Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Frankster:

Coolio! I'll probably pick up Street fighter 4+maybe 5 depending on price in a future steam sale at some point. Just found out Street Fighter 5 has a story mode now so would make me more likely to purchase it.

Its up to you with SFV. I have not played the PC version but bought the PS4 version day one and while I do enjoy the core game lets say it has issues which are still unresolved as it stands I would say its worth 20 pounds for the base game and story mode possibly 25 with the new characters added its just not a robust package outside of playing online but then I also feel Overwatch is also twice the amount it should be take my opinion as you will. Story mode is pretty terrible though if you want to get an idea of how badly it is written read some of the character profiles they are making for the rapidly bloating SF universe on CFN, its bad even for a fighter but because its so bad its also quite amusing in a way I suppose unless ofc you spent money just to get that then you probably would not find it very funny. I do enjoy the core gameplay of SFV though for me personally its better than SFIV and 3 in that one regard.

There is a Tifa mod for Chun on PC tho so gotta be honest that is tempting me :)

Frankster:

Hum i guess i'll have to keep that in mind but it really does feel to me like the fighting game community is one where you gotta learn to take BS and talk it back+wanting to destroy/humiliate your opponent both inside and outside the game xD
Guess have yet to meet them monks. My tournament friend was always allright with me but i assumed a big part of that was cos we lived together + we played his chill out game.

I wouldnt look at it as a community they are just people who play fighters yes in smaller settings and possibly special events I am sure there can be a more communal spirit but online they are just people playing fighters and people can be complete idiots and very nice. Often they are both depending on time and circumstance. Personally I have had a fair bit of hate mail from playing (especially SFIV) one guy even kindly recorded a death threat lol. But I have also had a few really nice messages and messages asking for assistance which I helped with when I could (mostly SCV as that is the game I knew best). Usually I just get GG message if anything tho. Face to face (side by side) is always my preffered wat to play fighters tho and people are much less inclined to be dicks to your face even if they pop off most will still shake your hand and answer any questions if you ask politely..except a few ofc there are always a few.

Frankster:

PurplePonyArcade:
Ultra Street Fighter IV is still fairly active online (...)

Coolio! I'll probably pick up Street fighter 4+maybe 5 depending on price in a future steam sale at some point. Just found out Street Fighter 5 has a story mode now so would make me more likely to purchase it. Would definitely like to add ya when that happens.
I liked Alpha 2 mainly cos was a sweet game with a complete single player mode and liked the general feel+esthetics.

You mention local tournaments and short of it being budokai 3 i don't think i'm ready for such things except maybe to attend as a spectator/cheerleader xD

The only real experience i have competitively (kinda) is i was flatmates with a fighting game tournament player for a few months. He liked to "wind down" by playing a fighting game he didn't compete with, in this case was tekken 5.
I quickly learnt having to be ruthless in order to win, example: NOT waiting for the opponent to get back up and refuse to get in free hits, my friend would have no such mercy and those free hits would win him the game. So had to return the favor and that combined with fancy Steve dodging (50/50 chance of dodging, those are odds i can work with!) and a knowledge of basic combos meant i'd actually win sometimes. And thus dude only enjoyed playing that with me cos in the flat was only student capable of giving him a challenge every now and then.

As for getting better in a competitive setting.. Let's cross that bridge when we get there. So far the biggest barrier i have is a mental one. As i mentioned, my experience dabbling in online fighting is that people are surprisingly nasty and love to thrash talk. I don't know if it's me being a delicate flower but it's something i find it off putting, i've always sucked at thrash talking even in irl.
From a more technical aspect, i'm still at the stage when i'm happy with basic combos and relying on good timing but have 0 knowledge of advanced fighting game mechanics (things i've heard like "guard breaking" or "cancelling" or worrying about frames) beyond that they exist.

Dreiko:
Online REALLY doesn't equal competitive you see, anyone can play online, including trolls and jerks. The competitive folk are more close to a monk on top of a mountain willin to show the earnest grasshopper how to fly than somone eager to humiliate them..

Hum i guess i'll have to keep that in mind but it really does feel to me like the fighting game community is one where you gotta learn to take BS and talk it back+wanting to destroy/humiliate your opponent both inside and outside the game xD
Guess have yet to meet them monks. My tournament friend was always allright with me but i assumed a big part of that was cos we lived together + we played his chill out game.

The basic thing is that "its in the game, it is fair game". As long as you apply that you're fine.

People indeed wanna win in flashy ways and such but that is when you're in a more equal footing. Talking shit with someone who can talk back is fun for both parties you see while if they're a beginner and have no retort you're just being a jerk. So you're not entirely wrong but you shouldn't worry about it at the same time until you become a real threat worth minding. You know those tiny fish that swim next to a great white shark that grab the bits of flesh that escape its jaws as it eats. They don't themselves get eaten because the effort is not worth the paltry reward, so they manage a symbiotic relationship. Beginners are kinda like those fish, before they get eaten they first have to fatten up some to be worth the effort. :D

And nah, chill out game means game you don't take seriously enough to master, that's all. The buring desire to win never ceases, it is more of a personality trait of the type of person that becomes competitive than something related to the game being played.

Frankster:

PurplePonyArcade:
Ultra Street Fighter IV is still fairly active online (...)

Coolio! I'll probably pick up Street fighter 4+maybe 5 depending on price in a future steam sale at some point. Just found out Street Fighter 5 has a story mode now so would make me more likely to purchase it. Would definitely like to add ya when that happens.
I liked Alpha 2 mainly cos was a sweet game with a complete single player mode and liked the general feel+esthetics.

You mention local tournaments and short of it being budokai 3 i don't think i'm ready for such things except maybe to attend as a spectator/cheerleader xD

The only real experience i have competitively (kinda) is i was flatmates with a fighting game tournament player for a few months. He liked to "wind down" by playing a fighting game he didn't compete with, in this case was tekken 5.
I quickly learnt having to be ruthless in order to win, example: NOT waiting for the opponent to get back up and refuse to get in free hits, my friend would have no such mercy and those free hits would win him the game. So had to return the favor and that combined with fancy Steve dodging (50/50 chance of dodging, those are odds i can work with!) and a knowledge of basic combos meant i'd actually win sometimes. And thus dude only enjoyed playing that with me cos in the flat was only student capable of giving him a challenge every now and then.

As for getting better in a competitive setting.. Let's cross that bridge when we get there. So far the biggest barrier i have is a mental one. As i mentioned, my experience dabbling in online fighting is that people are surprisingly nasty and love to thrash talk. I don't know if it's me being a delicate flower but it's something i find it off putting, i've always sucked at thrash talking even in irl.
From a more technical aspect, i'm still at the stage when i'm happy with basic combos and relying on good timing but have 0 knowledge of advanced fighting game mechanics (things i've heard like "guard breaking" or "cancelling" or worrying about frames) beyond that they exist.

Dreiko:
Online REALLY doesn't equal competitive you see, anyone can play online, including trolls and jerks. The competitive folk are more close to a monk on top of a mountain willin to show the earnest grasshopper how to fly than somone eager to humiliate them..

If you have aspirations to improve at all and play fighting games I am all levels of delighted and again Ill help if asked.

The typical online public is not pleasant and fighting game are no exception. That's why its often better to just plan matches with friends, especially if all you want to do is play and you are not so considered about ranked or anything.

So I want to ask a few questions about the general fighting game community. My biggest jump into fighting games has been Melee with my friend, and I have years of kid me playing Tekken 2-4 with my brother and a few people at an arcade that once existed near my house. I still play Melee from time to time with one of my mates, but would like to get into something different, and more closer to a 2D fighter with a health bar and the map not really making a difference outside of scenery.

My first question is this, if I am to get into a decent sized community with a game, should I stick to consoles almost as a rule, or is there a decent size community for PC on the bigger titles as well? I ask mostly due to right now not owning a gamepad for fighting games but finding that while playing BBCPE that a keyboard felt closer to a pad than a controller did, BUT I also just logged onto the same game today wanting to try an online match, only to see that no one is on. So, is this something specific to this game only, or are my chances better of almost always finding someone to play with on a console to the point that it would be worth just getting all new ones on console?

I would also ask what games have better staying power with their more hardcore communities. I know I'll always find someone playing SFV for the time being, but I feel discouraged to get it because I know in about a year or two the ultra extended combo edition will come out and from what I've seen, everyone will just leave for the new one. The same goes for series like BB and GG, as it seems to be close to the same crowd and when one of the two come out, like with the new GG, it looks like the other games become ghost towns. I'd like to start playing a game that I feel safe will have some staying power for at least a few years that I can log in and at least find another few people, not just have to play in arcade or vs mode.

All of this being said, which ones seem to be most beginner friendly, while not lacking in depth? And to go with it, which games are your favorites? I'd enjoy it much more if I had specific people I knew to play with, so I have a visable rival to combat against over just playing faceless other players, and despite what a lot of people say of this forum turning bad, I still find it one of the most respectable I've been on and wouldn't mind playing with a few of you.

Also, final question for this post, am I wrong that SFV will get abandoned once the very next thing comes out? Because it looks fun and I'd enjoy getting to try it out at least until the next Tekken release without the discouragement that all of it will be gone in a short time period.

Generally speaking, classic 2D games specifically thrive on sony sytems. The more niche ones like BB and GG especially so, I don't know of any serious player using the pc for those. SFV has online crossplay with ps4 which is why playing it on pc is feasible, and the game is generally larger due to name recognition. Getting into any game is about as hard, as it purely depends on your own determination, the basics of some are more complex than of others but ultimately you have no hope of getting into either without enough perseverance so might as well just ignore everything and jump into the one you fancy the most.

I am all for games like Blazblue, as I originally was an rpg fan who was casual at fighters and the game that turned me competitive was BB due to a story engrossing to the point where it was so much fun to play as the characters in that game that before I realized it I had played enough to be somewhat good, good enough to be able to go up agaist actually good people and hold my own, which served to motivate me to get even better. In the process I met people who played a lot of GG so I ended up pickin that one up too, then other games joined up like arcana heart or under night in birth or nitroplus blasterz more recently. I am not a fan of capcom games outside of tatsunoko vs capcom and vampire savior but most other 2D games are right up my alley. My advice is to find a game with a char in it that you never will tire of using. That's how you can maintain the level of motivation needed to properly learn. The good part is that skill transfers so if you learn something in one of these games, it applies to almost all of em, so being good in one game means you'll be at least half way decent and heaps above other beginners in another, so you only have to go through this learning process once and not every time you pick up a new game. (though this doesn't also apply to vastly different games like american fighters, smash, 3D figters and so on, those each have their own set of fundamentals)

Lastly, in the fgc there are...niche subcommunities, for a lack of a better term. Basically, most capcom people tend not to stay with games like blazblue, and most BB fans tend not to care for non-airdashers like sf, mk and so on. Based on that, you can judge how communities can migrate. Your best bet for a game with long life is getting one that is brand new as it comes out, the new BB is coming in november so that will be my recommendation. A good chunk of the guilty gear fanbase will jump on it for a good while and the serious BB fans never really leave. KoF14 must have chomped off a good size of the sf5 fanbase, though it still is prolly large enough as well due to its mainstream status. Same probably goes for the american fighters too but I don't follow those at all so I can't speak about it.

klaynexas3:
So I want to ask a few questions about the general fighting game community. My biggest jump into fighting games has been Melee with my friend, and I have years of kid me playing Tekken 2-4 with my brother and a few people at an arcade that once existed near my house. I still play Melee from time to time with one of my mates, but would like to get into something different, and more closer to a 2D fighter with a health bar and the map not really making a difference outside of scenery.

My first question is this, if I am to get into a decent sized community with a game, should I stick to consoles almost as a rule, or is there a decent size community for PC on the bigger titles as well? I ask mostly due to right now not owning a gamepad for fighting games but finding that while playing BBCPE that a keyboard felt closer to a pad than a controller did, BUT I also just logged onto the same game today wanting to try an online match, only to see that no one is on. So, is this something specific to this game only, or are my chances better of almost always finding someone to play with on a console to the point that it would be worth just getting all new ones on console?

I would also ask what games have better staying power with their more hardcore communities. I know I'll always find someone playing SFV for the time being, but I feel discouraged to get it because I know in about a year or two the ultra extended combo edition will come out and from what I've seen, everyone will just leave for the new one. The same goes for series like BB and GG, as it seems to be close to the same crowd and when one of the two come out, like with the new GG, it looks like the other games become ghost towns. I'd like to start playing a game that I feel safe will have some staying power for at least a few years that I can log in and at least find another few people, not just have to play in arcade or vs mode.

All of this being said, which ones seem to be most beginner friendly, while not lacking in depth? And to go with it, which games are your favorites? I'd enjoy it much more if I had specific people I knew to play with, so I have a visable rival to combat against over just playing faceless other players, and despite what a lot of people say of this forum turning bad, I still find it one of the most respectable I've been on and wouldn't mind playing with a few of you.

Also, final question for this post, am I wrong that SFV will get abandoned once the very next thing comes out? Because it looks fun and I'd enjoy getting to try it out at least until the next Tekken release without the discouragement that all of it will be gone in a short time period.

Typically console is bigger and always has been, but PC is bigger than ever and looking better. If you can stick to both. Even if your PC is not that strong you can still play the latest 2D game for PC if thats your taste and there are always a niche of people playing online. Skullgirls is probably the only 2D fighting game in which the PC community is arguably larger than it is on console.
In general though its probably better used to play harder to play fighting games via emulation and in that regard Fightcade because it lets you play with friends. I'm preferable to PC and probably always will be, but console, at least Playstation consoles is probably better for fighting games. Although like I said before at this PC is probably better than Xbox than it was a few years ago at this point. While the Xbox 360 had a decent amount of fighting games and technically still does I just see Playstation and even PC as being much better from both the amount of games available(even just talking purchasable ones on PC) at this point especially in having the more active communities.
If you want to get Street Fighter V than you should be fine. Because of Capcom's contract with Sony it means there should only be one version of Street Fighter V. In addition one of the better things about it is that what port you get means nothing because of the crossplay letting you play with friends on either Ps4 or Pc. That said its been a while since I have played and I can say the CapcomFightersNetwork is not great last I saw. Even then the crossplay function is something to be admired. I opted for the PC version aside from being more into PC as well as the fact that I do not have to play online. That said the PC version of FAR more demanding than say Ultra Street Fighter IV so its not easy to get into unless you already made plans to get a PC with specs around whats needed. On that note if you dont mind paying for PS+ and you plan on getting a Ps4 anyway go for that version of SFV if and only if you plan on buying it at all.
Now let me say that when I like an Arc System Works game I REALLY like it a lot. Again though they are stuck in a rather aggressive arcade cycle that makes it hard to even get into it. Console players easily get the better treatment and even they are left a needy high and dry. Blazblue when it has DLC cost WAY too much. When the game comes out it always has a clock on how long it lasts before its out of date compared to the arcade version. While I get tired of other companies like Namco taking horribly long to make their home version and never bringing the west the arcade version except a few events of Tekken 7 at least when their games come out everyone is left on the same playing field even with Japan and Korean getting a year or 2 upper hand. While with Arc System Works we do have a brief window of being on the same level but the Japanese quickly keep going further because of its not long away from an arcade patch. This is why I left the Blazblue community for about a year or more. Do not let me discourage you from buying their games though. They make some truly amazing fighting games and even with Guilty Gear getting easier(which it really needed to because AC is way too much) they still have a higher skill ceiling than their main competitors while not being very hard in general. So if you are getting more into fighting games but you still feel new to 2D as far as modern ish games thats a better dev to challenge yourself with in terms of basic execution.
Also the fact that I only mean the games made by ASW themselves, since now they publish "anime" games from other compaines as well like Examu and FrenchBread. Some of those games have a similar issue like UNI but some dont. Also not all of ASW games do. Battle Fantasia while a small community is complete on PC, i dont think the console version even has those updates and GG XX Accent Core
+R is truly done on all platforms its on.

Sorry, I failed to better answer one of your earlier questions and the answer is yes, there are a fair amount of people for the bigger games on PC.

I'm going to shut myself up and await a response before trying to address anything else on what you have said. Hope I have helped.~

Dreiko:
snip

PurplePonyArcade:
snip

Thank you both for getting back to me on this. I think I've decided to pick up SFV for PC because Humble Bundle is holding a sale for it right now and I can get it for nearly half the price, and with Pony saying that you imagine it should just be this version and not going through a few other editions later down the line.

Now, as for ASW games, would either of you recommend I pick up GGXrd Revelator while waiting for Central Fiction to come to the US, or would another game of the two franchises be a better place to start? I do already have BB CPEX for my PC, and while the online appears to be dead on steam, at least in my region, there are definitely more than enough single player modes to keep me busy if I'd be better off waiting for Central Fiction's release. I ask this from a stand point of wanting to stay with a community, I realize a good few of GG fans will probably move to the new BB, but I also imagine a fair bit will stick with Revelator, or at the most play Central Fiction for a few weeks then switch back, am I wrong in this line of thinking? Also, in your experiences, are the two communities roughly the same group, do they act similar, and do you think either game has a better community? I don't want to ask specifically which game series you guys think would be better, as it seems like that is very much up in the air with most people, and so will just try and get a feel for them first to decide which I like better, and if one has a better community than the other I might prefer to stick to that one, solely because I feel that will have much better staying power than if the games themselves handle better, as that's the main reason I want to find a new fighting game, because Melee doesn't have online play, and only a few people in my area that play it are tolerable.

So I took some footage of me playing Mai on her release today; literally my first time using her after her tutorial section.

Arcsys is weird with their arcade practice. Take the new Revlator patch, that actually hit consoles before arcades. So Japan didn't have that edge.

What usually happens is that when a main entry game is released like CF, that takes a while to come to consoles, but once it does, they actually do tend to patch it in a timely fashion a lot of the time so you can make up for lost time to a degree. Also, we have some actual arcades with CF in the states, so in general the conditions are improving if you are a competitive tourneygoer like me. If you are just playing to have fun though or are just starting, you needn't worry about this stuff at all for like the next 3ish years until you get your basics down.

klaynexas3:

Dreiko:
snip

PurplePonyArcade:
snip

Thank you both for getting back to me on this. I think I've decided to pick up SFV for PC because Humble Bundle is holding a sale for it right now and I can get it for nearly half the price, and with Pony saying that you imagine it should just be this version and not going through a few other editions later down the line.

Now, as for ASW games, would either of you recommend I pick up GGXrd Revelator while waiting for Central Fiction to come to the US, or would another game of the two franchises be a better place to start? I do already have BB CPEX for my PC, and while the online appears to be dead on steam, at least in my region, there are definitely more than enough single player modes to keep me busy if I'd be better off waiting for Central Fiction's release. I ask this from a stand point of wanting to stay with a community, I realize a good few of GG fans will probably move to the new BB, but I also imagine a fair bit will stick with Revelator, or at the most play Central Fiction for a few weeks then switch back, am I wrong in this line of thinking? Also, in your experiences, are the two communities roughly the same group, do they act similar, and do you think either game has a better community? I don't want to ask specifically which game series you guys think would be better, as it seems like that is very much up in the air with most people, and so will just try and get a feel for them first to decide which I like better, and if one has a better community than the other I might prefer to stick to that one, solely because I feel that will have much better staying power than if the games themselves handle better, as that's the main reason I want to find a new fighting game, because Melee doesn't have online play, and only a few people in my area that play it are tolerable.

Revelator is not going anywhere for a year or two, it just got a free balance patch a couple months ago and in general is a great game. And yeah, BB was the spiritual succesor of GG for the time they had lost the rigts to GG so there's a lot of community overlap. Sometimes you wanna play the other game so people do definitely go back. And really, all airdashers are roughly the same community.

Oh and what is your region? Lag is an issue sobplaying nearby folks is great, east coast USA here.

Dreiko:

klaynexas3:

Dreiko:
snip

PurplePonyArcade:
snip

Revelator is not going anywhere for a year or two, it just got a free balance patch a couple months ago and in general is a great game. And yeah, BB was the spiritual succesor of GG for the time they had lost the rigts to GG so there's a lot of community overlap. Sometimes you wanna play the other game so people do definitely go back. And really, all airdashers are roughly the same community.

Oh and what is your region? Lag is an issue sobplaying nearby folks is great, east coast USA here.

East coast as well, from a majority of the reviews online it just sounds like Revelator is simply amazing, so I think I will pick that up for the time being and if any other fighting games catch my eye before Tekken 7 comes out I might pick those up as well. I ended up talking myself down from SFV because of people talking about the differences in input lag with the PC and PS4 versions, so I feel obligated to stick with the common setup and might wait for either a price drop or perhaps a combination of the vanilla with the season pass so I can pick up all the characters at once.

SF5 basically has 3ish more frames of lag than other games and the effect is that you get an unreactable slugfest where hitting buttons is too good and overheads are unreactable, good for aggressive folks, not as good for thoughtful or defensive folk. And yeah Revelator is basically all I play outside of Nitroplus Blasterz currently. If you get it I wouldn't mind crushing your sou...err...showing you some cool stuff :D.

It has the best tutorial ever too, it's like a minigame teaching you mobility and the combo system and even matchup specific things like how to beat certajn moves or tactics. Reay well thought out.

Paragon Fury:
So I took some footage of me playing Mai on her release today; literally my first time using her after her tutorial section.

Rad! I tried watching a stream with some play of her but it shut off almost right after I got there. Her projectile seems useless. That's to be expected in a 3D game but it also has no chip damage which feels weird. Her "ANDY!" yell is also the worst ever but overall I quite like how well she transitioned into DOA.

klaynexas3:

Dreiko:

klaynexas3:

East coast as well, from a majority of the reviews online it just sounds like Revelator is simply amazing, so I think I will pick that up for the time being and if any other fighting games catch my eye before Tekken 7 comes out I might pick those up as well. I ended up talking myself down from SFV because of people talking about the differences in input lag with the PC and PS4 versions, so I feel obligated to stick with the common setup and might wait for either a price drop or perhaps a combination of the vanilla with the season pass so I can pick up all the characters at once.

The input lag is an issue on both Ps4 and PC. Mainly because I think it was a weird design choice by Capcom I am not sure is intentional or a side effect because I am not that up to date on it. That's one of the criticism of the more hardcore demographic and one I can agree with. Still do not get it if you are not comfortable with it. Though I should keep the sale in mind for a friend depending on how good it is. If you have the PS3/Ps4 ready of course I recommend Xrd Revelator. Been meaning to myself but money has been tight. I would love to play CPE with you on PC I just do not have any version of the game right now unfortunately.

The FGC is weird now in that we have forced these sub groups to exist. Some blame the divide on the shift from arcade to console and all the console manufactures being a different set of competition to the arcade ones since the arcade ones all always acknowledge that they do often share their space while consoles have only sort of done that in recent years. This is also partially why I became a PC main but love console crossplay and wish more consoles would do it together.
Back to the subgroup issue. Playing Blazblue or Guilty Gear you will find is "anime" because much of the developer games use anime like visuals. Its worth noting not all these games are "air dasher" games just a vast majority. Air dasher while referring to the literal mechanic of air dashing means more air focused play. Jumping in typical fighting games is not a wise choice to do often but in air dasher games it is way more commonly applied. I or Dreiko could go more into detail with this, but this moment I will not.
Bear in mind though that a lot of stuff you learn for non air dasher games like The King Of Fighters and Street Fighter for example you can and should apply in Guilty Gear for example.
In the "anime" community a lot of us get along and a few of us don't. Quite a few players play both BB and GG like Dogura and others do not. There are even a small few arseholes in Guilty Gear that resent Blazblue, but thankfully they are less common now.
It is important to note a few different players. You will not see a whole lot of Blazblue players touch Melty Blood and you might not see Melty Blood players touch Arcana Heart. Or Guilty Gear and Melty Blood players touch Aquapazza(and frankly few do).
Even then the FGC in general does have a sort of togetherness and even with these dumb subgroups you feel that even within each part. If you play Blazblue but the guy sitting in the arcade cab or console/pc setup is one of the few people who play Battle Fantisia they still might play with you and either way give you a few basic fighting game pointers. As for meeting someone who does do the same game with you I want to say one last important thing I said to one of the previous blokes in the thread

You WILL get you arse kicked, sometimes harder than others. That is fine, it is a part of learning. Fighting games more than others in away make every battle feel unique win or loss. Obviously we want to win as much as everybody else, maybe more in a competitive setting because like all genres of competitive gaming have something on the line be it money, scholarships or just the fact in history that you where the very best like no one ever was. Being a 1v1 genre rather than bigger team ones like FPS or MOBA this can make things more thrilling and stressful knowing its just your skill and your mind versus others. For that same reason though it is important to understand the importance of losing. Just like being better requires watching better players. Do not let that tell yourself "alright, I am going to do all the cool combos that guy said and get all the rank points and money haha". Hell no, go more by the idea "alright I am going to watch this top player and learn to apply anything I can even if its only like connecting a single move at a certain time better. I am going to learn from whatever I can including this top player I am watching here and have fun doing it". This is NOT assuming you want to do competitive but you want to get better at fighting games in general. This is also why if you are playing online and they fighting game has a replay function always watch your replays win or lose. The more you learn about fighting games as you watch your old replays you will be surprised how quick you will find your mistakes. I have an old Blazblue match recorded from like several years and several games ago. I do not just watch it merely for the nostalgia of playing the game when I was younger and dumber to a fresh new game but also for having that wonderful "oh god I am so much better than I was then" feeling. Have fun.~

Looking back the community description I gave in my last comment was not great because it can describe taste in fighting games in general. It might seem especially bad coming from me of all people because I like fighting games in general and that is why I made this thread. Typically speaking though you are more likely to find other people in that fighting game variety i.e. "anime" than in other groups such as Smash or KOF.

Melty felt always second nature to me I guess cause Bang has two airdashes so I was used to the air footsies already, I have actually played through the entire Tsukihime VN too lol. And the folks who taught me GGAC (my ass is still sore, but I have also exacted my vengeance) were where I first saw it. The thing is the game has a lot of really big balnce issues so competitively it is not respected much. Still a lot of fun though.

Aquapizza though, what a tragedy. Great game, terrible netcode. It plays like a cooler KoF syle game. I also genuinely love Aquaplus titles like Tears to Tiara and Utawarerumono, but that game is relegated to offline only cause lag destroys how it feels to play it. As for Arcana, I have been to the house of the guy who runs the mizuumi wiki few times for arcana tutoring sessions and casuals, nice people. It only took 120 straight losses one day to get me to place consistently second in our tourneys back when I lived in Cali. If you never give up you improve. :D
Anime games came in to fill the need folks who like stories in games weren't getting filled from capcom games. Out of every group a portion will unavoidably end up bein competitive and it turned out enough folks existed to make a subgroup out of. It's awesome indeed.

Dreiko:
Melty felt always second nature to me I guess cause Bang has two airdashes so I was used to the air footsies already, I have actually played through the entire Tsukihime VN too lol. And the folks who taught me GGAC (my ass is still sore, but I have also exacted my vengeance) were where I first saw it. The thing is the game has a lot of really big balnce issues so competitively it is not respected much. Still a lot of fun though.

Aquapizza though, what a tragedy. Great game, terrible netcode. It plays like a cooler KoF syle game. I also genuinely love Aquaplus titles like Tears to Tiara and Utawarerumono, but that game is relegated to offline only cause lag destroys how it feels to play it. As for Arcana, I have been to the house of the guy who runs the mizuumi wiki few times for arcana tutoring sessions and casuals, nice people. It only took 120 straight losses one day to get me to place consistently second in our tourneys back when I lived in Cali. If you never give up you improve. :D
Anime games came in to fill the need folks who like stories in games weren't getting filled from capcom games. Out of every group a portion will unavoidably end up bein competitive and it turned out enough folks existed to make a subgroup out of. It's awesome indeed.

I can't agree with the story bit, especially from how painfully dull I found the story mode in Accent Core to be. Even in the anime circle fighting game suffer from trying to actually engage me with a story and adding typical anime wank that plagues games like Blazblue and especially Arcana Heart just further puts me off from ever actually playing the story mode. That said at least Blazblue tries. For all its disgusting flaws it does really care about it story and I highly respect that. So many fighting games pretend to put effort into a story and really don't that even if Blazblue's story I find mediocre at best I respect it for working hard and sticking to it. Outside of that circle I don't care for NRS games either and hate people that say "oh Mortal Kombat totally has a good story mode" which is an outright lie when like most fighting games Mortal Kombat's story is a load of old piss. Injustice fairs no better since it took some decent writing ideas and fired them into the sun in favor of typical comic book wankery, but I will say those games and Blazblue stand above most fighting games in that they actually care about their story and single player modes. NRS games prehaps more in the variation of what they let you do in single player. Variation is not always a good thing though and I would rather play eleventy billion geeneric fights in Blazblue that to have to touch another quick-time-event in Injustice because I hold a truly bitter hatred of all QTEs. On that note KOF has never been great and I practically trademarked the phrase "SNK's timelines are bullshit" because of the inconsistent ages of the characters, but even then KOF and SNK games in general do show one of the better signs of connectivity between the stories of one game to the others and do better at fleshing out character relationships than its old school playground rival Street Fighter and pretty much any Capcom fighting game.
I will still put Blazblue on my god tier of fighting game stories not because its good(to me it really is NOT) but because it feels to me like the fighting game the cares the most about its story given how much effort is put into the story modes of the home versions of the game.

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/gorilla-gaming-pro-arcade-fight-stick-ps4-ps3-pc-ps4/25566623

A new competitor enters the arcade stick ring from New Zealand? Its a pretty little stick considering you can easily change the skin which I do not like. Why is it so expensive though? Seriously, that is a bit much. For that I can maybe find a VLX re release or maybe it takes more but even then it would not take much more for it or say a board for a real cab. I wondered if it was supposed to increase availability in New Zealand or something. However there should already be plenty of sticks there and all im betting are cheaper than this. Its weird.

Dreiko:
snip

Actually the 8 frames isn't my issue with SFV, it's just that the PC version isn't consistent with the PS4 one and I know that PS4 is the standard so I'd rather wait for a price drop or a collector's edition with all characters to release before grabbing it. I can work with lag as long as it's consistent, I play enough Melee on multiple different TVs so have learned well enough to compensate for lag.

Now I'd love to get bodied in GGXrd because I know it's the best way to get better. I'm only just now able to go toe to toe with hard bots so it'd be nice to have someone give me better ins and outs in the community. If either you or Pony want to add me on PSN or Steam my username here is the same on all my platforms. Are there any older games in the BB or GG series that you two would recommend as being the gold standard at which the series is held to? Again, this is a mentality from me coming over from Melee thinking that an older one is likely to be the better one, especially in series as long standing as GG or BB.

+R is sorta that but not really as far as GG goes, BB is always the newst. Though not many people play +R any more, nothing quite like mellee, it's just that Xrd doesn't have all the chars back yet.

My psn is dreikoo (someone stole mah name so I added an extra o) so if you wanna play sometime feel free to message me, I am neck deep in persona 5 atm so I wouldn't expect to play anything else for weeks unless someone asks me for a game here and there lol.

I can add you klaynexas3 but I dont have Xrd on PC.

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition and Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition are currently only $5 as apart of the Publisher Weekend Sale for Steam.

I got Xrd for my PS4, so that's where I can be found playing it. And I might pick up MKKE, is that for X or is that for the previous one?

Also, does an import of Persona 5 come with an English option for the text? Because if so, I don't feel like waiting until next year for that.

I also ended up getting Skullgirls on Steam because it was on sale last week, though that plus BBCPEX on Steam and Xrd for PS4 that covers it for online ones that I currently have.

PurplePonyArcade:

Paragon Fury:

Rad! I tried watching a stream with some play of her but it shut off almost right after I got there. Her projectile seems useless. That's to be expected in a 3D game but it also has no chip damage which feels weird. Her "ANDY!" yell is also the worst ever but overall I quite like how well she transitioned into DOA.

Chip damage isn't really a thing in DoA - DoA is a much heavier grapple game than most fighters I've noticed, and you're expected to grab your opponent or mix it up through their defense rather than chip away at them.

klaynexas3:
I got Xrd for my PS4, so that's where I can be found playing it. And I might pick up MKKE, is that for X or is that for the previous one?

Also, does an import of Persona 5 come with an English option for the text? Because if so, I don't feel like waiting until next year for that.

I also ended up getting Skullgirls on Steam because it was on sale last week, though that plus BBCPEX on Steam and Xrd for PS4 that covers it for online ones that I currently have.

Nah Jp text only. Thankfully I have been studying jp for over a decade now so I can understand it fine. Game is so good. I got your friend invite btw, was having a food break from persona so it was well timed lol.

Saelune:
Well, theres nothing good right now, and there is no specific thing to discuss. Ive been itching for a fighting game to play, but Street Fighter V is garbage, Tekken 7 is taking forever, and Ive done most everything in Mortal Kombat X.

I'm playing MKX on PC so am greatly looking forward to the XL update. From what I've heard they greatly improved the online component, so I'll probably get into vs'ing more.

Who have been your go-to main's? I've bounced around so much and never got really good with anyone. Was ok with Sub Zero, then Quan Chi, then Mileena, Reptile, D'Vorah, Kano, Sonya, and now most recently fiddling with Scorpion. Triborg seems to be the most interesting out of the lastest kombat pack. Will probably run through the other three's stories quickly and then settle on him (or it). Predator is another I've always meant to dig into more but never did.

As you can probably see, my biggest problem with fighting games is sticking with one character long enough to get the most out of them.

This clip cracks me up -

Paragon Fury:
I love DoA, Darkstalkers and Smash.

I never liked MK or Tekken. KoF, Soul Calibur, MvC and some of the other odds and ends were okay. Didn't care for VF.

Darkstalkers and SF I used to like. But Darkstalkers hasn't gotten a new game in ages (even though it really should, but Capcom doesn't want something to compete with SF) and I got tired of SF constant roster changes and rapid iterations literally every year. SFIV was basically perfect, with my favorites (Ibuki and Cody) and then a new one I really liked (Juri). But then Ibuki and Juri didn't make the cut for SF:V's release and got added months later, along with it not coming to Xbox One made me skip it.

I still play Smash, but I'm god-fucking-awful at it. Dead or Alive is and has been my main fighting game for some time and my favorite. It's also probably the one fighting game I'm even halfway decent at.

Darkstalkers is probably my fav anime fighter. Never really got good at it, but it was always fun to play in the arcades. I also downloaded Resurrection on PSN which was still pretty fun.

Frankster:

-Mortal Kombat series: One of my favorite franchises overall due to the hyper violence, have never been good at it but it's one of those games i love win or lose due to the gory finales xD
Mk9-X makes the bulk of what i've played online on pc and xbox, but it's also where i'd get tons of hate and made me realize how i just don't really fit into the online community, this would be where i'd get tons of hate especially when playing one of my fav characters: jade. Way i played her i tried to capitalize on her staff attacks and boomerangs to harass from range and keep my distance (it's a similar style to how i play siegfried in soul calibur) and people really hated it and would let me know in rather unpleasant terms. I was always :( at making people angry to play with me so is one reason why i dropped the game, i don't usually enjoy griefing people.

I never understood why people get so mad online regardless of what the other player does. If they were good they'd know how to deal with spam, and in turn it would've probably taught you to be a better player too. I miss the days of good old arcade competition, where the biggest drawbacks were elbow room and just having to get there.

hanselthecaretaker:

Saelune:
Well, theres nothing good right now, and there is no specific thing to discuss. Ive been itching for a fighting game to play, but Street Fighter V is garbage, Tekken 7 is taking forever, and Ive done most everything in Mortal Kombat X.

I'm playing MKX on PC so am greatly looking forward to the XL update. From what I've heard they greatly improved the online component, so I'll probably get into vs'ing more.

Who have been your go-to main's? I've bounced around so much and never got really good with anyone. Was ok with Sub Zero, then Quan Chi, then Mileena, Reptile, D'Vorah, Kano, Sonya, and now most recently fiddling with Scorpion. Triborg seems to be the most interesting out of the lastest kombat pack. Will probably run through the other three's stories quickly and then settle on him (or it). Predator is another I've always meant to dig into more but never did.

As you can probably see, my biggest problem with fighting games is sticking with one character long enough to get the most out of them.

This clip cracks me up -

Throughout MK Mileena has been my consistent character. Usually my second, but since Smoke is absent (sans a fatalaty) Mileena is my main. Reptile now being my second (third in the last game). My mains in MK mostly change depending on the game. Old mains include Kano (MK1), Kitana and Jade (MK2, UMK3), and Sub-Zero. I miss Smoke though cause I was even more awesome with him last game than I am with Mileena this one.

Most other fighting games my main stays consistent.

I wonder if Triborg Smoke is as good as last game's. (I didnt even know he was a thing till that video)

Its the 2011 Mortal Kombat with all of its DLC. Also give me a ring if you are up for some Skullgirls.

Saelune:

hanselthecaretaker:

Saelune:

This clip cracks me up -

Throughout MK Mileena has been my consistent character. Usually my second, but since Smoke is absent (sans a fatalaty) Mileena is my main. Reptile now being my second (third in the last game). My mains in MK mostly change depending on the game. Old mains include Kano (MK1), Kitana and Jade (MK2, UMK3), and Sub-Zero. I miss Smoke though cause I was even more awesome with him last game than I am with Mileena this one.

I wonder if Triborg Smoke is as good as last game's. (I didnt even know he was a thing till that video)

I can't say much of Mortal Kombat X in general since I still have a bias against it, but I am glad you are having fun. During the free beta week on PC I played a a few characters and the one I played the most was D'Vorah.

PurplePonyArcade:

Saelune:

I can't say much of Mortal Kombat X in general since I still have a bias against it, but I am glad you are having fun. During the free beta week on PC I played a a few characters and the one I played the most was D'Vorah.

Mortal Kombat is my favorite fighting game series.

Well, I did finally get Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator.

Shame ABA and Bridget aren't in it (specially Bridget). But Elphelt is pretty awesome in her own right atleast. So I atleast stil have a main for that game.

Saelune:

PurplePonyArcade:

Saelune:

Then have you some fun.

PurplePonyArcade:

Saelune:

PurplePonyArcade:

Then have you some fun.

Until XL comes out on Steam, I wont. As I said at the start of the topic, Street Fighter V is utter garbage, and Tekken 7 is taking forever to come out.

I should probably speak a little better on that. While I have not had the best relationship with Mortal Kombat I certainly do not hate it. I hate X to a degree but that is one game in a huge franchise that while I am quick to insult with no remorse I do not even dislike it. I love fighting games as a whole and that combined with my lack of overall disliking of it has kept me intrigued enough to study and observer it as it grows with the rest of the genre.
Now I am here right now trying not to bad talk the series, but do bear with me if you can. Also feel free to criticize any of my beloved favourites my top two being Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Achse. In fact forget it, ill pull some out instead and you do more if you feel like it. Sasquatch is insanely good, Morrigan's sprite looked fine then but it aged badly from all her later appearances, Jedah(haha, personal taste joke) is not top tier, and barely better than the lowest characters and while the game's foaming-out-the-mouth speed thrills me to an almost erotic level it is way too off putting for some people and I get that. Some of the execution it needs also feels kind of old in this day in age but it was 1997.

In the recent decade I have sort of felt Mortal Kombat looked more casual to some of its typical fighting game cousins, as well as it and all fighting games central parent Street Fighter. Other games just felt like they required a bit more finesse and had respect for that while Mortal Kombat skill meant little to the level of comedic cartoony gore. Not that its a bad thing, heavens no. I appreciate that people can take one game and enjoy it in so many different ways. I am also aware of Mortal Kombat's arcade presence making it by default pretty hard compared to the average game. Even I felt a little bit overwhelmed by my earliest AI opponents though I am not sure if that was so much the AI or me barely knowing the controls and I swear making blocking a button function exists purely to confuse and agonize me. Not that Mortal Kombat is the only one guilty of that crime. Perhaps the better off criminal since all of the other games I know that did would do so years after Mortal Kombat came. I also think that for a series I touch only here and there Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is pretty damn good by that standard. I honestly regret saying that for the cabs and arcade boards I have seen I have still not seen one for UMK3 and hope to soon.
I also want to say with the last few iterations I know Mortal Kombat and NRS in general have been making their fighting games to appeal to a more competitive player base and I applaud them for that. I played a surprising lot of Mortal Kombat 9 when a friend gave it to me. Much more than Injustice because Injustice is fundamentally better than Mortal Kombat and a I feel should be declared "best fighting game by this dev ever" but as I have said before the game just puts me off too much with its spectacle and cinema and comic book nonsense than actual gameplay. Maybe the comic book nonsense was fine if it went less into the generic story and more into gameplay. Marvel Vs Capcom proved how fun that can be, extremely. So I like MK9 much more than Injustice even if I feel Injustice is a better made fighting game and respect it for that. Mortal Kombat X again I have a certain level of hatred for but yes I can finally be mature enough and agree it is a better version of Injustice and the previous Mortal Kombat. I know it puts a strong emphasis on gameplay without fans telling me and does it very well. How? Because during the time I had my free trial and now I have still been working on my rig and that meant it had issues running the game. Yet somehow I still had a lot of fun and that is pretty damned impressive. Also shoutout to brutalities. I never liked Fatalities, or babalities, or any other boring bullshit finishing move because I am a boring lamer who prefers good fights over boring and overly drawn out endings to fights. So the brutality thing works with the flow better. Not to sound like Yahtzee, in fact I wish he would either stop reviewing fighting games or during the rare times he does do another developer for a change.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here