Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Glongpre:

PurplePonyArcade:
Oh I know, I just wanted to make a fighting thread here to.

Yea, totally.

I think you should ask for it to get stickied, or get a new forum going, where individual games can be discussed and it is less likely to be buried amidst the multitude of general questions in the gaming discussion forum.

Bring about an evolution to the Escapist forums!

Point taken, but how would I get it stickied?

PurplePonyArcade:

Point taken, but how would I get it stickied?

Haha, I actually don't know. Ask a mod?

I just thought it would be a good idea :D

Im currently playing Street fighter 5. The lack of content doesn't bother me. I usually never play through arcade mode and just play training mode and online matches. So not having all the extra fluff is no problem for me. I spent 100 hours at least playing this game and i enjoy the game for the most part. The initial problems with the server and ragequitters are what annoyed me the most and those have been resolved.

I played mostly R mika since release and have switch over to Ibuki since her release. Ibuki is just so much fun to play.

Dreiko:
When half the games aren't at all on the system and the other half are the old, obsolete versions nobody plays any more, I don't know how you can reccomend the pc unless you wish to say a game is better just for being on pc even if it's dead or only play melty and touhou hisou lol.

And yeah, I don't have a ps4 either. PS3 has cross play and all the games I play are on it and I use a sixaxis. No reason to bother learning a new controller.

Oh and Bang has two vocal themes, when CP came out they gave him a new song, sung by his voice actor. Super hype :D. Nu is fine, just not S tier. They consolidated her zoning with a new pronectie that stays on the screen until you let the button go and then fires, think Litchi deploying her staff, she can use it for all sorts of stuff. The nerfs were basically to her silly long combos. She could get what ammouts to free rapid cancels with gravity seed in cpe. Her zoning is actually stronger.

I recommend it simply for being the preferable platform of yours truly while at the same time pointing out that it is not a good idea to discourage any platform. Console is a bit better for just having the games, but PC can't be discounted in this day and age.
Well, Playstation anyway. The Xbox brand is not as strong with fighting games as it used to be and Nintendo less so and being all over the place. I actually think PC is much better than Xbox and Nintendo consoles at this point for fighting games even if Playstation has it be by number of fighting games available.
So her gravity seed is almost as good as it used to be prior to now? Wow, I really did miss out haha. I have not gotten used to her longer combos anyway having memorized all of her shorter/average stuff to the bone so I guess that is not so bad.

Lufia Erim:
Im currently playing Street fighter 5. The lack of content doesn't bother me. I usually never play through arcade mode and just play training mode and online matches. So not having all the extra fluff is no problem for me. I spent 100 hours at least playing this game and i enjoy the game for the most part. The initial problems with the server and ragequitters are what annoyed me the most and those have been resolved.

I played mostly R mika since release and have switch over to Ibuki since her release. Ibuki is just so much fun to play.

If I can get my part issues settled I would love to play with you sometime. I dropped off after Guile due to PC issues and as a result have not tried Ikuki yet. Mad respect to you for being a Mika player.

aozgolo:
Fighting Games have always been kind of a "when I'm in the mood" genre, and that mood strikes rarely, overall I generally only ever play about 2 fighting games per console generation, and never seriously, I mostly stick to playing them vs. AI, and what I personally look for in a fighting game is generally scoffed at by competitive players.

Case in point, my favorite of all time was Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for PS2. I loved the huge roster of characters, destrucible environments, rather simple combo executions, and the special moves bar. It also featured one of my favorite things in fighting games, unlockable extras. I appreciate a story mode campaign as well, but really what keeps me playing is unlocking things, something I sadly see DLC killing off quite readily.

I also enjoyed the auto-battle system, I would set up a 5 v 5 tag team match and bet on the outcome, it was rather entertaining like watching fights on the show. What made this particularly enjoyable, and really worked out well in part to some RPG elements thrown in was that the roster was NOT balanced, and some characters were vastly more powerful than others, but it made for interesting tag team combos, and if you got skilled enough, nothing was more thrilling than taking down a super powerful foe with a weak character.

Now if I could just find a more modern fighting game that had tons of unlockable extras, a large and varied roster, and maybe even a campaign or RPG elements, and basically just an overall setup that accommodates solo play, I'd happily buy that game, but I am skeptical if any such game exists.

Eh, again to each their own taste. Despite not being a fan of Dragon Ball Z I did play Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and found I could not stomach it. I very much understand the old lust for unlocking things and miss that myself. Saelune already said it both yes Melee, Brawl and to a lesser extent Smash 64 are good games to look into if you want to spend long hours having fun and unlocking things. Disregard my overall negative opinion of Brawl and its still at least a fun game, if a bad fighting game, with a quad ton of content that is really built around spending long hours playing to do. As far as games with big rosters the original Tekken Tag Tournament has a big roster with a few unlockables. I never played Mortal Kombat Armageddon but I think it still holds the record for largest fighting game roster ever so there is that and its on Ps2 just like Tekken Tag Tournament and Budokai Tenkaichi 2.
If you can appreciate and RPG theme rather than any actual mechanics then there is Battle Fantasia, but I am getting out of hand. Point is if you have fun with fighting games, any, then that is good to hear.

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

If I can get my part issues settled I would love to play with you sometime. I dropped off after Guile due to PC issues and as a result have not tried Ikuki yet. Mad respect to you for being a Mika player.

Ha thats a first. Usually people hate Mika. Hell me myself i cant stand fighting her. Since shes my main, i know all the shit she can do and it scares the crap out of me when i face her lol. So i end up respecting her way too much.

As for ibuki well, shes just so much fun with her mix ups and bomb shananigans. Seriously, the fear of the bomb is a bigger threat than the bomb itself.

Due to SFV i realised that my favorit characters archtype to play is " bullshit random mixup characters". Which makes sense because i absolutely loved playing Leo and elphelt in GGXRD-sign-. Makes me regret not playing el fuerte in SF4

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

Ha thats a first. Usually people hate Mika. Hell me myself i cant stand fighting her. Since shes my main, i know all the shit she can do and it scares the crap out of me when i face her lol. So i end up respecting her way too much.

As for ibuki well, shes just so much fun with her mix ups and bomb shananigans. Seriously, the fear of the bomb is a bigger threat than the bomb itself.

Due to SFV i realised that my favorit characters archtype to play is " bullshit random mixup characters". Which makes sense because i absolutely loved playing Leo and elphelt in GGXRD-sign-. Makes me regret not playing el fuerte in SF4

Maybe I am just too out of date since I remember Mika being a poorly rated character by most myself included. Then again I have always played F.A.N.G who also is but even then I don't recall Mika being widely embraced during the earlier days.
Play El Fuerte! Go practice and have fun with him! "Fear of the bomb is a bigger threat than the bomb itself?" Sounds like Birdie 2.0 and I like the sound of that. :)

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Maybe I am just too out of date since I remember Mika being a poorly rated character by most myself included. Then again I have always played F.A.N.G who also is but even then I don't recall Mika being widely embraced during the earlier days.
Play El Fuerte! Go practice and have fun with him! "Fear of the bomb is a bigger threat than the bomb itself?" Sounds like Birdie 2.0 and I like the sound of that. :)

R.Mika got a massive rating boost when Marn picked her up and got into top 8 in a major tournament ( i think it was Final Round tournament). Basically he beat everyone in the death pool (dead pool? ), using mika, showing off her potential. It was all over fighting game news lol.

PurplePonyArcade:

Dreiko:
When half the games aren't at all on the system and the other half are the old, obsolete versions nobody plays any more, I don't know how you can reccomend the pc unless you wish to say a game is better just for being on pc even if it's dead or only play melty and touhou hisou lol.

And yeah, I don't have a ps4 either. PS3 has cross play and all the games I play are on it and I use a sixaxis. No reason to bother learning a new controller.

Oh and Bang has two vocal themes, when CP came out they gave him a new song, sung by his voice actor. Super hype :D. Nu is fine, just not S tier. They consolidated her zoning with a new pronectie that stays on the screen until you let the button go and then fires, think Litchi deploying her staff, she can use it for all sorts of stuff. The nerfs were basically to her silly long combos. She could get what ammouts to free rapid cancels with gravity seed in cpe. Her zoning is actually stronger.

I recommend it simply for being the preferable platform of yours truly while at the same time pointing out that it is not a good idea to discourage any platform. Console is a bit better for just having the games, but PC can't be discounted in this day and age.
Well, Playstation anyway. The Xbox brand is not as strong with fighting games as it used to be and Nintendo less so and being all over the place. I actually think PC is much better than Xbox and Nintendo consoles at this point for fighting games even if Playstation has it be by number of fighting games available.
So her gravity seed is almost as good as it used to be prior to now? Wow, I really did miss out haha. I have not gotten used to her longer combos anyway having memorized all of her shorter/average stuff to the bone so I guess that is not so bad.

Basically, she can cancel her special moves into gravity seed, allowing her to then link other buttons after it since it has no recovery, it allows meterless combo extension off of her heavier specials like 214D or 236D into seed>5D and so on. Basically a free rc for specific bits in her combos. Add to that the much reduced seed cooldown and any touch is silly levels of damage.

In CF they toned it down by nerfin how much her specials scale as well as combo time in general, but she can still do the free rc seed thing for stuff like 236D so its good to learn.

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

R.Mika got a massive rating boost when Marn picked her up and got into top 8 in a major tournament ( i think it was Final Round tournament). Basically he beat everyone in the death pool (dead pool? ), using mika, showing off her potential. It was all over fighting game news lol.

I didn't know that and the funny thing is I am a regular attendee of Final Round. Though I was mainly there for Under Night In-Birth and Tekken anyway, which I sadly go DQed because of how big a mess it was. I also had to leave very early so that may be apart of why I didnt get that.

If they ever add Sagat I guess then I can enjoy SFV, but I main Vega, and they ruined him. And most people just play Ryu anyways.

Saelune:
If they ever add Sagat I guess then I can enjoy SFV, but I main Vega, and they ruined him. And most people just play Ryu anyways.

Most of the people I have seen play Nash x.x
..Myself included, just not as a main.

PurplePonyArcade:

Saelune:

Why? Nash, Vega and Bison were all ruined by V. I guess they were just so desperate to have him back.

Saelune:

PurplePonyArcade:

Saelune:

Why? Nash, Vega and Bison were all ruined by V. I guess they were just so desperate to have him back.

I just remember him being one of the very best characters for the longest time and being a dominate character.

All this talk of sf reminded me of my old main in vanilla sf4 back before I was competitive, Gouken. He, along with me, apparently decided to jump ship over to arcsys so while not in sf5 he is in mecha form as Kum Haehyun's robot in Xrd Revelator. Funny how that works out huh XD. Though he sadly is nowhere nearly as cool as Sin so he has to be just a sub.

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

I didn't know that and the funny thing is I am a regular attendee of Final Round. Though I was mainly there for Under Night In-Birth and Tekken anyway, which I sadly go DQed because of how big a mess it was. I also had to leave very early so that may be apart of why I didnt get that.

Okay i did some fact checking ( which i should have done earlier admittedly). It was at NCR.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/mar/26/marn-taunts-his-way-through-pool-death-brentt-does-momochi-shimmy-and-julio-bests-xian-norcal-regionals-day-one-highlights/

http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/28/espn-highlights-the-many-faces-of-marn-at-norcal-regionals/

http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/27/late-registration-escaping-the-death-pool-at-norcal-regionals-2016/

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

Okay i did some fact checking ( which i should have done earlier admittedly). It was at NCR.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/mar/26/marn-taunts-his-way-through-pool-death-brentt-does-momochi-shimmy-and-julio-bests-xian-norcal-regionals-day-one-highlights/

http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/28/espn-highlights-the-many-faces-of-marn-at-norcal-regionals/

http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/27/late-registration-escaping-the-death-pool-at-norcal-regionals-2016/

Dreiko:
All this talk of sf reminded me of my old main in vanilla sf4 back before I was competitive, Gouken. He, along with me, apparently decided to jump ship over to arcsys so while not in sf5 he is in mecha form as Kum Haehyun's robot in Xrd Revelator. Funny how that works out huh XD. Though he sadly is nowhere nearly as cool as Sin so he has to be just a sub.

I was pretty interested to see Guilty Gear get its first Korean character myself.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/02/touhou-shinpiroku-urban-legend-limbo-release-ps4-japan-december-8/
Touhou Shinpiroku ~ Urban Legend in Limbo is getting a Ps4 release soon. I will say I have not yet played any of the Touhou fighting games but this is pretty interesting news! Especially the fact that the new release will get a limited run of arcade sticks which I always think is pretty cool. With Genso Rondo getting a surprise western release, possibly the only game in the series but then I am Touhou ignorant, I wonder if this game will as well? Either way it is some cool news.

PurplePonyArcade:
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/02/touhou-shinpiroku-urban-legend-limbo-release-ps4-japan-december-8/
Touhou Shinpiroku ~ Urban Legend in Limbo is getting a Ps4 release soon. I will say I have not yet played any of the Touhou fighting games but this is pretty interesting news! Especially the fact that the new release will get a limited run of arcade sticks which I always think is pretty cool. With Genso Rondo getting a surprise western release, possibly the only game in the series but then I am Touhou ignorant, I wonder if this game will as well? Either way it is some cool news.

This sems to be a different game from Touhou Hisoutensoku which is what the fighters in the touhou series have been up to now, main difference is that they seem to be perpetually hovering as opposd to running at points too, so I'll hold back an opinion. The older games were a lot of fun in that kusoge style where you have a lot of OP or useless fun moves mixed together and you equip your movelist from all availble moves rather than always have all moves available. It was one of those games people into touhou bring at casuals that I dabbled at but never took seriously. One of the more fun ones of that type too.

As for general touhou literacy, touhou is what homestuck failed to imitate and wishes to be one day. A guy composed music and made a super simplistic bullet hell game that could use his music, it caught on, then tons of actually talented (unlike homestuck's variation) fan artists and game devs made fan works or what we call doujin games based on that original musician guy's characters and lore. It has been going forever and most games including all fighters are "official fanworks" of sorts. Just, very well made ones. The girls are all sorts of immortal japaese spirits, yokai, which is why they look young typically. My main is Komachi in Hisoutensoku 12.5 (or was it 13, not sure, doujin games get patched a lot lol), she is a take on Charon, has a scythe and throws cutting wind from her scyhe, yen coins and souls and even has a boat super (and a super that always does 50%, cause what is balance). She sadly doesn't seem to be in the ps4 fighter yet though, and a lot of new chars seem to be in it too. Maybe they're OCs.

Dreiko:

PurplePonyArcade:

This sems to be a different game from Touhou Hisoutensoku which is what the fighters in the touhou series have been up to now, main difference is that they seem to be perpetually hovering as opposd to running at points too, so I'll hold back an opinion. The older games were a lot of fun in that kusoge style where you have a lot of OP or useless fun moves mixed together and you equip your movelist from all availble moves rather than always have all moves available. It was one of those games people into touhou bring at casuals that I dabbled at but never took seriously. One of the more fun ones of that type too.

As for general touhou literacy, touhou is what homestuck failed to imitate and wishes to be one day. A guy composed music and made a super simplistic bullet hell game that could use his music, it caught on, then tons of actually talented (unlike homestuck's variation) fan artists and game devs made fan works or what we call doujin games based on that original musician guy's characters and lore. It has been going forever and most games including all fighters are "official fanworks" of sorts. Just, very well made ones. The girls are all sorts of immortal japaese spirits, yokai, which is why they look young typically. My main is Komachi in Hisoutensoku 12.5 (or was it 13, not sure, doujin games get patched a lot lol), she is a take on Charon, has a scythe and throws cutting wind from her scyhe, yen coins and souls and even has a boat super (and a super that always does 50%, cause what is balance). She sadly doesn't seem to be in the ps4 fighter yet though, and a lot of new chars seem to be in it too. Maybe they're OCs.

Oh, my bad, I am not that Touhou ignorant. I know its the OG bullet hell that started out either in the late 90s or based around Win98 and is one of the if not the biggest solo developed games. I know that it has a fandom larger than Germany and do know its been compared to massive fandoms like Homestuck which I am more ignorant to and Friendship Is Magic which I am VERY VERY versed in to say the least. :) The MLP comparison to Touhou being more interesting because of the excessive amounts of female characters(are those idiots still saying we have not strong female characters, seriously and lol) and fanworks of all levels of quality pouring out of every orifice.
The fact that fighting games exist in the Touhou franchise I had once thought was probably based on the fact that ZUN wanted to develop a fighting game when he was a teen because that's what was cool when he was growing up. At least that's what I would have said before reading your official fanworks comment. Fact still stands, but wow. It is kind of cool that he lets fans develop like that for the franchise. I am assuming they get payed for their work and on that note I am reminded of the workshop content creators for Team Fortress 2. Much as I appreciate having youth I am sort of jealous of people like him where where old enough to see, understand, and appreciate the boom of fighting games when it was a thing.
Anyway me not playing any of the games is not from any irrational fear, I actually think the characters are really cute. It is just me just so happened to have not played the games. Looks like its time to change that!
By kurosoge I can't tell if you like the games you played or not. I like what I see from footage even if the games are kind of weird from a distant with all the constant floating. I mean I saw kurosoge as a sort of ironic thing. The only game I willingly call kurosoge is Arc System Works Hokuto No Ken game. That game is at heart a pretty and fast game with good design ideas, but like Marvel VS Capcom 2 its one of the most offensively mishandled, or badly programmed, or whatever you want to call it, lets just say "broken ass shit" games ever made. To me, as far as games I like it is THE KUROSOGE. Personally I think its balance or lack of is actually several times worse than Marvel VS Capcom 2 and 3/Ultimate and while high level play is truly amazing to see and is a fondness of mine how anyone can even think to do that with such a stupid game.
Anyone here who has not already seen the game please look it up. It is one of the craziest games I have ever seen.

Kusoge doesn't really indicate like or dislike, some of em are fun, some are single button infinite silly. Touhou has a lot of weather effects which change things to a level even smash items envy like give everyone super armor or healing whoever last landed a hit and so on. Some moves like the aforementioned always half life super are silly. There's also these potion specials, if you drink 3 of em you enter a stte of costant invuln for like 10 seconds, think star in mario lol. Lots of silliness. But yeah like I said it was always fun, the chars are unique and interesting which is a big draw.

As for similarities with the ponies, that was an established franchise already rather than something that a lot of fan works made people get into, so I'm not sure if it fits. Pokemon or something would be more like it, started being for kids but now most fans are grown ass men or furries. XD

Though pokemon I would think has a larger kid fan segment due to its wide appeal. Ponies I could never understand despite my like of various cutesy Japaese things that reasons people like ponies apply to and I remember the old ones from the 90s before people were making them have brutal dbz fights on youtube too vividly which isn't exactly a good thing for them lol. It may just be the art style. Not enough moe.

I suppose I sort of see the point that kurosoge does not necessarily have to imply like or dislike. It is an insult, but then I guess I can see it as lighthearted.
Also

Mai Shiranui comes out for DOA5: Last Round September 13th for anyone who didn't already get the memo.
Verdict Guilty - 유죄 평결 is a cute little Korean fighting game that is currently only $1 and 1 cent on Steam!
I played it before and its a silly fighting game, recreating early versions of Street Fighter II not meant to take seriously.
It is fun and cute in a way and more than worth that price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BlgaHi7FHE

New Urien Trailer for Street Fighter V!

PurplePonyArcade:

Yay another matchup to learn :/.

Doesn't look too impressive to me. Outside of ibuki these new characters do absolutely nothing for me.

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Doesn't look too impressive to me. Outside of ibuki these new characters do absolutely nothing for me.

Speak for yourself. Urien was the character I have been looking forward to the most.

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Speak for yourself. Urien was the character I have been looking forward to the most.

Well i did say "me" twice in two sentences. If he looks interesting to you, more power to you, i hope you main him and become really good with him and i run into you online. It'll be fun.

On a slightly unrelated note, i noticed that for the first few days after a new character is released ( and this was since the Alex release), everyone tries them out online, but as time goes on the vaste majority drops the new character and goes back to their original main. I really don't see many of the characters outside the original 16 being played.

I wonder if that's just me. Can anyone confirm?

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

Well i did say "me" twice in two sentences. If he looks interesting to you, more power to you, i hope you main him and become really good with him and i run into you online. It'll be fun.

On a slightly unrelated note, i noticed that for the first few days after a new character is released ( and this was since the Alex release), everyone tries them out online, but as time goes on the vaste majority drops the new character and goes back to their original main. I really don't see many of the characters outside the original 16 being played.

I wonder if that's just me. Can anyone confirm?

Can't confirm because around the time Alex released is when my PC started screaming for death whenever I played the game and I had to sadly let it go until I get some new parts which i am still in the process of doing.
However I can say as far as I know of all the DLC characters that came out Guile is the only one highly rated. I think Boxer and Juri are dead last.

Also, Mai Shiranui comes out for DoA5:LR next Tuesday (Sept. 12).

Paragon Fury:
Also, Mai Shiranui comes out for DoA5:LR next Tuesday (Sept. 12).

A day early? Neat!

I'm very much a casual fighting game fan in that i play for fun and don't really care about the competitive aspect nor the technical details, but it's nonetheless a genre i enjoy. I just know ill never be good at them and my experience with trying to play with others online has been very negative so mostly stick to single player.

Still i like the spirit of this thread, and who knows, maybe might find someone to play with who doesn't mind humoring a noob.

Fighting games/series i play or had a past experience with:

-DragonBall Z budokai 3: one of the few fighting games i was ever any good at and was the big party game back in my boarding school. Hated the tenkaichi followups.

-Soul Blade/Calibur series: loved the original back on ps1 and have dabbled playing the sequels in arcade cabinets. Favorite characters to play was Siegfried/nightmare, Mitsurigi and Sophitia.

-Mortal Kombat series: One of my favorite franchises overall due to the hyper violence, have never been good at it but it's one of those games i love win or lose due to the gory finales xD
Mk9-X makes the bulk of what i've played online on pc and xbox, but it's also where i'd get tons of hate and made me realize how i just don't really fit into the online community, this would be where i'd get tons of hate especially when playing one of my fav characters: jade. Way i played her i tried to capitalize on her staff attacks and boomerangs to harass from range and keep my distance (it's a similar style to how i play siegfried in soul calibur) and people really hated it and would let me know in rather unpleasant terms. I was always :( at making people angry to play with me so is one reason why i dropped the game, i don't usually enjoy griefing people.

-Street fighter series: thought i was all right in street fighter 2 but have not kept up with the series and feel somewhat obsolete when i hear people talking about this game. Now it's all about supers, cancels and fancy technical terms. I have sometimes wondered about getting street fighter 5 but the lack of a good single player mode from what i hear+my apprehension about multi given past bad experiences on mortal kombat has kept me away thus far.
Characters i play: ryu/ken/guy in street fighter alpha2/vega/balrog/cammy

-Tekken series: like soul calibur, tekken was a staple of my playstation childhood and got to play the sequels at friends house. I grew really fond of steve and his boxing style. Other characters i like: true ogre in tekken 3, paul, jun from tekken, asuka, that funky pink haired purple girl robot whose name i forget in tekken 5 (or was it 6? or both?), bryan fury (dat laugh!).

-Dead or Alive series: only have experience with doa2 but it was a super fun game and played it tons, the counter system was both simple enough for a noob like me to pick up and satisfying enough to learn. Fav characters were ryu hayabusa, leon, bayman, ayane and helena.

That's enough random rambling i think.

Hey I love training people. It may be because of the communities of the games you play or something, I don't play those (outside of Budokai 3 which doesn't have netplay, though Burst Limit does and uses the same formula but much improved) so I dunno, but in games like Guilty Gear Xrd or Blazblue a lager segment of people are more serious hence helpful. Online REALLY doesn't equal competitive you see, anyone can play online, including trolls and jerks. The competitive folk are more close to a monk on top of a mountain willin to show the earnest grasshopper how to fly than somone eager to humiliate them. Oh and anyone can be good, you just have to put in the time, and the requirement is a huge one, so the results won't become quickly apparent. Setting small goals and comparing your old footage to how you play now are key steps.

Playing people is a different experience, as you have to read their tendencies and be precognizant enough to counter them before they occur. The AI is just dumb by comparison, using either obvious repeated patterns that never adapt or reading your button presses and reacting with superhuman speed that feels cheap. This is why you haven't really played the game if you don't delve deep enough to see that you have won a fight maybe 5 seconds into it and other such things. Hence, netplay is highly reccomended. Oh and SF is like, the simplest of games when tackling mechanics like supers and cancels, take a peek on a youtube vid of the tutorial in Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend and you'll see what I mean XD.

Frankster:
I'm very much a casual fighting game fan in that i play for fun and don't really care about the competitive aspect nor the technical details, but it's nonetheless a genre i enjoy. I just know ill never be good at them and my experience with trying to play with others online has been very negative so mostly stick to single player.

Still i like the spirit of this thread, and who knows, maybe might find someone to play with who doesn't mind humoring a noob.

Fighting games/series i play or had a past experience with:

-DragonBall Z budokai 3: one of the few fighting games i was ever any good at and was the big party game back in my boarding school. Hated the tenkaichi followups.

-Soul Blade/Calibur series: loved the original back on ps1 and have dabbled playing the sequels in arcade cabinets. Favorite characters to play was Siegfried/nightmare, Mitsurigi and Sophitia.

-Mortal Kombat series: One of my favorite franchises overall due to the hyper violence, have never been good at it but it's one of those games i love win or lose due to the gory finales xD
Mk9-X makes the bulk of what i've played online on pc and xbox, but it's also where i'd get tons of hate and made me realize how i just don't really fit into the online community, this would be where i'd get tons of hate especially when playing one of my fav characters: jade. Way i played her i tried to capitalize on her staff attacks and boomerangs to harass from range and keep my distance (it's a similar style to how i play siegfried in soul calibur) and people really hated it and would let me know in rather unpleasant terms. I was always :( at making people angry to play with me so is one reason why i dropped the game, i don't usually enjoy griefing people.

-Street fighter series: thought i was all right in street fighter 2 but have not kept up with the series and feel somewhat obsolete when i hear people talking about this game. Now it's all about supers, cancels and fancy technical terms. I have sometimes wondered about getting street fighter 5 but the lack of a good single player mode from what i hear+my apprehension about multi given past bad experiences on mortal kombat has kept me away thus far.
Characters i play: ryu/ken/guy in street fighter alpha2/vega/balrog/cammy

-Tekken series: like soul calibur, tekken was a staple of my playstation childhood and got to play the sequels at friends house. I grew really fond of steve and his boxing style. Other characters i like: true ogre in tekken 3, paul, jun from tekken, asuka, that funky pink haired purple girl robot whose name i forget in tekken 5 (or was it 6? or both?), bryan fury (dat laugh!).

-Dead or Alive series: only have experience with doa2 but it was a super fun game and played it tons, the counter system was both simple enough for a noob like me to pick up and satisfying enough to learn. Fav characters were ryu hayabusa, leon, bayman, ayane and helena.

That's enough random rambling i think.

Quite a description and for that reason more than welcome here since that was my aim. Alpha 2 has an oddly firm and devoted following even if smaller than Super Turbo and 3rd Strike. So if that is your thing you should have quite a few people between Fightcade(don't know if TheEscapist will let me say that here or not) and the off chance you find a local tournament since the bigger areas have a mix of cabs and console and my experience did to my surprise net me a few people eager to play it. I was never much for the Alpha series though. I like the characters, but the custom combo thing sort of breaks flow for me in competitive too bad. Like I said if you like Street Fighter in general then its fairly flexible. Ultra Street Fighter IV is still fairly active online on both console and PC and on the latter im up for some casuals if you like. Super Turbo and 3rd Strike have a decent online following between Fightcade and the Online Edition of 3S. Of course V is where the action is at, but maybe that is not your thing.

I still have some catching up to do with DOA2, but I really want to play it. Its the only other game in the series that perked my interest besides 5.

Tekken, oh boy. I may not be as good at 3D fighting games and that included Tekken, but I really like me some Tekken.

Before I go on I should say you mentioned being more casual and that is fine. Just know if you want to know anything more of competitive settings and getting better at games in general let me know and I will help if I can. Same goes for anyone else posting here. This post got a little out of hand I am afraid, oh well.

PurplePonyArcade:
Ultra Street Fighter IV is still fairly active online (...)

Coolio! I'll probably pick up Street fighter 4+maybe 5 depending on price in a future steam sale at some point. Just found out Street Fighter 5 has a story mode now so would make me more likely to purchase it. Would definitely like to add ya when that happens.
I liked Alpha 2 mainly cos was a sweet game with a complete single player mode and liked the general feel+esthetics.

You mention local tournaments and short of it being budokai 3 i don't think i'm ready for such things except maybe to attend as a spectator/cheerleader xD

The only real experience i have competitively (kinda) is i was flatmates with a fighting game tournament player for a few months. He liked to "wind down" by playing a fighting game he didn't compete with, in this case was tekken 5.
I quickly learnt having to be ruthless in order to win, example: NOT waiting for the opponent to get back up and refuse to get in free hits, my friend would have no such mercy and those free hits would win him the game. So had to return the favor and that combined with fancy Steve dodging (50/50 chance of dodging, those are odds i can work with!) and a knowledge of basic combos meant i'd actually win sometimes. And thus dude only enjoyed playing that with me cos in the flat was only student capable of giving him a challenge every now and then.

As for getting better in a competitive setting.. Let's cross that bridge when we get there. So far the biggest barrier i have is a mental one. As i mentioned, my experience dabbling in online fighting is that people are surprisingly nasty and love to thrash talk. I don't know if it's me being a delicate flower but it's something i find it off putting, i've always sucked at thrash talking even in irl.
From a more technical aspect, i'm still at the stage when i'm happy with basic combos and relying on good timing but have 0 knowledge of advanced fighting game mechanics (things i've heard like "guard breaking" or "cancelling" or worrying about frames) beyond that they exist.

Dreiko:
Online REALLY doesn't equal competitive you see, anyone can play online, including trolls and jerks. The competitive folk are more close to a monk on top of a mountain willin to show the earnest grasshopper how to fly than somone eager to humiliate them..

Hum i guess i'll have to keep that in mind but it really does feel to me like the fighting game community is one where you gotta learn to take BS and talk it back+wanting to destroy/humiliate your opponent both inside and outside the game xD
Guess have yet to meet them monks. My tournament friend was always allright with me but i assumed a big part of that was cos we lived together + we played his chill out game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here