Poll: What are you willing to pay for a modern, up to date console?

Pages PREV 1 2

Yoshi178:

Dirty Hipsters:

Yoshi178:
stop taking things so god damn literally.

You're the one who brought it up as a benefit.

and Ezekiel is the one who was wishing Sony would make some improvements to the same controller they've had on their system players have been using for more than 2 decades now genius.

They did, the PS3 controller was a complete piece of shit, and the PS4 control was an improvement in every way.

Well...except battery life. For the life of me I have no idea why they decided it needed that stupid light in the front but man the battery life on that controller is dismal because of it.

Honestly, at this point "I'm not" is most accurate for me. I got turned off of the console market back in high school simply because the individual lineups for each console made me consider them a poor investment. Long story short is that I'd end up shoving a bunch of money at something I'd only get 2-3 games for before they started cycling it out again. With that in mind, I'll stick to PC (which has a longer shelf-life, better backwards and forwards compatibility, and is useful for more things than just gaming)

Dirty Hipsters:

Yoshi178:

Dirty Hipsters:

and Ezekiel is the one who was wishing Sony would make some improvements to the same controller they've had on their system players have been using for more than 2 decades now genius.

They did, the PS3 controller was a complete piece of shit, and the PS4 control was an improvement in every way.

Well...except battery life. For the life of me I have no idea why they decided it needed that stupid light in the front but man the battery life on that controller is dismal because of it.

No, they didn't. The DS3 and DS4 are fundamentally the same controller as the DS1. As is the Xbox line of controllers and even the Wii U's. A diamond of four face buttons, a D-pad, two clickable analog sticks and four buttons (bumpers and triggers) on the top. It's not a very good design, especially twenty years later. 3D control schemes and mechanics were simpler in 1997.

Dirty Hipsters:

Yoshi178:

Dirty Hipsters:

It's a simple LED, it doesn't use more battery than the LEDs in any other controller.

Bigger battery drains are rumble engines and the touch pad.

Ezekiel:

Dirty Hipsters:

Yoshi178:

No, they didn't. The DS3 and DS4 are fundamentally the same controller as the DS1. As is the Xbox line of controllers and even the Wii U's. A diamond of four face buttons, a D-pad, two clickable analog sticks and four buttons (bumpers and triggers) on the top. It's not a very good design, especially twenty years later. 3D control schemes and mechanics were simpler in 1997.

Please do elaborate on how the design is not very good and could you provide an example of a better design? I mean, I would say that all consoles emulate this design for a reason?
One hand can comfortably reach 8 buttons and an analogue stick to control, that seems fairly enough for gaming from a couch seated position.

bluegate:
could you provide an example of a better design?

$313.72, or ?250 as we call it in these parts. However, I always tend to buy second hand.

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

Yeah, no.

Not only does it have less buttons ( no L1, no button that can be used as a Select button ), its analogue sticks are stuck in octagons, limiting movement in 3D space and creating dead-spots, they are non-clickable and the "stick" part of the C button is too small in height, lessening precision, as a higher stick portion allows for higher precision in control of the analogue stick.

bluegate:

Dirty Hipsters:

Yoshi178:

It's a simple LED, it doesn't use more battery than the LEDs in any other controller.

Bigger battery drains are rumble engines and the touch pad.

Ezekiel:

Dirty Hipsters:

Please do elaborate on how the design is not very good and could you provide an example of a better design? I mean, I would say that all consoles emulate this design for a reason?
One hand can comfortably reach 8 buttons and an analogue stick to control, that seems fairly enough for gaming from a couch seated position.

Firstly, pushing a stick against a little ring with your thumb is not an efficient way to aim. You're constantly dragging the camera to where you need it because that's as fast as it can go when being pushed against the frame. Increasing the sensitivity makes it harder to be precise. It made more sense when games had auto-aim and fixed cameras that didn't need to be manipulated so much. Having you switch back and forth between the stick and the four face buttons with only one digit is bad design. With a modern mouse, you have control over seven inputs while moving the cursor or camera with the quick precision of your wrist and forearm, and the keys on the board are more easily accessible too. I love how Chivarly lets you thrust and swing downward with the mouse wheel. All you can do with your right hand whilst aiming with a controller is press R3 and the trigger and bumper, unless you use your middle finger on the bumper and trigger and your index finger on the face buttons. But it's not an ideal position and designers don't take it into account when they make their games. Why do controllers still only allow me to use four of my ten digits? Why are there no buttons on the back? Most of the time, I prefer the limited digital movement of the keyboard, because of all the buttons surrounding WASD. When you need to use any of those buttons, it's quick and you can still use the two other fingers to move, unlike with a controller, which requires you to leave the stick to interact with just four buttons. There are over four buttons that you don't even need to use your three middle fingers for. Shift, Spacebar, Ctrl and Alt. You can even reach several letter keys with your thumb if you train yourself. I want more versatile controls, more options for how to maneuver and act in combat or whatever I'm doing. If someone could combine the pros of a mouse and keyboard with 360 degree movement, I'd be happy. Rather than making things simpler, the ancient layout complicates games. Multiple contradictory context sensitive options are tied to single buttons and we have inefficient radial menus whose selectable items could be accessed with single button presses. If I played Max Payne 3 on a controller, I would have to pull up the radial menu whenever I want to switch weapons. But with a keyboard and mouse, I can quick-select all my weapons (left hand weapon, right hand weapon, dual wield, two-handed weapon) with the four number keys, and also toggle the attached laser with the side button of my mouse. If Dark Souls were designed around a keyboard, I could quick-select my items instead of cycling through them with D-Pad down. The mouse and keyboard obviously have drawbacks, like being able to move in only eight directions, but that's understandable, considering that they weren't even designed for games. I'm impressed by how well developers have utilized this set of work tools as a way to interface with games over the decades. Controllers are much more pathetic, considering their sole purpose and how much they improved from 1972 to 1997 and then stayed the same for twenty years and counting. The PS5 will no doubt have another DualShock, because people hate change, even if it's for their own good. Even as a PC player, I have to put up with inefficient mechanics in nearly all my games, since they're designed around controllers.

Arkham City exemplifies the problems of a controller. I'll quote what I said of the game.

It?s pretty annoying how many actions are tied to the same buttons. I want to use an item but instead the character deploys my only smoke grenade. I want to place a bomb on someone, but instead Robin tries to take him out, teaching me the hard way that I have to hold it while approaching. Sometimes, I accidentally perform a counter instead of readying an item, or vise versa. I really think item deployment should be separate from the counter/stealth attack button. I also don?t like how the characters automatically climb stuff when running or how you have to let go of the run button and then tap it to evade. Or how sometimes you try to go underneath a floor grate and instead the character attaches to a wall or railing. The devs should have provided more options for mice and keyboards.

bluegate:

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

Yeah, no.

Not only does it have less buttons ( no L1, no button that can be used as a Select button ), its analogue sticks are stuck in octagons, limiting movement in 3D space and creating dead-spots, they are non-clickable and the "stick" part of the C button is too small in height, lessening precision, as a higher stick portion allows for higher precision in control of the analogue stick.

Doesn't matter. shits comfy as fuck.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or