Nintend switch has Standard X1 Chip released in 2013.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So....it's been confirmed the switch's 'custom' chip is just the bog standard X1 released on nvidia shield tv back in 2013. At the time it cost 150 pounds in 2013!!. So effectively your paying ?120 extra for the joycons and same hardware in 2017! In fact the nvidia controller was superior! I really can't understand how nintendo gets away with pulling this shit and fans blindly defend them

Well in the case of the Switch people keep defending it because it's allowing them to play their console games on a handheld.

Considering the handheld features hold zero appeal for me I find the Switch a technologically inferior console. It lacked anything that could get me excited for it on release, and the more information we get about it after release the less interested I become, with this information being the final nail in the proverbial coffin the Switch is now dead to me.

I honestly think that the switch is terrible as a console, which is really too bad because this is the 3rd console generation that Nintendo hasn't appealed to me, despite the fact that I really love some of their games AND have nostalgia for their properties.

Dirty Hipsters:
Well in the case of the Switch people keep defending it because it's allowing them to play their console games on a handheld.

Considering the handheld features hold zero appeal for me I find the Switch a technologically inferior console. It lacked anything that could get me excited for it on release, and the more information we get about it after release the less interested I become, with this information being the final nail in the proverbial coffin the Switch is now dead to me.

I honestly think that the switch is terrible as a console, which is really too bad because this is the 3rd console generation that Nintendo hasn't appealed to me, despite the fact that I really love some of their games AND have nostalgia for their properties.

I Know they make great games but are utterly shit at hardware. They need to wake up and open their eyes, Nintendo go software only ffs!

Fonejackerjon:
So....it's been confirmed the switch's 'custom' chip is just the bog standard X1 released on nvidia shield tv back in 2013. At the time it cost 150 pounds in 2013!!. So effectively your paying ?120 extra for the joycons and same hardware in 2017! In fact the nvidia controller was superior! I really can't understand how nintendo gets away with pulling this shit and fans blindly defend them

So the chip was priced individually at 150 pounds over 3 years ago and you think that is what Nintendo is paying for it now? No doubt the chip is cheaper now and since Nintendo buys in bulk it would be cheaper yet.

Fonejackerjon:

I Know they make great games but are utterly shit at hardware. They need to wake up and open their eyes, Nintendo go software only ffs!

Oh give it a rest. Microsoft and Sony will inevitably follow Nintendo like they have in the past with everything from analog sticks to motion controls.

...so, is nobody going to mention that the X1 chip came out in 2015, has been in all of one device, and said non-portable device is still 2/3rds the cost of a switch?

Plus, theoretically, the switch can output 4K video through the USB C. Streaming video, at the very least, if Ninty plays the licensing game with the HDMI folks. No HDR unless they upgrade the HDMI on the dock though.

Plus, I mean, you've got people willing to pay modders $300+ to put HDMI ports on 3ds's, to the idea that a $300 device that attaches to your TV right out the gate with rumored Pok?mon and Monster Hunter games would look very attractive.

WeepingAngels:

Fonejackerjon:

So the chip was priced individually at 150 pounds over 3 years ago and you think that is what Nintendo is paying for it now? No doubt the chip is cheaper now and since Nintendo buys in bulk it would be cheaper yet.

No, I think the entire nvidia shield tv cost 150 pounds in 2013, not just the chip. So 4 years later the Switch costs double while running the same hardware.

Dirty Hipsters:

WeepingAngels:

Fonejackerjon:

No, I think the entire nvidia shield tv cost 150 pounds in 2013, not just the chip. So 4 years later the Switch costs double while running the same hardware.

According to Amazon, you're hilariously wrong: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/NVIDIA-Shield-16-GB-Android-Box-Controller/B015CM435I

EDIT: Although, in fairness, the newer one running the same chip only costs 190 pounds, so you're not as wrong, though amazon UK also has the switch for a theoretical 280 pounds.

It had to be really, with Nvidia helping develop it after their own experience with the Shield range. Wonder how long until we get a second Shield tablet with the X1 chip.

Of course you have to remember the Shield box isn't portable with its own screen like the Switch, although Nvidias K1 tablet is about 200 with a controller, and not a lot less powerful.

altnameJag:

Dirty Hipsters:

WeepingAngels:

According to Amazon, you're hilariously wrong: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/NVIDIA-Shield-16-GB-Android-Box-Controller/B015CM435I

EDIT: Although, in fairness, the newer one running the same chip only costs 190 pounds, so you're not as wrong, though amazon UK also has the switch for a theoretical 280 pounds.

The Shield does everything (except mobile[1]) better alongside with extra capabilities the Switch doesn't have (such as 4k streaming). =/

[1] This might make the Switch entirely worth it to you. To me it's not much of a feature, but I can definitely see how it might be the main appeal for others

WeepingAngels:

Oh give it a rest. Microsoft and Sony will inevitably follow Nintendo like they have in the past with everything from analog sticks to motion controls.

The "analog stick" (notice singular), sure. But Ninty then abandoned twin sticks after only 1 gen (I'm not counting the pro controller that one had to pay extra for. The default controller design was the wiimote and, if I'm being generous, the also peripheral nunchuck) and have yet to bring it back despite twin stick designs being the significantly better control scheme than waving plastic at a sensor and hoping it picks you up.

"Motion controls" which were promptly ditched as the gimmick they are because they failed on the market. I also haven't seen to extra tablet controller take off either, have you?

Avnger:

The Shield does everything (except mobile[1]) better alongside with extra capabilities the Switch doesn't have (such as 4k streaming). =/

Do we "know" that though? Like, for a fact? The Switch has all the hardware for it, in that it has equivalent hardware to the Shield TV, and it hasn't had any sort of streaming service launched on it.

[1] This might make the Switch entirely worth it to you. To me it's not much of a feature, but I can definitely see how it might be the main appeal for others

altnameJag:

Avnger:

Do we "know" that though? Like, for a fact? The Switch has all the hardware for it, in that it has equivalent hardware to the Shield TV, and it hasn't had any sort of streaming service launched on it.

If the Switch ever ends up with 4k streaming, I will write a $50 check to any charity you want and pm you proof :P

oh wah wah! if all someone gives a crap about is how powerful their video gaming system is then they should just buy a decent PC. not a console.

oh and you say Nintendo "keeps getting away with it"? lol yeah sure. go look at Wii U's total hardware sales to date and then get back to me.

Avnger:

WeepingAngels:

The "analog stick" (notice singular), sure. But Ninty then abandoned twin sticks after only 1 gen (I'm not counting the pro controller that one had to pay extra for. The default controller design was the wiimote and, if I'm being generous, the also peripheral nunchuck) and have yet to bring it back despite twin stick designs being the significantly better control scheme than waving plastic at a sensor and hoping it picks you up.

"Motion controls" which were promptly ditched as the gimmick they are because they failed on the market. I also haven't seen to extra tablet controller take off either, have you?

Motion controls were never ditched. alot of Wii U games use them and 1, 2 Switch, Arms and Splatoon 2 are still making use of them on the Switch.

just because they aren't the focus anymore doesn't mean they don't get used anymore. they're just included often as a natural part of Nintendo's gameplay design now just like Touch Screens are.

Yoshi178:

Avnger:

WeepingAngels:

Motion controls were never ditched. alot of Wii U games use them and 1, 2 Switch, Arms and Splatoon 2 are still making use of them on the Switch.

just because they aren't the focus anymore doesn't mean they don't get used anymore. they're just included often as a natural part of Nintendo's gameplay design now just like Touch Screens are.

I was referring to motion controls having been ditched by Microsoft and Sony. Angels made the claim that Microsoft and Sony are following Nintendo on them.

Microsoft and Sony will inevitably follow Nintendo like they have in the past with everything from analog sticks to motion controls.

Nintendo clearly hasn't given up on them yet. The other two essentially have.

Avnger:

Nintendo clearly hasn't given up on them yet. The other two essentially have.

The other two like to play it safe and just stick with the whole "my console is the most powerful console on the market" gimmick

Avnger:

I was referring to motion controls having been ditched by Microsoft and Sony. Angels made the claim that Microsoft and Sony are following Nintendo on them.

Reading problems? I said:

Microsoft and Sony will inevitably follow Nintendo like they have in the past with everything from analog sticks to motion controls.

So to assist your understand of this seemingly difficult quote. Microsoft and Sony have followed Nintendo in the past and I expect them too again. However, did you miss that the Dual Shock 4 has that light bar for the purpose of tracking it in a 3D space, just like the Move controller? Did you also miss that Microsoft was forcing Kinect on users at the beginning of this gen? So it seems like you are just wrong all around. Your strawman was unsuccessful both because you misrepresented what I said AND because what you claimed I said (and said that it was false) wasn't false at all.

How does this really shock any of you? WE knew from the very beginning that the Switch was going to be very weak compared to the other console hardware out there. Which by the way, PS4 and Xbone were also underpowered as fuck when they launched. That's why Microsoft announced the Scorpio so quickly and doesn't seem to give two fucks about people continuing to support the base Xbone. And Sony released a PS4Pro just about as quick as they fucking could.

Nintendo has been underpowered in the console market since the Wii. They put all the effort into making a powerful box in the Gamecube and the GC did fuck all for them. So now they are basically on the bandwagon of being gimmicky as hell. Let's face facts here, the motion controls of the Wii was a gimmick, the Wii U handheld thing was a gimmick, and the Switch being a portable is a gimmick. Nothing more.

For fuck's sake I can play almost all my PS4 games on my Vita, with a better battery-life! Granted the Vita doesn't actually have to run the processes that the Switch does, but you would think that Nintendo would have made some kind of effort somewhere right? Either by making it powerful enough to run 60fps 720p console games, or by having a battery powerful enough to support decent play sessions, or how about putting the charge cable in the TOP of the system!?

Right now we cannot judge how successful the Switch will end up being, but we can all look at the device and see the uncanny number of terrible design choices. I mean they didn't even put a proper blu-tooth device in the left joycon, so it can't maintain sync. It fails at being a home console unless to spend 80 bucks extra for a proper controller, it fails at being a mobile unit because of poor battery life, poor charger connection location, err......

Okay it doesn't completely fail, but it doesn't do any of the things it was promised to do all that well. Wanna game on your TV there are better consoles for that. Wanna game on the go? There are better devices for that.

When did the X1 that was from 2015 not 13 suddenly become the crap chipset some people are trying to make it out to be?
I hardly think its 'bog standard' either, im pretty sure softwear wise that chip has had a shit ton of extra stuff done to it.

Here's what Nintendo needs to do in order to be taken seriously again.

- Release a console that is identical, inside and out, to the xbox one. Just put a big red N on it so people know its Nintendo's.

- Discontinue all Big N franchises, only babies play those.

- Release a yearly grey and brown shooter full of DLC and a crappy single player campaign.

- Focus ENTRELY on graphics and make sure that gameplay is as boring and simplistic as possible, wouldn't want to alienate the primary gaming bro crowd!

-Hype all new games to death, but deliver on nothing and make sure that the new games are as buggy and broken as possible.

- Make sure you get every new Uisoft, EA, and Warner Bros. game on your console, because everyone knows those are the best developers.

If Nintendo does all these things I might pick up their next console on a sale for 49.99 and 6 pack in games.

I should clarify that I don't care for the Switch. I don't care for gaming on a tablet and the Joycons look like design mistakes caused by compromises due to it being a tablet and due to Nintendo wanting to make them independent controllers. The size, lack of a D-Pad and connectivity issues are all part of it's problems. I guess we finally have cross save but it shouldn't have taken this to get cross save. The reason this is on my mind is because I would like to move my save for Breath of Fire 2 between 3DS & Wii U. On the other hand, Switch has no VC anyway.

Having said all that, I don't want Nintendo to stop making hardware and the suggestion of it irritates me given Nintendo's continuing influence on the industry as a whole.

Fonejackerjon:

Dirty Hipsters:

Considering the last superior hardware they made was SNES, and to some degree N64 - memory issues not withstanding - it's safe to say they just don't care about that aspect anymore, even after record sales with the Wii. Chalk it up to management that cares more about maximizing profit margins than any loftier, more lasting intangible qualities like admiration, respect, dignity, etc. from industry peers and consumers alike.

hanselthecaretaker:

Considering the last superior hardware they made was SNES, and to some degree N64 - memory issues not withstanding - it's safe to say they just don't care about that aspect anymore, even after record sales with the Wii. Chalk it up to management that cares more about maximizing profit margins than any loftier, more lasting intangible qualities like admiration, respect, dignity, etc. from industry peers and consumers alike.

If I remember correctly the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and the OG Xbox. It just didn't do well as a whole. Which explains why their next system (wii) went in a different direction that ended up being crazy successful for them. Sadly it is hard to sustain public interest on gimmicks.

hanselthecaretaker:

The GameCube was their last comparably powerful console. It was between the PS2 and the Xbox. GameCube games still look good today in my opinion, especially with the component cables.

+1 They should give up hardware, it's getting embarrassing.

Just drop out of the hardware market, Nintendo, you haven't been good since the GameCube days.

Yeah now that you mention it the GameCube was a pretty tight console, just not at the same domination level as SNES techwise. I just didn't play that much on it besides Windwaker and REmake.

hanselthecaretaker:
Yeah now that you mention it the GameCube was a pretty tight console, just not at the same domination level as SNES techwise. I just didn't play that much on it besides Windwaker and REmake.

You never played Rogue Leader? Oh shit, bub, you don't know what you missed...

American Tanker:

hanselthecaretaker:

You never played Rogue Leader? Oh shit, bub, you don't know what you missed...

Rogue Leader or Squadron? I thought it was Squadron, but I remember playing it briefly and yes, it was good. I especially remember the aerial dogfights being the bees knees.

hanselthecaretaker:
Rogue Leader or Squadron? I thought it was Squadron, but I remember playing it briefly and yes, it was good. I especially remember the aerial dogfights being the bees knees.

Oh, forgot about Rogue Squadron being a trilogy. Rogue Leader was the second one, and best in the series.

Rebel Strike, well, without the ground levels it would have been wicked. But the ground combat was just flat awful.

Some poster above thinks the SNES was loads and loads more powerful than the Genesis. The SNES just had extra chips in the cart that gave it better capabilities, that wasn't on the console itself though. In particular, the SNES had a really slow CPU compared to the Genesis.

I am pretty sure the SNES and Genesis were closer in power than the Gamecube and the PS2.

WeepingAngels:
So I made a post asking a question, I found my answer but since I can't delete a post (this forum lacks basic functions) I have to type something to avoid another warning for a low content post. It's like some of these rules are as well thought out as the left Joycon was.

Ah but I must be on topic to avoid a warning for a low content post so....

Some poster above thinks the SNES was loads and loads more powerful than the Genesis. The SNES just had extra chips in the cart that gave it better capabilities, that wasn't on the console itself though. In particular, the SNES had a really slow CPU compared to the Genesis.

Considering the time period and hardware ceiling, it pretty much was. "Blast Processing" was purely a marketing gimmick where SEGA tried to capitalize on how "slow" SMW appeared next to Sonic, which was eventually and thoroughly upstaged by DKC anyways. Add to that Mode 7 which also demonstrated enhanced visuals and speed with games like Super Castlevania and F-Zero respectively, and later FX which enhanced 3D visuals even further and it was no contest.

That's also not even considering the vast difference in sound chip quality. Genesis at best sounded like an out of tune rusty banjo while SNES was practically a precursor to CD quality sound towards the end.

hanselthecaretaker:

WeepingAngels:
So I made a post asking a question, I found my answer but since I can't delete a post (this forum lacks basic functions) I have to type something to avoid another warning for a low content post. It's like some of these rules are as well thought out as the left Joycon was.

Ah but I must be on topic to avoid a warning for a low content post so....

Considering the time period and hardware ceiling, it pretty much was. "Blast Processing" was purely a marketing gimmick where SEGA tried to capitalize on how "slow" SMW appeared next to Sonic, which was eventually and thoroughly upstaged by DKC anyways. Add to that Mode 7 which also demonstrated enhanced visuals and speed with games like Super Castlevania and F-Zero respectively, and later FX which enhanced 3D visuals even further and it was no contest.

That's also not even considering the vast difference in sound chip quality. Genesis at best sounded like an out of tune rusty banjo while SNES was practically a precursor to CD quality sound towards the end.

Yeah, I really don't care to debate the SNES vs the Genesis, I only mentioned it because I couldn't delete my post. However, the nice thing about the 16 bit console wars (yes, I was there) was that it wasn't all about framerates and resolutions. Oh how I cringe when I see things like 1080p and/or 60fps. Luckily I don't say 'give it a fuckin' rest, why do you people even play games if it's not for the gameplay?' even though I think it.

In 2013, Nvidia was on the Tegra 4, which was much less advanced than the X1 (released in 2015) that's in the Switch

Of course, that's still no excuse for Nintendo not putting an X2 in it.
Zelda definitely could have used a few more months in the oven for the X2 to have become available... and there's really nothing else of note out right now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here