Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 23 NEXT

PurplePonyArcade:
https://www.generosity.com/explore?filter_title=evo#/search

So this year SRK are enabling donations for a ninth game again. This time it is for Make-A-Wish international and I support that.
I ask everyone viewing to consider donating to one of the following games. I'd prefer Skullgirls but I doubt that will happen. Still donating either way because all the money gets donated either way.

you know it'll be umvc3 or poken from how things are looking. If it were up to me it'll be Nitroplus or Arcana, but I know that's not happening. Unless someone decides to donate 20,000

Based on the games available, the 2 ones I care for already made it in so yeah, I don't have any interest weather any of the games being voted on make it in. I do prefer pokken to the rest but not enough to pay for it. If they have arcana heart 4 next year though, I'll definitely pitch in for that.

SE is making a fighting game...and it looks pretty damn cool somehow! XD

Here's images from the famitsu article:
http://imgur.com/a/nIb0c#j4xxCiX

This reminds me the most of Nitro+, classic airdasher style with slowly charging assists, rolls, flashy supers etc.

Dreiko:
SE is making a fighting game...and it looks pretty damn cool somehow! XD

Here's images from the famitsu article:
http://imgur.com/a/nIb0c#j4xxCiX

This reminds me the most of Nitro+, classic airdasher style with slowly charging assists, rolls, flashy supers etc.

Im betting it will be arcade only for a long time.

Well, it was only just announced and won't even be out on arcades for like half a year or so, we'll have to see I guess. More important than those logistics though is the content!

I'm loving the look of that wolf ninja girl and the blue haired samurai was also pretty cool. :D

"Capcom is teaming up with Lupe Fiasco to" yeah I'm going to stop you there mate. I'd sit through a lot of shit with Street Fighter V and it is still better than most fighting games attempting a sort of mainstream status but fuck you I am done. I can't take it anymore. A good game is a good game but goddamn do companies keep ruining what otherwise could have been enjoyable experiences.

Why the hell does SRK keep shilling for Core-A gaming when they clearly have no respect for the community?

there's always some politics involved when money is. core A seems pretty interesting as far as video content goes, even though they have zero airdashing content, and mainly just focus on SF stuff. Some video titles are kind of controversial since it barely even attempts to answer the title, and end up bringing up other points. I remember watching why fighting games are hard video, and it ended up going off topic on why people dont enjoy it, despite the topic being interesting, i think it should be titled something like why fighting games are niche. I often end up thinking they should play something like AH3LM or BBCF if they want to see higher execution.

I dont visit SRK, but it's possible that it's either business related or they are friends.

I haven't visited SRK in years now, I don't really care what they do or say lol. It's likely just that by trying to make money they long abandoned quality concerns with fighters. Their continued support of games such as the SF or MK series at least shows as much.

Best not to visit SRK if you are not heavily into Capcom stuff as its all about the hits to hell with quality and EHubs is even worse in this regards somehow. I believe a new site that provided a proper hub to news and info on all fighters in an unbiased fashion could do quite well.

Always makes me laugh on EHubs when they keep trying smash articles and get no replies on it. Any other game this would have given them cause to drop it for a re post of a CFN profile months ago but they desperately want that smash traffic now its doing so well lol.

Maximum Bert:
Best not to visit SRK if you are not heavily into Capcom stuff as its all about the hits to hell with quality and EHubs is even worse in this regards somehow. I believe a new site that provided a proper hub to news and info on all fighters in an unbiased fashion could do quite well.

Always makes me laugh on EHubs when they keep trying smash articles and get no replies on it. Any other game this would have given them cause to drop it for a re post of a CFN profile months ago but they desperately want that smash traffic now its doing so well lol.

Capcom-guided yes but still good for fighting game news in general. At least it is not as biased as Fighter's Generation which I do not recommend to anyone.

Maximum Bert:

The sad thing when talking about EventScrubs is that while bias is annoying SRK has somewhat of a reason to be biased for Capcom stuff AND YET Ehubs is somehow even worse with its Capcom bias and that just makes it the sadder of the two.

i saw fighters generation as a totally different kind of site, where it's fun to just see character profiles and look at animations. It's just for fanservice and not a site I would go to for community or guides. It's not really comparable to sites like SRK(capcom) Dustloop(arcsys and most airdashers). I know they got reviews, which are all the creators opinions which is fine.
If I made a site like that. most people would probably say I'm biased towards air dashers.

side note, I'm wondering if most of you guys think fighting games might take more overall skill than other competitive game genres in general. other than endurance. most fps/racing games are easy to adapt from game to game, without needing to learn normals, specials, combos, game mechanics, etc. RTS people often brag about apm, but if you compare actions per seconds, fighting games are actually off the chart on some occasions, with some weird combos(particularly some ah3lm efc combos). it's just not a constant button pushing, and some things require slowing down to get timing right.

Yeah obviously fighters take a lot more skill than other competitive games, this is why not many people play them, they have too much trouble getting to that level. Also the main difference is that the game shows you how much skill you lack constantly since you have no teammates to blame your losses on and you can see your foes doing things that you should also be able to do so your inability to do them drives the point of you sucking home all that much harder.

i think i just play a lot of games that take weird skill and dont mind failing in order to learn.
I played things like touhou, project diva, ninja gaiden, bayonetta, mitsurugi Kamui hikae, etc for single player. all which are difficult, so I am not one who minds a challenge in general.
fighting games are the only competitive games where you spend hours in training mode to get decent, against non ai(because ai is always useless). In a racing game you can practice against ai, or just do time attacks. The only thing that lacks for fighting games is probably endurance since a typical match is 2-3 minutes.
racing games are admittedly harder to win, because as opposed to trying to beat one really good player, you are playing against 20+

K-sha:
i saw fighters generation as a totally different kind of site, where it's fun to just see character profiles and look at animations. It's just for fanservice and not a site I would go to for community or guides. It's not really comparable to sites like SRK(capcom) Dustloop(arcsys and most airdashers). I know they got reviews, which are all the creators opinions which is fine.
If I made a site like that. most people would probably say I'm biased towards air dashers.

side note, I'm wondering if most of you guys think fighting games might take more overall skill than other competitive game genres in general. other than endurance. most fps/racing games are easy to adapt from game to game, without needing to learn normals, specials, combos, game mechanics, etc. RTS people often brag about apm, but if you compare actions per seconds, fighting games are actually off the chart on some occasions, with some weird combos(particularly some ah3lm efc combos). it's just not a constant button pushing, and some things require slowing down to get timing right.

Yes and no. My MOBA experience is limited but I can say even with MOBA being the dominant competitive drama it requires more thinking and planning than any actual execution. Im given the impression that you can hold a reputation on the MOBA scene having piss poor execution and muscle memory as long as you have godly thinking ability and you are a team player. Same with Pokemon. As I long time fan of both Pokemon and fighting games I cannot tell you which has the higher thinking to it(pokemon is a mix of thinking and luck) but thats on thinking level anyway. Pokemon is a turn based game therefore it has no execution barrier at all. Fighting games do not often use team work but do have high execution that most genres cannot compare to. Funnily enough though while competitive FPS games do require and outrageous amount of muscle memory I still believe they take far less than the average fighting game, but I as a person have a bigger problem getting into anything as it relates to competitive FPS than I do fighting games.

The one genre I do feel is more execution heavy is rhythm games. Maybe some of you in the west do not understand that because we killed our rhythm genre years ago so all you see are a tiny few usually easy games. However if you look to the east you see some of the most ridiculous games made based on the rhythm genre and I really believe that rhythm games are on average harder than fighting games in the east.

K-sha:
i think i just play a lot of games that take weird skill and dont mind failing in order to learn.
I played things like touhou, project diva, ninja gaiden, bayonetta, mitsurugi Kamui hikae, etc for single player. all which are difficult, so I am not one who minds a challenge in general.
fighting games are the only competitive games where you spend hours in training mode to get decent, against non ai(because ai is always useless). In a racing game you can practice against ai, or just do time attacks. The only thing that lacks for fighting games is probably endurance since a typical match is 2-3 minutes.
racing games are admittedly harder to win, because as opposed to trying to beat one really good player, you are playing against 20+

Hack and slash games do not really take the level of skill fighting games do because the combos act differently and usually in a way to make them easier on average. I cannot talk of Touhou but bullet hell games are harder for me often than fighting games. Not always, just often.
Despite being a total amateur at them I did describe obtaining a zen like state playing one that is apparently common to the people actually good at this and it is why they enjoy the games. One reason it seems to be good to compare fighting games and bullet hell games is the level of understanding the game more and more through the repetition of playing it and enjoying that despite the linearity.

moba seems more like pure chess to me. it definetly needs to

only a few hack/slash games are hard, and are more like rhythm/bullet hell games than fighters to me. it's mainly playing and learning patterns since they are primarily single players. you could do some pretty interesting free form combos. Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae has 1 frame just guard/counters that require some extreme skill, and is obviously an idea they got from fighting games.the main similarity is that you often fail many times in harder ones, feel like you accomplish something and jump when you finally win. get moments where you dont know if you'll pass, but end up doing it. fighting games are somewhat less repetitive, since playing different players, means different patterns, or randomness.

racing games are the most similar to fighters in training mode concept, and something i can relate to since i was actually part of a sim drift team for a short while. you can do time attacks or practice drifting or play against ai(actually get decent practice there) and see improvements.

just got off introducing a forgotten fighting game, DOA5LR to a friend, and forgot how much fun it was. which I think is probably the most under rated 3d fighter. He concluded it was definetly fun, and different from airdashers we usually play. I think everyone should at least try it, since theres free to play version. which might also be the reason why there's still beginners we ran into

even though most execution skill/game play are completely different, 2d skills actually helped for tag combos, since it's the same idea of pushing 3 buttons to tag, like doing rapid/roman/burst/efc cancels.

DoA has always been a good series, but people just saw the boobs/swimsuits and were all "That has no merit because of how sexy it is" completely ignoring the likes of Cammy, Chun-Li, R.Mika, I-No, Mai Shiranui etc. in games like SF, Guilty Gear, KoF etc.

DOA5 is where they finally got the series right imo thats not to say I did not enjoy the others DOA2 single player and DOA3 multi are also very good but DOA5 felt like they finally nailed it.

Its one of the few older games I still go back to semi regularly and tbh I would do a lot more if the online was better and even after all these years its still one of the best looking fighters out there. Its a much much better game than DOA4 which quite frankly is pretty poor.

Its also along with SC one of the very few fighters my friends will play with me on occasion probably because its got a free version, is nice to look at and is fun to just mash buttons in even if they very rarely win. Nice they release new characters for it as well after a long period of time. Now if they were releasing new characters a few months after its initial release I would be pissed. The costume DLC is a bit ridiculous but there is already a load on the disc and its purely cosmetic so I dont mind to much especially after all this time (bit annoying at first though I must admit).

Just read an article on Fabula Nova Crystallis where they mention a console version of Dissida. Not really any details yet though except that it will have a story mode even though the main focus will be on battle still (obv). Apparently they are not revealing anything until they have more to show. Also sounds like the Arcade version will continue being altered and updated side by side the console version unless I am reading it wrong. Now just waiting for the Tifa reveal and I may very well be properly hype or at least will be a good test to see if I still remember the feeling.

There's this notion in the west that if a game has fanservice it has no other good trait to it outside of that fanservice so a lot of good games get overlooked because of containing fanservice. It's this notion that treats sexual-type-entertainment as distinctly different from typical "fun" so when a game contains it, by definition it contains nothing else because for a certain maligned demographic it doesn't need anything else, supposedly.

Fighting against these ideas is up to the fans of the series, fans of games like GG fully embrace stuff like Jam having visible panties that change with each day based on the system's inner calendar and do not shy away from it, continuing to earnestly and seriously support the game's depth into great glory. :D

fanservice applies to pretty much every fighting game, unless you only have stick figures. you can say marvel is fan service just by the fact that there are marvel characters.
it seems like most doa hate comes from tekken fanboys, which is a shame. since you can tell most have never tried it, even though it's free to play, or maybe try it but just fan boy it.

it's like sf fans who don't play air dashers and only see the combos. think thats all there is.

I've never played any of the DOA games, what kind of fighters are they? 3D, 2D, air dasher, more sluggish, how does it handle? I'd be interested to check it out, I actually just picked up SFV for $20 on the humble bundle, which I haven't had the chance to play yet, but in between trying to nail out Mu - No. 12 combos I'd like to check out a few other games as well.

I'll be honest, I wrote them off initially as just being fan service games, but this was before even actually trying to get into fighting games, so I didn't have the best impressions, but if they're well designed and fun I'd be willing to check them out.

its free to play so try it. core fighters gives you about 3 characters you can play, and 2 fighters of the week. with the rest being paid content, and you can get full version or buy characters if you like it.

it doesn't really play like anything else, except maybe VF, which I tried a long time ago but didnt really like(might change if i actually learned to play but pbly won't). it's 3D, with basically 4 or 3 buttons and certain attacks that are by pushing 2 random buttons. 1 button for punch, kick, free(block counter), and throw(punch+free if you want to play with 3 buttons).
theres no ring outs like some other fighters, and instead have stages where you can throw opponent off ledges, buildings, walls, etc and continue fight. the counter button lets you counter many moves, though i find it hard to do, since you have to recognize reads, and tap a direction+free real quick. it was way easier to just recognize combo strings, block everything, then punish during recovery animations for me. you could combo out of most combos, unless you throw optimal ones where you launch.

it seems more like a game where making reads, spacing, adapting to playstyles, etc is more important than memorizing character movelists, combos, etc. unless maybe at high level, which I cant speak for. but it's a lot faster and flashier than most 3d fighters that use more realistic martial arts approach. its good to play every now and then to take a break from 2d fighters, or if you want to really get into it, theres a lot of depth.

So i tried play SFV online recently, and I was pretty bad. Like I haven't played SF since the second to last interation of SFIV, and I'm far more used to DoA than SF, so my muscle memory screws me hardcore a lot (forgetting there are no counters and my triggers don't do the same thing as in DoA, wasting my EX Gauge). And I got to thinking, what must it be like for veteran/skilled players to watch new players/unskilled players like me play in matches, especially vs. each other?

I imagine it must be painful and so cringe-inducing to watch and you just want to reach through the screen and play yourself.

Paragon Fury:
So i tried play SFV online recently, and I was pretty bad. Like I haven't played SF since the second to last interation of SFIV, and I'm far more used to DoA than SF, so my muscle memory screws me hardcore a lot (forgetting there are no counters and my triggers don't do the same thing as in DoA, wasting my EX Gauge). And I got to thinking, what must it be like for veteran/skilled players to watch new players/unskilled players like me play in matches, especially vs. each other?

I imagine it must be painful and so cringe-inducing to watch and you just want to reach through the screen and play yourself.

Consider this. Imagine a fighting game you are good at, "good" being very subjective to some so let us just say the game you are best at. Then compare it to memories of how you were first playing it. Or if you record you stuff watch it. That is cringe. In a good way though because it shows you how far you have come but I am curious if that meets something similar to what you said?

i'm sure even the best cringe when they see themselves drop combos, mis executions, etc(we all do it). we always learn new tricks/combos, etc when we play.

I find it no problem switching from doa to 2d games and back. they are just played that different that habits dont affect anything.
different 2d games, i often need 2 or 3 games to change bad habits, if i play nitroplus a lot, I often push D while blocking instead of AB in blazblue, and sometimes forget theres no E button that other airdashers I play have. if I play arcana lots, I try to home into people. guilty gear is just weird how theres a K&P button that always confuses me. sometimes in arcana I push c+E to try to throw(no idea why because it's AB in Blazblue and nitroplus).

traditional style 2d games are just so odd now that I always forget i can't airdash, throw ABC combos, etc.

PurplePonyArcade:

Paragon Fury:

Consider this. Imagine a fighting game you are good at, "good" being very subjective to some so let us just say the game you are best at. Then compare it to memories of how you were first playing it. Or if you record you stuff watch it. That is cringe. In a good way though because it shows you how far you have come but I am curious if that meets something similar to what you said?

Well, I'm pretty bad at SFV, as this can attest to;

(I'm Juri, BTW, if you can't see the "You" and my name in the video for some reason).

https://www.generosity.com/explore?filter_title=evo#/search

Last day to donate to Generosity and vote for one of the following games to be in Evo via donations to Make-A-Wish international.

Paragon Fury:

I tend to like helping new players so it feels me with nostalgia more than anything, it reminds me of how I used to not know these things too.

If you have people cringing or being negative then they too are not that far along the skill tree either. Once you go to enough tourneys and win you kinda stop feeling the need to show off and instead try to help the scene around you improve, looking new players as diamonds in the rough and not as tools through which to glorify yourself and stroke your ego.

That being said, I mainly play airdashers, no clue how the community of SF is but because it is more mainstream I expect most people playing the game will not be anywhere near that skill level so you will run into more of the types looking to make themselves seem good and not as many of the helpful "actual" veteran types.

thats super humble. I agree sometimes ego strokes are fun, but only when scrubs all of a sudden trash talk after losing lots. who I usually don't bother playing anymore

most of the time I dont mind helping anyone who wants help improving. Makes things more fun once they get better, and help you get better as well.

Apparently SNK is doing VR stuff? Not that I care. Either way its strange.

SNK also are doing an MMO KoF game so I guess they're throwing all the darts at the target and hope something hits lol.

didnt snk try something like this but fail. i dont remember the details

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or