What is Gaming to you?
Gaming is a passtime, something I do when I am bored.
25.4% (33)
25.4% (33)
Gaming is an art form, one to be concidered criticlly.
11.5% (15)
11.5% (15)
Gaming is lifestyle, something I hold dear in every part of my life.
27.7% (36)
27.7% (36)
Gaming is an addiction, something that I am drawn to do.
9.2% (12)
9.2% (12)
Gaming is a social effort, something I enjoy with friends.
8.5% (11)
8.5% (11)
Gaming is lame, I only post here because I was banned from the rest of the forums I troll.
3.1% (4)
3.1% (4)
Other (Describe in your post.)
9.2% (12)
9.2% (12)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What is gaming to you?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's a question I often roll over in my head, what gaming means to other people. I personally was brought up in an environment rich in gaming, and thus grew up with a natural love for the hobby. Over time I decided that gaming would be something I did for a living, and slowly it became a lifestyle for me. I enjoy it as something more than a hobby, but something that touches on most aspects of my life. I study gaming, I write about it, of course I play a whole lot of games, and I plan to have a career in it when I am finished in university.

Now I put this question to you, what is gaming to you all?

I guess 'passtime' is the closest option for me as I enjoy it and don't game excessively but really, I don't see it as any of them. I game for fun with my friends but, bah, its sort of hard to explain as I also don't really regard it as a social experience. I guess that is the closest though. *changes mind*

It is art. If you Don't believe me than either play Braid or Rez.

All but the last two.

I enjoy different games for different reasons but I selected the troll option.

I'm a complete hypocrite really because I bang on about aesthetics that no one cares about when I'd much rather be playing the Battle For Hu Lao Gate in Dynasty Warriors 2. So yes, there should be a category for "pretends to believe in gaming as an art form". I buy Edge but strictly for the coffee table.

I voted "other" by the way.

i been in love with games, specialy FPS;s since i saw tetris on my dad's ms-dos computer when i was less than 5.

I kinda wish this wasn't a poll, as gaming means vastly different things to people.
Gaming is an art, a way of escape, a story, entertainment, and an all around great idea.
I wouldn't be who I am today without gaming.

*edit* Didn't notice the "Other" option. Sorry! ^^;

I selected the troll option, for the lulz. Gaming is something I do when there is nothing better around to entertain myself with.

It's a hobby, but it's my main one. To say it's something I do when I'm bored would be wrong, since I game most of the time, then do other things when I'm bored of gaming.

Interactive entertainment experiance.

i game for the thrillseek of an adventurous lifestyle game wethter its the great storyling of HALO and its sequals or jus the ancient game of GALAGA and its double team-up advatage.

GAMING i got it online
EXPERIANCE
DISORDER

These aren't really mutually exclusive. To me, gaming is a pastime that I like to do when I'm bored, it's an art form that is in desperate need of critical scrutiny, it often is social, and the majority of games are pretty terrible.

I think of gaming as a hobby, something you dedicate yourself to for fun and accomplishment.

gaming used to be a very important part of my life, but recently i have become jaded, and i don't have "fun" playing.
it used to be a source of fun, entertainment, and sometimes the occasional rage dump.
hopefully, i can rekindle my love for them sometime.

Multiple things in the pole

Gaming is a bit of everything .past time, social past time and artform in a sense. The addictive quality comes from your drive to accomplish and be entertained at the same time.

I think th idea of "Video Games as Art" is kinda weird.

Mostly because I don't know what art is.

Sewblon:

To say gaming is an art is like saying watching a movie is art. The MOVIE or the GAME might be art, but, in my opinion, participation in an artistic experience does not make you an artist.

Eclectic Dreck:

Sewblon:

To say gaming is an art is like saying watching a movie is art. The MOVIE or the GAME might be art, but, in my opinion, participation in an artistic experience does not make you an artist.

Oh thanks for clarifying.

Gaming is long dead to me. I still like to talk about games with friends, but I just only stick with TF 2, everything else is collecting dust.

gaming is so many things some good some bad ,wasting money on crappy games is the bad (I'M LOOK' AT YOU EA) the good it keeps the depression at bay keeps my dexterity finely tuned and get to have fun doing things that would get me life in prison or dead it i did it for real,

It's a mix of lifestyle, time-killer and art form, with a dash of addiction thrown in, but it's definitely an art form more than anything. I dedicate as much time to reading about games as playing them.

I actually chose "other" because gaming - to me - is a little of choice A, choice C and choice E.

I play when I'm bored, it's a part of my lifestyle (and my wife's lifestyle), and we do it with friends whenever we can (like play Rock Band 2 over Live) because most of our friends live elsewhere.

I wouldn't have it any other way, really.

gaming is both an art form and a lifestyle - like books, movies, and countless other forms of media, it helps give my life context and informs and influences my values and perceptions. gaming is perhaps the very best way to provide the subject with a real, totally immersive experience that would otherwise be impractical or utterly impossible.

A hobby. Like reading books and listening to music.

For a borderline autistic antisocial type like myself, singleplayer gaming is a lifestyle. I like getting into the works of a game and dissecting it, then reconstructing that knowledge into means of pwnage.

Eldritch Warlord:
I think of gaming as a hobby, something you dedicate yourself to for fun and accomplishment.

This.

I revel in being a gamer, but I wouldn't consider it art yet. I play video games when I've got nothing better to do, but only because I'm not at my computer when I do. It's more than a pastime and less than an artform, I have fun socially but mostly on my own. The closest option for me is addiction.

Gaming is part addiction, part social experience.

EDIT: Though I enjoy single player more than multiplayer, I also enjoy MMOs.
So.

Gaming has very much shaped who I am and the way I live my life.

With that in mind I went for gaming is a lifestyle.

Gaming has both ruined my life, but also made it worth living. Sure my education may be going down the crapper, but I think I can pull through. I always do.

For me it's pretty much a way to blow off steam and to relax.

Gaming is a hobby for me but also a social effort as i play online with friends that i hardly see since i left school

Well, I do game a lot, enjoy gaming a lot, and think about games a lot when I'm not gaming... so it's definitely more than a pastime for me. It's not an addiction (I recently went for almost two months without my Xbox 360 and it made me mildly annoyed at most), so I'll vote for lifestyle.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked