The game with the most iconic look is...
Half Life 2
9.5% (20)
9.5% (20)
Doom 3
2.9% (6)
2.9% (6)
Team Fortress 2
26.2% (55)
26.2% (55)
Shadow of the Colossus
11.9% (25)
11.9% (25)
WoW
4.8% (10)
4.8% (10)
Elder Scrolls
7.1% (15)
7.1% (15)
Worms
5.2% (11)
5.2% (11)
Other
21.4% (45)
21.4% (45)
Bioshock
8.6% (18)
8.6% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Most Iconic Game Graphics

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

What game/game series out there has, for you, the most iconic graphics?

Is it Half Life 2's undeniable beauty? Is it doom 3's pixellated magnificence? Is it TF2s cell-shaded graphics? Shadow of the Colossus' vistas or WoW almost cartoony look? Morrowind's beautiful architecture and plant-life float your boat? Or do you like the 2d prowess of Worms? Or, like me, do you find the austere, Art Deco beauty of Bioshock a clear best?

Is there another one out there for you?

ps. I just put a few that came to my head up; I expect there to be many other ones.

pps. There's a tiny chance I made this thread a few months ago - but i searched 'iconic graphics' and got nothing so ha!

i love the look of lich king

Two-dimensional goodness of Street Fighter

There are a lot of games with very recognizablec graphics.

I can instantly recognize anything made by Valve, and WoW would be recognizable as well. SFIV has unique graphics, too, that I'm sure will become somehwat iconic later.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker comes to mind. It's not just that I found the art style and cell shaded graphics striking (and believe me, I did. I love the wispy, cartoony smoke the most), it's that I've never before seen a game with graphics that have to ability to absolutely polarize the game's fanbase. Because it opted for a lighthearted graphical approach, Zelda fandom is split into two camps when it comes to Wind Waker; the "Wind Waker is not a true Zelda game" side, and the "Wind Waker is the best Zelda game in years" side. Fascinating.

For sheer beauty, I have to give it to Dragon Quest VIII. For a PS2 game, it was absolutely stunning, the kind of game I could just look at and enjoy.

Avoiding "other", I'll go with TF2. All of the characters are original and memorable, though I think the levels and envoronment could use a little zazz.

The original doom games are something embedded in the minds of many many people. Not just for the gameplay but because it pulled off the looks of what it was about. The mars base looked convincing, the demons were imaginative, and hell looked hellish.

TF2 has a look all its own. The 50's propaganda art style was so perfectly executed it still amazes me. Although it was a tough choice between that and Shadow of the Colossus for obvious reasons and the 'other' bracket for games like Killer 7 and Silent Hill or even Guilty Gear.

I really have no idea why WoW is on there, it copied its style from Warcraft 3 and I have to say it only looks the way it does because of the graphical limitations they had when they made it.

When you hear about these games, graphics is seldom something that stands clearly above the other elements. Except you often hear jabs at Doom 3 because it's dark. And darkness is a product of the lighting system, which makes it a graphical product! So in that sense Doom 3 wins, specifically because of a shortcoming.

If we're talking memorable in a good way, probably the 2D Worms games. They're simple, clear, effective, and memorable, all without being gaudy.

Sorry, Team Fortress gets my vote.

WoW is... ugh. I know it was made to run on weak machines, but GEEZ. Guild Wars came the same year and was (and still is) much better.

The pong image raises an interesting issue...the separation of graphics versus aesthetics & design. Early on the developers did what they could with what was available, as the technical side of things grew, so too did the ways in which the designers could present their artistic visions within' the confines of the game.

That's why with modern games there really should be a distinction between graphical prowess, i.e. the pixels on the screen, HDR, bloom, anti aliasing, resolution etc. and the actual artistic design behind it all.

Graphical capabilities aren't worth squat if you haven't created something that people want to look at. But they can also aid the overall design of the game when used correctly.

As for me...I've always had a fondness for Sacrifice:

As you can see, the old Scapex engine is archaic by today's standards, however this to me at least matters little because of the top-notch artistic direction. The creature designs are wild and varied, and each of the worlds entertains it's own unique theme.

I don't know how you can get more iconic than 1-1 of Super Mario Bros.

i think the cryengine has quite a distinctive vegetation look.. or maybe its jsut me. i dunno

I went for other, and it's gotta be between Okami and Valkyria Chronicles.

Both games just look gorgeous, and they really nail the picture coming to life aspect

In terms of visual distinction, TF2 wins. If you look at what had been copied the most, WoW. Even the game that's built 100% on the premise being more original then wow uses exactly the same graphics.

The cell shading of Paper Mario has to get a special mention, especially when Mario goes into a pipe. If anyone here as seen that then they know how special and cool that animated sequence is. It's a distinct and clever graphic style which I quite enjoy.

Team fortress 2

It has a sandvich...nuf said

In the "Meet the's" in Team Fortress do they use the models they used to make the animations in game but just record them and export them as a movie or something?

Although I'm going with TF2 I believe that these should have a mention:

Prince of Persia, that cartoony zelda and assassins creed.

I went for shadow of the Collosus, first game I ever played that I fell in love with the artwork of the game as a whole.

For the love of god put Crysis on that poll!

Anyway...
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2
Aces of the Galaxy

Screw TF2, Killer 7 is where it's at.

Well, are we really talking iconic? Or do we simply mean "best?" I've seen plenty of games to come out that are definitely up there for several "Best Graphics" awards, but nothing really strikes me as being truly iconic of the genre quite like Super Mario Bros.

If you show a character from a new franchise to any of the millions not in the know to gaming, and you'll likely be met with strange glances, polite (or not so polite) attempts to escape, and restraining orders. Show them a sprite of a goomba, though...

On second thought, it would seem the question becomes "Iconic or Indicative?" And if I ponder too long on that question, I'll end up push myself those last few inches off the deep end.

Tehan:
In the "Meet the's" in Team Fortress do they use the models they used to make the animations in game but just record them and export them as a movie or something?

They use models with more polygons and more complex skeletons, than in the game, but they do record them in the Source engine. Same deal with the Left 4 Dead intro.

Also I'm surprised that no-one's made mention of the subtle brilliance of Pong.

Space Spoons:
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker comes to mind. It's not just that I found the art style and cell shaded graphics striking (and believe me, I did. I love the wispy, cartoony smoke the most), it's that I've never before seen a game with graphics that have to ability to absolutely polarize the game's fanbase. Because it opted for a lighthearted graphical approach, Zelda fandom is split into two camps when it comes to Wind Waker; the "Wind Waker is not a true Zelda game" side, and the "Wind Waker is the best Zelda game in years" side. Fascinating.

Wind Waker was by far my favorite Zelda game - in terms of graphics, engine polish, storyline and controls. Also it was great because it had the best 'special instrument' - not a mask, not an ocarina, but a conductor's baton that let you sail your ship (one of the coolest features of any game i can think of) all over the world.

I was gonna say Wind Waker had the most iconic graphics but I just didn't think enough people knew of it.

I think of iconic as something that represents, in this case, videogames.
Show anyone an alien from space invaders (this guy), and they think of games. Whole conventions, gaming sites, and some universities use that one alien to represent something related to gaming.
That's pretty much my definition of iconic.

Danzorz:
For the love of god put Crysis on that poll!

To be honest i thought of crysis - and decided it wasn't iconic so much as perfect - the best things are always a bit imperfect (see doom 3)

These three definitely get my vote.

Samurai Goomba:

Metal Slug ... hell yes. I once went to a resort in florence italy where they had a metal slug machine ... which was broken and could be played non-stop.

Xan Krieger:
The original doom games are something embedded in the minds of many many people. Not just for the gameplay but because it pulled off the looks of what it was about. The mars base looked convincing, the demons were imaginative, and hell looked hellish.

Indeed, infact I was looking for that in the list. To many modern games up there. Where the hell is SF2, FFVII, Mario World or Tetris. Most of the games listed are not old enough to be thought of as iconic, in my humble opinion.

Where is mah Doom?! The sight of a Pinky demon up in yo grill gnawing at your Doomguy flesh was awesome.

AngelSword:
Well, are we really talking iconic? Or do we simply mean "best?" I've seen plenty of games to come out that are definitely up there for several "Best Graphics" awards, but nothing really strikes me as being truly iconic of the genre quite like Super Mario Bros.

If you show a character from a new franchise to any of the millions not in the know to gaming, and you'll likely be met with strange glances, polite (or not so polite) attempts to escape, and restraining orders. Show them a sprite of a goomba, though...

On second thought, it would seem the question becomes "Iconic or Indicative?" And if I ponder too long on that question, I'll end up push myself those last few inches off the deep end.

To clarify (and i will copy paste this to the OP after i'm done with you):

By iconic I mean a set of graphics that anyone can recognize and attach to a certain game. Examples of games that wouldn't particularly work: ikargua, Killer 7,

Danzorz:
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 ... [or] ... Aces of the Galaxy,

these games are too obscure to be considered iconic.

Before anyone says 'who are you to judge what's obscure or not?' I will say: don't waste your finger strength typing about it, because obviously i've already told myself that particular argument, and it's not news to me... I'm using my judgement to select the games i deem 'obscure' and that's that.

Uh, no wind waker...?
Surely if anyone sees wind waker's graphics they'd remember them...

urprobablyright:
What game/game series out there has, for you, the most iconic graphics?

Is it Half Life 2's undeniable beauty? Is it doom 3's pixellated magnificence? Is it TF2s cell-shaded graphics? Shadow of the Colossus' vistas or WoW almost cartoony look? Morrowind's beautiful architecture and plant-life float your boat? Or do you like the 2d prowess of Worms? Or, like me, do you find the austere, Art Deco beauty of Bioshock a clear best?

Is there another one out there for you?

ps. I just put a few that came to my head up; I expect there to be many other ones.

pps. There's a tiny chance I made this thread a few months ago - but i searched 'iconic graphics' and got nothing so ha!

Super Mario Bros !!!

oh and

MGS2

I would have to say that most iconic overall is the eight-bit goodness found in Mario.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked