Villains you feel sorry for

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I've always thought that the best enemy is the one you can sympathize with. The kind where you think "Wow, I'd have done exactly the same thing in his/her/its place." So, what villains do you feel sorry for?

For me, it has to be Alma from F.E.A.R.

Biff from back to the future, the 1950s Biff anyway, his life just seemed so pathetic.

...How could it get worse than that.
Anyway, I don't really feel bad for many villains, if only because their motives are often poorly explained.
Villain protagonists, however, are different.
Dexter is a guy I can agree with pretty much all of the time.

MaxTheReaper:
Anyway, I don't really feel bad for many villains, if only because their motives are often poorly explained.

I can understand not feeling bad for some villains, but not Alma? She really was a victim of the whole thing. Or what about Saren from Mass Effect? Sure, he's a bastard at the beginning, but you really have to feel sorry for him once you realize he's indoctrinated.

Bowser because he really does love Peach but he has bad people skills.

Yeah FEAR was epically messed up. Killing your own brother, watching your mother kill your aunt and grandfather.

Savvedro (No idea if that's spelled right) from Myst III: Exile. So sad, that guy's story. He just wanted to get home to his wife.

Saren, I kind of feel bad for, because he's being manipulated into thinking he's doing the right thing.

MaxTheReaper:

That's not a good sign. Period.

Francis Dolarhyde from Red Dragon, Roy Batty from Blade Runner, Silas from The Da Vinci Code, Magneto from Marvel Comics

Magneto. Come on, he only wants to rule the world! But, I honestly root for the villain most of the time. They are more complex characters then your grizzled hero-type.

Surprisingly enough I feel sorry for Dr Breen from HL2. He really isn't evil per se, he has just been persuaded by the powerful will of the combine to lead humanity down the wrong path. In the end I really think he thought he was doing the right thing by humanity, but he was just going about it the wrong way by joining forces with the combine

I can say the same for Yagami Light from death note. Well... not exactly the same... meh, you get the idea.

MaxTheReaper:

Inverse Skies:
Surprisingly enough I feel sorry for Dr Breen from HL2. He really isn't evil per se, he has just been persuaded by the powerful will of the combine to lead humanity down the wrong path. In the end I really think he thought he was doing the right thing by humanity, but he was just going about it the wrong way by joining forces with the combine

I was thinking about him too. Honestly, I don't think he made the wrong choice. He did save all of humanity in the Seven Hour War by surrendering, after all. The only thing is, with Gordon Freeman finally back, he's got a chance to save humanity for real, and he doesn't take it.

Yermenko:
Magneto. Come on, he only wants to rule the world! But, I honestly root for the villain most of the time. They are more complex characters then your grizzled hero-type.

He was in a Nazi Death Camp when he was eight. The only reason he does what he does is to make sure nothing like the Holocaust never happens to Mutants.

Wow i feel sorry for Alma now too :*(

orannis62:

Inverse Skies:

I was thinking about him too. Honestly, I don't think he made the wrong choice. He did save all of humanity in the Seven Hour War by surrendering, after all. The only thing is, with Gordon Freeman finally back, he's got a chance to save humanity for real, and he doesn't take it.

Yes, I can see exactly where you're coming from there. He did make the wrong choices, but his reasoning was sound.

Adam Jenson:

Yermenko:

He was in a Nazi Death Camp when he was eight. The only reason he does what he does is to make sure nothing like the Holocaust never happens to Mutants.

Too true and well put

Sylar from heroes, the poor guys life has sucked

Saren a little bit

people will hate this but i feel sorry for, or at least can empathize with, the Joker from The Dark Knight

one of my favorite villains is Hannibal Lector, not sure whether or not i feel sorry for him though, i'll have to think about it

also Johnny Ringo from Tombstone was a sad villain

orannis62:

MaxTheReaper:

I can understand not feeling bad for some villains, but not Alma? She really was a victim of the whole thing. Or what about Saren from Mass Effect? Sure, he's a bastard at the beginning, but you really have to feel sorry for him once you realize he's indoctrinated.

I've never played the former, but I do feel sorry for her, hence my "How could it get any worse."
I had forgotten about Saren, though. Poor dude.

Adam Jenson:

MaxTheReaper:

That's not a good sign. Period.

Francis Dolarhyde from Red Dragon, Roy Batty from Blade Runner, Silas from The Da Vinci Code, Magneto from Marvel Comics

Pfft...depends on your definition of good.

Ronwue:
I can say the same for Yagami Light from death note. Well... not exactly the same... meh, you get the idea.

MaxTheReaper:

Him too. And Lelouch, I think his name is?

Yeah, that is why he is an interesting character.

Delacroix(I think thats how you spell it) from chaos legion what happened really did suck and honestly I would probably do the same thing

Prince Albrecht from "Diablo."

He was just some kid who didn't have anything to do with the demonic conspiracies going at at first. Then, he done got kidnapped by Lazarus and taken down beneath the Tristram Monostary to get possessed by the demon Lord of Terror. So, I had to put him down.

Sure, his will had been completely consumed by the demon lord, and his body had been twisted into a horrific lizard-thing shape, but I still felt a bit of regret for killing him. When I killed his demon-body, he transformed back into his human self--and couldn't have been more than fourteen years old. Then, he gasped a bit and died.

Killing him was sort of an act of mercy, though, when you get right down to it. He'd been possessed, mutated, and his nightmares had been used as a model from which Diablo created his new Hell.

And then

As for what everyone else is saying: please remember that Saren was already a total dick before being Indoctrinated.

Saren because, ultimately, his heart was in the right place. He just went about it the wrong way and ended up being manipulated to the point where his original intentions had been blinded by the indoctrination and destruction at the hands of that indoctrination. And then he shoots himself in the head, which was quite poignant, in my opinion, because at that point, he refused to be used as a weapon anymore. He sacrificed himself, and that makes him a much better person in my books.

Baxter Stockman from the 2003 TMNT season.

Tom from Tom and Jerry.

RebelRising:
Saren because, ultimately, his heart was in the right place. He just went about it the wrong way and ended up being manipulated to the point where his original intentions had been blinded by the indoctrination and destruction at the hands of that indoctrination. And then he shoots himself in the head, which was quite poignant, in my opinion, because at that point, he refused to be used as a weapon anyomore. He sacrificed himself, and that makes him a much better person in my books.

Yeah. Just like that scene with Fai Dan on Feros, they both shoot themselves to keep themselves from trying to kill you. The scene with Fai Dan has to be my favorite in the game, too bad it's so hard to find on Youtube.

peachy_keen:
Bowser because he really does love Peach but he has bad people skills.

QFT

Seriously, even the Koopa King needs some lovin' every once in awhile.

Jon Irenicus.

"I... I do not remember your love, Ellesime. I have tried to. I have tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory. But it is gone... a hollow, dead thing. For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then nothing. The Seldarine took that from me, too. I look upon you and I feel nothing. I remember nothing but you turning your back on me, along with all the others. Once my thirst for power was everything. And now I hunger only for revenge. And... I... Will... HAVE IT!!"

I automatically sympathize with any antihero character. Raistlin from Dragonlance is the first one that jumps to mind.

I kinda feel sorry for the Riddler, a la Long Halloween, and Dark Victory, I mean he gets his ass handed to him in every panel hes in.

Minor concusion from Sofia Giante
Outline shot around soon afterwards
Batman Mauls his guards and agressively asks questions
After The Long Halloween, he gets the shit grappled out of him for answears
Gets glass shot at him
Gets his guards beat up and scratched a little bit by Catwoman.

It must suck being the Riddler, or the Scarecrow...all there lives are contisted of are getting the shit beaten out of them by various Superheroes.

Tobei from Togari is fun to sympathize with. Forced onto the streets as a child, he steals, hurts, and kills to stay alive, until he's sent to rot in Hell for 300 years.
He's one of the most badass characters ever, but he's got a soft side that, while rarely shows, does make him human and not some crazed lunatic.

Saren Arterius.

Kuja from final fantasy 9

Kadaj from FF VII Advent Children because at the end after Cloud makes Sephiroth all kinds of messed up and he turns back to Kadaj the way they made Kadaj look like a confused child plus the music i just felt bad for him

i dislike saren and i dislike how you deal with him.

to me he embodies self righteousness gone mad *cough*religion*cough*. whats his message? "BECOME SLAVES TO THE TRUE CREATORS OF THE END", he believed that to the point of killing a fellow spectre and dooming his race, yes he was mad but the maddening came because he was weak otherwise Shepard would have fallen to. in the end you ether kill him and/or his "born again" form.

also if he was strong enough to suicide he would have been strong enough to resist in the first place.

a prefered ending would have been: he puts the gun to his head but can't do it so shepard steps up and does it for him.

that said

@topic

The Joker

the world mistreated him, messed up his face and destroyed his life so he asked himself. "whats the point of it all". then the answer came: there is no point! of course its so simple its all one big joke! life has no meaning its just a joke! why can't anyone else see? why is everybody so serious?

he just wants to open peoples eyes to the truth, with a light nay a fire nay an inferno feuled by the ruins of this world! maybe then... maybe then they'll see what a joke this is.

joker = best villian ever.

P.S. I also strongly agree with the Comedian and Ozymandias from watchmen

I've always been a sucker for antagonists.

Off the top of my head: Magneto (were I to have a super power, that would be it), General Grievous (I mean come on, he was killed by a Jedi using a blaster! That's not fighting fair!), The Joker (obvious reasons), Saren (sad what became of him), Mewtwo (created to be the ultimate weapon, to be used as a tool, you can't really blame him for obliterating most everything he sees) and Andrew Ryan (I just... were that scene interactive, I'd never have finished the game, because I'd never have swung the club. That was the first time a game had genuinely made me feel 'used')

I'm sure as more people reply I'll be going "Ohhh yeeahh!, that guy too!!" because there really are a lot of great bad-guys.

The Sun brothers in "Jade Empire" spring to mind. Though their intent was later corrupted, originally they were challenging the Gods in order to bring the much needed rains to their kingdom. They were meddling in things they could never understand, but their original intent was noble.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here