Good Indie Games?

WARNING: This thread opener is basically going to read like an advertisement for a game I've been playing on Steam for a while. I personally have derived great enjoyment from it, so I'm going to talk at length about it. However, that does NOT detract from the main purpose of the thread being to suggest indie games to other users.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's get down to the business of suggesting indie games to each other. If this thread is too narrow or shouldn't exist, well, fine. Feel free to shut it down.

So what am I talking about there in the bolded warning up top? Fractal Phase's arcade flier Sky Rogue. Let me give you the breakdown:

First and foremost, if you go into this expecting some serious flight simulator, you're dumb. The graphics hearken back to the early days of polygonal models, like Daytona USA or Virtua Racing and such, and the gameplay itself is full-on arcade blasting goodness. If you're a fan of the older Ace Combat games or Crimson Skies or the like, Sky Rogue will feel instantly familiar.

The controls are solid. I've only had to make minor changes from the standard default scheme. You've got everything you would expect if you're using a conventional dual-analog controller, and it should feel mostly natural if you've ever played Ace Combat. The one unique thing is the addition of various "Special" gadgets in addition to the weapons you can carry: flares, a speed boost system, a tail gun turret, a rear-fire missile, even the ability to launch allied drone fighters from your own plane. One thing all playable aircraft have is a built-in dodge system, which just simply makes the plane do a quick roll while shifting either left or right to evade enemy missiles.

As for actual weapons, you've got more than most would know what to do with: long-range two-stage air-to-air missiles, short-range all-aspect air-to-air missiles, multi-shot rear-aspect infrared missiles(these things in particular are freaking LETHAL; good thing the enemy never uses them), cluster bombs, iron bombs, guided bombs, multiple different sizes of unguided rockets, an array of different guns and auto-cannons, and lastly a selection of different kinds of multi-purpose "MicroMissiles".

As for the aircraft you get to fly, well, you've got twelve different birds in the base game. I'll get to mod support in a minute, but the planes the game comes with are already pretty diverse: Bombers for pounding ground targets into scrap, Fighters for taking on everything the enemy throws at you, and Interceptors for running down enemy aircraft with long-range missiles. Light aircraft are faster and more agile, but less durable and have less space for weapons; Medium aircraft have overall balanced abilities for their class; Swing-Wings are almost identical to Mediums, except they have highly variable handling and increased speed at the expense of a little toughness; and Heavies are more durable and carry more firepower but are slower and less agile. The game's Heavy Interceptor can dominate the skies with its wide array of air-to-air missiles; while the Heavy Bomber is a monstrous flying wing that lays waste to entire formations of enemy ground forces. And the Heavy Fighter is the ultimate multi-role aircraft perfect for handling any enemy, air or ground.

You get one life to live, one shot at glory. When you get shot down, the "Tech Points" you earned from taking down the enemy are used to research new planes and weapons. You start off with just a handful of items: the basic Rogue Medium Fighter, some standard MicroMissiles, the common 20mm Vulcan, some light Dirk Rockets and the ability to launch flares to distract enemy missiles. It won't be long before you get your hands on some real firepower, though, so stick with it, and don't get discouraged just because you got shot down: You're going to come back with a new plane and some new weapons, to show those bad guys who's boss.

Between missions, you can use "Money" you've earned from killing the enemy to upgrade your aircrafts and weapons to be able to take on the more dangerous enemies you encounter on later islands. Some weapons become able to fire more shots in a salvo, others reload their ammo faster, still others gain in range or just raw damage. Find what works for you, and you'll become able to dominate the enemy and tear through the skies destroying everything and leaving only ashes in your wake. With the broad variety of weapons and planes in the game, they're sure to be a style for everyone.

Oh, yeah, I mentioned mod support. I'm just going to barely scratch the surface because there are like 250 items on the game's Steam Workshop; but you'll find all kinds of new aircraft in there: various Star Wars starfighters, numerous old and modern military planes, a vast number of ships from scrolling shooters, there's even a multi-plane pack that has more than ten different models from the old SNES Star Fox games. Plus custom weapon and custom mission support have recently been added, and custom planes can use completely custom stats instead of being based on planes the game comes with. The sky's not even close to the limit of Sky Rogue's modding potential.

And lastly, the soundtrack was updated when the game moved from Alpha to Beta release. Check this out:

So what are some good indie games the rest of you have found? Doesn't have to be Steam, either, can be anywhere, on any service or platform.

I'm a big fan of Solar 2 (mostly as a relaxing non-thinking game), The Stanley Parable, and Gunpoint. Admittedly, I haven't played many of the popular indy games though.

I like the Trine series.
After playing one it is pretty much the same, but I enjoy them.
Old school 2D sidescroller action platformer.... or something along those lines :D

I can think of several.

Now, personally, I consider an indie game to be a game that's actually independently developed and published by the same company, regardless of the size of said company. So my choice for indie game will probably differ from what most around here would consider indie. (for example, Portal 2 is an indie game but Journey is not) So instead I'll assume the OP is asking for low-budget, retro, and/or non-triple-A games instead of 'independent games'.

With that in mind, here are some of my favorites from the last few years:
---------------------
Terraria
Solar 2
Broforce
FTL
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Necropolis
Torchlight 2
Duck Game
Butcher
Deadlight
Devil Daggers
Oblitus
Heavy Bullets
Distance
Firewatch
Party Hard
Thumper
Monaco
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion (formerly Spooky's House of Jump Scares)
Ronin
Project Zomboid
Zombie Night Terror
Reprisal Universe
Apotheon
Titan Souls
Unturned
Spelunky

I'm sure I missed a few. There were a LOT of great 'indie' games in recent years.

As for upcoming, I have really high hopes for the following:
----------------------
Battletech
Hob
Rain World
Dusk
Mr. Shifty
Ruiner

Honestly? The 'indie industry' has provided me way more gaming entertainment than the triple-A industry has for at least a half decade. And looking at what each industry is offering for the next year or so....I don't think that's a trend that's going to change any time soon.

Not released yet but on the 30th March is Thimbleweed Park. Adventure game from Ron Gilbert (Monkey Island etc.) which honestly looks awesome.
X1 and Steam.

Vigormortis:
Distance

One of my faves, too.

2 indie games I absolutely adore are Ittle Dew (it now has a sequel but have yet to play that) and They Bleed Pixels.
Former is a puzzle game that oozes charm and quirkiness, while the latter is a pixel art Lovecraftian design inspired platformer.

7 Days to Die

The Avernum series
Defcon
Outlast
Empyrion (Kind of 50/50 on this one though, mainly because there's something about it that just feels missing)
Grim Dawn
Antichamber
Stardew Valley
The original Mount and Blade (back when it was an insanely small company, initially started by a Turkish couple)
Rimworld (or so I hear, haven't gotten it myself yet)
Everspace (Looks interesting, heard good things, seems inspired by Freelancer)

Some of my favorites are Amnesia: The Dark Descent (which is also my favorite horror game)
The Stanley Parable, probably the best ''walking simulator'' out there
Limbo
Inside, my 2016 GotY
Hotline Miami
Journey, one of my all time favorites
FTL
and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, not for its gameplay but for the game's style, story and soundtrack

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, especially the Call of Chernobyl fan game. Love the aesthetic and feel of it, and CoC's mostly unscripted good times.

Mother Russia Bleeds, for similar reasons. It wasn't the second coming of beat em ups like I hoped, and has problems, but it still brought home the groceries and I consider it my game of the year for 16.

Hotline Miami, I could go on all day about, being my favorite game of this modern age period.

The Forest for being one of the first survival horror that's engaged me in awhile, especially that last hour and a half near the end of it. *SHUDDER*

River City Ransom: Underground. Mostly a nostalgia goggles indulgence, but a very fun one with solid gameplay to go with it.

Haven't seen anybody suggest Va-11 Hall-a
It's a very good indie game that I don't people talking about much.

A couple I adore despite their flaws.

Kentucky Route Zero-It's a walking Simulator but it actually does the idea justice, where you are now free to explore enviroments and meet people without being distracted, and the world and characters make it worth it. It's made by a super small company, which leads into it's only real flaw, and that's the fact the release schedule has been akin to valve time. Episodes that last maybe 2 hours tops take years to release, with no updates for long, long stretches and no real explanation then "We have a process". So still no idea when the final episode is going to release.

Superbrothers: Sword And Sworcery- It's an adventure fantasy game, with phone controls and the characters all talk like they're on twitter. But it has a lot of charm, doesn't overstay it's welcome(can easily been beaten in a few hours) and has a beatiful prog rock soundtrack. I also get a kick out of the fact that the boss battles(which are essentially rythem games) can be described as "Fighting the album cover to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon". It also has the unique mechanic of having your character get weaker as the game progresses, because each major story event removes a bit of your health bar permenatly, reinforcing the story that the PC is basically having her life drained/getting more injured by this journey.

The Dream Machine-Another adventure game, made with claymation and cardbord animation and invovles going into people's dreams to free them from an insidious machine. Beatiful and works off dream logic. However, another game that has a crappy release schedule(but the release date for the final episode is finally out, which is Mid-may of this year.

I don't know if they are indie developers, but this specific game is glorious!
ZANGEKI WARP is its name and take the concept of a classic Shmup and combining it with teleportation gameplay mechanics: At any time you can freeze the time and teleport whatever you want around the field [or air more accurately]. It is VERY addictive! Highly recommended.

Irwin126:
Haven't seen anybody suggest Va-11 Hall-a
It's a very good indie game that I don't people talking about much.

Then I highly suggest to play Va-11 Hall-a 2:

LIST TIME!!!:

SkullGirls - One of the best 2d fighters out there

Broforce - Amazing coop sidescrolling violence

20XX - Best Megaman X clone I've ever seen

They Bleed Pixels - mega hard platformer kind of like super meatboy

Binding Of Isaac - we all know

Hollow Knight - 2d metroid sidescroller with the tone of darksouls

Ultimate Chicken Horse - the best competetive platformer out as of now

Darkest Dungeon - amazing party based dungeon crawler

Orcs Must Die 2 - hero based tower defense, play with firends

Pit People - from the makers of castle crashers, amazing coop tactical rpg

Smithnikov:
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, especially the Call of Chernobyl fan game. Love the aesthetic and feel of it, and CoC's mostly unscripted good times.

Mother Russia Bleeds, for similar reasons. It wasn't the second coming of beat em ups like I hoped, and has problems, but it still brought home the groceries and I consider it my game of the year for 16.

Hotline Miami, I could go on all day about, being my favorite game of this modern age period.

The Forest for being one of the first survival horror that's engaged me in awhile, especially that last hour and a half near the end of it. *SHUDDER*

River City Ransom: Underground. Mostly a nostalgia goggles indulgence, but a very fun one with solid gameplay to go with it.

STALKER is a AA game. It had a 10-15 million dollar budget and a publisher. Sure, not an expensive overproduced schlock like some other AAA video games it tramples all over with ease, but it isnt indie :P

And Call of Chernobyl is a mod. Sure, an amazing mod that makes Open World AAA developers look like children, incompetent plebeians... but it isn't an indie game either (though I can see someone make a good case for it being one... I guess).

Poetic Nova:
2 indie games I absolutely adore are Ittle Dew (it now has a sequel but have yet to play that) and They Bleed Pixels.
Former is a puzzle game that oozes charm and quirkiness, while the latter is a pixel art Lovecraftian design inspired platformer.

I quote you because the game I'm about to mention is made by the people behind Ittle Dew.

Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt.

It's a game about healing people, and this healing is represented in single screen Bullet Hell stages.

The diseases are often humorous in nature. The humor is never mean spirited, meaning the game is overall rather adorable.

Available on Steam for the nice price of 0 USD(0€ and ~0?), beatable in less than two hours. Currently the 61st best reviewed game there.

It has been compared to Undertale. I cannot verify this myself, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem to be a bad comparison.

LISA is one of my favourite games and I honestly believe it should have been as lauded as Undertale.

Though where Undertale goes the cheery route (mostly), LISA is dark, dreary, and depressing, start to finish.

Don't let the fact that it's an RPG Maker game throw you off, it is legitimately fantastic.

Bedinsis:

Poetic Nova:

I quote you because the game I'm about to mention is made by the people behind Ittle Dew.

Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt.

It's a game about healing people, and this healing is represented in single screen Bullet Hell stages.

The diseases are often humorous in nature. The humor is never mean spirited, meaning the game is overall rather adorable.

Available on Steam for the nice price of 0 USD(0? and ~0?), beatable in less than two hours. Currently the 61st best reviewed game there.

It has been compared to Undertale. I cannot verify this myself, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem to be a bad comparison.

Huh. Thank you for bringing this up, checking it out now.

Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned. In the interest of saving space (because I seem to play a lot of indie games atm) here are a few that haven't been mentioned yet. All of these are on Steam.

Atomic 79 - An arena shooter with a simple premise. Collect the gold, shoot the skelltons and try not to die. It's not a deep game, but what it does do is done well. Well worth the $4.

Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander - A strategy game that feels like Crisis Management: The Game. The strategy layer plays like XCOM, although with the added wrinkle of managing offsite resources. You manage threats, train extra staff and expand your starbase in a real time with pause environment. All the combat is turn based, with each ship having a range of attacks, depending on the class of the ship and the abilities of your captains.

Enemy - A retro inspired squad based RPG. Take your crew of up to 6 characters on a journey to rid the world of the four bosses plaguing the world.

Just recently released, May 25th. Are you an arcade games fan? Well, one of the popular and sought after arcade game is now available in Google Play Store, download now Strikers 1945: World War. This is a collaboration game from Striker 1945, Tengai and Gunbird. Super fun to play and easy to play. I got addicted to the game easily. Try the game NOW!

It seems everyone already mentioned all the games from my list. Well, except for The Witness (I kinda get obsessed with this kind of puzzle games) and Shovel Knight (specially the Plague of Shadows DLC).

Since I've played a few more games in the past few months.

A night in the woods- An Adventure platformer which on the surface is a cartoony game about furries. Except that the real meat of the game is about a girl who abandons college to come home to her home town despite not really having much left there to go back to. Not much of a plot until the 3rd act and until then the gameplay consists mostly of faffing about all day and picking a friend to hang out with at night. The game is built on setting, characters, themes with some mini-games that pop up as the game progresses related to whatever is going on. Also gets kudos for having a very unlikable protagonist who can still be empathized with.

Little Nightmares- Basically, a platformer like Limbo or INSIDE but with a 2.5d field of movement and more 3d look to it. Looks really good and some of the puzzles are fiendish with some good platforming segments.

Hylics - Claymation, action figures, and surrealism make for a grand ol' time
UnderRail - A CRPG that puts FO4 to shame
Magic Wand - thecatamites have a shelf full of bottles entrapping lightning

I consider Thomas was Alone to be one of my favourite games of all time. For a game that involves various squares and rectangles jumping around the place, the story is remarkably touching and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Also, Stardew Valley is not a game as it is a crippling addiction. I have been playing this game for so long that the next games graphics are going to blow me away. That's not to say this game is ugly, it's not, it's quite beautiful in places. It is deceptively simple and deep game that will keep throwing new stuff at you. And the story, what there is of it, touches on subjects such as depression, alcoholism, loneliness and big business trying to drive small business out of...er...business. I love it and as I said, I am addicted to it, which is not helping my growing backlog of games if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to my farming.

[quote="Smithnikov" post="9.948392.23936750"]The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, especially the Call of Chernobyl fan game. Love the aesthetic and feel of it, and CoC's mostly unscripted good times.

"It wasn't the second coming of beat em ups like I hoped"

Honey you could not be more wrong to me. I am not even a huge fan of beat em ups. I like them but I do not love them. Mother Russia Bleeds is one of two Beat Em Ups I do love and was my favourite game of 2016. In fact its pressing hard as my favourite Beat Em Up period.

If anyone who wants a beat em up from recent years that actually does literally beat up all of its few competition and toss the pieces of their battered corpses into a pool of used syringes Mother Russia Bleeds is the Beat Em Up to play.

Thumper: Extremely fast, challenging and insane game, very unique and fun.
Half Minute hero 1 and 2: RPGs where you have a minute to finish each quest, and somehow it works.
Cave Story: Classic platformer, much easier than everyone claims until you get to the bonus stages but very fun.
Ben there, Dan That, Time Gentlemen Please, Randal's Monday, Dropsy and Space Quest Incinerations and Vohaul Strikes Back: Hilarious and creative adventure games with complex puzzles.
Super Mario Brothers X: A full game not to be confused with the ROMhack of a similar name, mixing a variety of fan-made Mario stage that also have elements of other Nintendo games.
Hotline Miami 1 and 2: Strange games with lots of challenge, fun, complex stories and creativity.
Rock of Ages 1 and 2: Strange games with Monty Python-style humor and Marble madness-style gameplay.
Zeno Clash 1 and 2: Surreal, subtle games reminiscent of Breakdown.

PurplePonyArcade:

Honey you could not be more wrong to me. I am not even a huge fan of beat em ups. I like them but I do not love them. Mother Russia Bleeds is one of two Beat Em Ups I do love and was my favourite game of 2016. In fact its pressing hard as my favourite Beat Em Up period.

I like the game too. Hell, I LOVE it, it's stylistically everything I hoped for, but as someone who's a devotee at the church of beat em ups, it could have done better in terms of variety with it's characters.

Brigand: Oaxaca. It's a highly-difficult old-school FPS/RPG set in post-apocalyptic Mexico.

Guffe:
I like the Trine series.
After playing one it is pretty much the same, but I enjoy them.
Old school 2D sidescroller action platformer.... or something along those lines :D

I adore the Trine series myself. I think all three have very different balance/focuses under a similar game play design philosophy though. The first one uses gear and secrets to upgrade your hero but I prefer the second. While there isn't any gear to find, the lack of magic cost and the more imaginative skill tree made for more fun in terms of experimentation and progression. The third game isn't one that I've spent a lot of time with but that's only because of my backlog. I CAN say that all of the character's animations, namely Zoya are on a completely different level in part 3 and the change from side scrolling to sometimes third person action is a welcome addition.

All three have amazing art direction though and all three have the amazing Ari Pulkinnen as composer. It's trilogy that shouldn't be missed.

Hollow Knight's another title that hit me right in the gameplay/art/aural feels. Probably the best metroidvania to have come along in a looooooong time.

Nex Machina (also composed by Ari Pulkinnen though you couldn't tell, trust me) is a brilliant twin stick shooter designed in part by the original creator of Robotron 2084. It has tight old school action wrapped around 30 something years of evolution presentation-wise. This one WILL leave your palms sweaty. Especially on higher difficulties.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here