[OT] Rare Replay (Xbox One)

So what's your deal? I've seen a bunch of just...advertising threads from you of late. Like just posting links to other site reviews, or like right now. Just a post about a game. Not an opinion or your own review. Just a blatant ad for the game.

Are you like a paid spokesman or something?

'cause normal thread users don't just post shit like this...

Anyone expecting to see a Donkey Kong game on a Xbox console was kidding themselves, honestly.

This looks like something I would be interested in playing since I missed a lot of these games growing up. Too bad I don't have a Xbox One or would be able to afford one any time soon. I'm a big fan of Battletoads and Banjo Kazooie.

Silentpony:
normal thread users don't just post shit like this...

In my view, that's a problem. I think Escapist needs to have a semi-organised system of discussion threads for games. Instead of someone creating a thread two weeks\several months after a game comes out praising or criticising it, I think there should be simple discussion threads for games, and probably movies. That way people can come to Escapist and talk about topical games. I think the OP for threads like this should be free of bias. NeoGAF uses this model, and despite my dislike for GAF's user base, I think it helps stimulate discussion by giving people something to talk about in a constructive manner that isn't slanted with praise or negativity.

So, for example, when Star Wars VII comes out, there should be a single thread dedicated to discussion. There should ideally be spoiler tags enforced for spoilers. Since Escapist has no organised system for "official threads", I've decided to make some.

Ayen Matthews:
Anyone expecting to see a Donkey Kong game on a Xbox console was kidding themselves, honestly.

Never forget. Donkey Kong on Microsoft's MSX home computer.

Ambient_Malice:
SNIP

Yeah but you need to be able to say more. You need something of substance, not just "this exists, pay attention to me!"
Lets be clear here: you're not the designated Escapist savior and just flooding the forums with threads saying things are things is a waste of time. You need something to add, something for the reader to read. Because guess what? We all already know Star Wars is coming out. We don't need you to remind us of that, not do we need your permission to discuss it.
If someone has a notable opinion on Star Wars, or indeed Rare Replay, they will let us know. Until then? Just saying its a thing and go nuts? Worthless.

Look, all you need to do is say "The new Conker isn't as fun as the old Conker" and we're good. Have AN opinion! Something! ANYTHING!

Ambient_Malice:

Ayen Matthews:

Never forget. Donkey Kong on Microsoft's MSX home computer.

I actually didn't know about that, but I'm pretty sure that was before the console wars got as competitive as they are now. Seeing one of the big Nintendo trademarks end up on a competitor's console seems unlikely these days, even when it's through a loophole like Rare being the one to make that individual game. I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong one day, though. It'd be kind of surreal to see if it did happen.

Like when I found out Mario was on Atari that one time.

There's not much on the xbox one that really makes me want to get one, but if I ever did, I would definately get this mainly because I've never played the Banjo Kazooie games due to never owning a N64. Maybe Scalebound will be good enough to convince me to get a Xbox one, and if that happens I'll pick Rare Replay up. Its just probably not good enough by itself to make me get an xbonx one. It does look really, really good though! Its one of the best compilation of games that I've seen just based on the menu's and all the features that it has.

Silentpony:

Ambient_Malice:
SNIP

Lets be clear here: you're not the designated Escapist savior and just flooding the forums with threads saying things are things is a waste of time.

I'm not convinced it is. It's akin to having a lounge room. An empty lounge room with no chairs. Now one can easily say, "Hey, anyone can make their own chair by chopping down a nearby tree and screwing the planks into a chair shape," but the reality is most people are going to look around and realise there's nowhere to sit, and leave.

Look, all you need to do is say "The new Conker isn't as fun as the old Conker" and we're good. Have AN opinion! Something! ANYTHING!

That's kind of a problem, in my view. The OP of a discussion thread should not have an opinion on the quality of the product. A thread about Daikatana should be OPed with the same impartiality as a thread about Fallout 4. The thread exists to give people a place to sit and discuss a game, metaphorically. The creator of the OP can have an opinion in subsequent posts, but "This game is better than that game" or "this game is the best game ever" or "this game sucks" sets the tone of the thread.

For example, now that I am no longer in the OP role, I can express my personal disappointment at the fact Rare & Microsoft have chosen not to release any of these Rare Replay games on PC. PC communities can burn long after their console counterparts have died out -- people still play Halo on PC, for example. People still play original Counter Strike. People still play System Shock 2. These games being on PC would give them a strong lick of immortality.

I know this is alien to Escapist forum culture. And it's really up to the mods and owners whether they want to tolerate it. But I think that having dedicated, impartially OPed threads for all notable game releases would help the Escapist forums be more active and constructive. I'm aware it skirts the grey line of advertising. But I think that this risk exists regardless of the tone of the OP and who creates it. I think having a single dedicated discussion thread for each major game release is very different to "fans" appearing magically to flood a forum with "spontaneous" stories about how much fun they're having so much "fun" with the latest game from MegaCorporation X, available only on the MegaCorp G-Fun Console.

Please add more to the OP of your threads to help foster discussion in future. Thanks!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked