Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 23 NEXT

Maximum Bert:

PurplePonyArcade:
I cannot mentally handle Eventhubs anymore.

Yup its not exactly very good for news on anything except about Street Fighter and by extension pretty much SFV. Whats that a new fighter is coming out? ah nah screw it lets do a headline article on this new CFN profile character again. Also seriously side topic but whoever writes those CFN profiles they either have the easiest job in the world or they have a stupid work load and would rather not do this as well they are just so bad an acute case of quantity over quality and to hell with having any sort of lore.

I sometimes go back dont know why I guess I just hope against hope they have actually expanded their scope and uplifted their quality but it seems clicks are mostly what they are interested in and SF does that well. I know they were originally just a SF site but I think if they were going to widen it then they should have made a conscious effort to provide a wide ranging amount of content as possible in regards to fighters if they do not want to or cannot then they should have just stayed as a SF site (even though they pretty are just that, and not even a great one at that).

They do have a good layout and comment system though imo and I feel that helps them immensely.

Also just so people know Skullgirls is getting a limited physical release so if anyone wants to pre order it (only way you can get one I believe as they are made to pre order) you can head over to

https://www.limitedrungames.com/collections/games
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Thank you very much for posting this here.

Would not recommend it if you just want to play the game though as the digital version is far cheaper.

My SRK experience is best summed up as this:

-Get linked to cool soundin srk article
-Read an article that sounds like it comes from the perspective of a biased competitor to the content because it isn't capcom-made
-Read comments that generally function under the presumption that the article's subject is less significant than capcom stuff
-Make a comment or two correcting especially frustrating inaccuracies
-Give up on them further and go away

I especially remember this one article where someone had written an e-book about how to get into fighting games. Not SF, just fighting games, but the whole book and article treated the way SF plays as the one way fighters are. I made a ton of posts in various comment trees in that one, explaining stuff, saying that the book needed a different name or a chapter for each style as a lot of stuff it posited did not apply at all to some games. That was the height of productivity in my time there, and it was basically yelling at ignorant folks for a couple of days. Not fun lol.

Book to get into fighters? are you on about the one Gootecks wrote or the other one by Patrick Miller? I would assume there are others ofc as well.

I have read the one by Gootecks because I got it for free and I wanted something else to read on the long haul flight. I did not learn much tbh and it got kinda hard to read as its fairly dry. Not a terrible book by any means but its a book on how to play SF first and foremost which is not a problem except it says it for all fighters which is untrue except in the broadest sense possible.

Never read the one by Patrick Miller maybe one day I will along with Daigos book but before that I have a stack of about 30 other books I want to read.

Where you go is all down to preference really same with what games you like. If I want SF stuff I would try Eventhubs and Shoryuken if I want Arc stuff I go to Dustloop if I want DOA I go to Free step dodge, Skullgirls I go to Skullhearts, Mortal Kombat I try Test your Might etc.

Only way you are going to get better at fighters is by practice and losing over and over and over again while considering why you lost and trying to fix those reasons. Also I suggest not to make winning your priority only to get better which I believe Dreiko already said but I echo his sentiment.

EDIT: Gootecks book says it about SF I remembered wrong. As such I have no problem with it as it is labelled correctly.

Dreiko:
My SRK experience is best summed up as this:

-Get linked to cool soundin srk article
-Read an article that sounds like it comes from the perspective of a biased competitor to the content because it isn't capcom-made
-Read comments that generally function under the presumption that the article's subject is less significant than capcom stuff
-Make a comment or two correcting especially frustrating inaccuracies
-Give up on them further and go away

I especially remember this one article where someone had written an e-book about how to get into fighting games. Not SF, just fighting games, but the whole book and article treated the way SF plays as the one way fighters are. I made a ton of posts in various comment trees in that one, explaining stuff, saying that the book needed a different name or a chapter for each style as a lot of stuff it posited did not apply at all to some games. That was the height of productivity in my time there, and it was basically yelling at ignorant folks for a couple of days. Not fun lol.

I get the ebook thing. The sad thing to me is that SRK has arguably more of a reason to have a Capcom bias than Escrubs because they are also related to the Evo staff. Yet Eventscubs seems several times more pathetically Capcom biased by far to me.

Lufia Erim:
So what do you guys do when you hit a slum as well as your own personal skill ceiling?

I'm currently having that problem at the moment with SFV. I reached Gold rank and as soon as i did, i seem to be losing every second game. Now i know im not the best, and reaching Gold has really humbled my ass, but i can't seem to improve.

I main as Ibuki ( after having mained R.mika), and i feel like my opponents are psychic or something. My biggest weakness i would say is my throw game. I couldn't tech a throw to save my life. Other than that my footsie game is subpar at best.

So what are you guys advice for growing as a player after hitting your personal ceiling

Keep playing with other people, preferably IRL and ask them about your fights. If they are better than you they can tell you all the places you go wrong during the match. If you are doing random online play then watch replays of your matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24Fo-lTEVk

Well I did not see that coming.

Heads up, BBCF is out in the US and Es is free for download for the next 7 days, even if you don't own the actual game you can dl her so jump at it!

Maximum Bert:
Book to get into fighters? are you on about the one Gootecks wrote or the other one by Patrick Miller? I would assume there are others ofc as well.

I have read the one by Gootecks because I got it for free and I wanted something else to read on the long haul flight. I did not learn much tbh and it got kinda hard to read as its fairly dry. Not a terrible book by any means but its a book on how to play SF first and foremost which is not a problem except it says it for all fighters which is untrue except in the broadest sense possible.

Never read the one by Patrick Miller maybe one day I will along with Daigos book but before that I have a stack of about 30 other books I want to read.

Where you go is all down to preference really same with what games you like. If I want SF stuff I would try Eventhubs and Shoryuken if I want Arc stuff I go to Dustloop if I want DOA I go to Free step dodge, Skullgirls I go to Skullhearts, Mortal Kombat I try Test your Might etc.

Only way you are going to get better at fighters is by practice and losing over and over and over again while considering why you lost and trying to fix those reasons. Also I suggest not to make winning your priority only to get better which I believe Dreiko already said but I echo his sentiment.

I think it was Patrick's. Basically the book was named something along the lines of "beginner's guide to fighting games" but only spoke about SF such that for example some of the advice given was that jumping is bad. It might be for SF but games like Melty or BB have air footsies so telling beginners to not jump is factually bad advice. The presumption was that only SF exists or matters, it permeated everything about it. When you write a book about fighting games in the plural tense, you need a chapter for each style or you need to call the book a sf-specific book.

Dreiko:
Heads up, BBCF is out in the US and Es is free for download for the next 7 days, even if you don't own the actual game you can dl her so jump at it!

Dont suppose you know if that deal will be on in Europe? I stupidly accidentally ordered the EU version now I get to pay higher prices wait longer for release (although not much longer this time it seems) and get less benefits yay! I know the Dizzy DLC was not free for Revelator in EU luckily I bought the US copy of that game.

Free DLC is not there atm but then the game is not out here yet until friday (and I am away all weekend to a wedding.....well cant be to upset as should be lots of beer). Guess I will find out Tuesday one way or another.

Edit: She is free which is a very pleasant surprise. Get her quickly if you have the EU version of the game.

My instinct would say she won't be free. I don't think the EU publisher for BB gives a damn lol. I still have nightmares about that EU BBCT cover.

Dreiko:
My instinct would say she won't be free. I don't think the EU publisher for BB gives a damn lol. I still have nightmares about that EU BBCT cover.

I just got my big box and I am happy. Do not know when/if I will play the game but maybe later.

Yeah I'm up for games whenever really, psn is dreikoo so shoot me a message when the time is right.

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:
So what do you guys do when you hit a slum as well as your own personal skill ceiling?

I'm currently having that problem at the moment with SFV. I reached Gold rank and as soon as i did, i seem to be losing every second game. Now i know im not the best, and reaching Gold has really humbled my ass, but i can't seem to improve.

I main as Ibuki ( after having mained R.mika), and i feel like my opponents are psychic or something. My biggest weakness i would say is my throw game. I couldn't tech a throw to save my life. Other than that my footsie game is subpar at best.

So what are you guys advice for growing as a player after hitting your personal ceiling

Keep playing with other people, preferably IRL and ask them about your fights. If they are better than you they can tell you all the places you go wrong during the match. If you are doing random online play then watch replays of your matches.

There is a scene in my city ( montreal) but the problem is I'm a little asocial, i have a lot of trouble talking to people i don't know IRL. Especially since everyone seems to know each other. They host weeklies and monthlies, but i kind of lack the courage to try and insert myself to an already established circle.

Lufia Erim:

PurplePonyArcade:

Lufia Erim:

There is a scene in my city ( montreal) but the problem is I'm a little asocial, i have a lot of trouble talking to people i don't know IRL. Especially since everyone seems to know each other. They host weeklies and monthlies, but i kind of lack the courage to try and insert myself to an already established circle.

Do not let that stop you. Fun Fact: I am EXTREMELY antisocial to the point of basically classifying it as a series mental disorder. The level of ills and anxiety I get around people is unpleasant and unusual and that does not exactly fully leave me around events. Even then I am still filled with more of a sense of peace and at home than I do in any other social environment than I do at tournaments and at some cons. Maybe your local scene is not big enough to hold a tournament and maybe it is. Point is for me going to my local is one of the healthier social things I do and frankly I wish i had the money to do it more often since it is changing for the better in regards to how I socialize. Maybe the results you get going will not be as positive as mine but from my own experience I can only recommend that you please try and best of luck.

Well Lufia in addition to my previous statement I should make this painfully clear that you should never been afraid of losing because that is as inevitable as the tide turning and the sun setting. To get better you must lose. I have already said this though and maybe you already knew regardless. That and maybe you fear lies less with losing and more with the fear of socializing itself. As I have said I am no stranger to that. All I can say there is suck it up and find an opponent. If thats hard than bring a friend and I know its hard for me personally to find a friend with that level of interest in fighting games(any at all) but they still may be interested and seeing whats going on at will push you in the right direction in the way you likely find the most confortable. I wish you great luck in your fightan pursuits comrade.

PurplePonyArcade:
Well Lufia in addition to my previous statement I should make this painfully clear that you should never been afraid of losing because that is as inevitable as the tide turning and the sun setting. To get better you must lose. I have already said this though and maybe you already knew regardless. That and maybe you fear lies less with losing and more with the fear of socializing itself. As I have said I am no stranger to that. All I can say there is suck it up and find an opponent. If thats hard than bring a friend and I know its hard for me personally to find a friend with that level of interest in fighting games(any at all) but they still may be interested and seeing whats going on at will push you in the right direction in the way you likely find the most confortable. I wish you great luck in your fightan pursuits comrade.

I want to ask. Forgive me if this is too foward, if you prefer to PM me or not answer thats fine. But i am curious to how your first tournament went out first few) went. seeing as you say you're asocial it could help me set a realistic expectation.

Of course i don't expect to win, i actually watch the streams when people from my town play. it's just i haven't made the step to go out and play with them.

I wish i had a friend that enjoyed Fighting games. The few friends i have prefer to play Fps's online. Any attempt to get them to play and appreciate fighting games has failed miserably , it is a very niche genre.

Here or PM, whichever you prefer.

To a scene, newcomers are a precious resource. You never know when a diamond in the rough will show up and you always wanna face nww competition. Disregard the social aspect, you are there because you love the game. Once that shared love for the game is evident, the social part follows organically and effortlessly.

You don't go there to talk with people, you go there to have good matches. Focusing on that and then just going with the flow is all you really need to do at first.

I have had the experience of being good enough to win at my locals from day one due to a lot of time spent at the games I play. but even bad players are fully welcome. You just need to not have attitude about stuff and not be arrogant. Be willing to learn as well as teach.

Akuma is Street Fighter V is more than welcomed by me but Capcom has a lot of work to do to convince me to play again after the rootkit incident even if it is gone.

PurplePonyArcade:
Capcom has a lot of work to do to convince me to play again after the rootkit incident even if it is gone.

Capcom isn't one of those developers that is ever remotely apologetic or regretful of anything they do. They are very much a Japanese corporation where admitting mistake is a huge no-no. They work in their own bubble and will continue with their own set of priorities which mainly revolve around pushing out DLC. You can forget about any quality of life improvements like shortening of menu transitions, fixing loading times, training stage saving settings, physics clipping issues, etc etc.

Due to their extremely tiny and loyal playerbase, it seems fighting game devs can get away with pretty much anything and receive little to no media backlash for it.

Also this might be just me, but I'm finding SFV tournaments mind-numbingly boring to watch. In USF4 a lot of matches were genuinely entertaining and practically everything with Daigo/Tokido/etc was hype. But in SFV you can like 10 matches and maybe 1 of them will have something exciting/hype/memorable in them.

Every pro player seems to do the same shit with every character - mash lights/mediums in neutral hoping for counterhit, dash-up + grab, shimmy, and 50/50 throw loops in the corner.

Heads up! Today is the last day Es will be free. Don't miss out on her greatsword goodness.

Also I have yet to play anyone from here on bbcf and I've been online every night. We need to rectify this. :D

Dreiko:
Heads up! Today is the last day Es will be free. Don't miss out on her greatsword goodness.

Also I have yet to play anyone from here on bbcf and I've been online every night. We need to rectify this. :D

Well shit, I missed her. I dont play on console much but if you mean "every night" ill see what I can do.

Nah I think you have today as well, timezones etc.

Yuuki:

PurplePonyArcade:
Capcom has a lot of work to do to convince me to play again after the rootkit incident even if it is gone.

Capcom isn't one of those developers that is ever remotely apologetic or regretful of anything they do. They are very much a Japanese corporation where admitting mistake is a huge no-no. They work in their own bubble and will continue with their own set of priorities which mainly revolve around pushing out DLC. You can forget about any quality of life improvements like shortening of menu transitions, fixing loading times, training stage saving settings, physics clipping issues, etc etc.

Due to their extremely tiny and loyal playerbase, it seems fighting game devs can get away with pretty much anything and receive little to no media backlash for it.

Also this might be just me, but I'm finding SFV tournaments mind-numbingly boring to watch. In USF4 a lot of matches were genuinely entertaining and practically everything with Daigo/Tokido/etc was hype. But in SFV you can like 10 matches and maybe 1 of them will have something exciting/hype/memorable in them.

Every pro player seems to do the same shit with every character - mash lights/mediums in neutral hoping for counterhit, dash-up + grab, shimmy, and 50/50 throw loops in the corner.

Es hype made me miss this. But yeah you're right. the game is fun to play and boring to watch. This is because in the past people complained combos were too hard so they made them easy, which in turn makes it boring since now everyone can do the optimal combos so they never do the easier ones. In the past you would only have a few people do then so they'd feel special but not any more. When watching the best shows you nothing about the character and only about their personal skill and reaction times, you have a boring game to watch.

This is why I prefer blazblue, so much freedom to imbue the chars with your prefered playstyle and always new things to discover, lets fight, psn is dreikoo. :D

I respectfully disagree but then I do not watch much of either anymore. I just find Street Fighter V better to play and watch than any of IV.

I had to lose my PS3 cable TODAY of all days godammit. I may buy Es as self punishment and I do mean punishment since I despie Arc System Works DLC even more than Capcom(in most cases). Still i hope everyone is enjoying Central Fiction! And any other fighting gam ever since thats what this thread is about.

You can log on to psn from a pc too lol. Alas, I think she is gone.

I'm looking for people who can help me improve at Killer Instinct....

Nature Guardian:

Righto then! Not my strongest game but its my duty here to do what I can. Aside from copy-pasting typical fighting game tips you may or may not already know im struggling to find out where to start. I suppose I will ask who you mainly play and pretend I know what I am talking about. Personally I mainly play Hisako and that is about it due to playing the free version but I hope my basic understandings can help you some. In addition I hope we can play as well since I am using the PC version but it runs off Xbox Live and all so we will see.

I tried burst-bait-the-game at locals, I liked the fire breathing Velociraptor, burst baiting with a slow button into the bait seemed good, beyond that, I can't offer much advice. Good luck though.

PurplePonyArcade:

Nature Guardian:

Righto then! Not my strongest game but its my duty here to do what I can. Aside from copy-pasting typical fighting game tips you may or may not already know im struggling to find out where to start. I suppose I will ask who you mainly play and pretend I know what I am talking about. Personally I mainly play Hisako and that is about it due to playing the free version but I hope my basic understandings can help you some. In addition I hope we can play as well since I am using the PC version but it runs off Xbox Live and all so we will see.

Hey, cool avatar you got there. My favorite Darkstalkers character!!

I main Riptor, but I also like Aria and Thunder. There's also many other awesome characters I want to learn, but I know I should try to focus on two-three of them at max.

There's crossplay between Xbox and PC in this game, so how about we share each other's ids?

Nature Guardian:

PurplePonyArcade:

Nature Guardian:

Hey, cool avatar you got there. My favorite Darkstalkers character!!

I main Riptor, but I also like Aria and Thunder. There's also many other awesome characters I want to learn, but I know I should try to focus on two-three of them at max.

There's crossplay between Xbox and PC in this game, so how about we share each other's ids?

I do not know what your average fighting game knowledge is so I do not know if you know more or less than I do or more on KI or fighting games in general. I am fond of Riptor as well but can't play her outside Shadow Lords mode right now. If I am not mistaken doesn't Instinct mode Thunder have the best dash in the game?
Anyway I really want to learn Riptor but can't tell you anything useful about her. Aria seems like the biggest thing is to know when to use each of her bodies and when to switch. With most characters the thing I personally am trying to learn the most is the damage and when to stop. The game itself already says the better combo starters and enders and that is pretty nice. Seriously, the frame date for each move on the move list itself!? Why do more fighting games NOT do this? Its one of the best things done in a fighting game move list and Killer Instinct. That and instinct cancelling is pretty simple but its something you should not forget to do.

Just finished the main story in Blazblue Central Fiction and have to say I loved it. That series has made great strides in the way they present and keep people engaged with the narrative at least imo. It was a little annoying how some loose ends were left and basically ignored along with some of the characters but overall it was a very satisfying conclusion and the characters stay true to their established personas.

After Persona 4 arena it is my favourite story in a fighter although to say its good for a fighter is to do it a disservice its essentially a Visual Novel that just happen to also be a damn good fighter (loved the way fights played as well it just seemed to happen naturally as a part of the story without being forced in there, much like P4A did before it however there are more in this).

Hopefully we see the characters come back in some form either a new BB in X amount of years time or a crossover with GG or something else. Also Makoto and Bang may have had minor roles but they were legends right up until the end of the story wish we got more of them. Hazama and Terumi (especially Hazama) were also amazing villains up there with the best Joker incarnations imo with Hazama probably slightly above and Terumi slightly below (they are kinda the same person but not totally).

Waiting to see what Arc do next.

Haha, they had to leave some ends up for the sequel, like for example why the person who talked to Rachel behind that tree in the ending animation had the sword she did etc XD.

And yeah Bang made me proud, he was the ONLY one to not betray his justice for his dream while Tsubaki went into instant squirrel hunting mode lol.

Hazama shows up in Naoto's world for furher mischief too, we haven't seen the last of him. He got a taste for sadism it seems.

Btw we should definitely have some games set up now that some people have the game other than me, I am usually on at nighttime est.

Terrordrome's still fun for me, at least when I can get the multiplayer behaving.

Thing that left me most unsatisfied in Central Fictions story was the almost complete sidelining of Litchi and Arakunes story (as well as Bullet). I was expecting some resolvement to Litchis and Arakunes but nope they pretty much may as well have not been in the story at all this time.

I would like to set up some games but I am on very sporadically and tbh I had to specifically set aside a day to watch the story. Usually my game time is about 2 hours a week atm if I am lucky which is making completing anything a bit of a nightmare. Soon all my game time will be devoted to Steins Gate 0 so hopefully its does not disappoint.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here