Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 23 NEXT

Paragon Fury:
So I just got Blazblue: Continuum Extend for Xbox One, since I don't own a PS4 or a Switch and therefore can't play Central Fiction and I have no idea WTF I'm doing.

I would strongly recommend not playing anything other than CF since you will just have to unlearn half of what you learn here if you wish to get anywhere near competent at it.

I think some of them are out on pc too, not sure which ones, but in arcsys games you only ever wanna play the latest one since the older ones are obsolete. If you just wanna mess around and don't care about competing or playing against people who know how to play however, you should play the tutorial mode (fully) and then pick a single character and go and play their challenge modes after you have finished the tutorial. Once you are done with the challenges...well...you will want to buy CF and find other people and fight since fighting the AI in fighting games teaches you bad habits that don't work on humans foes. This is so because the AI reads your inputs and reacts at superhuman speeds while fighting games are designed to be played through predicting actions and countering them beforehand and not through superhuman instant reactions so when you fight the AI the way you think about the fight itself, as well as everything you do, is all wrong.

Dreiko:

Paragon Fury:
So I just got Blazblue: Continuum Extend for Xbox One, since I don't own a PS4 or a Switch and therefore can't play Central Fiction and I have no idea WTF I'm doing.

I would strongly recommend not playing anything other than CF since you will just have to unlearn half of what you learn here if you wish to get anywhere near competent at it.

I think some of them are out on pc too, not sure which ones, but in arcsys games you only ever wanna play the latest one since the older ones are obsolete. If you just wanna mess around and don't care about competing or playing against people who know how to play however, you should play the tutorial mode (fully) and then pick a single character and go and play their challenge modes after you have finished the tutorial. Once you are done with the challenges...well...you will want to buy CF and find other people and fight since fighting the AI in fighting games teaches you bad habits that don't work on humans foes. This is so because the AI reads your inputs and reacts at superhuman speeds while fighting games are designed to be played through predicting actions and countering them beforehand and not through superhuman instant reactions so when you fight the AI the way you think about the fight itself, as well as everything you do, is all wrong.

Central Fiction isn't out on anything other than PS4 and the Switch (next month), so as far as Xbox One and PC are concerned CE is the newest version.

Paragon Fury:

Dreiko:

Paragon Fury:

Central Fiction isn't out on anything other than PS4 and the Switch (next month), so as far as Xbox One and PC are concerned CE is the newest version.

I'm actually playing it on my ps3, so there's that too. PS3 and PS4 have crossplay too, so you get both communities together.

Dreiko:

Paragon Fury:

Dreiko:

I'm actually playing it on my ps3, so there's that too. PS3 and PS4 have crossplay too, so you get both communities together.

Don't have any PS systems, unfortunately.

So having played BB:CP...I'm not entirely sure I'm digging the style of BB games now. A lot of visual noise, and flow seems very...weird. Also, looking through the controls - where is my basic grab and my command grabs, to get people when they turtle and block spam? (Maybe that is the point in BB and I'm just too used to punishing consecutive blocks with grabs in games like SF and DoA).

Paragon Fury:
So having played BB:CP...I'm not entirely sure I'm digging the style of BB games now. A lot of visual noise, and flow seems very...weird. Also, looking through the controls - where is my basic grab and my command grabs, to get people when they turtle and block spam? (Maybe that is the point in BB and I'm just too used to punishing consecutive blocks with grabs in games like SF and DoA).

Each to their own on the style personally I like how BB, SFV and DOA5 all look each one has their own thing going on but people each have their own tastes.

For BB I believe throw is B+C its a two button combination anyway if I remember properly while in GG its the old SF2 way or forward + heavy attack (slash I think but could be wrong).

Command throws if the character has them will be in their command list Tager has them for sure so check his. I am sure Dreiko will give you a more indepth answer hes much more knowledgeable than me on this especially with BB.

Also block spam lol.

I am pretty sure CF has a tutorial that will run you through the basics pretty quick including teaching you how to throw.

Maximum Bert:

Paragon Fury:

Each to their own on the style personally I like how BB, SFV and DOA5 all look each one has their own thing going on but people each have their own tastes.

For BB I believe throw is B+C its a two button combination anyway if I remember properly while in GG its the old SF2 way or forward + heavy attack (slash I think but could be wrong).

Command throws if the character has them will be in their command list Tager has them for sure so check his. I am sure Dreiko will give you a more indepth answer hes much more knowledgeable than me on this especially with BB.

Also block spam lol.

I am pretty sure CF has a tutorial that will run you through the basics pretty quick including teaching you how to throw.

It should. Most Blazblue games have a fair tutorial.

Paragon Fury:

Are you sure you did the tutorial? Cause they explain the grabs in them. Grabs and airgrabs are done by pressing BC, you also have backgrabs with 4BC which have different properties outside of simply putting your foe behind you. Finally, unlike SF, you have a reactable window to tech grabs in BB, and you can also do mid-combo grabs which have a HUGE techable window as opposed to normal green grabs which you shouldn't do but if you do land one of those it does unscaled damage. Point basically is you gotta be ready to always tech while being comboed just in case someone tries to get a purple grab in cause in the end of combos a purple grab adds as much damage as like 2 supers.

Command grabs are special moves but not all chars have those, just go through the command list to see if they do. As for the flow and visuals, yeah, a lot of stuff happens and you need very high awareness of all parts of the screen as well as a general understanding of the places that people can get to such that you do not get surprised when, say, Valkenhayn turns into a wolf and flies off the top of the screen.

As for opening people up, you mainly use overheads, not grabs, to do that. Of course, when you fight the AI which reads your inputs, as I explained above, it'll have superhuman reflexes so overheads will SEEM not as effective but when fighting actual humans, overheads are the go to moves for opening people who defend a lot.

BB discourages turtling through the negative penalty system. If you back away a lot you enter a state where you lose out all of your resources and you take double damage and to exit the state you have to do offensive actions such as hitting buttons or moving forward.

Does anyone know how to find local tournaments? I'm always looking for a good public match, but it's often just Smash Bros. (and my taunt spam strategy only gets me so far), plus they usually have an entry fee because of some prize which I don't care about because I never expect to win, I just want the competition. The last one I entered was clearly rigged, and the guy from Limn Interactive who set it up was shady as shit.

Lisker84:
Does anyone know how to find local tournaments? I'm always looking for a good public match, but it's often just Smash Bros. (and my taunt spam strategy only gets me so far), plus they usually have an entry fee because of some prize which I don't care about because I never expect to win, I just want the competition. The last one I entered was clearly rigged, and the guy from Limn Interactive who set it up was shady as shit.

Most tourneys worth anything have entry fees, usually they go towards the prize money the top 3 get. You can basically gauge the value of competition by how much money the winner stands to earn. You can have casuals at these gatherings too of course so if you don't wanna participate you can just go and ask to play casuals with people when the tourney isn't taking up the setups, of course.

You have to specify which game you want to find people to play in, though, since that will decide weather or not it's easy or hard to find people near you. Smash and capcom games are the biggest while for airdashers you will have trouble finding people. I used dustloop to find my local communities when I was in the west coast as well as when on the east coast.

I don't care about the competition much personally, I just enjoy playing with actual people instead of online. I'm in Denver, so I don't know how that stacks up to a city on the coasts, but I'm sure it's got way more tournaments than back in the Midwest. I'm okay with those that have pretty much anything, especially Capcom games.

Lisker84:
I don't care about the competition much personally, I just enjoy playing with actual people instead of online. I'm in Denver, so I don't know how that stacks up to a city on the coasts, but I'm sure it's got way more tournaments than back in the Midwest. I'm okay with those that have pretty much anything, especially Capcom games.

My advice would be to look up forums of specific games and then go to the community parts of those forums and look for your location. You may have to have a drive or it may be close but you should be able to find something. I don't know anything about capcom games so I can't be more specific though.

Lisker84:

Playing with actual people is indeed one of the bigger charms of fighting games some people often forget.

capcom games can't be that hard to find meetups in a reasonably big city. Now imagine trying to find a local meetup for examu games. It's probably not worth trying

Under Night In-Birth's recent arcade content coming to console honestly left me a bit surprised. I did not think any of them cared enough to bring it but I am quite happy and even more surprised that it is for PS3. Guess I will try that version while I wait a few winters for a proper PC release. Great news.

Enkidu looks like an interesting take on the classic kung fu char. I'm just excited my Seth is finally good.

Dreiko:
Enkidu looks like an interesting take on the classic kung fu char. I'm just excited my Seth is finally good.

Ja, I am really hoping Akatsuki does not get nerfed or gets buffed and stays that way in the arcade version long enough for those changes to be the default on the home versions.

Whelp, I'm finally getting a fight stick for fighting games, instead of punishing my regular controllers. The one I've picked;

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-atrox-xbox-one

Should be here Tuesday or Weds.

Paragon Fury:
Whelp, I'm finally getting a fight stick for fighting games, instead of punishing my regular controllers. The one I've picked;

Make sure you remove the killswitch before you get to the finals :) (possibly obscure) jk ofc.

Suprised no one has posted this so I will

A new fighting layers game. Whats that never heard of it? no I had not either I just knew of them from Street Fighter EX but this looks really nice plus the whole sidestep thing going on I feel it could be quite interesting especially the way the look to be handling it which appears to be different to most.

It was released as a proof of concept on April the 1st soo it was disregarded as an elaborate April fools but apparently it was not. They are looking for a publisher atm and whether they find one will determine whether it become more than just a demo.

Current rumours are SNK are interested but will see.

Its gonna be a niche title regardless but if they make it look as good as possible and focus on a small balanced cast with solid infrastructure and have a good business plan i.e release a full game at a proper price point for its content. then I see no reason why it could not do ok. I would buy it anyway.

I still don't get how Capcom managed to mess up that sf ex series so bad when Project Justice/Rival Schools was such an amazing game.

Dreiko:
I still don't get how Capcom managed to mess up that sf ex series so bad when Project Justice/Rival Schools was such an amazing game.

I am not that familiar with the games tbh as my play time with them all is very limited but didnt Arika develop the EX series and not Capcom? I mean as joint publisher they obviously had some say but im not sure its really their fault for that. Now SFV is a different story.

To be fair though its been quite a while now where it has been a pleasant surprise when Capcom dont mess things up.

Also just a wild question but sorta fits the thread has anyone played Urban Legend in Limbo?

I have the PC version but cannot get it to run on my PC probably because its Japanese. I was going to buy it on the JP PSN store but its a little to pricy for a whim purchase.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. Closest games I have played (from appearance) to it are Wartech Seko No Ronde (did not like) and Psychic Force (liked more but needed a lot of polish and tightening up).

I saw it being played in Japan but to my regret I never got a chance to play it as I was short on time and it had a surprising amount of people wanting to play it.

i had some older touhou fighters, which were fun, but no1 plays.

Brandon Galli:
Has anyone played last blade 2 before?? Basically this vid covers how epic it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBTzgP1LlA

... Yes. I'm pretty good at LB2. Power Amano is my best character. I'm pretty decent at EX/Speed Setsuna, EX/Speed Lee and EX/Speed Washizuka too.

You should be able to get JP games to run on your pc if you change your pc's regional/language settings to JP. As for touhou, I played the older ones, they look quite a bit different and my main isn't in these new ones but I might get into the ps4 one eventually.

Lisker84:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jKa2iL7cWPmZelh2E371NZhMA77TB1-mFC0BnAgyXCQ/edit#gid=0

Several communities for Denver or Colorado there if you're interested.

As far as I know it actually has something of a vibrant scene. I know for a fact it's got some good Guilty Gear players.

edit: Would note that in some cases these group names/locations are outdated, but you should be able to still find some names/groups that are still around regardless.

Paragon Fury:

Should be here Tuesday or Weds.

It is pretty. I have no experience with Razer sticks. Just the nice keyboard I was given.

Well, I've been trying it out for a while now and I gotta say while it's nice, I'm getting my ass handed to me trying to learn how to use it compared to a normal controller.

Oh, and the sad part?

Windows 10 doesn't support Arcade Sticks from the PS4/Xbox One yet, so I can't use it with Street Fighter V - which really sucks.

razer sticks look pretty nice. it's sanwa parts, so can't feel too bad. i wonder about durability

I'm thinking of picking up GGXRD-revelator 2. I used tobplay XRD-sign back when it came out. How is the online community for revelator in NA? (There is a fighting game community here in Montreal, but I'm too Asocial to actually go to the weekly or monthy tournaments)

There's always a full lobby here in new england during evening hours (so 64+ folks at least) but that will pick up when rev 2 hits. Also heads up, rev 2 demo is out.

rev2 demo is out. unfotunatly only vs mode, and standard training. you'll have to discover your own combos or look for online sources. have a friend over in person to play.

Can give you combos here if you are in need. Philanthropy is good. :D

i can get some easily if i searched. just lazy, and hardly have any time. i rarely write down combos due to laziness even when i have time. here's some baiken stuff. annotations would help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BypiVsLU2Hg

Dreiko:

I am considering picking it Rev on Steam since Rev 2 comes out soon on PC as well. Still its a tough choice from limited funds combined with Nier Automata and Tekken 7 coming soon. I really need someone to play with because I found Guilty Gear less engaging that its younger sister without someone else to play with me.

PurplePonyArcade:

Dreiko:

I am considering picking it Rev on Steam since Rev 2 comes out soon on PC as well. Still its a tough choice from limited funds combined with Nier Automata and Tekken 7 coming soon. I really need someone to play with because I found Guilty Gear less engaging that its younger sister without someone else to play with me.

Just get the rev 2 disc version, it'll have all the dlc and everything so if you don't have rev1 it's way better. I'm on ps3 here so if you wanna play it'll have to be ps3-4 though.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here