Star Citizen has the most Toxic fanboy based community I have ever seen.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Has anyone encountered a community centered around a game so Toxic that it makes you wonder if you could ever get fair treatment? And with that give you pause about even playing the game?

I know I have. It all started around 2012 when I found out about kick-starter game called Star Citizen. So I pledged and got a few ships and started posting my opinions about various game mechanics. Most notably about having 3PV in combat or using kamakazi tactics to ram other player's ships instead of dog-fighting.

Long story short the community hated my ideas and accused me of trolling. For a time I was about as infamous with CIG just like Derek Smart. (only instead of threatening to sue, i quietly moved on to other games) Just because I espouse different ideas and opinions about a game in progress they abused their power and perma-banned me from their forums for really no good reason other than they just did not like me, for I had in no way ever insulted any of them on the forums.

Fast forward two years later. I am enjoying my time playing Heroes and Generals and decide to check on that game once more at this site:
https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/

I describe my history on the forums and also my dissatisfaction with the game so far and make a few comments suggesting Derek Smart had some good points. And low and behold, banned again with record time!

https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/17047-derek-smart-does-not-represent-the-star-citizen-community/?page=33#comment-337763

Apparently this forum while it exposes freedom of speech and discussion is controlled by more Chris Roberts fanboy zombies who revile anyone who has opinions contrary to their precious community. I fear that this toxic attitude on their part will only spoil their own game and take what will be otherwise a good game and spoil it for everyone else.

I hope my comments on these forums are not judged too harshly. I had to get this all off my chest, and seeing how the Escapist has run afoul of the Star Citizen thing it'self, I hope to have a more sympathetic audience.

LOL brought the fanboys out with the Reddit version of this post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/50owgt/star_citizen_has_the_most_toxic_fanboy_based/
-100 Karma in less than 30 mins!

I look forward to its release myself. I'm going to need a whole tub of popcorn for this.

After seeing how No Man's Sky turned out, I bet its fanbase are going to handle any problems with class and dignity. Nah, I expect the net to catch on fire in certain spots.

MerlinCross:
I look forward to its release myself. I'm going to need a whole tub of popcorn for this.

After seeing how No Man's Sky turned out, I bet its fanbase are going to handle any problems with class and dignity. Nah, I expect the net to catch on fire in certain spots.

No Man's sky was a let down to be sure. But I am not so certain that even if Star Citizen releases that it would be a game worth playing because the community and forum moderation practices will be biased. I have encountered this on EVE where if large groups of pirates do something that's kinda exploiting that's ok. But if any lone wolf or someone uses that same thing against the pirates (who i learned many were EVE employees) You were threatened with banishment. I can see this kind of selective enforcement spreading it's poison in Star Citizen too, if the game GM's behave anything like their forum moderators.

Meh. All fanboys, no matter the IP, are terrible. Ever talked to a Sonic Fan? Or Magic fanboy? Or God help us all, a Harry Potter fan?!

Although Star Citizen has now plipped on my radar of train crashes to watch, I see no real evidence that this particular biome has produced a toxic fanboy strain. They just seem average, run-of-the-mill game backers.

GaiusBaltar:

MerlinCross:

No Man's sky was a let down to be sure. But I am not so certain that even if Star Citizen releases that it would be a game worth playing because the community and forum moderation practices will be biased. I have encountered this on EVE where if large groups of pirates do something that's kinda exploiting that's ok. But if any lone wolf or someone uses that same thing against the pirates (who i learned many were EVE employees) You were threatened with banishment. I can see this kind of selective enforcement spreading it's poison in Star Citizen too, if the game GM's behave anything like their forum moderators.

Yeah, I'm prettymuch in the "Bunker prepared and popcorn on standby" crowd.

As someone on my twitter put it "IF Star Citizen ever comes out, and WHEN it fails to meet its insane promises".

Not even the GMs buddy.

People were in such a fevor for No Mans Sky that it's release put people into two camps. Star Citizien also has a big hype machine around it, mainly due to them basically making their own echo chamber. When the game comes out(if), that hyped up, trained, loyal customer base is going to be unleashed on the net as well.

I expect anyone that doesn't give it an 8 at least to get body slammed in comments/forums. More so than usual. I also expect the Escapist to have problems given how it's been critical of it before and probably will in an actual review.

Silentpony:
Meh. All fanboys, no matter the IP, are terrible. Ever talked to a Sonic Fan? Or Magic fanboy? Or God help us all, a Harry Potter fan?!

Although Star Citizen has now plipped on my radar of train crashes to watch, I see no real evidence that this particular biome has produced a toxic fanboy strain. They just seem average, run-of-the-mill game backers.

Don't get me started on Zootopia fans.

I think people just need to be less automatically dismissive. Sure, super fans who attack anyone who disagree with them are awful, but then you have a lot of people who do the same right back to the fans.

Edit: *is also a Zootopia fan if you forgot*

Saelune:

Right?! Some of them genuinely think there's no chemistry between Nick and Judy. Makes me sick! Those two are OTP.

But as much we judge superfans of things, I feel it worth pointing out its not the non-fans that are always the problem. I've never walked up to someone who wasn't a Zootopia fan, told them "Nick/Judy FTW!" and received much of a reaction beyond 'How did you get into my house?' Non-fans never care enough to get angry.

These Star Citizen fans seem determined to not let anyone but themselves be fans of this game. Which is strange, because like most single-celled lifeforms, Fans exist only to eat and create more fans.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Right?! Some of them genuinely think there's no chemistry between Nick and Judy. Makes me sick! Those two are OTP.

But as much we judge superfans of things, I feel it worth pointing out its not the non-fans that are always the problem. I've never walked up to someone who wasn't a Zootopia fan, told them "Nick/Judy FTW!" and received much of a reaction beyond 'How did you get into my house?' Non-fans never care enough to get angry.

These Star Citizen fans seem determined to not let anyone but themselves be fans of this game. Which is strange, because like most single-celled lifeforms, Fans exist only to eat and create more fans.

The amount of people who shit on...everything, kind of makes me disagree. I should know, as I tend to be one of them, in all honesty.

Family Guy, Dane Cook, Nickelback, and Coldplay all have a legion of anti-fans. I also don't believe as many people who shit on Other M actually played it. I don't know if it sucks, cause I never played it, but I bet a lot of others who say they hate it are in the same boat as me.

Meh, it's not a specific game, gaming has a whole has a problem with arrogant shitheads. People just don't like to talk about it.

Star Citizen does seem to have a higher level of...crazy going for it. Every game, every show, every book, every everything has its rabid fans that will fight to the death for it. They refuse to hear anything bad about their product, even if evidence is staring them in the face.

But Star Citizen seems to be a step above the rest. I think this might be because some of these fans have sunk thousands of dollars into this project, so the idea that it could turn out less than perfect is utterly insane to them.
I think another part of it is that some fans are starting to get worried. They realize, in the back of their mind, that things don't seem to be shaping up the way they were promised, so they shout even louder in hopes of drowning out the doubt. They fear it spreading, so any hint of negativity must be completely destroyed, in hopes that the game will still amaze.

Silentpony:

I dunno about regular MTG players but EDH players care more about having fun and not being a dick than everything else.

Doubt it. I think it's just that the more money someone spends on something, the more attached and invested they feel - and we've all heard the stories of the ludicrous fortunes pledged toward this record-breaking project. I think the level of fervour has simply scaled up to match its phenomenal ambition.

Barbas:
Doubt it. I think it's just that the more money someone spends on something, the more attached and invested they feel - and we've all heard the stories of the ludicrous fortunes pledged toward this record-breaking project. I think the level of fervour has simply scaled up to match its phenomenal ambition.

There's some truth to that. Just do a search on google and you will see one backer was refunded 2500 dollars. Others have pledged as much as 20,000 dollars!! And boy there is evidence of bad conduct on their part. But of course it is tolerated because they spent so much money. At least I only pledge about $200, must be why I got banned so fast. Maybe I should have given CIG my life fortune instead. heh

I don't know anything about Star Citizen other than being a popular Early Access (or something like that). I gave it a quick read at your link and, yeah, their first reply was zealous; but your next comments had a slight hint of "poking the bear". Was it an overreaction to want you banned? Yes. But not the point of being the most toxic fanboy community. That title goes to NMS's, at least until we can count the number websites DDoS'ed after reviewing Star Citizen.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Saelune:

The amount of people who shit on...everything, kind of makes me disagree. I should know, as I tend to be one of them, in all honesty.

Family Guy, Dane Cook, Nickelback, and Coldplay all have a legion of anti-fans. I also don't believe as many people who shit on Other M actually played it. I don't know if it sucks, cause I never played it, but I bet a lot of others who say they hate it are in the same boat as me.

That's why on game controversies I try to play the games before taking sides. The only reason I played the Mass Effect trilogy was to see why it was 2015 and people were still upset with the ME3 ending. I also played Other M (that time was close to launch and without knowing about the controversy) and I didn't like it.

CaitSeith:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

That's why on game controversies I try to play the games before taking sides. The only reason I played the Mass Effect trilogy was to see why it was 2015 and people were still upset with the ME3 ending. I also played Other M (that time was close to launch and without knowing about the controversy) and I didn't like it.

A goal of my life is to play every "relevant" game ever. Other M is on that list, cause I'm genuinely curious what people don't like about it.

I -want- to play ME3, but I cant get past ME2, cause I think 2 is garbage, cause it became too action oriented and removed a lot of depth. But I guess that's what I get for being a Sentinel in 1.

GaiusBaltar:
Has anyone encountered a community centered around a game so Toxic that it makes you wonder if you could ever get fair treatment? And with that give you pause about even playing the game?

I know I have. It all started around 2012 when I found out about kick-starter game called Star Citizen. So I pledged and got a few ships and started posting my opinions about various game mechanics. Most notably about having 3PV in combat or using kamakazi tactics to ram other player's ships instead of dog-fighting.

Long story short the community hated my ideas and accused me of trolling. For a time I was about as infamous with CIG just like Derek Smart. (only instead of threatening to sue, i quietly moved on to other games) Just because I espouse different ideas and opinions about a game in progress they abused their power and perma-banned me from their forums for really no good reason other than they just did not like me, for I had in no way ever insulted any of them on the forums.

Fast forward two years later. I am enjoying my time playing Heroes and Generals and decide to check on that game once more at this site:
https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/

I describe my history on the forums and also my dissatisfaction with the game so far and make a few comments suggesting Derek Smart had some good points. And low and behold, banned again with record time!

https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/17047-derek-smart-does-not-represent-the-star-citizen-community/?page=33#comment-337763

Apparently this forum while it exposes freedom of speech and discussion is controlled by more Chris Roberts fanboy zombies who revile anyone who has opinions contrary to their precious community. I fear that this toxic attitude on their part will only spoil their own game and take what will be otherwise a good game and spoil it for everyone else.

I hope my comments on these forums are not judged too harshly. I had to get this all off my chest, and seeing how the Escapist has run afoul of the Star Citizen thing it'self, I hope to have a more sympathetic audience.

I can tell you're new here, haha.

The Escapist had a feud with Star Citizen a while back. The site basically accused them of laundering money, and they threatened to sue. The community over there definitely seemed kind of nutty from what I saw. The developers seem sketchy as hell too. I don't care to interact with their community.

As for other fandoms? Hard to say. Most aren't actively malicious. The Undertale community could be pretty obnoxious. I like the fan art, animations, music, and parodies they've produced, but if you didn't do a pacifist run during a Lets Play then they absolutely lost their shit. It's a shame, since I love that game.

Saelune:

CaitSeith:
snip

A goal of my life is to play every "relevant" game ever. Other M is on that list, cause I'm genuinely curious what people don't like about it.

I -want- to play ME3, but I cant get past ME2, cause I think 2 is garbage, cause it became too action oriented and removed a lot of depth. But I guess that's what I get for being a Sentinel in 1.

Yeah. And Mass Effect 3 is even more action oriented and less complex. It's pretty fun with the Vangard class though.

It's funny that this is what came to mind when NMS failed to meet expectations for most people. I can only imagine the raging shitstorm that's going to be.

I'm also tempted to mess with the fans by playing it a little, reviewing it and giving it a 7.9 for "Does not meet expectations set by hype".

For fun go into a place with Star Citizens fans and say it might be the next No Mans Sky.

Bathe in those flames.

Silentpony:

Is there even anyone else to pair her with? I mean...we've got:

- female sheep
- fat tiger
- a lion
- Idris Elba playing a fucking water buffalo

No-one available is even the right size. And that's not getting into the real reason Nick and Judy would probably hook up.

MerlinCross:

To be fair: Roberts has a lot more experience with games like these than Hello Games or Sean Murray. Murray and Hello Games had only done some small indie games before so they were way above their heads with No Man's Sky. Anyone with some brains and understanding of modern gaming industry could've seen that No Man's Sky won't live up to the hype.

However I'm not sold on Star Citizen either. It's been a long time since Roberts has done anything worthwhile and Star Citizen is very ambitious. It seems that every time Roberts opens his mouth, they're adding something more to the game. This is something that happens in game development a lot, devs get all these grazy ideas of things they want to add in a game. That's why studios have producers who keep devs in check.

When I listen to Roberts I get some Molyneux flashbacks. Someone who rides on successes of his past to try to do something overly ambitious. Usually these projects end up with disappointment.

Silentpony:

I have never seen a toxic magic the gathering fanboy.

Hahaha, holy hell. I wondered where you'd gotten to.

I will say simply that a lot of the reason you were seen as a troll was that your ramming often had the subtext of intentionally exploiting systems to ruin the enjoyment of the game for others - which others such as Shankerz on the PvP and org side of things also got banned for planning an equivalent of, so it wasn't all one sided. That said god I miss the forums in the old days where we had our characters, but everyone at least had a valid point behind their arguments [Usually, I'm sure you remember the few who didn't >.>].

These days? Yeah, its become a toxic hellhole of yes men. Every idea is a great one, CIG is going to end world hunger, and things are utterly perfect. Sure, there's still a few reasonable people around, but its gone downhill.

Samtemdo8:
I have never seen a toxic magic the gathering fanboy.

Oh man, you don't know the guys I play Magic with. Well, I don't play with them; I don't play at all. They're the reason I don't play! But they're my friends, or at least friends of my friends, so I still have to endure their anecdotal moaning from time to time.

Every fandom has douchebags, it's like a law of physics.

Joccaren:

I will say simply that a lot of the reason you were seen as a troll was that your ramming often had the subtext of intentionally exploiting systems to ruin the enjoyment of the game for others - which others such as Shankerz on the PvP and org side of things also got banned for planning an equivalent of, so it wasn't all one sided. That said god I miss the forums in the old days where we had our characters, but everyone at least had a valid point behind their arguments [Usually, I'm sure you remember the few who didn't >.>].

These days? Yeah, its become a toxic hellhole of yes men. Every idea is a great one, CIG is going to end world hunger, and things are utterly perfect. Sure, there's still a few reasonable people around, but its gone downhill.

You were an active member on the RSI forums? I remember I got lots of posts for a "Gaius Baltar for president" themed thread. I also remembered Shankerz. His style of trolling was pretty obvious and Toxic, mine tends to be light-hearted and funny. I remember him getting banned before I did. Then that fat frak of a person Ben Lesnick took over for community management and actually tried to threaten the whole player base with bans if they don't "behave" on their show that came on every Friday.
Personally I think some trolling should be allowed as long it's for LuLz and not hurting people's feelings. My whole thing about ramming other ships was because I find dogfighting tedious and annoying. Besides in PVP doesn't everyone diminish other people's fun just by killing them? In essence I also think that PVP makes everyone a little bit of greifer just by playing in some respects.

GaiusBaltar:

Joccaren:

You were an active member on the RSI forums? I remember I got lots of posts for a "Gaius Baltar for president" themed thread. I also remembered Shankerz. His style of trolling was pretty obvious and Toxic, mine tends to be light-hearted and funny. I remember him getting banned before I did. Then that fat frak of a person Ben Lesnick took over for community management and actually tried to threaten the whole player base with bans if they don't "behave" on their show that came on every Friday.
Personally I think some trolling should be allowed as long it's for LuLz and not hurting people's feelings. My whole thing about ramming other ships was because I find dogfighting tedious and annoying. Besides in PVP doesn't everyone diminish other people's fun just by killing them? In essence I also think that PVP makes everyone a little bit of greifer just by playing in some respects.

I'm too much of an outsider to Star Citzen to know why ramming would make PVP less enjoyable, but PVP should be fun for both parties, at least as much as it possibly can be. The real question regarding changes to PVP is, how fun is it? Are the steps required to become a PVP powerhouse fun? Are the battles themselves still fun? Overall, if winning is the only thing that's gratifying about preparing for and engaging in PVP, then it could probably use some work, unless the players themselves are the sort who can only have fun by winning. I've gotten crushed several times playing Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 and still finished thinking "Good fight sir. That was fun" thanks to the fun of matching wits with them.

Every once in a while a game comes along that I just want to fail in every way. Star Citizen is that game. So many idiots worshiping it even though they haven't played a single second of it, AND THEY EVEN PAY MONEY TO THE DEVS!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT?!?!?!?

The epic failure of No Man's Sky definitely made me snicker, but I wasn't really invested in hating No Man's Sky.

Star Citizen's release is gonna have me falling out of my seat laughing.

People are so stupid.

Cold Shiny:
Every once in a while a game comes along that I just want to fail in every way. Star Citizen is that game. So many idiots worshiping it even though they haven't played a single second of it, AND THEY EVEN PAY MONEY TO THE DEVS!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT?!?!?!?

The epic failure of No Man's Sky definitely made me snicker, but I wasn't really invested in hating No Man's Sky.

People are so stupid.

Indeed. Even though I have some cash invested into it (only about $200) I will probably play when version 3.0 comes out and probably get flamed in their chats for who I am but there is some fun in watching a game burn, I admit. Especially one chalk full of elitist fanboys who literally make projects to build flight chairs with two joysticks and invest 20k dollars into a game not out yet. This gonna be good. It will be fun watching the game crash and burn.

Cold Shiny:

People are so stupid.

I'm personally of the opinion that people who pre-order have no right to complain if/when they are disappointed(If it turned out to be what they wanted, good on them). They banked on a promise and that's what they got: A promise. The ultra-fanboys of the SC community(you know which ones I mean) is just a particularly bad case of the follys of pre-ordering.

Lykosia:

MerlinCross:

To be fair: Roberts has a lot more experience with games like these than Hello Games or Sean Murray. Murray and Hello Games had only done some small indie games before so they were way above their heads with No Man's Sky. Anyone with some brains and understanding of modern gaming industry could've seen that No Man's Sky won't live up to the hype.

However I'm not sold on Star Citizen either. It's been a long time since Roberts has done anything worthwhile and Star Citizen is very ambitious. It seems that every time Roberts opens his mouth, they're adding something more to the game. This is something that happens in game development a lot, devs get all these grazy ideas of things they want to add in a game. That's why studios have producers who keep devs in check.

When I listen to Roberts I get some Molyneux flashbacks. Someone who rides on successes of his past to try to do something overly ambitious. Usually these projects end up with disappointment.

I'd say generally all these games that seem to unfocus and promise that you can do everything tend to fall flat on their face.
NMS does have most of the gameplay they promised, but its all average at best. GTA has all these various systems, but most of them are awful. Bethesdas crafting and/or building mechanics just seem to detract from sharpening up the ARPG play. Assassin's Creed basically went off the rails adding everything under the sun, from tower defense games, to boats, to city management, to a trade economy simulation game while progressively losing all sense of its original gameplay. Even some games that only add vehicles to their basic gameplay (Arkham Knight, Mad Max, RAGE) come off worse for it.

I'm sure with enough time/money, you probably could develop this "Supergame", if you got lucky and had the right minds behind each component. But even then, it'll be a bloated monster for hard drive space and resource requirements. Along with people backlashing over a potentially disappointing game, I"m wondering how many will backlash just because it comes out with ludicrous system requirements that only 3% of gamers can pull off.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

I think people just need to be less automatically dismissive. Sure, super fans who attack anyone who disagree with them are awful, but then you have a lot of people who do the same right back to the fans.

Wait, Zootopia fans are problematic? Seriously?

Incredulity aside, Star Citizen is shaping up to be... interesting. I'm one of the outliers who managed to ignore the No Man's Sky hype train and who enjoys the game for what it is; but I have a hard time imagining that anyone will come out of Chris Roberts' vanity project unscathed.

IamLEAM1983:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Wait, Zootopia fans are problematic? Seriously?

Incredulity aside, Star Citizen is shaping up to be... interesting. I'm one of the outliers who managed to ignore the No Man's Sky hype train and who enjoys the game for what it is; but I have a hard time imagining that anyone will come out of Chris Roberts' vanity project unscathed.

I was poking fun at Silentpony. Though I have to assume there are some insane Zootopia fans out there too.

I put this thread in the heart of Star Citizen territory (that i still have access to) on reddit too.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/50owgt/star_citizen_has_the_most_toxic_fanboy_based/
-100 karma in less than 30 mins! LOL

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked