Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

I wanted to eventually do a post based around a few random fighting game facts mainly for casuals/newcommers to the genre but also as something more seasoned players might not have know. Just do not know if that is the most appropriate thing for the thread or not as also at the moment I am very tired.

PurplePonyArcade:
I have always had an issue getting too into Guilty Gear. I clicked with Blazblue right away but did not with Guilty Gear and still feel the growth of the relationship might be a bit slow. Forgive me if I already said that in this thread and forgot.
As I said I REALLY like and respect Daisuke as an artist, composer, developer, and designer and do not dislike the Guilty Gear series. I just do not like it as much as I wish I did.

I would probably say the same thing for BlazBlue. But my gripes with it are mostly the actual game mechanics and some of the characters. Centralfiction has some absolutely despicable shit. I'm still going to play the hell out of it but want to stick with GG as the main focus.

Anyone here messed around with actual arcade hardware? Cabs, boards, game boards, wiring and such.

PurplePonyArcade:
Anyone here messed around with actual arcade hardware? Cabs, boards, game boards, wiring and such.

If by messed around you mean wheeling a UMK3 cabinet out of the arcade and into the hallway of a vacant university center on winter break, and borrowing an extension cord from a friend up the road to reach the only live outlets in the place, then yeah, been there.

I have never seen a Mortal Kombat cab in person before.

PurplePonyArcade:

Really? Most of the arcades I know have disappeared in the last decade, but before that there was always an MK in them.

I don't think mk was very known in europe. I do remember sf2 arcades though.

Dreiko:

You like ASW games even though you live in Europe? That's impressive, and probably hard.
At least Mortal Kombat exists in Europe even if less popular. That is way more than what you can say about Japan and east Asia even while WB tried some sort of cup there the games hardly even exist. Which might be a reason I could enjoy those areas lol.

*checks back thread and browses a bit*

Still waiting on a sale before i dip my toes into street fighter on pc so got nothing to add atm.

But :( that I seem to be the only one who likes fatalities in Mortal Kombat.
Brutalities are cool too and might be better for the flow, but there is no better way to end a fight imo then sending the opponent into an acid pool or a bed of sharp spikes. Stage fatalities ftw, followed by the more gruesome vanilla fatalities for me. I guess I'm just a gore freak (in fiction anyways).

hanselthecaretaker:

PurplePonyArcade:

If by messed around you mean wheeling a UMK3 cabinet out of the arcade and into the hallway of a vacant university center on winter break, and borrowing an extension cord from a friend up the road to reach the only live outlets in the place, then yeah, been there.

Even the faintest arcade memories I have from the past I never saw a cab for the series. In recent years NRS games have a bit of a scene in a room of the event I got to but never is there any fighting games in arcade area and that is a highly active part of Final Round. For all of the Capcom, SNK, Namco boards, and even one year of having more obscure titles like Akatsuki Blitzkmapf I have never seen a Mortal Kombat cab or board.

Frankster:

Still waiting on a sale before i dip my toes into street fighter on pc so got nothing to add atm.

Brutalities are cool too and might be better for the flow, but there is no better way to end a fight imo then sending the opponent into an acid pool or a bed of sharp spikes. Stage fatalities ftw, followed by the more gruesome vanilla fatalities for me. I guess I'm just a gore freak (in fiction anyways).

If that is what you enjoy then good. Do yourself some justice and keep liking what you like. As I said before I just find fatality moves boring and stupid and break the flow of the game and that hurts worse when some of the games are already kind of slow. I am glad I found more people that agree that brutalities are better for the flow and feel more like a reward than a boring ceremony but if you prefer fatalities that is all fine and good mate.

PurplePonyArcade:

Dreiko:

You like ASW games even though you live in Europe? That's impressive, and probably hard.
At least Mortal Kombat exists in Europe even if less popular. That is way more than what you can say about Japan and east Asia even while WB tried some sort of cup there the games hardly even exist. Which might be a reason I could enjoy those areas lol.

You guys were talking about arcades of the past I believe. Back then I indeed lived in Europe but I've been in the US for over a decade already. Back in Greece I used to be just a causual though, mainly played mashy simple games like tekken and soul calibur with friends and family. I didn't really know much of anything until I got bbct lol.

Frankster:

I like them, even if I don't really bother with the MK series very often. MKX had some really good ones.

I actually think MKX is a pretty legit fighting game as well. At least, much more than MK9 ever was.

PurplePonyArcade:

Mortal Kombat cabs (specifically MK2) were the only ones I saw or could have had access to in my youth (deep south U.S.). I haven't seen a single cab of a fighting game I actually tried to be decent at, ever, so basically none after 2009. At least now I could theoretically drive up to Seattle and see/play on a Nesica cab with BBCF...if I could afford to drive up there.

X is fundamentally a better game and what Injustice should have been. That said I felt nothing but bitter hatred for Mortal Kombat X for quite sometime. Yes I bang on too much about the DLC but I feel like I am the only one who does. Between the microtransaction fatalities there is also the auto unlock DLC for all the Krypt content and that just ruins the spirit of the whole thing and makes it harder for people defending NRS games for their single player content to me. Yes they have a lot and that just kind of ruins it at least on the side of enjoying investing time unlocking stuff. Besides that take all of usual whining about its terrible DLC practices and put them in a basket. For the record I am aware a date is set for the fixed PC version but the fact remains that the game is still a mess on PC that used to be worse with the last patch being so bad it had to be removed making it a worse version of the recent Street Fighter V malware patch. Then take the other things it does wrong like screwing over the entire PC user base who gave the game a lot of sales in a basket next to it. All of that and more and it felt like no one but the PC fans that bought it complained about the game at all. As far as bad practices I summarized it as "Street Fighter X Tekken: Part II. Since it used a lot of the same shitty practices that game did being DLC heavy and locking content(I am ware as a buyer of that game that it had FAR worse than the way MKX did it since it was fully finished while MKX's was only partially so but it was still partially playable so it counts to me).
That game was a massive failure as it should have been. It was such a mess and to many is why Namco put horrible delays on their version probably for fear to avoid association though it also may be the console changes the industry took. I believe it cost Capcom around 2 billion dollars if memory serves and reports are correct and that makes me happy even if the game being ruined by that makes me highly sad. The fact that it has never been featured in Capcom's Pro Tour despite the fact that they should still have the rights to the game and push the tour hard should show what a failure it is. Out comes Mortal Kombat X doing what most sensible people could call bad DLC and some more debating on if its worse than the former and of course that game sells insanely well because its goddamn Mortal Kombat and for all it does to actually be a good fighting game to some the others just want the causal thrill of excessive gore and others only flocking to it because its a big name. Then it got fighting game of the year awards(get fucked) like I figured it would.

Let me clarify that again if you like Mortal Kombat X I ask that you keep doing that and just have fun. That is what gaming is about after all. Just though I should give more of a reason as to why I resent the game so much.

Sleepy Sol:

PurplePonyArcade:
I have always had an issue getting too into Guilty Gear. I clicked with Blazblue right away but did not with Guilty Gear and still feel the growth of the relationship might be a bit slow. Forgive me if I already said that in this thread and forgot.
As I said I REALLY like and respect Daisuke as an artist, composer, developer, and designer and do not dislike the Guilty Gear series. I just do not like it as much as I wish I did.

I would probably say the same thing for BlazBlue. But my gripes with it are mostly the actual game mechanics and some of the characters. Centralfiction has some absolutely despicable shit. I'm still going to play the hell out of it but want to stick with GG as the main focus.

Despicable how? I'm curious as I find the exceed accel and active flow to change the pace well

As for me, I love Blazblue; its characters are fun and over the top, mechanics feel fleshed out and the music is on point. I even love the goofy absurd story

I'm now just stuck between Hakumen or Nine as a main, who is better?

Carl is bonkers since EA lets him do a free Nirvana pull and initiate pressure even if you block it and he doesn't care about killing her now due to the new OD systems which heal her often, Nine has a + on block unreactable overhead spell (ice ice fire) that tracks combos from 3C and can be followed up and done while jumping, insane backdash teleports that compete with FRKZ, Azrael has a dp, Izanami has infinite guard points on everything as long as she has barrier, a command grab that steals barrier and can do ground nornals up in the air and they become overheads, the changes to OD and addition of active flow which restores burst gauge quickly (half of it in ten seconds) make chars who get resources by ODing like Hakumen Izayoi Tsubaki Rachel Valk and Arakune much stronger and some were already very good. Just a couple things. Nine is S tier and Haku A so both are solid but she is much better.

Xrd made GG the less complex of the two series, though, as I love depth, BB is obviously my favorite. Everyone is insane now. Bang explosive Ds lessgo.

Oh and tomorrow the revelator patch will hit. Though I am still on persona 5 so I will likely only test it a bit. 105 hours and no end in sight for P5, such an amazin game.

Izanagi009:
Despicable how? I'm curious as I find the exceed accel and active flow to change the pace well

As for me, I love Blazblue; its characters are fun and over the top, mechanics feel fleshed out and the music is on point. I even love the goofy absurd story

I'm now just stuck between Hakumen or Nine as a main, who is better?

Some (if not most) characters just have extremely grimy shit. Like way too good shit. Nine is one of those characters. Like Dreiko says, she's got a lot of stuff that puts her above a large majority of the cast. There aren't a whole lot of really bad aspects about her character mechanically. Same deal with characters like Izanami, Izayoi, etc.

I think BBCF has gone a bit overboard with mechanics but not in a way that kills the game. It's not what I prefer but I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of it. I'm not quite sure why there needed to be OD attacks, though. Or why they need to do 4k damage by just pressing OD again in Active Flow.

But hell if it doesn't make the game more exciting.

Revelator patch tomorrow doesn't even matter that much for Slayer. 6K is less useless and Helter Skelter actually works like it should have already. So exciting. :|

The thing is that the only realistic way of obtaining AF is landing an unbuffed accel which does no min damage so the 4k versions are honestly irrelevant 90% of the time. By the time you get AF nornally you will likely have already burst since otherwise you will win before getting it to go off as it takes a really long time to trigger without accels. Also, bursting during it instantly ends it. The main benefit it has is burst recharge and chars with really good ODs benefit the most. Though I will say that EAs shouldn't be as safe on block.

But yeah, the game is like AC was back in the day, pretty much everyone has insane stuff so it retains balance. Top tiers are just slightly more practical and efficient, or are Carl who always was a problem child.

Central Fiction home version confirmed for November 1st in the states? I can dig it.

PurplePonyArcade:
Central Fiction home version confirmed for November 1st in the states? I can dig it.

yeah the more I see of this game the more hype I get. I really enjoyed the Remix Heart manga and now that Mai is in the game... he's reason enough for me to want to buy this game :P

PurplePonyArcade

I bought MKX on PC and have had very little issue with it after about 210 hours logged. But that's almost entirely offline as I mostly get throttled online especially at this point. I mainly play to unlock the content. My PC technically doesn't meet the min CPU spec but I can still get 50-60 frames with max textures and some other settings lowered. Plus DS4 has native support in Windows 10 so it's the best of both worlds.

Next week can't come soon enough!

Blade Arcus from Shining: Battle Arena now has a Steam demo for those who want to try before buy.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/446040/

Mained that game from the time it came out till Revelator hit, absolutely awesome. If you told me a couple years back that Saya would be in a fighter and that it would come to the west I'd call you insane. Sadly very few competent people played it and even fewer stayed with it, it's one of those Japan/local community only titles like arcana heart...and hey it is made by the same folks and has Aino Heart in it as well XD.

Anyone up for some games on that as well speak up, I main Saya (obviously hehe), subs are Saber Muramasa Homura and Heart.

Thats a reason why coming to a new platform is a good thing late or not.

It really won't matter unless it has cross play though. at best maybe a tenth of the people will be on it, and a tenth of mostly dead is still mostly dead XD. The people who tend to play these kinds of games competently enough already own ps3s since the games tend to be exclusive on ps3 most of the time. Love Max came to the pc too some years later but it didn't affect much sadly.

Dreiko:
It really won't matter unless it has cross play though. at best maybe a tenth of the people will be on it, and a tenth of mostly dead is still mostly dead XD. The people who tend to play these kinds of games competently enough already own ps3s since the games tend to be exclusive on ps3 most of the time. Love Max came to the pc too some years later but it didn't affect much sadly.

Everything needs crossplay to be honest.

Yeah, at least thy have ps3-ps4 crossplay.

Dreiko:
Yeah, at least thy have ps3-ps4 crossplay.

Sony needs to give off their high horse and start letting it happens with other like Street Fighter V(one of the few things that game does right that no one has any right to complain about) and I think Rocket League has that now?
Whatever, I just know of the people willing Sony is the least cooperative and Nintendo has not even put their cards on the table yet probably due to lack of interest on ports for their current platform. Even then I want to see more because its healthy for gamers.

It isn't sony really. The developers aren't even bringin half the games to the pc so they have no plans for cross play. Some may get brought as an afterthought years later to milk dead games that nobody who is competitive plays any more but by that point they won't go on and add cross play where it wasn't before. They have to release the game with the desire for it to have it from day 1 and when they don't even plan to release the game on pc at all in the first place most of the time but only do it to milk casuals in the laziest form possible of course they won't plan for a cross play system either.

Frankster:

Despite the topic suggesting this is about all fighting games, its mostly excluded discussion on games like Mortal Kombat for anime/"dasher" games.

Saelune:

Frankster:

Despite the topic suggesting this is about all fighting games, its mostly excluded discussion on games like Mortal Kombat for anime/"dasher" games.

Actually I encourage you to talk about Mortal Kombat as well, and any fighting game you please, even if its strange stuff like Shrek Super Slam or ugh...Clay Fighter. The latter apparently having a remake that should have been canned now with the company selling off all its assets.

If I am not mistaken, and I am often, Mortal Kombat Armageddon still has the biggest fighting game roster ever?

PurplePonyArcade:

Saelune:

Frankster:

Actually I encourage you to talk about Mortal Kombat as well, and any fighting game you please, even if its strange stuff like Shrek Super Slam or ugh...Clay Fighter. The latter apparently having a remake that should have been canned now with the company selling off all its assets.

Would help if it wasnt mostly you and Dreiko talking indirectly (quoting isnt a bad thing, it lets people know you are talking to them) about other games.

Saelune:

Frankster:

I sincerely apologize for coming off the wrong way. I strongly encourage a tolerance in difference in taste and in game and encourage you all to talk of the fighting games you love no matter what they are and talk whatever you please here as long as its orderly and relates to fighting games. Again, many apologies.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here