Did you have any exciting, scary, weird, or loving dreams after player a video game?

I'll start. As a kid, I used to dream about racing or running with Sonic, or night clubbing with the cast of Streets of Rage.

Sometimes I still get video game dreams. Just last week, I dreamed of fishing with 2B and 9S.

Let's just say that I still get thoughts and dreams about Dr. Liara T'Soni of Mass Effect... Not necessarily lewd ones, really, as I don't really see her as a "sexy" character, despite the Asari being generally presented as the "sexy alien girl" species of the setting.

Most of them involve taking Liara away somewhere private after what happened on Noveria... Won't get into details because I don't want to spoil it for those who still haven't played that ten year old game, but I'll just say that it's pretty much just hurt/comfort fanfic and leave it at that.

Not really.

Occasionally I'll have a dream that involves some small detail that clearly came from a game. For example, I once saw the static-y image effect of the tears in Bioshock Infinite in a dream.

Silent Hill 2 gave me nightmares. Or rather, a nightmare. One that was so bad that I stopped playing the game. Once I got to the point where it's night, you go outside and walk across some grates with Closer creatures swinging beneath you, I couldn't take it anymore.
Still haven't touched the game to this day.

Well usually I don't, but I wish I did. Sadly I dream about real life rather than videogames. Friggin' adulthood.

Yes, often.

Though I did not bother to remember any specific ones since I wasnt expecting this topic so...

Depends. Usually no, but if I've played a game for a long time and just before bed, I might dream of it. For a lack of a better term, that I am inside the game, although that makes it much more interesting than it really is. It mostly happened with well structured games, for example, turn based strategies where you repeat certain actions (for example: "move units, build, end turn, repeat") - in my dreams I am usually caught in a similar loop - either observing the game (somehow) or just doing stuff myself. It's not exactly pleasant - it's actually frustrating sometimes bordering a nightmare: I'd usually be stuck in some unsolvable endless loop and it's very uncomfortable. A frequent element is that I'm trying to accomplish a goal but each new turn undoes my progress or I'm trying to escape but if I do something to advance, then something else sets me back.

It's not a great description, I know, but trust me - it's quite annoying at best. Imagine playing, say, Bejeweled or some other similar puzzle game and you know you just HAVE to finish - think "clear the screen", yet it's in endless mode, so you literally cannot do that ever so there is literally no finishing. However, the only thing you are allowed to do is keep playing.

The frustration is sometimes enough to wake me up. Not unlike waking up from a nightmare which is why I draw the comparison before.

I know it's happened a bunch, but it's been more and more rare over the years, so I wish it happened more often. Although that could be fixed if I had a decent sleep schedule, but whatever.

The only time I can actually remember now though is from way back when CoD:MW2 came out. I was insanely addicted to that game and never wanted to stop playing it. It got to the point where I was having multiple dreams a week of what was basically "live action" CoD fights, where I was actually running around that map with the cabin in the middle shooting people and getting shot, respawning and doing it again. Those dreams were not fun though. They were all basically free-for-alls and I was not granted some magical dream ability of being some god quickscoper or something. I was just a regular soldier man getting gunned down, and it fucking hurt. The dream pain of getting shot wasn't enough to wake me up, but damn did it hurt when I actually woke up and felt like I just got done playing paintball. The pain is probably why I remember those dreams.

I had, on occasion, thought with portals outside of the game.

My dreams always run on video game logic. ALWAYS. "Chaos Control" has become my typical method of "flight" in dreams to the point where it's nearly instinctual.

I also have dreams of games I've recently played. Usually playing in weirdass ways that don't make sense.

Not that I can recall, but I did have a dream last night that was in the next Guardians of the Galaxy. Not that I was in a movie but I was an actual Guardian. It was pretty action packed, I'm stoked about it.

Very occasionally I'll have dreams about playing a game that doesn't exist but is similar to another game I've played. One I remember off the top of my head was like Just Cause but more along the lines of Saints Row 3 and Red Alert 2 in tone and colorfulness.

And then other days I dream I'm playing an old style(8 or 16 bit) Final Fantasy game that doesn't exist. Not that I remember that until I wake up.

So apparently I get the pleasure of dreaming about games I can never play.

After getting a Vive and binging on VR games, I had a LOT of lucid dreams for a while, until I got used to it. I think this is because my mind perceives VR similarly to how it perceives dreams, and the feeling of control I have in them translates in dreams..? Anyway, it was absolutely awesome while it lasted.

No. But i have ways of garunteeing nightmares these days. Am considering maybe calling it a (useless) superpower, but it doesn't seem that preferable for some unknown reason, compared to the lucid period i had, unless needing some creative inspiration of the soul-killing variety.

No except once when I fist played Resident Evil 2 way back in the day. That night I had a nightmare that I was stuck I was being hunted by zombies and lickers and I was trying to get to the Police station so I could meet up with Leon. It was awesome and I remember it clearly to this day because at some point it turned into a lucid dream, and hey it was my dream so why not be a total zombie slaying badass?

Sometimes I also see road networks and intersections when I close my eyes if I've been hitting the Cities: Skylines hard before bed though.

Survival Horror games can make me have nightmares about being pursued by a monster. But that's pretty much the point of horror, isn't it?

I have literally had ascii text mode dreams. I'm pretty sure that I got that from Nethack and other text-mode games.

And the original Silent Hill game me messed up dreams for *years* afterward.

I used to hear the Oblivion music in my dreams because I played that game so much. I couldn't escape from that music, it was always in my head.

But other than that, no, but my dreams are weirder than most people and I'm not even in most of them.

x EvilErmine x:
No except once when I fist played Resident Evil 2 way back in the day. That night I had a nightmare that I was stuck I was being hunted by zombies and lickers and I was trying to get to the Police station so I could meet up with Leon. It was awesome and I remember it clearly to this day because at some point it turned into a lucid dream, and hey it was my dream so why not be a total zombie slaying badass?

Sometimes I also see road networks and intersections when I close my eyes if I've been hitting the Cities: Skylines hard before bed though.

The RE2 nightmares, I've had plenty of them. I couldn't sleep for two weeks. My nightmares usually involved the lickers, or Birkin's 3rd form.

A few but I tend to get more from books probably because I read more just before I sleep. Apparently when I was younger I was talking about fish in my sleep to my mother who had walked into my room I remember the dream but did not realise I was talking in real life as well lol. I got annoyed when she did not understand and had to tell her that you have to grill the fish to eat it.

I was playing a lot of Dark Chronicle at the time or Dark Cloud 2 if your in america apparently and if you had not guessed I was doing a lot of fishing in it.

I've had to kind of reverse dream journal train myself to forget my dreams, they have a tendency to be very disturbing and disruptive (I have had dreams where I lived for a week to a month in the dream and the events remained plausible enough that it was difficult to remember that those "weeks" didn't actually happen.) So I haven't had more than a handful of dreams I remembered for more than a minute or so since I was a teenager. But an early one I remember mixed Pac-Man and Joust. My family and friends somehow were pac-men? mans? however you would pluralize pac-people. Now imagine large human sized neon colored knights from joust riding huge scaled ostriches. And the best way to describe the overall look was... did you watch Tron: Legacy? That's the look of this dream. Seeing that movie brought me right back to that dream I had in 84 or 85. Me and the pac-people were doing ok at avoiding getting hit until the knights ditched their lances and started throwing 4-way tire irons with deadly accuracy. As friends and family fell around me I was left to pick up the tire irons and fight back, sometimes having to resort to using them as melee weapons if I was pressed. And the sounds were the mixed foley of broken bones and blood splats of a horror movie mixed in with the music cues and midi tone screeches of joust and pac man.

It didn't end well either. Like Joust, they just kept coming in larger and tougher waves.

Yes, though none I can remember specifics of. Usually its beating that boss or section I'm stuck on, usually by doing something you can't actually do in the game, or I'm doing so badly I'm actually losing progress (again, something you can't do in the game).

Had a few random chinwag's with characters I like too.

Yes, it is a common case with me. Almost every night I've dreams related to Dota 2, counter strike or overwatch, playing matches with my friends or sometimes even entering top class tournaments.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here