Drawn To Death is actually.... kinda awesome!!!!

Had no idea I'd like that game so much. It's free this month on PSN Plus, and I was surprised by the game's creativity.

There's also the kind of silly humor and gore I associate to a '90s attitudefest, but WITHOUT ever going with that annoying "hey remember the '90s, they were pretty good" and without trying to cash on nostalgia. No, this game does its own thing.

I understand certain people aren't going to like a game where the drawing of an autopsy frog insults you and swears every minute.
But the prophanity is part of the style of the game in the same way the hyperviolence is part of Mortal Kombat. And you can't do a game about the mind of an edgy teenager without dumb, offensive, funny jokes.

Most of all, the style, the character design and general atmosphere of creativity in the game is a big turn-on for me.

I dunno, I just wanted to say I'm impressed. If someone wants to play this game lemme know!

In b4 someone says PSN Plus isn't actually "free".

But yeah, been meaning to download this as the brand of humor has peaked my curiosity if nothing else. I mean really, what other game has a half great white shark/hooker that throws other sharks at people, or a monkey that drops duece in its hand and flings it like a stink grenade.

The fact that it almost feels like a giant subliminal middle finger to P.C. culture is reason enough to give it a try.

hanselthecaretaker:

But yeah, been meaning to download this as the brand of humor has peaked my curiosity if nothing else. I mean really, what other game has a half great white shark/hooker that throws other sharks at people, or a monkey that drops duece in its hand and flings it like a stink grenade.

The fact that it almost feels like a giant subliminal middle finger to P.C. culture is reason enough to give it a try.

Oh, I dunno. I'm all for politically correct stuff, myself. I'm a "SJW".

Yet I love the crass humor of that videogame, maybe because it makes fun of people like me. I dunno, it doesn't feel offensive, it feels tongue-in-cheek and goodwilled. You gotta be able to laugh at yourself sometime!

Yet some people felt offended by how much the game calls them idiots and other names. Really? If you get offended because a prerecorded message in a videogame calls you and everyone else an idiot just as a wellmeaning joke, then you have issues, man.

Nature Guardian:

Yet I love the crass humor of that videogame, maybe because it makes fun of people like me. I dunno, it doesn't feel offensive, it feels tongue-in-cheek and goodwilled. You gotta be able to laugh at yourself sometime!

Yet some people felt offended by how much the game calls them idiots and other names. Really? If you get offended because a prerecorded message in a videogame calls you and everyone else an idiot just as a wellmeaning joke, then you have issues, man.

That did confuse me a little also, as i pretty enjoy the game and haven't noticed anything about it that would possibly brush even close to "un-PC" content. Maybe the definitions keep changing or whatever, i can never keep up, or indeed care.

It's purposefully immature and childishly vulgar, but creative and high-octane battles with plenty of cartoon violence, yet And i quite enjoy a game taking the piss out of me, as i am very much an idiot and did fall for that certain tutorial trick. But only because it asked twice. It's hilarious that people would take personal offense at that stuff, probably more hilarious than the joke itself.

Oh well, Cyborgula is pretty great. I'm just not that good at the game yet. Competitive multiplayer isn't a regular activity for woodland creatures.

Nature Guardian:

hanselthecaretaker:

That's the whole point! It's ironic that we as an "advanced" species strive for perfection when it will ultimately be what destroys our humanity.

It wouldn't be the least bit surprising if most of the low scores have been influenced by the offensive content. I only read one review but it was a big part of the complaints.

Xsjadoblayde:

That did confuse me a little also, as i pretty enjoy the game and haven't noticed anything about it that would possibly brush even close to "un-PC" content. Maybe the definitions keep changing or whatever, i can never keep up, or indeed care.

It's purposefully immature and childishly vulgar, but creative and high-octane battles with plenty of cartoon violence, yet And i quite enjoy a game taking the piss out of me, as i am very much an idiot and did fall for that certain tutorial trick. But only because it asked twice. It's hilarious that people would take personal offense at that stuff, probably more hilarious than the joke itself.

Oh well, Cyborgula is pretty great. I'm just not that good at the game yet. Competitive multiplayer isn't a regular activity for woodland creatures.

My favorite to play is probably Ninjaw, although I must admit, I'd play the heck out of a non-ironic, actual videogame about Diabla Tijuana.

I'm trying to use all of the characters, however. I love the feeling of progression you get when you go from losing every match ever, to doing more decently even if you lose, to starting to win....

Gave it a try last night. Will keep it installed but am in no hurry to get back to it. More of a "kill a few minutes" type of thing for me, since I'm still trying to get through some other meatier titles.

Having said that, it is pretty fun for what it is. It has a distinct style, lots of cool stages, weapons, characters with unique abilities, and it plays pretty smoothly. I'm personally just not one to sink a bunch of time into a deathmatch style shooter these days. Maybe because I'd get sucked into the competitive aspect of it too easily, and forget about everything else I'd like to play yet.

hanselthecaretaker:

Oh this I just gotta hear.

Care to elaborate?

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

Care to elaborate?

Let's see, an Asian hooker with a shark head, a monkey that poops in his hand and throws it like a grenade, a frog that calls the player an idiot, a severed dude hanging off someone's back, an npc with eyes that look like boobs, other random scenery that could be "offensive to whoever, etc.

There's nothing that is all out racist or what ever, but there's definitely more there than other games that've gotten dinged for less.

hanselthecaretaker:

Fuck me, the standard of crass humour has gotten worse than I thought. That's barely even irreverent.

It is something I think will dl the next time my PS4 is turned on.

Still, last couple of months for Gold and PSN have disappointed me. Hope this breaks a streak.

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

Care to elaborate?

Let's see, an Asian hooker with a shark head, a monkey that poops in his hand and throws it like a grenade, a frog that calls the player an idiot, a severed dude hanging off someone's back, an npc with eyes that look like boobs, other random scenery that could be "offensive to whoever, etc.

There's nothing that is all out racist or what ever, but there's definitely more there than other games that've gotten dinged for less.

Riiight.

Could you please define "P.C. culture" in your own words? Preferably without resort to google or whatnot, but obviously I can't stop you doing that.

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

Care to elaborate?

Riiight.

Could you please define "P.C. culture" in your own words? Preferably without resort to google or whatnot, but obviously I can't stop you doing that.

Hmmm...at this point it's pretty much an aim to eliminate anything that offends anyone. An attempt at the sterilization of a human culture which is ultimately incapable of being sterilized.

Considering some of the key adjectives used to describe Drawn to Death's style and brand of humor seem to be "obnoxious", "crass", "abusive", "intolerable", I think it's safe to say the game doesn't care if it offends or hurts people's feelings.

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

Riiight.

Hmmm...at this point it's pretty much an aim to eliminate anything that offends anyone. An attempt at the sterilization of a human culture which is ultimately incapable of being sterilized.

Considering some of the key adjectives used to describe Drawn to Death's style and brand of humor seem to be "obnoxious", "crass", "abusive", "intolerable", I think it's safe to say the game doesn't care if it offends or hurts people's feelings.

Haha. Whoo boy. The internet sure has done a number on you buddy.

Thank you for indulging me.

Maybe it's because I kind of 'grew up' during the 90s...but the game DOES click with me.

My only issue is the MP focus.
I'd LOVE to 'git gud' against some bots.

Tanis:
Maybe it's because I kind of 'grew up' during the 90s...but the game DOES click with me.

I feel just the same!!

My only issue is the MP focus.
I'd LOVE to 'git gud' against some bots.

The announcer jokingly says they didn't have the budget for a single player experience. :(

Hey send me a message here and let's exchange our psn ids if you like!

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

Riiight.

Haha. Whoo boy. The internet sure has done a number on you buddy.

Thank you for indulging me.

The internet is the last bastion of free speech actually. It's pretty much everything else that's done a "number"!

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

Riiight.

Son, you cannot even begin to know the meaning of crass. This is merely infantile.

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

Riiight.

Honestly, if that's how people are describing the humor, it sounds less anti-pc and more just unfunny and immature. Like if you played a game about annoying memes that randomly shit themselves. What you're describing doesn't sound like jokes. It just sounds like random for the sake of random. When I think of funny, anti-PC humor, I think of making actual jokes about things that are generally considered taboo to joke about. For example, Louis CK's latest special has a fairly long bit devoted to joking about suicide. Immature humor =/= anti-PC humor. Not saying that's what this is, just based on your descriptors, that's the impression I'm getting. Randomness, swearing, and poop just for the sake of it.

I played it for a couple of hours earlier on today. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not that good at MP focused games but I was going pretty alright, managed to hold my own, especially playing as the demon cowgirl. The announcer was quite annoying but I was listening to podcasts while playing so it didnt bother me for long.

There was quite a bit of waiting between matches though and a few crashes too. Cant see myself playing it all the time but it'll probably be my podcast game for a while.

RedDeadFred:

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

Riiight.

Honestly, if that's how people are describing the humor, it sounds less anti-pc and more just unfunny and immature. Like if you played a game about annoying memes that randomly shit themselves. What you're describing doesn't sound like jokes. It just sounds like random for the sake of random. When I think of funny, anti-PC humor, I think of making actual jokes about things that are generally considered taboo to joke about. For example, Louis CK's latest special has a fairly long bit devoted to joking about suicide. Immature humor =/= anti-PC humor. Not saying that's what this is, just based on your descriptors, that's the impression I'm getting. Randomness, swearing, and poop just for the sake of it.

To be fair, that basically sums up the British adult comic Viz, although I doubt this is anywhere near as daring or funny as, say, the average Fat Slags strip.

Competitive third person shooters always rub me the wrong way. I feel more out of control in third person games than I do first person, and thus I tend to stay away from them in PVP environments. They just never...feel right.

I still play third person games of course, but typically only in co-op/single player games.

This simple perspective is enough to make me give the game a pass, free with PS Plus or not.

RedDeadFred:

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

Riiight.

Yeah it's definitely juvenile. I should've clarified there's nothing specifically jabbing or clever about its content; basically just that if nothing else, it's not afraid to be what you described in that last sentence. Quite a step below even games like Conquer's BFD.

hanselthecaretaker:

RedDeadFred:

hanselthecaretaker:

Yeah it's definitely juvenile. I should've clarified there's nothing specifically jabbing or clever about its content; basically just that if nothing else, it's not afraid to be what you described in that last sentence. Quite a step below even games like Conquer's BFD.

The game is neither crass nor juvenile. Actually, it even makes a couple statements smarter than those of most videogames (i.e. "If you read the news from websites that already push your point of view, you are not reading the news. You are reading a fan fiction.").

The game ACTS crass and juvenile because its entire style is about looking like a bored and rebellious teen's notebook.

I got to try the tutorial. It was reasonably fun and funny. It has a terrific art style unlike anything else I've played in a long time. But when I went to play on like, after 2 minutes not even one other player joined me so I shut it down.

Gorfias:
I got to try the tutorial. It was reasonably fun and funny. It has a terrific art style unlike anything else I've played in a long time. But when I went to play on like, after 2 minutes not even one other player joined me so I shut it down.

League Of Legends, which has millions of players online, has a 5-10 minutes of matchmaking time,

Nature Guardian:

Gorfias:

League Of Legends, which has millions of players online, has a 5-10 minutes of matchmaking time,

Shocking! I just don't have time to wait like that!

Gorfias:

Nature Guardian:

Gorfias:

You're so lucky you weren't around during the glory days of the first home entertainment systems.

I'd wait from 10 to 20 minutes to load a videogame.

Nature Guardian:

Gorfias:

Nature Guardian:

You're so lucky you weren't around during the glory days of the first home entertainment systems.

I'd wait from 10 to 20 minutes to load a videogame.

Actually, I was, but I was younger and had way more free time. It used to take several minutes to load a decent Commodore 64 game. I don't think I ever played online before the 360 though, and then not much.

Now I can get into a single player game in under five minutes. Still, a lot of them then have updates that make me wait.

I think my best experience as that Xbox 1 sold Titanfall 1 deluxe for $5 and I could reasonably quickly get into an online game that would be well populated quickly.

But just last night, I went to play Destiny on the PS4 and couldn't as it was doing an update.

I'll keep trying as I really think I'm missing out on something just focusing on single player games. But I take your meaning. I just have to be more patient.

Gorfias:

I'll keep trying as I really think I'm missing out on something just focusing on single player games.

Well, to be honest, I play multiplayer games which have cool concepts or gameplay ideas, but a part of me does wish they were single player.

But I don't want to miss on cool concepts or fun gameplay because they sadly don't also have a singleplayer, so I have to manage.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here