (like the vampire bow that blots out the sun).

I am not okay with standard weapon packs, stat upgrades (p2w) and simple things like storage spaces being locked off unless you buy it.

Cosmetics I'm torn on.

I hate games that give you fuck all cosmetic options and then sell twenty billion.

I think if you're determined to sell cosmetic items in the store, you need to have a decent amount of free cosmetic items in the base game, but that's just me.

Also, in the wake of this EVOLVE thing, I'd like to make a point I haven't seen many make, maybe cause it's irrelevant but still. I think it should be noted 2K is notorious for their godawful microtransactions that are expensive as fuck, and for their terrible, TERRIBLE, customer service in regard to their basketball games.

So if they have had any say or influence over the DLC in evolve or the game in general (I'm not sure if they do or not, I'm not really interested in the game or following it much, just noticed the 2K logo on the last trailer I saw), I would be VERY sceptical considering the very p2win culture that is their basketball series.

It's either Kasumi's Stolen Memory or Lair of the Shadow Broker. Bioware knows how to do DLC well when they want to.

Probably Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare DLC or Battlefield Bad Company 2's Vietnam DLC. I like new content to change up the existing formula of the game. Undead Nightmare was a new campaign that was based around the zombie apocalypse of the wild west, and Vietnam changed Bad Company 2 from a modern military shooter into a Vietnam shooter; a sub-genre that we see very little of.

I tend not to bother with map packs, because all they do is split the community, and in my experience, most servers or matches end up being on the vanilla maps anyway. I got Battlefield 4 Premium for my birthday last year, and I have probably played the DLC maps collectively less than 100 times. Unless it adds something genuinely new, im not that bothered. A few more maps doesn't really cut it, especially if you are charging around £8-£10 for them. They should honestly be free updates like those in Bad Company 2 (Vietnam aside).

Johnny Novgorod:
Assassin's Creed II had "Bonfire of Vanities" and "The Battle of Forli". I liked them both, each added two self-contained, historically sensitive narratives that blend in seamlessly into AC2 while working on their own as well. I especially liked 'Bonfire' since it was all about stealth and assassinations (and Savonarola makes a great villain), as opposed to the action-oriented 'Forli'. I hear there's another DLC for exploring the Auditore family crypt, but that it boils down to a bit of tepid platforming.

The thing that irritated me about the AC2 DLC was how it took place in the middle of the game, and unless you had the DLC installed, the game goes "Uh oh, Sequences 12 and 13 are corrupted" and then there is a huge time jump and Ezio is injured for some reason and he suddenly has a beard. If you do have the DLC, then it fits seamlessly, but it just felt like they cut out a section of the story near the end to sell you later. (I know that is a common complaint about DLC, but most DLC is set after the events of the base game, so this just felt weird.)

Without a doubt my favourite DLC is Mass Effect 3: Citadel. It's just so much fun, and so many good character moments. And the variety - ALL THE VARIETY! Depending on who's alive or dead, who you bring with you, who you romanced, there's just so much difference in dialogue. It really is all the best things BioWare games offer with all the fat trimmed.

Sniper Team 4:
If I had to pick just one as my favorite, I think I'm going to jump on the train of The Citadel being the best DLC. For a long time, Lair of the Shadow Broker overshadowed all other DLC, but The Citadel is just such a massive ball of fun that it wins. In fact, I say that is how the series ends myself. The events of The Citadel take place after the end of the game in my mind.

Yeah, I too always play it as the end of the game. Shepard destroys the reapers and then everyone gets together for one final mission and one final party. Sure, there are some lines of dialogue that tlak about the ongoing war, but with a bit of head-canoning it works fairly well (I really need to check out that mod which alters the lines referring to the war).

Also, dat Jackmance content.

Any free DLC. Can't force myself to pay for it.

I'm a rare DLC buyer, but I picked up the XCOM expansion in a sale and think it was well worth the money (£7 I think). Outside of that I'm not sure I've ever gone for DLC.

The first thing that came to my mind was Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare DLC. I got so much fun out of that on the single- and multi-player fronts. Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC and Skyrim's DLC are also contenders. But I'm gonna go with my gut and give it to Undead Nightmare.

All the extra cases for L.A. Noire, and The Doctor Who Cloned Me for Duke Nukem Forever. L.A. Noire was fantastic and making it longer only made it better. Duke Nukem Forever was flawed but not even close to as bad as people made it out to be. The DLC also took the humor in the direction that was rumored in the late 90's. In other words it made fun of itself. Sadly you couldn't "accidentally" kill Duke's very annoying new partner. You did get to kill Dr. Proton though...for the fourth time.

Dead Money, hands down. I know a lot of people hate it for its obtuse level design and fucking radio bombs, but I adored it. It was just so depressing and yet fully in keeping with the theme of Fallout. Just a sad, sad story with a bad end for good people.

But getting in, that's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

I can't remember what it's called but Oblivion had one wherein you travel to the realm of Sheogoroth. It was my favorite up until I got the Far Cry collection; Far Cry 2, 3 and Blood Dragon. I haven't played too much Blood Dragon yet but it left one Hell of a great first impression, especially considering I haven't played much of the core game either.

Honorable mention for Broken Steel which lets you keep playing Fallout 3 after beating the final boss and making the final choice.

God putting this together has really made me realise I haven't bothered with that much DLC...

Resident Evil 5 - Lost in Nightmares- This ...was just rubbing salt in the wound. After so many of us felt betrayed by RE5 they go and prove to us that even without fixed camera angles, and limited ammo, this franchise could still work as a horror series with this DLC...god damn it Capcom.

Mass Effect 2 - Lair of The Shadow Broker - For me this is always the true ending to Mass Effect 2 with Arrival being the epilogue.

Mortal Kombat 2011 - Kenshi - He's my third favorite MK character, damn right I was happy to see him be in MK 2011

Fallout 3-I mean, Fallout New Vegas - Dead Money - This is just chilling. The atmosphere is so thick you could cut it with a knife and the holograms are incredibly unnerving.

Dishonored - The Knife of Dunwall & Brigmore Wtiches - So even though I didn't take much issue with Corvo being silent I really enjoyed playing as an actual character who was capable of talking. I actually liked Daud. Another thing these DLC's did that I enjoyed was expanding on the world of Dishonored and showing us just how strange and scary this place is. I loved them expanding on the supernatural elements. The witches were just creepy.. and...fucking zombie dogs *shudders*

I would put Blood Dragon at the very top but...that really doesn't count as DLC for me.

Never expressly bought DLC on purpose, my two favourites came bundled with the GOTY/Complete versions of the games I bought.

The Shivering Isles from TES: Oblivion. I see a few other people have mentioned it, and with good reason. Gorgeous environments, a fun sub-plot and neat characters would have made it a great break from the main plot...if I haven't completely abandoned the main questline and declared the game complete after my ascent to Daedric Princehood! In this case it substituted the end for me...I'm fine with living in my own pocket-dimension of madness and letting Cyrrodil get overrun. They were asking for it anyway.

The Artorias of the Abyss DLC from Dark Souls was amazing. It filled in a beautiful and tragic little backstory gap in the lore of the world and enfrced the overall themes of the game; decay, despair, but lingering hope. Some beautiful visuals, unique items and interesting characters round it out.

Dansen:
The Secret Armory of General Knoxx

Objectivly the best DLC that the Borderlands series has gotten.

Now, now...let's not get crazy here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Knoxx like everyone else, but you'd have a hard time "objectively" proving to me that it was better than Zombie Island which I enjoyed a lot more.

Johnny Novgorod:
"Moxxi's Underdome" not so much, it's basically a battle arena and an incredibly taxing one at that, too.

Lets be honest here, the only reason to get Underdome is so you could have access to a loot bank. :P

spartandude:

Glad I wasn't going to have to be the one to say this. :P

Since others have pointed out the good DLC that the ME series had (Shadow Broker, Citadel, etc), I'll go ahead an mention one that hasn't been brought up...

How about some love for all the free DLC that the ME3 multiplayer got? The multiplayer was surprisingly fun and addicting if you enjoyed ME3's combat, and the fact that there were boatloads of new characters (and arguably classes considering the skill-sets of some of the new characters) and maps ensured that you didn't get micro-transactioned to death (unless you're some poor soul who just had to buy those premium spectre packs with real money) with buying multiplayer updates. Lots of good and meaningful multiplayer DLC that's completely free? That's a price I can most happily afford. :3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked